Code of Conduct

Default Most classic male fragrance?

What do you guys think is the most classic male fragrance?

The masculine equivalent of.. Chanel's No. 5 perhaps?
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Default Re: Most classic male fragrance?

From what I've tried, Guerlain Habit Rouge.

Basenotes Junkie

guerlain vetiver.
    i think its important to distinguish between 'the most classic' and ' my favorite classic'

Very subjective. I'll pick Eau Sauvage and just call it a classic among many.

Habit Rouge is more classic than the other classics, IMO.

Interesting point. There is simply no masculine that has a place in the popular imagination as Chanel No 5 - and if you will, in the more restricted world of perfume lovers, of Mitsouko. Perhaps it's just that in this domain, the male was always considered the inferior of the species.

cacio

For me its Guerlain Derby
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Which "is" is not possible, as choice varies by the person - u'll need at least 5-10, which u can find from this old link...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297609-The-Most-Classic-Smelling-Men-s-Cologne

Guerlain vetiver and heritage like cool vs warm.

Basenotes Plus

Seems like one of those questions that could have many correct answers. But as some other posters have mentioned Guerlain Vetiver would certainly be a candidate

Dunhill for Men and Polo by Ralph Lauren.

Apart from seconding Habit Rouge, ADP Colonia, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, Caron pour un Homme, Chanel pour Monsieur, Knize Ten are also- in my opinion- likely choices.

+1 Chanel Pour Monsieur.

another for Chanel Pour Monsieur

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Interesting point. There is simply no masculine that has a place in the popular imagination as Chanel No 5
    I would agree with this. Chanel No 5 is a bit of a special case, a landmark for many reasons:

- It is arguably the first "designer" scent. Before it, perfumes came from perfumiers or cosmetics companies. Chanel knew this herself and set up a joint venture with the owners of Bourjois. This goes on today, look at the companies that have licensed to L'Oreal.

- No 5 was a new kind of scent. Before it there were daring scents that would get you called all sorts of names, which would never be worn by ladies from polite society, who probably only used lavender water. No 5 was targeted at the new youth of the 1920s, the "flappers" and the "bright young things". It was a middle ground, a third way.

Few mens fragrances have survived from this time up to now. I think No 5 has partly because it is the signature of such a well known brand that is still alive and well in 2013, and partly because aldehydic florals may have dated, but they have never gone completely out of fashion, new fragrances of this genre have still been made in the last decade. They are still popular.

If Mouchoir de Monsieur is an example of the kind of fragrances available to men in the 1920s then I'm not surprised not many of them have survived to today.

No, if you want a "masculine equivalent of No 5", you need a fragrance created several generations ago, that has never gone away, and may be seen by the masses as dated but is just as much a recognised brand today as it ever was. And the closest we have to that is Aramis.
    Last edited by andym72; 1st April 2013 at 07:58 PM.

...Knize Ten (1924)...!

Agree with andym72's excellent reply. Aramis definitely qualifies!

Guerlain Vetiver

+1 Eau Sauvage

Givenchy Vetyver to me !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

+1 Eau Sauvage , a legendary classic ...

Maybe Dunhill 1934...
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Old Spice

Caron Pour Homme

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Old Spice
    This.

IMHO there is no male equivalent to Chanel No.5.
    Chanel No.5 has instant and broad recognition amongst fragrance aficionados and "civilians" as a luxury fragrance.
    Even many men who know nothing about fragrances will know the name Chanel No.5.

I'm sorry... but there is no way that any of the aforementioned fragrances have such broad recognition as luxury fragrances.
    There was a time that Aramis may have qualified as the male equivalent... but it certainly no longer has the recognition it once had.
    You know, I have even seen opinion polls in Basenotes that have asked for "your favourite male houses" and Aramis is not even on the list!
    How the once mighty have fallen!

Ask a group of teenagers whether they have heard of Chanel No.5 and you will likely get a positive response.
    Ask the same group if they have heard of Aramis and you are likely to get a negative response (unless their dad has a bottle).
    I suspect the negative response would apply to Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage etc.

The andym72 post was very thoughtful and may correctly explain the success of Chanel No.5.
    Success over a long period of time certainly explains the breadth of popular recognition of Chanel No.5.
    I don't necessarily agree that a male equivalent has to have been created several generations ago, however, to achieve the breadth of world wide brand recognition required, there in merit in this argument.

My 2 cents

Having the advantage of many decades to consider, the only one that qualifies is Aramis.

Good post from andym72 which pretty much sums up my thoughts.

A strong case for Old Spice could be made (it is certainly 'classic'), but it is now regarded as a 'bargain' scent, while No 5 is still considered a 'luxury' product.

+1 Eau Sauvage

Yatagan

In my opinion "The most classic mens fragrance" is Polo Green. When I was growing up this stuff was like liquid gold with the ladies. If you owned a bottle you were worshiped by the other kids and you were expected to share before the school dances or you would get beat up. I am sure that most people who grew up with this have the same feelings about it today as they did when they were younger... I know I do!
    Living each day one spray at a time

To me personally the most classic smelling are things like Azzaro, Quorum, Aramis, Moustache and such.

Pour Monsieur

Good point musky_monkey. I also think Chanel No.5 has no man fragrance equivalent , but Eau Savage is the most classic for me.
    Shouldn't we consider Cool Water also a classic? Probably every teenager has worn it since it was released.

Not as old, but GIT is seen as a modern classic, and is a luxury brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...Knize Ten (1924)...!

I agree! Didn't they both make innovative use of new industrial materials? Aldehydes with Chanel No. 5 and synthetic leathers with Knize 10. In that sense, they're truly classics of the modern era.

I'd also add Chanel pour Monsieur.

Another vote for Old Spice.