Great thread - I've enjoyed reading all the responses!
Me? I started with so little knowledge and a few prejudices. It's possible my tastes haven't so much changed as expanded:
- I thought I didn't like patchouli, then I met Calamity J and Coromandel. Love patchouli.
- I went through a huge iris craze. Love iris, but I'm mostly over it now. We're still friends.
- I found out that leather is a note. At first I thought this was weird, and Bandit was bitter and harsh. Now I have like 20 leather fragrances and I love Bandit
- I discovered Tuberose and now we're having a torrid affair. That's been going on a while, and I see no sign of it ending. Although I've recently started seeing rose and orange blossom on the side.
- Two years ago I thought Cuir de Russie was too stinky. Now I love skanky animalic perfumes.
- I used to think amber was boring, but now I notice differences and have found ones that I love: Ambre 114 is my favorite.
- Gourmands excited me for about ten minutes, but then I realized I don't want to smell like chocolate, pastry, coffee, or cookies.