Code of Conduct

Default Having Superpowders

I have an aunt, called Heloise, who is a perfume lover like me. She likes the most classic, complex perfumes. She adores Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko, Bal a Versailles, Opium vintage and many others.

A few days ago, she expressly asked me to get her the most powdery perfumes in the universe. She wants to smell like powder.

So I bought her Shalimar EDP and Teint de Neige. Teint de Neige is the most "powderful" fragrance I´ve ever encountered. It is pure powders mixed with a rose in the middle.

Do you know of other fragrances that have really, really, really strong powder notes? Please suggest only one fragrance, I mean the most "powderful" one. Thanks.

Default Re: Having Superpowders

I love powder! This is a challenge to pick just one but I'll go with Miller Harris' Fleur Oriental. Those you've mentioned are fantastic powder-puffs. I assume she knows the powdery Chanel classics as well?
    The nose wants what it wants!

Hi Perfumed Lady, no she does not know the chanel powdery fragrances. Which one is the best, in your opinion?

Talco delicato ~ i profumi di firenze.

My favorite Chanel for powder is the most obvious one-No.5. Smells like the powder of the heavens to me. She should also try No.22, Bois des Iles, No.19. But my original Fleur Oriental rec is more densely powdery than those, so do have her check that one out. Chanel's powder is not as heavy-handed but it is unmistakeable. I think there's a good chance she'd at least find one to love. There are just so many different takes on powder; it's worth it to explore.

Have a sample here of Teint de Neige, which was until recently the only scent from your list I didn't know. It is so well done; how they got that blizzard of powder in there without it being too much, I'll never understand! It's brilliant.

Ooh, just saw gandhajala's post- yes, excellent! Still nursing that sample, g.!

She knows only Chanel No.5, which she likes but doesn´t have a full bottle of. But she does not know the others. I could buy her a bottle of No.5 together with Fleur Oriental.

Well I'd say if we're building a collection of the finest examples of powder, No.5 belongs there. I'm sure you've heard a million times that blind buys are risky but if she likes Shalimar, there's a very good chance she'll be pleased with FO. I love it and am a Shalimar girl, too. Similar in style but not so close as to be redundant. FO is a modern oriental with strong reference to Shalimar but is more incense than vanilla and much more floral. The carnation and rose are accented with some very densely powdery heliotrope. It's a powdery whopper!

For something that's nearly identical to Johnson and Johnson baby powder, but less long-lasting, Douceur de Vanille by Les Nereides is on the money: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...02#reviewbegin

You'll have a hard time finding anything more powdery than Teint de Neige, which is simply the best and most beautiful, elegant powder perfume I've ever come across, but g's suggestion of Talco Delicato comes close, and another one is Profumum's Soavissima. Also, Montale Powder Flowers is worth a sniff ...and Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum, Loukhoum Eau Poudrée and Loukhoum Parfum du Soir are all pretty potently powderful, but they're also very sweet, as you might infer from their names. As always, you should sample before you purchase, even if it's for someone else.

I don't personally find No5 very powdery, but it certainly does pack an aldehydic punch, and lots of people perceive those aldehydes as powdery, so the Chanels that PLady suggests are worth checking out ...my recommendation would be for No22, just because its gorgeous aldehydes are so prominent.

Sorry - that was more than one, but you've already got the #1 most gloriously powdery, so I just thought I'd expand on it a bit.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 1st April 2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: sp
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Smile Re: Having Superpowders

Teint de Neige is really hard to beat in powderiness. While not the most powdery fragrance ever (still rather powdery), I have a feeling your aunt Heloise would absolutely love SMN Melograno.

The most powdery scents I know: Citizen Queen, Chanel No. 22, Chanel No. 5, Lou Lou, Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.
    The heaviest on powder of these is No. 22, followed by Citizen Queen.

Love Chloe by Chloe is very powdery to me!

For some strange reason Agent Provocateur always smells powdery on me!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Basenotes Plus

Agree with and love all the scents mentioned, and adding Donna Karan Cashmere Mist.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    You'll have a hard time finding anything more powdery than Teint de Neige, which is simply the best and most beautiful, elegant powder perfume I've ever come across, but g's suggestion of Talco Delicato comes close, and another one is Profumum's Soavissima. Also, Montale Powder Flowers is worth a sniff ...and Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum, Loukhoum Eau Poudrée and Loukhoum Parfum du Soir are all pretty potently powderful, but they're also very sweet, as you might infer from their names. As always, you should sample before you purchase, even if it's for someone else.

I don't personally find No5 very powdery, but it certainly does pack an aldehydic punch, and lots of people perceive those aldehydes as powdery, so the Chanels that PLady suggests are worth checking out ...my recommendation would be for No22, just because its gorgeous aldehydes are so prominent.

Sorry - that was more than one, but you've already got the #1 most gloriously powdery, so I just thought I'd expand on it a bit.
    Lol, as I was typing my post, I was thinking "Evangeline is going to come along with an entirely different way of seeing this-and yet I'll agree with every word!

Even though I do perceive No.5 as quite powdery, I can totally see how some wouldn't. It's very delicate powder compared to these other, heavier powders. Not the most powdery by any means but I just had a hunch Aunt Heloise would like it. I think many of us who grew up with more classics than say, modern fruity florals, do associate aldehydics with that "freshly bathed and powdered" feeling. Glam powder, if you will!

It was so mean of Daniel to ask for only one (only teasing, of course)! I also agree with all the recs here! And that there is no powderier than Teint de Neige. But there are so many types of powder: floral, vanilla like Shalimar, make-upy powder, baby powder, even more gourmand powdery cocoas. Such a wide category and so much fun to explore!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 2nd April 2013 at 05:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Another one to add to the already great list you have is Farmacia SS. Annunziata Talc Gourmand. Notes include talcum powder, honey, caramel, vanilla blossom, heliotrope, chocolate, tonka bean, sandalwood and vanilla.