Code of Conduct

Default M7 or M7 Oud Absolu

Hey everyone!

I've got an oud itch that needs scratching. I've never owned M7, but I have always been intrigued by it. I've never even sniffed it out once!

Anyways, I am going to by either the reform or Oud Absolu. Which one should I go for? I've got plenty of gourmand like frags that dry down to a vanillia type of scent. I really don't want another with that type of dry down. I am more interested in a "resinous" scent.

Help please!

Default Re: M7 or M7 Oud Absolu

Get the Absolu, they have done a good enough job on this one. Its cheaper and more available, too.

If you can find the vintage bottle then buy it. Otherwise I'd buy the Absolu version for $60. M7 doesn't have vanilla in it.

Cost aside, how about the smell?

- - - Updated - - -

I can get the reform for $70 vs. the absolu @ $58. BTW.

The reform and the Absolu are pretty much identical to me. I'll say the reform just because I prefer the original bottle, but they're both great fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    Cost aside, how about the smell?

- - - Updated - - -

I can get the reform for $70 vs. the absolu @ $58. BTW.
    I prefer the absolu, but I'm probably in the minority. Considering that the reform is 3.4 oz's I'd go with it. $70 is a very fair price for the reform.

Reform is indeed 3.4 oz.

Reform is indeed 3.4 oz.
    Yeah, so even if you don't like it, you could sell that on for a nice profit. As good as Oud Absolu is, it seems to be falling in price.

Whoops! Too late. Amazon already sold out of the reform within 10 minutes of me starting this thread. Looks like it will have to be the absolu.

Either one as far as I am concerned. They're both fine.

Don't worry, the absolu is better than M7. It is a wonderful perfume and will eventually be recognized here at basenotes as a masterpiece. It just takes some time for people to acknowledge the beauty of something theyre not used to.

Whoops! Too late. Amazon already sold out of the reform within 10 minutes of me starting this thread. Looks like it will have to be the absolu.
    I love the vintage, but in all honesty it can be a little overbearing especially in the warmer weather. I save the vintage for the winter and wear OA all other times. If you enjoy OA try getting a bottle or a sample of the vintage. The opening is fantastic on the vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Don't worry, the absolu is better than M7. It is a wonderful perfume and will eventually be recognized here at basenotes as a masterpiece. It just takes some time for people to acknowledge the beauty of something theyre not used to.
    Thankfully there's been no negative reviews here on Basenotes yet. The Fragrantica reviews are absolutely ridiculous though, people voting it as poor longevity and sillage, and disliking it for no good reason. As much as I really don't like how L'Oreal have handled the YSL name, I'm glad they've at least given us the chance to buy M7 in some form again.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If you can find the vintage bottle then buy it. Otherwise I'd buy the Absolu version for $60. M7 doesn't have vanilla in it.
    M7 has a big slug of vanilla in it to my nose, and it's also listed in its pyramid, which is no surprise since about 8 hours in, all that's left is very sweet vanilla and musk.

If you don't want vanilla, OA is definitely the way to go. People saying it has poor longevity must be anosmic to Iso E which is dosed heavily indeed in OA and lasts 12 hours at least.

Nice to see the OA lovers on this thread. For those like me who are not into very sweet unmitigated vanilla drydowns, OA is kind of genius because it places all that resiny M7 goodness on top of a very different, non-sweet base. I can't wear M7 because of that sugary sweet drydown.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like both very much but still prefer the original M7. OA will also be a staple in my fragrance wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    M7 has a big slug of vanilla in it to my nose, and it's also listed in its pyramid, which is no surprise since about 8 hours in, all that's left is very sweet vanilla and musk.

If you don't want vanilla, OA is definitely the way to go. People saying it has poor longevity must be anosmic to Iso E which is dosed heavily indeed in OA and lasts 12 hours at least.

Nice to see the OA lovers on this thread. For those like me who are not into very sweet unmitigated vanilla drydowns, OA is kind of genius because it places all that resiny M7 goodness on top of a very different, non-sweet base. I can't wear M7 because of that sugary sweet drydown.
    I know the vintage is strong in the amber department, never seen a pyramid with vanilla, but it is on the sweeter side of things. I can see that in OA. It's the better blended of the two.

You will enjoy both, the new one is more approachable.

I know the vintage is strong in the amber department, never seen a pyramid with vanilla, but it is on the sweeter side of things. I can see that in OA. It's the better blended of the two.
    Yeah, I'm definitely looking to avoid another frag with a sweet base. I've got enough as-is. With that said, Oud Absolu lacks this characteristic?

Yeah, I'm definitely looking to avoid another frag with a sweet base. I've got enough as-is. With that said, Oud Absolu lacks this characteristic?
    It has amber in the base. It's not overly sweet to my nose. If I were to put a rating on it for sweetness I'd say it's a 6. Givenchy PI would be a 10, Pure Malt would be a 7, A*men would be an 8, Vintage M7 would be a 7. In my opinion the sweet bases are vanilla, tonka, and something with benzoin in it. Amber isn't that sweet if it's a well done amber and in M7 Oud Absolu it's well done.

Dependent

It has amber in the base. It's not overly sweet to my nose. If I were to put a rating on it for sweetness I'd say it's a 6. Givenchy PI would be a 10, Pure Malt would be a 7, A*men would be an 8, Vintage M7 would be a 7. In my opinion the sweet bases are vanilla, tonka, and something with benzoin in it. Amber isn't that sweet if it's a well done amber and in M7 Oud Absolu it's well done.
    I would say OA is a 4 or less in sweetness

Vintage is best, period.
    An analogy...
    The new Corvette is fast and sexy but the 1953 is rare and will turn heads.
    Make your choice. Both are good but I go cor old school.
    ;-)
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Vintage is best, period.
    An analogy...
    The new Corvette is fast and sexy but the 1953 is rare and will turn heads.
    Make your choice. Both are good but I go cor old school.
    ;-)
    I don't feel that's a valid comparison, since OA is not a reformulation but a flanker. They are qualitatively different -- one has a sweet-balsamic drydown, and one has a dry/resin/woody drydown.

I don't feel that's a valid comparison, since OA is not a reformulation but a flanker. They are qualitatively different -- one has a sweet-balsamic drydown, and one has a dry/resin/woody drydown.
    Agreed. They've got that same oud backbone, but the drydown of Oud Absolu is a lot more like Tom Ford Oud Wood, with warm and smoky woods, as opposed to the sweet ambery-vanilla of the original M7. Both great in their own different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Get the Absolu, they have done a good enough job on this one. Its cheaper and more available, too.
    Exactly this

For those like me who are not into very sweet unmitigated vanilla drydowns, OA is kind of genius because it places all that resiny M7 goodness on top of a very different, non-sweet base. I can't wear M7 because of that sugary sweet drydown.
    I would say OA is a 4 or less in sweetness
    a dry/resin/woody drydown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    Agreed. They've got that same oud backbone, but the drydown of Oud Absolu is a lot more like Tom Ford Oud Wood, with warm and smoky woods

Intriguing. I'd never been too interested in M7 for some reason, but it sounds like Absolu might be right up my alley.

It is alright by me if you don't like the analogy. Not offended. But the original is miles apart and much better than the flanker. Just my opinion. You are welcome to yours and the fewer people hat have the original the better. It smells like me, not you. That works for me. Rock the fragrances you prefer.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    But the original is miles apart and much better than the flanker.

I dislike medicinal notes. I used to spray the vintage M7 and wait impatiently for the topnotes to disappear. Only then I would feel satisfied. The cough syrup note destroyed M7 for me. The advent of the Oud Absolu version was a gift, a gift of enormous value because not only the perfume is not medicinal anymore, but it is also dryer and more complex with the addition of myhrr. The oud is still there, but the overall package was much improved, in my opinion.

Not every reformulation is a drawback. There are exceptions.

I own the reformulation and Oud Absolu. Both are very nice, and pretty similar. I like both about the same - no preference between the two.

A knowledgable member of basenotes said the M7 Oud Absolu is closer to the original than the reformulated. He said the Oud lasts longer than the reform and more like the original. I find the new M7 oud is the best blended and closer to the M7 fresh the maderine citris notes last longer in the new M7 oud absolu.

I think you may be right on...

The reform isn't in the original bottle - it's the reason I passed over it when I had an opportunity. The original bottle is much nicer.

The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I don't like the patchouli in M7A. It's not bad though.

M7 vintage is the only masterpiece here.

Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    You will enjoy both, the new one is more approachable.

The reformulated version is easier to wear, more simple than the original one. Both are really good scents, though.

Basenotes Member

How is the performance overall on the OA?

I really want to snag a nice fb first oud of the collection this year. I love oud wood and intensa oud, but they just don't seem to last very well on me coming out of a 10ml decant. I've heard that intensa oud has great longevity on many people, so I'm wondering how much of my experience is skewed due to the sample bottle.

Dependent

I find OA's longevity quite good, solid 8 hours. No vanilla, so longevity is shorter than in the M7 original.

If anyone is interested, Amazon has M7 Oud Absolu for $16.92 +shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post

Thank you!
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 12/09
    WANTED: None

Basenotes Member

Only have two questions... Why and how? Does this look like it would be a reputable grey market purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by TuoInside View Post
    Only have two questions... Why and how? Does this look like it would be a reputable grey market purchase?
    Amazon has me covered with the A-to-Z guarantee.
    It covers 3rd party sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Lol...Omg ..Whew I needed that . Thanks Dan . Good one
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Member

Is that something with Prime, or some sort of member benefit thing? I thought that guarantee was only if you purchased directly from Amazon. Any info welcome, this is a steal!

Sold out!
    That was fast, thanks Goliath!

no kidding - ya at this prince I had to order one. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Sold out!
    That was fast, thanks Goliath!
    Well... if there's one thing I've learned about this hobby in the last few months it's this: If you find a great deal on something you're interested in, BUY IT! I have missed so many great deals because of second guessing the purchase. :P

The reform and m7A don't compare to the origjnal. If cash is tight just buy a decant of the real deal. 2 sprays of the real thing will last you 8hrs. A 10ml decant is a lot of top shelf juice. I've sold plenty.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Well that was quick! To all who were able to grab one, you're welcome. I had a sample of this and really enjoyed it. At the time Amazon had the lowest price so I added it to my wish list. Just happened to look over the list and couldn't believe my eyes. Thought some of you might benefit from knowing about it. I picked one up for myself too.

Just as an aside, with all the talk about vintage, reforms, and current versions, I can't be bothered with that. Primarily if one cannot compare the two side by side how can you really know which is better? Also, vintage formulations are not easy to come by to purchase, and if they are available it is usually cost-prohibitive. For the true connoisseur I completely understand obtaining a vintage formulation, but I'm just regular guy like me who just wants to smell nice and enjoy what he is wearing.

Well that was quick! To all who were able to grab one, you're welcome. I had a sample of this and really enjoyed it. At the time Amazon had the lowest price so I added it to my wish list. Just happened to look over the list and couldn't believe my eyes. Thought some of you might benefit from knowing about it. I picked one up for myself too.

Just as an aside, with all the talk about vintage, reforms, and current versions, I can't be bothered with that. Primarily if one cannot compare the two side by side how can you really know which is better? Also, vintage formulations are not easy to come by to purchase, and if they are available it is usually cost-prohibitive. For the true connoisseur I completely understand obtaining a vintage formulation, but I'm just regular guy like me who just wants to smell nice and enjoy what he is wearing.
    +100.

It's better not to try to hold on to the departed.

Just got an email.
    I had a funny feeling....

Thanks for your order from XXXXX, we really do appreciate having an opportunity to service you.
    Your order on Amazon is for YSL M-7 Oud Absolu Eau de Toilette Spray for Men, 2.7 Ounce. After your order was processed and prepared for shipping, we noticed it is incorrectly listed and not an item we carry. Our sincerest apologies, we need your help to cancel this order to avoid disappointment when you receive a completely different item.

Just got an email.
    The price did seem too good to be true. Sorry it didn't pan out for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The price did seem too good to be true. Sorry it didn't pan out for you.
    Thanks hednic.
    Flash in the pan, I doubt I would have liked it much anyway.

I do have both and Love both... I was able to get my M7 Oud Absolu for a Great price... This was late last year if I remember correctly... It was in the $80.00 Range I do believe... $16.92 would be a steal... I'm sorry it did not work out!!!

Just got an email.
    Got the same email....sigh