Code of Conduct

Default Newbie requesting recommendations

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and fragrances in general, and am looking for one or two to purchase. I've owned Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male forever and rarely used it, but love the scent despite the absence of longevity for me. I recently purchased Issey Myake's L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport after being exposed to it via GQ and tested it at Bloomingdales. I like it and it has longevity, but it's not quite what I'm after. I've also sampled Versace's Eros and enjoyed it, but it didn't last more than an hour.

I'm looking for something with longevity, has enough projection to catch someone's scent that walks by me (but not overburdening, of course), and is very "fresh." I'm not a fan of spice. I work in finance and wear a suit everyday. I'm sure this "background" information is not very adequate, but does anyone have any recommendations for a newbie to the fragrance world who wants to make an impression?

One other thing: how do you all sample the new fragrances?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sartrean; 1st April 2013 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: Newbie requesting recommendations

Acqua Di Parma Colonia.

Welcome!

Rive Gauche is a very fresh and clean fougere, and should be long lasting. For freshness, in general, I like a lot vetivers, which smell green, slightly grassy, and natural, and tend to last well. A mainstream examples are Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. More expensive, there's the gorgeous Chanel Sycomore, which I like to use a lot too for office here in hot Washington DC's summers.

Strange about Le Male, most people think it is quite powerful. Are you sure it's not olfactory fatigue? Often, our nose cancels smells after a while. Ask someone else whether you're still projecting the smell, perhaps you don't smell it but it's there.

As for how to try, at the store I use paperstrip to see if I like something or not; there's simply not enough skin, and after 4 or 5 scents, the nose goes off; with paperstrips, I can check them later, as paper keeps the scent for a long time. But for longevity and projection, there's no substitute to trying on skin.

cacio

Try Bleu de Chanel...or, dare I say it? Aventus.

Surprised about Le Male's longevity on you...

Cacio's choices are excellent.

I work indoors as well and these are my safe bets anyday: Terre de Hermes EDT / New York EDT by Parfum de Nicolai / Knize 10 / Bel Ami / Eau Sauvage / Acqua di Parma's Intensa or Essenza - all are excellent frags, good longevity as well...

Burberry London

Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace pour Homme, Bond No. 9 Eau de New York

Blog Entries

The first thing that came to mind after reading the OP is: Terre d'Hermes by Hermes

followed by Bleu de Chanel and Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

Basenotes Plus

Terre d'Hermes.

- - - Updated - - -

Bleecker Street

Thank you for all of the recommendations! I will have to make my way to Bloomingdales tomorrow during lunch to try as many as they carry off of this list.

Are there any other stores I should look for? I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, so if Bloomingdales doesn't have them I'll have to make a trip to New York City.

Also, I will spray Le Male and ask the people around me if they still smell it later in the day. Thanks for the advice!

Versace Pour Homme is one I always recommend for people just starting out.... such a great clean citrus scent that smells great and gets compliments.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Green Irish Tweed

Fresh and orangy is Terre D'hermes. Most of the Acqua Di Parma is also highly recommended. Best way so sample is either visit to shops or to buy tons of samples from luckyscent. It is worth it if you plan to buy more than one perfume. Try to get samples for different type of perfumes based on what you like.

Lanvin l'homme sport
    This one is inexpensive, smells great, good longevity and noone else will be wearing it

roadster is a perfect scent for work. Pure Havane would also work just go easy on the sprayer.

Update!

So I received some samples that I've been trying each day, and so far the winners are #1) Creed: Green Irish Tweed, #2) Burberry London for Men, #3) YSL L'Homme, #4) Acqua di Parma Colonia (in that order). I love the Creed and the Burberry, and I like the others.

I've also tried the following, but do not really like them:

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Chanel No. 5 EDT
    Acqua di Gio
    DIOR Eau Savage
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes

I still have left to try: YSL La Nuit de L'Homme and Chanel Egoiste Platinum.

It looks like I'll be picking up some Creed, and if anyone has any more recommendations based on this post feel free to let me know and I'll give them a try!

Thanks again!

I win! Glad you've found some winners. Now, like the rest of us, prepare to keep "looking" for that perfect one perpetually.

Versace Eau Fraiche.