Code of Conduct

Default what is the best pure oud oil, and where do you get your pure oud oil from?

where do you get your best pure oud oil from?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: what is the best pure oud oil, and where do you get your pure oud oil from?

I got mine from India, a long time ago, so I don't remember address or source. It was a gift from a basenoter. I have two oils. One is average grade and is VERY sharp and anymalic in a sweaty way. The other is top grade and is balsamic, dark and faecal.

From what I read in other descriptions, there are ouds that have these same characteristics without being faecal. That would be nice from my point of view. I am sure that other more powerful basenoters will be able to tell you the best websites where to buy the stuff.

Default Re: what is the best pure oud oil, and where do you get your pure oud oil from?

Agar Aura and Ensar's Oud are the two best suppliers, I think. Where do you get yours from?

Basenotes Plus

I've gotten nice samples from AgarAura.

The only place that i trust with pure oud oil is from agaraura... i would like to try from ensars oud if you recommend it as pure... anything from ebay is very very difficult to trust... even if its priced very high...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Agar Aura and Ensar's Oud are the two best suppliers, I think. Where do you get yours from?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    The only place that i trust with pure oud oil is from agaraura... i would like to try from ensars oud if you recommend it as pure... anything from ebay is very very difficult to trust... even if its priced very high...
    Be careful with Ensars Oud as his marketing on his website imo is really over the top and the oud is no where near the life changing heavenly experience he would have you believe. I found pure oud to be quite funky and unpleasant though I guess it is a matter of perspective and if you are used to and like the pure stuff.

In years past Ensar's Oud was very outstanding. Still is as far as I know (last time I bought from him was two years ago). He changed the name from Oriscent about three years ago, and most of my oud fragrances are from back when it was Oriscent. The quality is very good. As Jack Hunter mentions, Ensar's marketing and sales hype is very over the top and he often spends time talking down competitors, which is a very unappealing low blow tactic, especially when he makes untrue claims. The biggest problem with quality that I have noticed from both AgarAura and Ensar is that the supply of really good oud wood is becoming very rare and it is much more difficult to find outstanding quality wood from certain regions. The old growth trees are all but gone now. It is not very often I see an outstanding Borneo Oud for sale from either place and when they do come along they go fast and are often overpriced, especially from Ensar. His prices tend to run about 30% higher than AgarAura for more or less the same quality levels. Most of the innovative oud on the market lately seems to be Assam or India oud, with a few very challenging oud from Thailand. I don't like Assam oud as much - it is a different scent profile and is ok but I recommend testing them. Some people prefer Cambodian oud, but I definitely like Borneo or other Indoesian oud best - and it is getting very rare indeed. A good quality oud oil from whatever region it comes from is always wonderful in my books. I've smelled great oils from China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand. Both AgarAura and Ensar are top of the line in quality and trustworthiness, imo. I think AgarAura is a little more experimental in finding new wood sources and Taha often makes much smaller batches than Ensar so you have to follow his site closely as they come and go pretty fast. Also, AgarAura is not as aggressive in marketing their products so you have to seek them out because he doesn't often notify his customers when new products come out. Both have newsletters or blogs you can follow. I am spending too much time with this, but these two sources are good and kind of rare in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Be careful with Ensars Oud as his marketing on his website imo is really over the top and the oud is no where near the life changing heavenly experience he would have you believe. I found pure oud to be quite funky and unpleasant though I guess it is a matter of perspective and if you are used to and like the pure stuff.
    If one is into marketing just to make their products seem ordinary, mundane or average, then I don't believe that one will have a long career in marketing. RedBull has never made me suddenly take flight nor has Axe ever given me the "axe effect" and suddenly made a bunch of beautiful women run after me, well at least not more than they usually do, but I digress, you get the point. If the products don't at least have good appeal and satisfy their target audience, then that business will be sorted out anyway. Pure oud oils come from a few different regions, and even within the same region have different levels of quality and scent profiles. There seems to be some misconception about oud oil in that it all smells the same, some are fecal and barny, and some are sweet or floral, and then there's all levels of fecal, barny, sweet, floral, ethereal, woody, muddy, wet, dry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    His prices tend to run about 30% higher than AgarAura for more or less the same quality levels...

Also, AgarAura is not as aggressive in marketing their products so you have to seek them out because he doesn't often notify his customers when new products come out...
    While I do echo the sentiment that AgarAura and EnsarOud are the best sources of high quality primo oud oils, I'd also like to offer my opinion.
    EnsarOud has three categories of pure oud oils based on cultivation method and price/quality of source materials, being organic, vintage LTD and legends. The pure organic oud oils from EnsarOud are on par with, and some subjectively better than many of AgarAura's recent and current offerings, and are actually LESS expensive, plus for more oud. EnsarOud does 3gr of oil, while AgarAura does 2.5gr, check both sites, get some samples, then check your nose. This is by no means meant to detract from AgarAura as I am quite sure both have different overhead, contacts, sources, involvement in distillation, etc, AgarAura did and does still have primo high quality pure oud oils.
    If you check both sites and sign up for the newsletter or whatever it is, can't remember, BOTH will notify you of when new products are available, period.
    I patronize and appreciate the efforts of both of these honest gentlemen in offering high grade stuff.

Also, I like Oudimentary, as their samples are relatively inexpensive and 1gr, which gives a good amout to use. They have had some highly revered oils such as the first KSSS, but are generally a step below the two previusly mentioned. I like them for everyday pure oud oils while I use my AgarAura and EnsarOud oils a little more sparingly. Also check out the oud lovers majlis board here on BN's.
    Last edited by PEARL; 1st April 2013 at 05:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus

@Buzzlepuff - thank you for your very thoughtful post.

There's a great new source that I found over on Etsy, under Rising Phoenix Perfumes. Lots of diversity of oils and woods, on par with AgarAura and Ensar's products. I bought a bottle of the 190 Crassna...superb!!

Has anyone else tried any of their stuff? Really cute Japanese-style packaging, too.