Code of Conduct

Default How have your tastes evolved since getting into fragrances?

I got into fragrances around 2004 or so and I think at the time very sweet gourmands and citruses were popular. I was basically just buying what people were telling me was good and then I was pretty happy with just having colognes that got female compliments.

However over the course of 8 or so years I have been searching more and more stuff that I liked personally whether or not it got compliments. I have found that I really like more animalic...raunchy stuff and very gentlemanly fragrances like Pour Monsieur or similar ones.

I'm still exploring.
    Last edited by Pappy; 11th November 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How have your tastes evolved since getting into fragrances?

absolutely
    I thought i was citrus/fresh/fruity type of a guy

now I seem to like gourmands/sweets better.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i used to think drakkar noir and eternity were the two best colognes ever.

Post Thanks / Like

My tastes have changed a lot since I started. I used to hate incense and now I'm rather fond of it. Still am a sucker for a good fresh and clean fragrance with a bunch of citrus up top. Tonka bean has really worn on me and I try to avoid fragrances that are heavy on the note. Getting very picky about what amber's I like. I think the biggest difference now is that I really appreciate fragrances that are a bit lighter. When I first started the only fragrances I enjoyed were the projection beasts. I've learned that less is more through my short time in fragrances.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

I've fallen head over heels for spices.
    - L'Air du Desert Marocain & Tom Ford for Men

I've developed a bit of a sweet tooth.
    - Hanae Mori, HM

I've gone back to church!
    - Gucci Pour Homme (2003)

I've gone to the gas station.
    - Fahrenheit

I made time to stop and smell the roses.
    - Ungaro III

I realized how much I enjoy the smell of tea.
    - Gucci Pour Homme II

I guess I enjoy plum too.
    - John Varvatos original and Lucky Number 6

I don't enjoy incense, but apparently I love it in fragrances.
    - Zirh Ikon & CdG 2 Man

Years ago, I never would have imagined even wanting to wear any of those. My taste has really expanded, but I've also come to fully appreciate scents that I used to wear years ago.
    - Happy For Men & Curve
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I think the most important thing I learned was the art aspect of perfumery, which expanded my perspective in great measure.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I honestly think I'll come back full circle....or still evolve. Like I've grown to where I like super formal or macho stuff now, but I will probably find a way to like gourmands or summer frags again later on I bet.

It keeps changing the more I sample and getting used to the different notes. The exception being I still dislike aquatics in general.

To me, it's all about the journey. I like trying new and old alike. Odd and off the wall as well as mainstream.

Basically they have remained the same over the years as far as what goes in my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I've grown fond of tuberose which I couldn't tolerate.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest change as I see it is I'm much more tolerant of vetiver frags.

I notice and pick out certain individual notes a lot more. I'm more critical overall and like to compare more and more fragrances rather than just settling on purchasing something out of a several.
    When reading on an upcoming fragrance I have better judgment on whether I'll like it or not based on the experiences of smelling different notes and knowing which notes I really enjoy to ones I dislike or hate.
    I'm open to trying women's fragrances and before where I other's perspective of the fragrance had an impact on how I viewed the fragrance, now I could care less. I sample A LOT and wear what I like most regardless if others love or hate it.
    I venture a lot more into niche since overall they make scents with less focus on making it overall likable. Although, I wish designer fragrances followed suit more often since I really hate paying a lot of the prices niche companies are asking.

So my views and tastes changed quite a bit!
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

My tastes have changed as I have become more discriminating. And they change with the seasons too. I have rocked some dark and some might say some nasty fragrances all winter. Lately I have sterted my summer rotation. Hoping to find more challenging scents suitable for the warmer months though. Citrusy and dark at the same time...and I have found one that I need to wear more. Montale Aoud Ever. Wore it the first time today and have enjoyed it very much.

Bottom line is that the more I explore the more I like things I would have hated few years ago. Still don't like vetiver except for one...Sycomore.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I first liked Citrus, moved to gourmandish stuff. Now I'm into scents with floral elements.

i started off in the mainstream, ck one was the first frag i was ever given as a gift. when i started buying for myself and seriously collecting, i found myself gravitating towards the niche stuff. its just nice to have some frags that no one else that i know outside of other collectors is going to have.

i also loathed citrus. i was given a few as gifts and said thanks but secretly turned up my nose. recently i got a sample of oranges and lemons say the bells of st. clements. its blown my mind. it smells really natural, unlike the cleaning product smell that most citrus frags remind me of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite diversely, from the generic youthful scents in my early to mid teens when I started out (though I had a liking for classics too even then) to a more altogether powerhouse, even Old-School fragrance wardrobe in my late teens and early adulthood, to rediscovering (and liking) certain gourmands and recent releases as of lately. And, of course, a totally new and almost entirely unexpected reappraisal of the terms niche, designer etc. and of the divides (existing or not) between them.

My taste has always been the same, and I can't imagine ever changing them.

I've always been a gourmand/sugary sweet fragrances type of guy.
    Vanilla, caramel, tonka, chocolate.

Spices is also something I like to some extend.
    Cinnamon, coffee and ginger, primarily.

I've always been into fruity/tropical fragrances as well.
    Pineapple, watermelon, melon, mandarin, blood orange, plum.

And I've recently started to enjoy boozy fragrances, particularly the ones with Rum in them.
    Last edited by MikeDropIt; 2nd April 2013 at 08:42 AM.

from designer to niche
    from great but usual to weird, challenging ones (black afgano)
    from fresh to gourmands
    from mass to unique
    from bottles to decants/samples
    still not liking a*men original

- - - Updated - - -

sounds interesting. could you list your favourites?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    My taste has always been the same, and I can't imagine ever changing them.

I've always been a gourmand/sugary sweet fragrances type of guy.
    Vanilla, caramel, tonka, chocolate.

Spices is also something I like to some extend.
    Cinnamon, coffee and ginger, primarily.

I've always been into fruity/tropical fragrances as well.
    Pineapple, watermelon, melon, mandarin, blood orange, plum.

And I've recently started to enjoy boozy fragrances, particularly the ones with Rum in them.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my actual tastes have really changed much over the years. One thing that has changed is my tolerance level for trying new fragrances. At one time I avoided entire houses based on either one bad experience or fear of an expected bad experience. I have learned along the way that way of thinking was a mistake and have found a lot of my favorites in houses and categories I expected to dislike...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've realised that all the old school original formulations are much better than the dross that gets put out now, apart from Dior Homme and a few notable exceptions (at least in the designer world)

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly...no. I've been here going on 5 years now and being here has actually opened my eyes to much more BUT my tastes stayed pretty much the same. There was a year or 2 where I went sample crazy and used to post my reviews in long threads here. What I realized were the multitude of niche brands just weren't me. They were some great scents, some different scents but to me they were very "formalized" and unwearable in my normal environment and that is really what I always look for...something for me. So while the journey has been great, my tastes haven't changed. I may think a Creed is great but will I buy it..probably not because I'm pretty simple about what I like for home, work and being out and about. This place just opened my eyes to whats out there and gave me a better platform understanding it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

I've embraced vanilla's hairy chest.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely.
    Grant used to have a fragrance selector for a couple of years after I joined, which gave examples of different scents in different categories.
    It had some categories I really didn't like at first smell of each of the suggested scents, but I perservered and grew to like them all. One can do the same thing with the Leffingwell/ H&R Chart, and check out scents across the categories. Else, if one just goes by nose, many people will just wind up with scents in a few categories.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Loved many scents up to a teenager when it seems I became *stuck* and liked either the citrus or florals (mainly rose, iris and magnolia). That stuck around for some years and remember liking but not understanding my fathers tastes such as Tsar and wood and incense perfumes. When I started studying abroad I missed so many scents of home and wanted the woody scents, herbal scents and marine scents . I went off to FM Rue Grenelle (sp) to seek out the sampler box (then nine) as my mother suggested. This first sampler box set me off exploring the other notes.

This led to wearing scents meant for the men......but not so much the tobacco notes until TF.

Still tended to gravitate (habit perhaps) back to the citrus and the rose.......but then started to experiment with other notes which I appreciated more, especially the oriental notes.

Have almost given up on finding the aquatic scent......and will never get the *rubber* notes.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Post Thanks / Like

Initially, I started with standard designer fragrances like Hugo Boss Bottled, ADG, etc. Most of which I still enjoy. Over time I have tried more niche fragrances and stumbled upon some awesome fragrances and houses I really enjoy.

My taste remains exacty the same (I know what I like and don´t like and this will never change), but my knowledge of the universe of fragrances increased. Before discovering basenotes, I had never known about dark fragrances, oud, strong orientals or florals for men. My knowledge was limited to the fragrances I had already owned.

Post Thanks / Like

My frag journey and nose development below:

Amateur nose (Armani Code is king)
    More refined nose (DHI is God, pure malt opening is best thin ever omg omg omg must spend crazy amount of money to buy up everything)
    Mega sweet tooth phase
    Brief snob phase..brief I said
    Broke ass bum but with many frags and huge repertoire
    Niche is awesome, f*** designer
    Too powerful perfumes screwed up my nose (i think somewhat permanently it skews my perspective on loudness and longevity)
    Withdrawal
    Niche ain't all that
    Lost my love for Pure Malt...kind of hate it now
    Mega sweet tooth phase over with
    Got back to preferring designer smells
    On threshold of selling most of my stuff, only keeping main players

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrances that I used to love:
    Back to black
    Vetiver Tonka
    Ambre narguille
    Le male
    La nuit de l'homme
    Black afgano
    Leather oud
    Nasomatto duro

Now my favorites are:
    DHI
    Tobacco Vanille
    Creed Millesime imperial
    Xerjoff uden
    Xerjoff richwood
    Bois D'argent
    FRAPIN 1270
    FRAPIN l'huminaste

I don't love the very sweet gourmands or the deep dark fragrances anymore.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My taste is unchanged (chypres, preferably green chypres and eau de colognes for summer) but my knowledge has broadened and thus the number of fragrances I own and happily wear.

When I started using fragrances, minis had been easily available and I bought them to figure out if I really like the scent. My first full bottles had been Diors Eau Savage (still love it) and Armani by Armani (unfortunately discontinued). There have been some other well composed chypres as well. Several years later Eau Savage had been the only surviving fragrance and I tried and bought some new ones that seemed ok but finally lacked the quality of my first frags. I was disappointed and I did not use them.

Looking back with todays knowledge I was trying to replace my early chypres without knowing what I was looking for and thus not able to describe it properly to a sales assistant to get some help.

Today I visit shops to sample the chypres I might want to buy and try other scents because I am curious. And I prefer the older versions of a fragrance if I can get them.

Post Thanks / Like

Stage One: anything that doesn't smell like a mainstream designer is weird and uncomfortable

Stage Two: whoa! I didn't know fragrances could smell like this! (TdH, PM, CPMC)

Stage Three: I don't know what I'm doing so I'm buying everything (designer mostly)...some of its good, some of it stinks

Stage Four: I'm ready for niche!

Stage Five: Fumerie Turque, disgusting!! I'm in over my head... Ahhhh I'm not ready for niche!

Stage Six: Ill try anything and sample more often as opposed to just Blind Buying

Stage Seven: there's a ton of really interesting and beautiful stuff out there...let me sell all that old designer crap and niche impulses so I can get my hands on it

Stage Eight: did I mention I hate masculine florals, oud-centric fragrances, and all things "skanky"

Stage Nine: I love some of these frags but I simply cannot wear them for one reason or another (goodbye Fahrenheit, see ya later Heritage)

Stage Ten: I know what I like and what I can wear. I can safely make Blind Buys 95% of the time but I also have the patience to sample when warranted. There's still a ton of stuff out there, designer and niche, I couldn't care less about vintage, and I think I feel a serious Vetiver kick coming on.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - I've enjoyed reading all the responses!

Me? I started with so little knowledge and a few prejudices. It's possible my tastes haven't so much changed as expanded:

- I thought I didn't like patchouli, then I met Calamity J and Coromandel. Love patchouli.

- I went through a huge iris craze. Love iris, but I'm mostly over it now. We're still friends.

- I found out that leather is a note. At first I thought this was weird, and Bandit was bitter and harsh. Now I have like 20 leather fragrances and I love Bandit

- I discovered Tuberose and now we're having a torrid affair. That's been going on a while, and I see no sign of it ending. Although I've recently started seeing rose and orange blossom on the side.

- Two years ago I thought Cuir de Russie was too stinky. Now I love skanky animalic perfumes.

- I used to think amber was boring, but now I notice differences and have found ones that I love: Ambre 114 is my favorite.

- Gourmands excited me for about ten minutes, but then I realized I don't want to smell like chocolate, pastry, coffee, or cookies.

I've moved from mainly just liking citrus/woods and never really liking gourmands, now to loving some gourmands. I originally had a hard time with vetiver and have grown to actually enjoy and appreciate it in many frags. Many fragrances I first thought too feminine or too divided on the unisex line, I now enjoy and even wear comfortably. I'm very slowly becoming more accepting of some florals and I've developed much more appreciation for quality in general.

Thanks to my fellow basenoters, I"m learning more about this fragrance thing everyday. Taste is always evolving and learning what notes are contained in different scents. Thanks.

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

How come you join date in 1970, that's before my birth, registration of Basenotes and main stream creation of WWW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't know that my nose was maturing until a few months ago when I started noticing I was not liking every frag I smelled. I thought I was becoming a frag snob, but it was my nose maturing and learning the notes I liked and the ones I didn't, the types of frags I liked and didn't. I knew I didn't like niche frags and still don't. Most are full of oud and overpriced. I know that I like vintage, feminine frags which has expanded my fragrance experience. It has taken a lot of sampling to get to this point, but it has been well worth it to gain the maturity level I have gotten to. I still have a lot to learn and do everyday.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I knew I didn't like niche frags and still don't. Most are full of oud and overpriced.
    Overpriced is in the eye of the beholder, I grant you--though some niche lines are actually quite comparable in price to designer: Serge Lutens (especially at discounters), Etat Libre d'Orange, Diptyque.

But "full of oud" is nowhere near true. Sure, many lines have included one, but they're still in the tiny minority - most of the main niche lines I can think of--Malle, Lutens, ELd'O, Tauer, Goutal, MPG, Parfumerie Generale, Parfums d'Empire, the Chanel Exclusives--don't include an oud fragrance as far as I know.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my tastes in fragrance have stayed pretty much the same over time. Dry. Vetivers. Oud. Smoke. Leather. Oak Moss.
    The one change I noticed is that I was never much for fruit before but now I'm more OK with some of the Creeds.

Coming in, I think I was in a pretty similar mindset as many of the folks in this thread, that being a love for spices and citruses. On a whim one day I decided to swing by the mall and smell a few fragrances. I was pointed in the direction of Rochas Man by you guys, and that became the first gourmand that I really fell in love with. Bought it that day, haven't looked back since. Eventually my penchant for spices evolved and I took interest in the plants they were derived from, finally beginning to realize just how nice florals, specifically rose, could be. While I've become fond of several rose fragrances, I've yet to find one that really captures everything I'm looking for. However, my fragrance hobby truly morphed into a journey once I discovered the immense range displayed in various woods and roots... Vetiver has become my downfall. It is simply a magnificent ingredient and captures everything I desire in masculine fragrances. Now imagine the thoughts that cross my mind when the sales associates in all these stores do a double-take when I ask about which vetivers they have in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by King Michael View Post
    Coming in, I think I was in a pretty similar mindset as many of the folks in this thread, that being a love for spices and citruses. On a whim one day I decided to swing by the mall and smell a few fragrances. I was pointed in the direction of Rochas Man by you guys, and that became the first gourmand that I really fell in love with. Bought it that day, haven't looked back since. Eventually my penchant for spices evolved and I took interest in the plants they were derived from, finally beginning to realize just how nice florals, specifically rose, could be. While I've become fond of several rose fragrances, I've yet to find one that really captures everything I'm looking for. However, my fragrance hobby truly morphed into a journey once I discovered the immense range displayed in various woods and roots... Vetiver has become my downfall. It is simply a magnificent ingredient and captures everything I desire in masculine fragrances. Now imagine the thoughts that cross my mind when the sales associates in all these stores do a double-take when I ask about which vetivers they have in stock!
    I was the other way around. I started back when gourmands were the hip thing, now I'm more into gentleman smelling colognes.

Not so much evolved, but expanded. I enjoy many more types of scents than when I first started out.

Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully, no. I have always just liked what I think smells good. My tastes have always been pretty consistent. If it smells good, I want it. Basenotes just leads me to more choices to sample.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Truthfully, no. I have always just liked what I think smells good. My tastes have always been pretty consistent. If it smells good, I want it. Basenotes just leads me to more choices to sample.
    Well put.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of the smells-not-perfumes things that I loved initially are still pleasant to me but I've gotten more attracted to traditional French perfumery, especially Guerlain's stuff.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Nice reading everyone.

I started here looking for something in the vein of my first "real" and only fragrance Bulgari Aqua. I was into fresh aquatic scents.

Later I became obsessed with gourmands which I find very comfortable to wear (especially during cold weather).

Then I explored some niches and became more interested into unique stuff.

Right now
    I am almost at the begining. I realized that I dont want fragrances that I want to wear once per 3 months (like more than half of my wardrobe). I want just fragrances that I can reach for everytime without regreting my choice later that day. Fragrances that will complete my personality and style. Fragrances that I will wear and not opposite. I am still looking for that green, dry and bit spicy, natural smelling fragrance but right now I am happy with my top 4 that I could wear for next 10 years.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Yes! I have always loved fragrance since I was a baby (literally) but as I aged I usually just tried things available tin mainstream department store. Now I sample everything, from the less common niche scents to the new releases to mainstream.

My tastes evolved, and I rotate scents according to what I am yearning for.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I never like scents until I discovered niche and relatively non mainstream stuff and my exploring started from there. I'm starting to try more designer scents, and while I appreciate them, I still don't want to wear them. Ask me again in 5 years, because I've really only just started this journey.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to know where my tastes are going. I'm less keen on 'challenging' scents now and seem to be exploring a more conservative streak; not too sweet, not too spicy... and definitely no aquatics.
    Last edited by Spoombung; 5th April 2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Do I need a reason?

Post Thanks / Like

I came to realize that there's so much more out there than the standard design house stuff. I've found the niche market and discovered that there is where I'm likely to find the scents I like best and don't smell like everything (and everyone) else.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my very first designer fragrance was Acqua di Gio, but a lot has changed since that first bottle in 2001. And I can name at least eight examples.

• I didn't know that powerful orientals and gourmands (and occasionally chypres) were my favorite scent category.
    • I didn't know about niche (and my favorite niche house wasn't even in existence then).
    • I didn't know that you could often score cologne bargains at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.
    • I didn't know that some men wore women's scents and vice versa.
    • Some of my all-time favorite fragrances (Straight to Heaven, Terre d'Hermés, M7, Back to Black) came out after I got that first bottle of AdG.
    • I didn't know that one person's overdose could permanently wreck my perception of a scent (case in point: Obsession for women and, sadly, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme).
    • I wasn't sucked into the Creed hype (which I did end up in for a while, and quickly found my way back out of).
    • I wasn't aware of some of the bargains in the fragrance world (PdN New York, I'm looking at you).
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post

Right now[/B] I am almost at the begining. I realized that I dont want fragrances that I want to wear once per 3 months (like more than half of my wardrobe). I want just fragrances that I can reach for everytime without regreting my choice later that day.
    Yep. This sums it up for me.

I have come to appreciate unisex scents more as well as that cumin note in fragrances. I have never been too keen on vetiver but I have learnt to appreciate some of them.

The big change for me is that at the start of my fragrance journey my nose was easily pleased and if it smelled half decent I would like it. But now having tried hundreds of fragrances and bought great ones I have lost that easily pleased innocence of a newbie. I am not as easily pleased and can be picky going through tons of sample just to find that one diamond in a rough.

Now every time I try a scent I want it to move me, or wow me, take me on a journey or smell like something I have not really smelled before. And those frags are getting harder to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have come to appreciate unisex scents more as well as that cumin note in fragrances. I have never been too keen on vetiver but I have learnt to appreciate some of them.

The big change for me is that at the start of my fragrance journey my nose was easily pleased and if it smelled half decent I would like it. But now having tried hundreds of fragrances and bought great ones I have lost that easily pleased innocence of a newbie. I am not as easily pleased and can be picky going through tons of sample just to find that one diamond in a rough.

Now every time I try a scent I want it to move me, or wow me, take me on a journey or smell like something I have not really smelled before. And those frags are getting harder to find.
    Yep, this is also my experience - although I notice you've got 50 fragrances; isn't that enough? I personally think it's a bit pointless searching for the next big thing in that manner - it's like wanting a bigger high for an addict - and actually quite bad for one's mental health. Do you know what I mean?

- - - Updated - - -

- sorry 39 fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Yep, this is also my experience - although I notice you've got 50 fragrances; isn't that enough? I personally think it's a bit pointless searching for the next big thing in that manner - it's like wanting a bigger high for an addict - and actually quite bad for one's mental health. Do you know what I mean?

- - - Updated - - -

- sorry 39 fragrance!
    I don't see it like that, I view it as a very enjoyable hobby. The more frags I try/buy the more I enjoy and expand my horizons. The key is to never let it become a obsession and just enjoy the ride/thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Yep. This sums it up for me.

I agree with this very much too. It is sad though its taken about 50 purchases or more to realize what I like to wear any time I feel like reaching for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked the smell of incense at all, let alone in fragrances, and I loved strong citrus fragrances.

Now I far prefer the smell of incense over citrus.

Thread necromancy.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been into this hobby since July and my tastes have changed dramatically since then. When I started, I was all for sweet gormands as well. Now, I'm getting into chypres, orientals, woods, soliflores. Really, I'm finding that I am just enjoying the exploration and experiencing different things.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Thread necromancy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now that I am 33 yes..
    I still have my favs Issey - 360 Red and so on..

But now these Niche house blow the designer stuff out of the box..
    Well some of them