Code of Conduct

Default Have You Ever Dumped A Fragrance Then Re-Purchased It ?

I must be losing my mind. The other day I dumped Lapidus Pour Homme because I wasn't impressed by it. i've been regretting it ever since.

I've tried it several times but I didn't stick with it. Today I was missing it and ordered another bottle. It will probably sit unused in my closet but at least I have it if I ever want to try it again. Right ?

I think the Montale thread about potency being lost convinced me to give LH another try. Also Amouage has been watering down their juice. Two of my fav juices no longer....yikes.

I also ordered Bogart Pour Homme.

I'd love to find a cheapie that works for me. It seems like many people are disappointed with several of their higher priced purchases.

Have any of you ditched a fragrance then re purchased it and why ?

Default Re: Have You Ever Dumped A Fragrance Then Re-Purchased It ?

Has never happened to me.

Not me either - I'm far too stubborn

So far, didn't happen in my case. Usually, once I own or consider owning a fragrance, my opinion about it is pretty much consistent and unchanged, hardly ever changing once I like it.

Yes, my ex-girlfriend
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Not yet.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Never.

Oh, I can't count how many times. I'm fickle when it comes to material things. It's just stuff. I just re-purchased Penhaligon's Sartorial today. I sell, swap, buy 'em again. The wheels go around and around.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Oh, I can't count how many times. I'm fickle when it comes to material things. It's just stuff. I just re-purchased Penhaligon's Sartorial today. I sell, swap, buy 'em again. The wheels go around and around.
    Finally another SICKO like myself But WHY do you do it ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

No. When I dump a fragrance, I do it for a reason. And I remember that reason when I'm tempted to buy it again.

Yes. I dumped reformulated Fahrenheit, only to pick up vintage Fahrenheit. Sometimes, it's worth picking up the vintage formulas.

That's so funny! The next two frags on my pickup list are Lapidus PH and Bogart PH! Macho powerhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Yes, my ex-girlfriend
    LOL...

I'll never dump the parfums I own, each one's bought after enough time spent on procuring samples & testing...

Yes, Yatagan and Le Troisieme Homme, at least. I never sold Habit Rouge but I had a decant from a generous friend that I had to live with (the frag, not the friend) for a year before I appreciated it. Now I love it and own a bottle. I often reject challenging things on first sniff or listen and then end up thinking about them until they settle in, at which point I like. Isn't this part of learning for other people, as well? Perfumes, including many really good perfumes, can be challenging, which seems like one of the hallmarks of much really good art and many worthwhile people.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Guerlainista

Its happened to me a few times. Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense and Ungaro II are 2 that come to mind. I'm also regretting having swapped Eau Noire away.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Never done it.

I swapped my bottle of Kenzo Pour Homme when I was barely beginning this fragrance game and now I wish I would have kept it. I plan on purchasing another bottle very soon.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Not yet, but I'm waffling about re-buying Musc Ravageur after selling a bottle.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Yes, sort of. I bought test vials of Bond No. 9 Wall Street. Tried them out and ended up applying too much from the test vial. I hate it at first and it took me about half a year to revisit the fragrance. I ended up loving it, then buying a full bottle for only $100 on eBay. Not a bad deal for me.

I did it with burberry brit when I was 19. I tested it out two times and thought I smelled like an old man. Im turning 23 this year and will order another bottle just to see if my choice in cologne has changed. Although, the original burberry by burberry is my favorite calogne.

Yes. Knize Ten. Because it was early on in my perfume habit and I didn't know my own taste well enough. But I kept a sample and realized that I thought it was actually pretty fabulous.

Yes, dumped joop about a year ago but picked up another bottle this week.
    John aka Easykiller

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Yes. Knize Ten. Because it was early on in my perfume habit and I didn't know my own taste well enough. But I kept a sample and realized that I thought it was actually pretty fabulous.
    Me too. Oddly enough it has been one of the two that has survived the firing squad. The other is Dior's Leather Oud. Without these two I would be left out in the cold. I might branch out into TF Private line if I had to but I don't want to !

Yes.

Roadster and Encre Noir.

I also plan on repurchasing Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Givenchy Vetyver.

In the beginning, yes. Now I usually take more time to test fragrances. Visit, B*Men, Arpege pH, Dirty, Breath of God.

I dumped Original Vetiver and bought Mugler Cologne. Then I realised the subtle differences and that I wanted to own both, so I repurchased OV.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Finally another SICKO like myself But WHY do you do it ?
    Because we can, precious! (using my Gollum voice).

Done it twice!
    1. Brand new bottle of Guerlain Vetiver, bought duty-free in Boston to be worn on a London vacation. I may have worn it two days, but I didn't "get" it. LEFT IT IN THE HOTEL ROOM.
    2. Original, first edition, exposed-penis-in-the-advertising M7. Bought it pretty much blind, wore it maybe on two or three occasions, then some craziness in me said "nope" and I THREW IT AWAY!!!!

I've reacquired and now love both of these. I still kick myself over the M7.

I didn't think I had done it, but I realized I have:

Had Joop! Homme years ago, the first edition bottle with the logo and engraved sprayer. Binned it. Recently picked it up again.
    Had Swiss Army Classic years ago, also binned it. Saw it cheap so I bought it again.
    Had Desire Blue years ago, binned it. Want to pick it up for a nostalgic summer frag.

Nothing too fancy but definitely fallen in love with Joop! Homme. Opening is screechy but the drydown is devine! I got rid of them in the first place as I was never a huge cologne guy and moved around a lot - they never made the packing list. Always kick myself for rash decisions.

well,

I swapped my Fahrenheit because I wasn't in love with it and really wanted DHI at the time. The later on, I got a good deal on Fahrenheit so I bought it again

Got Sycomore and decided the aldehydes were too much. Sold it. Five months later I bought it again as I loved that luscious dry-down. Now, I don't own it again. Someone please slap me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Got Sycomore and decided the aldehydes were too much. Sold it. Five months later I bought it again as I loved that luscious dry-down. Now, I don't own it again. Someone please slap me!!!
    If I slapped you, I'd have to slap myself. You're human like the rest of us.

Obsession . I gave it to my brother. I was overwhelmed with the vanilla in it. Funny , I have used only once since I bought it the second time 5 years ago.

Yup, twice:
    -Mugler Cologne
    -Le Male

Thinking about doing it a third time with Dior Homme as well.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Yes. Today I just re-bought Sung homme. I remember taking it back because at the time I felt I was not age appropriate to wear it. I loved the fragrance. When I was thinking about how much I missed it this week I picked me up a bottle. I did the very same thing with Lapidus pour homme. I am really missing this fragrance and i have been contemplating buying another bottle. I often wonder the same thing to why I do this.I think it's because when I look at my collection I think man I have a lot of fragrances then I start to sell of the one I feel are less important and then I wind up missing them lol or I will let one negative comment about the fragrance or let a persons interpretation of it sway me in some way and I let that determine-my mood about the fragrance.

I have given away a bottle when someone adored a scent, then re-purchased.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I did it with a vintage bottle of M7 ( the cough syrup, I hated it) and with Creed Bois de Cedrat (I sold it at the marketplace because of pooor longevity); Bought them both again later on.

Basenotes Member

I gave my mother Femme, Alchimie and Opium and then years later, when I realised they were reformulated/discontinued, I asked for them back. What's even worse is that I binned whole bottles of Nu and Calandre because I didn't know anyone at the time (pre-forum) that would wear them. I don't think I deserve to have them again.

Now I'm much slower to move things on, since hate can so easily turn to love. It's all a question of timing.
    Last edited by grasslands; 7th April 2013 at 11:55 AM.

I remember at least 2 frags:
    -Antaeus - Stopped wearing it sometimes in 2002-2003, and gave it away to my friend. (It was a vintage bottle ) Then repurchased a vintage bottle recently (for a high price, of course). I understand i can't live without it, thought there are times i don't wear it.

-Boss Spirit.... Threw away my aftershave and edt bottles sometimes in the late 90's.. then rediscovered it, i think it was around 2009 and bought a couple of bottles.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Regrets, I've had a few . . .
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Ive owned Cartier Roadster 3 times and Blow de Chanel twice. I will never try those two again.

Am thinking about repurchasing Cerruti 1881 Black that I got rid of 2010.
    I gave to my friend and yesterday I sprayed it on a bit at his place and I was like - why don't I no longer have it?
    Not necessarily that I actually will buy it again, but I'm apt to give it a chance again in the future.

Unfortunately with a few.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Did this with Gucci pour Homme (2003). Bought it a bit more than a year ago when it was still plentiful, wore it once and found it far too dusty, returned it. Months later decided to order a large decant just to have for reference. Wore it again, really liked it, and of course by then it had been discontinued. Had to buy my replacement bottle from eBay.

Not quite...

I have just been doing a clear out of my wardrobe, to put stuff on eBay.

Mrs JTB was sat beside me as I had a final sniff of a few bottles set aside for 'the cull' while putting my listing together. I had a half a change of ming on a couple, asked Mrs JTB for her opinion on them, and the net result is that she has bagged them for herself.

What are they?

YSL Jazz

Penhaligon's Endymion.

Having said that, she did wear Kouros in her youth in the days when she worked on a fragrance/ beauty counter.

Methinks I'm married to an Alpha Female!

Yes, several times. Sad thing is that I usually put them up for sale again after I am reminded of why I did it in the first place.