Code of Conduct

Question What by Diptyque deserves most attention?

never got a chance to explore this house yet. my first concern is if their stuff is natural enough, and the quality of the ingredients in general (i am too sensitive to more synthetic scents). from then on, what do you think is their best?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Default Re: What by Diptyque deserves most attention?

I enjoy this line. Philosykos seems to be their most popular, but you have to like fig to enjoy that one. Tam Dao is one of the best sandalwood scents I've ever smelled. L'eau is very nice, not at all what I expected from a scent named L'eau (it's quite spicy), and L'ombre Dans L'eau is a beautiful rose scent. 34 Blvd st Germaine is great too, and I'm currently debating a purchase of Volutes. I think they all smell quite natural.

Sold off my Eau Duelle and recently bought 34 Boulevard Saint Germain, really enjoy the dry down.

Diptyque certainly smells more natural than most, whether this is due to the actual materials used or not it's hard to say. They do contain synthetics.

In any case, most are worth smelling. There's the basic Eau de Diptyque (clove), and perhaps the most famous one is Philosykos (fig - stem and fruit). My favorites are perhaps Eau duelle (spices and flowers), and especially Ombre dans l'eau (green blast).

One of their newer ones, I think Eau Mage, is an ambroxan blast, so that cannot certainly be called natural.

cacio

My two favourites are Tam Dao (own it) and L'Ombre dans L'eau (gonna own it, particularly the EDP).
    TD has a stunning creamy sandalwood that has similarities with Cadjmere, and L'Ombre has one of the most unique leafy openings I've experienced, and a lovely soft rose drydown.

I'd be thrilled to own the rest of the range, save for L'eau de Hesperides, which smells sour and unpleasant.

Eau Lente is my persoanl favourite, might be worth a look - spiced oriental. Wonderful use of opoponax under clove. Not for kids or people whose diet doesn't stretch beyond meat and two vege. The Opoponax Candle and Room Spray are also excellent. Well, pretty well all of the candles are excellent.

I tried to like Phylosikos but I couldn't. In my opinion their masterpiece is L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. It is the most beautiful green fragrance I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    My two favourites are Tam Dao (own it) and L'Ombre dans L'eau.
    +1

I also enjoy phyloskos and L'eau de Tarocco. I'm interested in trying Eau de Lierre.

The new EDP of Volutes. This is for tobacco lovers.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I really want to try that, I've heard it has more tobacco and less iris than the EDT (the iris was why I wasn't overly impressed with the EDT).

My favorite is 34 Boulevard Saint Germain, which is a medley of scents all blended together. I love it, very much a comfort scent for me.

I think Philosykos (fig), Eau Duelle (vanilla), L'Ombre Dans L'eau (green dewy rose), and Tam Dao (woody incense) are all worth trying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I really want to try that, I've heard it has more tobacco and less iris than the EDT (the iris was why I wasn't overly impressed with the EDT).
    It's a while since I tested the EdP but from memory the EdT had more tobacco (which was the main reason I chose it).

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Another one I want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    never got a chance to explore this house yet. my first concern is if their stuff is natural enough, and the quality of the ingredients in general (i am too sensitive to more synthetic scents). from then on, what do you think is their best?
    Virtually all frags today are "more synthetic" Artificial/synthetic doesn't necessarily mean inferior or bad. Actually all natural ingredients are made up of chemicals, just done without human intervention. If people recreate those same chemicals in the lab, there is no difference between them and natural ones. In fact the items most people are "sensitive to" are NATURAL ones. Oak Moss is an example. The Artificial alternatives have to go through so many Regulations that they tend not to cause a reaction in people.

Basenotes Institution

L'Autre. Wonderful skank. Sort of Eau de Hermes on Steroids.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Have the entire line in my collection. Standouts for me: Volutes, Tam Dao

34 for sure!

My favorite is L'Eau Trois. Is it natural? I don't have a clue.

I enjoy 34 Blvd St. Germain and the new 34(green notes accentuated). Philosykos(of course), and the incredible Volutes.
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

34 Boulevard Saint Germain is my favorite, also the most versatile in my book. Tam Dao and Philosykos are both alright, but they don't last very long and don't seem as complex as 34 BSG.

Really enjoy Eau Duelle and Philosykos. ED has good longevity for me, Philosykos does not, but I need to try the new EDP. I am also interested in Volutes.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I'm not sure about whether they use more natural ingredient or not but Diptyque fragrances do capture the nature perfectly
    Out of all their offerings I say L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is something a fragrance fanatic owe it to himself to smell at least once in his fragrance journey

Majority of Diptyque fragrances are on the airy/light/fresh side but most of them has great sillage and longevity (8hr+) except for Philosykos

I've tried quite a few from this house. Although Virgilio, Eau Duelle, and Tam Dao were all wonderful. Philosykos is hands down the best. I haven't found anything quite like it, out of the thousand or so fragrances I have smelled.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Whatever they actually contain, they sure smell natural. In my opinion:

L'eau Trois - beautiful, sunny, dry myrrh, frankincense and herbs. I believe this one is either discontinued or more difficult to find though.
    L'ombre dans l'eau - almost hyperrealistic rendition of a whole dewy rose garden, right down to a hint of earth.
    Eau Duelle - well-behaved non-foody vanilla with wisps of juniper and wood.

Diptyque has to be my favorite niche. Another one that I'd recommend is L'eau de L'eau which is a lovely, straightforward spicy potpourri with clove at the forefront.

I own a three Diptyques -- Opôné, Philosykos, and L'Eau des Hesperides.
    I enjoy all of them with Philosykos probably my favorite. I guess I'm in the minority because I really like LdH.
    It's a unique blend of orange, herbs and mint on a base of cedar and immortelle. I don't find it sour. It's a surprisingly long lasting (at least 7 to 8 hours on my skin) easy to wear EDC.

I also want to show some love for Oyédo. A sweet orange and yuzu dominated scent. What makes it interesting is the thyme note. It cuts through and tones down the sweetness. I think its the most unique citrus I have ever smelled. It also lasts all day.
    This will most likely be my next Diptyque.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

The best jasmine soliflore available, in my opinion, is Olene.

Thumbs up Re: What by Diptyque deserves most attention?

Eau Lente, IMHO, the best Diptyque
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I'm a big fan of Eau Duelle. Papery vanilla. It's a great subdued wintery work scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned

my favourite is L Eau de Tarroco- its great citrus frag, i love it.......its warm citrus...and so nicely balanced...perfect summer frag!

Eau Lente i see is many favourite- to me its just too simple cinamon thing....my least favourite, i think men like opoponax more then women....

i love fig one, but could live without it, and i love L Eau diptique- its much more complex then Eau Lente....perfect xmas frag to me

unf never tried 34, and Tam Dao....and i have Jasmine candle...its gorgeous! smells even unlit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Virtually all frags today are "more synthetic" Artificial/synthetic doesn't necessarily mean inferior or bad. Actually all natural ingredients are made up of chemicals, just done without human intervention. If people recreate those same chemicals in the lab, there is no difference between them and natural ones. In fact the items most people are "sensitive to" are NATURAL ones. Oak Moss is an example. The Artificial alternatives have to go through so many Regulations that they tend not to cause a reaction in people.
    i am very sensitive to artificial oak moss...it stinks, esp when i pay high price for that
    Last edited by iivanita; 1st April 2013 at 09:15 PM.

I am a big fan and recommend that you try all of their fragrances. Tam Dao, Philosykos and L'Ombre Dans L'Eau are the most popular but not my favourites. I prefer Eau Lente especially, 34 Boulevard St. Germain (although I don't get good longevity out of it), L'Eau de L'Eau, Oyedo, Eau Duelle and L'Autre.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I consider Diptyque a true niche house.

That doesn't mean I like all their perfumes or that they are all winners.

But the diversity in their range and the way they care not for what is trending nor conforming to the mainstream flavor of the month is an achievement.

for swap/sale:

Philosykos (both EDT & EDP) is talked about the most with good reason. A must sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    The best jasmine soliflore available, in my opinion, is Olene.
    Yes, Horns! So glad Olene is getting some love. Delicious, bold, fresh, dewy, soft petals. And then when you want to dig in the dirt, Tam Dao. Both equally great.