Code of Conduct

Default Wearing A*Men in an office setting

Yes, I know that A*Men is one of the most controversial designer fragrances on Basenotes, ranking up there with Kouros.
    Yes, I know that A*Men is a very unique scent, whether you love it or hate it.
    Yes, I know that A*Men is an extremely strong fragrance with sillage similar to the jet blast of an Airbus A380.

But, in your own opinion, can A*Men (and/or the various A*Men flankers) be worn in an office setting, or should it be saved for time out of the office?

My 2 (s)cents: One of my coworkers wears A*Men and several A*Men flankers (including Pure Malt and Pure Leather) to the office religiously, and I've worn A*Men to the office on occasion as well... application is key in this case.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Wearing A*Men in an office setting

IMO Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Absolutely.
    +1.

Most likely, I'd say not the most likely choice for office wear, but then again, with few sprays applied and especially in larger and/or very well air-conditioned offices, both A Men and its flankers may be just fine.

Basenotes Member

How do you guys apply it?

I've worn it to my classes before.

What I do is at maybe a feet or so away, one on the chest and one on the neck.

So far, no complaints. But no compliments either. Actually, not even a comment.

I'm sure it projects okay as around six, seven hours in, I still get constant whiffs of it.

I would say no if you work in a conservative office but its a more laid back enviorment then go for it. A*men can engulf a room easily. Its not offensive however its not a professional conservative scent.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't wear A*Men to my worst enemy's funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    The question is about an office not a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    I would say no if you work in a conservative office but its a more laid back enviorment then go for it. A*men can engulf a room easily. Its not offensive however its not a professional conservative scent.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Our office is an ad agency, but not Mad Men type of wear... it's very laid back by either local agency or national agency standards. Jeans and khakis for bottoms, along with patterned shirts, polos, and sweaters are normal wear in our office, and our employees don't break out the suits unless formal wear is required. In fact, you can get by perfectly fine in American Eagle or Abercrombie (though I personally prefer Eddie Bauer, Express, and the occasional Ralph Lauren polo). The office itself is also laid back, decorated in gray, white, and orange with exposed ceilings, Aeron chairs, and light-tone wood desks. Even the bathrooms are decorated with funny signs and vintage Kohler ads (as the bathrooms have Kohler toilets).

And you are right about A*Men engulfing a room easily. Right now, the A*Men addict coworker that I mentioned before sits in the office next to me, and often times, his A*Men overpowers whatever I'm wearing for the day. He and a scentless coworker are switching cubes soon with another scentless coworker (though he does occasionally wear Acqua di Gio).
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, I think it can, but wear only a little bit (like 1 or 2 sprays maybe).

And do it 2 hours before you go to work.

Yes, yes, I know, some of you wear 5 to 10 sprays and get no criticism on it, but that's what being polite is about.

Sure why not?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    ...But, in your own opinion, can A*Men (and/or the various A*Men flankers) be worn in an office setting, or should it be saved for time out of the office?
    I've worn A*Men (and flankers) to work with no problems at all...

My 2 (s)cents: One of my coworkers wears A*Men and several A*Men flankers (including Pure Malt and Pure Leather) to the office religiously, and I've worn A*Men to the office on occasion as well... application is key in this case.
    I think you've answered your own question. The original A*Men is the strongest, so I just use/spray less when and if I decide to wear it. I spray at least 30 minutes before I go/drive to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    +1.

Wore it many times. Just don't go overboard with the sprays.

Pure Malt, Pure Havane - absolutely. The original...not a chance in a hell, or unless you hate your coworkers.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

No.

If you don't mind giving fellow workers and more importantly other senior managers the possible impression that you'd rather be either partying or hunting women than being there working, by all means, wear modern day orientals to work.

Unless orientals are old style (from the 70s) or have a fairly fresh component, I think they're best kept away from the work place.
    Regards,
    Renato

ANY fragrance can be worn in an office. All down to application.

I wear A*Men to the office frequently in the winter. Just don't go overboard and it isn't a problem at all.

1 or two sprays maximum. I put my under the shirt to tame the beast.

Yeah, why not. I like to save A*men and frags of that ilk for play time, but that's just me.

i remember using angel men on a bus, just one spray and everyone complaining how overwhelming it was.

Please don't wear it around people trying to work. Very antisocial.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    very true, I agree too.
    I myself have worn A MEN to office many times and got compliments without any complaints.
    Last edited by nfn1983; 31st March 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Not sure I'd go along with that one *reaches for Secretions Manifique*

A*Men in the office is fine. It's good juice. Just go very steady.

One spray of Amen is fine for the office. One bold shot to the chest. Then leave that sprayer alone.

AMen is sold in just about every dept store and Sephora in the world. Do you think that all of the several million people who have purchased it since 1996 are sitting around fretting about where to wear it?
    No.
    Try to think outside of the Basenotes Bubble and you can easily answer questions like this for yourself.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

As long as you use common sense,it should not be a issue.
    John aka Easykiller

When I smell A*men does it invoke the thoughts and emotions that make me say "Hmmm... Feels very professional, distinguished, and very appropriate. I definitely get an office scent type of vibe with this one."

No.

If A*men were a guy he'd be hit with a sexual harrassment suit within a week. It's loud, highly opinionated, and divisive. Any of those characteristics would not be appropriate for my office. Would you wear an Obama '08 shirt to work? Or a nice inoffensive button up dress shirt.

People who say you can wear whatever you want are thinking very selfishly. How much Paco Rabanne One Million can I wear to a funeral?
    Last edited by romeocasido; 1st April 2013 at 02:39 AM.

I work in a Hospital as a CNA and I wear Pure Leather, no complaints, had a few compliments from co workers, female patients make positive comments; the only concern I would have now is that AMen (and friends) are more suited for Fall/Winter so I worry that once higher temps hit you'll start clearing rooms.

Yes. I'm actually looking at purchasing a bottle mostly for daily office use (weekend night out also) during the fast approaching Winter. For the office all I want is something that's reletively well priced, projects well and lasts at least 10 hours. So Summer I'd go with L'eau D'Issey and 212 Men and Winter LIDGE and possibly A*Men. Although sometimes it doesn't really matter because the office is always airconditioned to the same temperature so it stays the same season all year round.

Sure, but...

application is key in this case.
    I like a light body-mist application and a small squirt to the wrists for powerhouses at work.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Are you that selfish? Are you guys really thinking this out? Or do you love A*men so much that you'd wear it anywhere and just looking for validation on a message board full of frag heads. OF COURSE WERE GONNA TELL YOU IT'S OK! We're gonna tell you to go ahead and wear Aventus to a funeral. Try to pick up some chicks while you're at it.

But think about this... On the reviews of A*men here on BN it gets 125 negative reviews out of a possible 447. That's 27.9%. And those are people who love fragrances so much that they would create a login account and fill out a profile for a website that is all about fragrances.

So maybe you can apply that to your workplace population and think that about 1/4th of your coworkers will hate it. And the unrefined noses at your work would most likely have a higher negative percentage.

A*men does not have a good first impression and is an acquired taste. Your coworkers aren't gonna have the patience to fall in love with it. Would you give the receptionist's new perfume a second chance if you hated it the first time around?

I don't even think A*men smells professional. Don't think "Hey, this guy chooses to smell like filthy chocolate in a professional setting! I'm totally gonna respect him as a coworker and take him seriously."

You're really over thinking this romeo. Nobody's going to smell A*Men at the office and think "hmm this guys cologne has an extremely unprofessional aura about it. Better not take him seriously". It's a perfume, it's designed to smell good. It doesn't smell like dog shit?

I'm willing to bet that half of the people that gave A*Men a negative review would actually enjoy smelling its sillage from another person. It's one of those scents that if you bury your nose in it, it can be a little harsh, but when you get a waft from someone passing by, it is quite pleasant. The smell of A*Men would be a welcome change from some of the odours I smell on men at work.

I work in the most conservative office setting imaginable. It took us forever to adopt a casual Friday policy. Before that it was suits (with jackets generally worn 100% of the time) and ties Monday to Friday. That said, I wear a fragrance every day. I spray it on my chest only and can catch whiffs of it all day. I bring the bottle or an atomizer for occasional top ups. So far so good.

Last week though I oversprayed Pure Malt (I used the same amount of sprays but for some reason, it was a total beast that day). I was a little paranoid all morning until it tamed down a bit. I mostly hung in my office with the door closed. My biggest concern was that all I could smell was booze. I only had 4 hours sleep and was worried someone may have thought I was up all night on a major bender. Lol.

EDIT: As an aside, I do not consider Pure Malt to be a big projection/sillage frag. I was shocked when I first got it as to how subdued it was compared to A*Men.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 1st April 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Basenotes Member

I love this scent, and I wear it to class every now and then, but I honestly don't think it's that appropriate. I wear it only when I'm in a "don't give a "$h!t" mood and I feel like indulging on my self.

For me, this has a loud and playful, yummy and alluring vibe. I honestly don't think this would fit an office environment unless it's a very laid back office where you are all chummy with your office mates.

There's a guy here in one of our offices that decks out his cube in Yankees memerobilia. During day games he wears Yankee gear to work. He's "that guy". And I'm sure in his personal life he leads a very complex lifestyle we can only judge him on what we see.

No one sees "that guy" as manager material.

Same with A*men

When this thread was started I thought it would be finished after a few "yes go ahead" replies.

Wrong I am!

IMHO it's almost disturbing that it's an issue if you can wear any fragrance in an office.

It's also disturbing that people are busy thinking what others would think of them by wearing it in an office or that they adjust they behavior because they are wearing it (close the door etc etc...)

I think one should be comfortable with wearing any scent on any occasion. If you find it appropriate yourself and it doesn't take your own breath than just wear it!

Enjoy your bottles to the last drip if you love them!!!

TLS

It is obnoxious to wear a*men at the office. Its just rude and inconsiderate to the people around you in this environment.

It is like listening to music so loud it is heard through your headphones - you might enjoy it and think it's awesome but others might not appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    It is obnoxious to wear a*men at the office. Its just rude and inconsiderate to the people around you in this environment.

It is like listening to music so loud it is heard through your headphones - you might enjoy it and think it's awesome but others might not appreciate it
    You tell em brother!

CologneFan85

Egh to heavy and high projecting for a office setting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    You're really over thinking this romeo. Nobody's going to smell A*Men at the office and think "hmm this guys cologne has an extremely unprofessional aura about it. Better not take him seriously". It's a perfume, it's designed to smell good. It doesn't smell like dog shit?

I'm willing to bet that half of the people that gave A*Men a negative review would actually enjoy smelling its sillage from another person. It's one of those scents that if you bury your nose in it, it can be a little harsh, but when you get a waft from someone passing by, it is quite pleasant. The smell of A*Men would be a welcome change from some of the odours I smell on men at work.
    +1 and quoted for truth. And to reiterate my original post here: wearing A*Men is just a matter of application.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    ...IMHO it's almost disturbing that it's an issue if you can wear any fragrance in an office.

It's also disturbing that people are busy thinking what others would think of them by wearing it in an office or that they adjust they behavior because they are wearing it (close the door etc etc...)...
    To the extent this is directed at me, I am not overly interested in fighting for the right to uconditionally wear fragrances in the workplace in whatever amount I wish, nor am I interested in intentionally pissing people off with whom I work every day and respect. I try to conduct myself (mostly by way of how much fragrance I apply) so as to be able to enjoy the fragrance I am wearing while I work, without intentionally upsetting others around me. To me there is nothing disturbing about that. Some might say that it would be disturbing if I were to conduct myself otherwise.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 1st April 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Depends on the workplace, your position, what you wish to achieve by wearing A*Men (e.g. dropping of panties, choking out colleagues, etc).