Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Fragrances For Her, Worn By Him

I wear pretty masculine, off-the-wall fragrances. I am in awe of Amouage and Etat Libre D'Orange, Nasomatto and Odori. Crazy niche scents that freak some people out sometimes. Designer stand-outs like Versace and Burberry, Azzaro and a lot of the Cartier scents. A lot of the fragrances I wear are just for me, but it just so happens that most of them are potent and carry a long ways.

I bought my girlfriend a bottle of Roberto Cavalli. It was the roll-on EDP. I fell in love with so much that I started dabbing a little here and there just so I could smell it. I guess I feel a bit strange sometimes because it does smell very feminine, but I like it a great deal. Is there a more masculine version of this?

I guess the point is: Do any other guys do this? What other fragrances for women do men often wear? I use a lot of unisex essential oils and some unisex colognes, but I'm talking about perfumes made specifically for women.

Default Re: Fragrances For Her, Worn By Him

Jicky extrait / Bandit / Shalimar extrait to name 3 from my wardrobe...

SHalimar / Mitsouko / Bandit / Habanita

Lots of them, but a common one on Basenotes is Sycomore, by Chanel.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Here are a few

L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    Mitsouko
    Shalimar Parfum Initial
    Jubilation 25
    AdP Profumo
    Estee Lauder Azuree
    Cabochard
    Dioressence
    Diorella
    Chypre de Coty
    31 Rue Cambon
    Angel
    Aromatics Elixir
    Bal a Versailles
    Cuir de Lancôme
    Givenchy III
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have and wear Shalimar, Mitsouko, Cuir de Lancome, Narciso Rodriguez Musc, Sycomore. And up to buy 31 Rue Cambon.

This question has been asked many times here. Seems that Basenoters are divided into two camps; one which realises that Fragrance has no gender, and so they will wear whatever they want to, the other that believes the marketing BS and cannot imagine any man wearing a fragrance that others have deemed suitable only for a woman. The second group feel that they will be physically attacked if they go out wearing a "Female" fragrance.

I am firmly in the first camp. The only reason I do not wear a particular perfume is because I do not like it. I have worn Shalimar, Mitsouko, Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleu, Bal a Versailes, Aromatics Elixire, Bandit, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, and many others. I am still in one piece, and (the last time I looked) still a man.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Can only speak for myself - Don't wear any.

Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari immediately comes to my mind.

Most of the older chypre fragrances that had been marketed to women back then would be considered at least unisex by now.

I would add Scherrer by Scherrer, Y by YSL and Balmain de Balmain to the already mentioned frags.

From day one in the fragrance world until now I disliked sweet, girlyish fragrances. Thus I have always ignored the "for men" or "for women" marketing label. If I like a frag, I wear it and I don't see any reason why men should not do the same.

You might also check this thread for ideas:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/317...er-on-the-male

Sound Scents

In my case...

Portrait of a Lady
    Bal a Versailles (vintage parfum)
    1000 (vintage)
    Sous Le Vent
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Sycomore

Among others...
    Last edited by drseid; 1st April 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Sycamore, wearing Coromandel today.

The Shalimar that I had purchased for my lady friend is another one she will have to share with me. I guess after all of these years of wearing only "masculine" scents, the "feminine" ones began to stand out even more. I suppose I don't see the difference. If it smells nice, I'll wear it. When my girlfriend wears my my Amouage Ciel Man, I love it, so the other way around makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    This question has been asked many times here. Seems that Basenoters are divided into two camps; one which realises that Fragrance has no gender, and so they will wear whatever they want to, the other that believes the marketing BS and cannot imagine any man wearing a fragrance that others have deemed suitable only for a woman. The second group feel that they will be physically attacked if they go out wearing a "Female" fragrance.

I am firmly in the first camp. The only reason I do not wear a particular perfume is because I do not like it. I have worn Shalimar, Mitsouko, Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleu, Bal a Versailes, Aromatics Elixire, Bandit, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, and many others. I am still in one piece, and (the last time I looked) still a man.
    It's not so much the "emasculation" as it is the scents themselves for me. The Cavalli is one of the most feminine scents that I love that I would also wear myself. I've noticed that lately, most of the niche perfumes I like have no real gender anyway. My girlfriend is in the roller derby, she likes scents that have some oomph. It's a chore to pry most of my ELD'O collection away from her.

I'm starting to lean towards the "I'll wear what I want" mindset. Except when my girlfriend wants to wear it at the same time.

Keiko Mecheri Oliban could easily be worn by a gentleman, IMO.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123824.html
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

Thanks, everyone! You've given me some ideas. Much appreciated!

I am fairly new to the fragrance world. My favorite "female" so far are Midnight Poison (comfortable wearing out) Hypnotic Poison (wear out with caution) and Angel (wear at home unless I layer it with a little A*Men, the male version.)
    I just like the fragrances, it's kind of like aroma therapy for me. All for my own enjoyment.

i have samples of female frags from bond- fire island,earth day and a few more but would never buy a bottle. i am tempted at portrait of a lady though.