Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to buy in NYC?

Hey everyone so I'll be heading down to the big apple for a few days and am planning on buying some fragrances that are harder to come by here in Canada. I've been thinking on getting about three, with one of them for sure being Dior Ambre Nuit since it's nearly impossible to get and have been eager to finally add this masterpiece to my collection. I'm not sure on what the other two should be since there will be an array of fragrances available for me to try and buy. I'll only have one day for shopping with approximately three hours to go about where I want. The location will be restricted so the places where I can go will be around 5th avenue. I'll be heading to Macy's in Times square, Bergdorf Goodman and the Dior/Chanel boutiques. I'm not sure which exact fragrances Macy's and BG carry but can imagine they are plentiful.

I would love to buy Tonka Imperiale or an Amouage but they are simply too pricey and am not spending over $200 for a fragrance since I have other expense to purchase while I am there. I was thinking about buying another Collection Privee fragrance or a harder to find Serge Lutens one. I'm hoping not to be overwhelmed with the abundant selection and buy something on impulse and later regret my decision. I've been wanting to add Egoiste to the family but it can wait since I can purchase it later online; I'd like to get something thats harder to come by.

Can someone inform me what fragrances to expect in the stores I mentioned above and which fragrances you would purchase if you had the opportunity to visit. Many of you know my taste and my preferred notes/style. Also can't wait to acquire many samples and test some gems

Thanks all for the help!

Default Re: What to buy in NYC?

Bergdorfs, the main store, lower level. Lots of great treats there. Next, try Barney's. Very nice selection, top-notch service, and you can get in and out of both stores quickly. Buy one nice niche fragrance at each, and you're likely to end up with a load of great samples.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in and out of New York all the time. If you go to Dior on 57th Street, Chanel is next door and has all of the Exclusifs. test Sycomore, Coromandel, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie while you are there. Ask for samples. They are genorous if they have them

Hermes is literally round the corner on Madison. They have the Hermessence range and their samples are 4mls! They are huge. I would try Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile but there are ten in the range. Armani is a little further up Madison and should have the Prive Collection. Try Bois d' Encens.

From there you can either head up Madison to the boutiques (Creed, Frederic Malle, Bond No 9 and Diptyque are all close) or I would go to Saks and Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys on or close to 5th Avenue. If time is limited you really need a plan of what to shoot for.

If I had to pick a single shop, I'd probaby head for Saks. a very good range, including By Killian. Lutens is in Barneys. Forget Macy's. Checkout the Sephora on 5th Avenue for designer stuff. They are very friendly there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the replies!

I meant to say I'll also be on 57th where the Dior/Chanel stores are located side-by-side. I'll try to go to Barneys and completely forgot about Sephora, that'll be a definite must stop. If Hermes is that close then I'll be going there as well, would like to try the entire Hermessence range.

Yup I'll be time constrained so that's why I'm trying to devise a plan now rather then just wing it while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Threads View Post
    I am in and out of New York all the time. If you go to Dior on 57th Street, Chanel is next door and has all of the Exclusifs. test Sycomore, Coromandel, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie while you are there. Ask for samples. They are genorous if they have them

Hermes is literally round the corner on Madison. They have the Hermessence range and their samples are 4mls! They are huge. I would try Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile but therr are ten in the range.

From there you can either head up Madison to the boutiques (Creed, Frederic Malle, Bond No 9 and Diptyque are all close) or I would go to Saks and Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys on or close to 5th Avenue. If time is limited you really need a plan of what to shoot for.

If I had to pick a single shop, I'd probaby head for Saks. a very good range, including By Killian. Lutens is in Barneys. Forget Macy's. Checkout the Sephora on 5th Avenue for designer stuff. They are very friendly their.
    Terrific advice - this man knows the boutiques of NYC!

I'd also add the niche parfumeries of Aedes de Venustas (West Village), MiN and Osswald (both around the SoHo district, but at opposite ends). You'll find a few brands exclusive to those stores.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest you consider the Caron Boutique which is just off of Lexington a couple blocks east. If that's too far, try Henri Bendel right on 5th Avenue at 56th which has an amazing selection but very few pushy salespeople. Unfortunately at Saks and Bergdorfs it's very easy to get waylaid by sales staff who may try to waste your time with things in which you have no interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Threads View Post

Hermes is literally round the corner on Madison. They have the Hermessence range and their samples are 4mls! They are huge. I would try Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile but there are ten in the range. Armani is a little further up Madison and should have the Prive Collection. Try Bois d' Encens.

If I had to pick a single shop, I'd probaby head for Saks. a very good range, including By Killian. Lutens is in Barneys. Forget Macy's. Checkout the Sephora on 5th Avenue for designer stuff. They are very friendly there.
    I live in NY and this is what I'd do if I was in the city. Forget Macy's, waste of time unless you're interested in designer stuff, and sometimes they don't even have the newest releases which you can find on the Macy's website.

Post Thanks / Like

Macy's is part of the trip since my group and I have a behind the scenes tour scheduled as to how they operate etc then have an hour to just browse around there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, lots to check out but many of the stores will not be an option since time constriction and location prevent me from being able to go there such as the Caron boutique and Min.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep them coming!

Haven't been there in a while, but a couple of blocks from Bergdorf is the Bond No. 9 boutique.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bridge for sale very cheap:

it is called the Brooklyn Bridge and I am sure you'll get your money back very soon by charging a toll fee.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

CologneFan85

Hit up the Bond No. 9 stores

Post Thanks / Like

As others have already explained, there's way more than you can imagine only in the few 5th ave blocks around Bergdorf Goodman. Of those you've mentioned, Bergdorf (main store, downstairs) has the full range Guerlain boutique, the Serge Lutens export, Amouages (though perhaps not all, some are in the mens section across the street), and even the Chanel exclusives (though the boutique is just around the corner on 57 next to Dior - incidentally, regarding Dior, remember that the boutique often does not have all the perfumes, you may want to inquire in advance).

Barneys, one block north on Madison, downstairs in the cosmetics section has the full range Lutens (including the $$$$ exclusives), so it's an occasion to smell some, even if you don't buy. it has a $$$ Le labo store, and a bunch of other brands, from Diptyque to CDG to Malle.

But my favorite is perhaps Henri Bendel, a couple of blocks south of BG. It has the main Histoires de Parfum store, and the ELDO among others. Indeed, if I were to choose one brand, I'd go with ELDO, whose 50ml go for about $90.

cacio

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, hands down the best fragrance experience in NYC is Christopher Brosius' CB I Hate Perfume, and most of his scents are in the $80-$150 range. They are unique and many of them are not even on his website.

There is also a nascent "fragrance district" developing downtown whose route you can easily walk. This would include hitting Aedes de Venustas, C.O. Bigelow, Osswald, Odin, MiN, Santa Maria Novella, Le Labo, Atelier Cologne, and the original Bond No. 9 at 9 Bond St.. It takes about half an hour to walk the full circuit--obviously not including any time you want to spend in the stores. These boutiques have a lot more character than the midtown department stores and a rather dazzling selection of niche. If you also want to check out designer scents, there is a swath of perfume stores that you can hit between Osswald and Odin that include Bloomingdales and the stretch of Canal Street more known for fakes than anything else but that can be entertaining (and occasionally, a great deal on non-fake designer scents).
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 2nd April 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have already explained, there's way more than you can imagine only in the few 5th ave blocks around Bergdorf Goodman. Of those you've mentioned, Bergdorf (main store, downstairs) has the full range Guerlain boutique, the Serge Lutens export, Amouages (though perhaps not all, some are in the mens section across the street), and even the Chanel exclusives (though the boutique is just around the corner on 57 next to Dior - incidentally, regarding Dior, remember that the boutique often does not have all the perfumes, you may want to inquire in advance).

Barneys, one block north on Madison, downstairs in the cosmetics section has the full range Lutens (including the $$$$ exclusives), so it's an occasion to smell some, even if you don't buy. it has a $$$ Le labo store, and a bunch of other brands, from Diptyque to CDG to Malle.

But my favorite is perhaps Henri Bendel, a couple of blocks south of BG. It has the main Histoires de Parfum store, and the ELDO among others. Indeed, if I were to choose one brand, I'd go with ELDO, whose 50ml go for about $90.

cacio
    Thank you for the detailed info.

It looks like Barney's is a must stop. I love my Lutens and am hoping that maybe I'll be able to pick up one of the export ones. I am also excited to try out the many other fragrances all these stores carry since it'll be a treat just to give them a try.

I'll try my very best to go to Henri Bendel; I've heard some fantastic things about the store and it seems to be getting some great reviews. Would love to expand my experiences with HDP.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're in a hurry, you can also do a short version of Aedes, Osswald, and MiN.

Post Thanks / Like

The exclusive Lutens go for $300, way more than the eur 120-140 they demand in Paris. regrettably, if one cannot go to Paris, that's it.

BC: the boutique district is down in the village/SOHO etc., right? I think canuck said he has no time to go there (unfortunately - but he should too). I have seen most of them, except osswald. so I must try that too soon ...

cacio

Another vote for Aedes or MiN. Also Henri Bendel

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed info.

It looks like Barney's is a must stop. I love my Lutens and am hoping that maybe I'll be able to pick up one of the export ones. I am also excited to try out the many other fragrances all these stores carry since it'll be a treat just to give them a try.

I'll try my very best to go to Henri Bendel; I've heard some fantastic things about the store and it seems to be getting some great reviews. Would love to expand my experiences with HDP.
    Barneys is a must if you want the Lutens exclusive line (bell jars), but be warned they are all $280-$300.

Lutens export line, HdP, EldO are all available downtown (Aedes, Aedes/MiN, and MiN respectively).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The exclusive Lutens go for $300, way more than the eur 120-140 they demand in Paris. regrettably, if one cannot go to Paris, that's it.

BC: the boutique district is down in the village/SOHO etc., right? I think canuck said he has no time to go there (unfortunately - but he should too). I have seen most of them, except osswald. so I must try that too soon ...

cacio
    I think you'd dig Osswald. Their selection is not as broad as other stores yet, but I'd say it is the best store in terms of service and how it's run. Also many lines not available elsewhere like Parfumerie Generale, MDCI, Micallef, Profumum Roma, and many others that I'm forgetting.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I did miss the location restriction. Barneys is definitely the best bet if you can't leave the area around midtown.

Post Thanks / Like

That fragrance district Beranium mentioned has me wanting to go there so bad but my unfortunate three hour shopping time has me having to miss out on some great places. I will do my utmost to visit at least some of them.

The bell jar prices are daunting, but I'll give them a sniff and possibly obtain some samples.

Can someone please tell me which fragrances are in the bell jars? As well as which are the ones included in the export range and what are prices on those?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lutens website lists which ones are the exlusives: http://us.sergelutens.com/purchase.html

Note that you can buy many of the exclusives in 50ml rectangle bottles for $200 instead of $300. Not all of them, but at least the ones that have been exports at some point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bergdorf Goodman carries Maison Francis Kurkdjian which so far I have not found for sale in Canada (Toronto at least). I would personally buy one of his- Amyris Homme, Absolue Pour le Soir, Aqua Universalis Forte, Lumier Noir etc. Other fragrance ranges like Amouage, Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle, Creed, Tom Ford, By Kilian etc are all available in Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

As BC was saying, the export Lutens typically go for $120-140, which is not cheap but not unreasonable, and not far from the European price. But, as BC's link shows, some perfumes are only available in the bell jars. All exclusives are worth smelling. Perhaps the exclusives that are most talked about on BN are Sarrasins (jasmine leather), La Myrrhe, Iris Silver Mist, and Fumerie Turque.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice above and nothing to add except that given your lack of time you can probably skip Sephora. Nothing there you won't find in just about any other decent mainstream department store.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Bergdorf also carries the full offerings of Dior Privee. I don't remember if it was Barney's or Bergdorf, but they also had a large selection of HdP.

If you really want to try something special, visit the JAR area in Bergdorf.

Post Thanks / Like

If thats the price for the export Lutens I will very likely purchase one of them. And since the Privee can be found at Bergdorf I may get them there but I have a feeling Dior themselves would throw in those 5ml samples that I'm eyeing. I'll check out the JARs as well and of course all hte Guerlain exclusives, Malles and everything else I can spot. I'll post up my planned schedule soon! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help so far

Love this thread. May I be the first to suggest that we should all meet up in NYC for a tour? It's been done before, I'm sure, but all the guys chiming in here sound like fine companionship on a little fragrance safari in the big apple. Doesn't necessarily have to be anything too fancy or organized. Maybe just pick a weekend in a couple of months. Anyone interested?

Do it the second week of August and you'll have an Aussie joining you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Love this thread. May I be the first to suggest that we should all meet up in NYC for a tour? It's been done before, I'm sure, but all the guys chiming in here sound like fine companionship on a little fragrance safari in the big apple. Doesn't necessarily have to be anything too fancy or organized. Maybe just pick a weekend in a couple of months. Anyone interested?
    I'm hoping this thread can be a sort of foundation/Guide for anyone looking to do some sniffing in New York while visiting I think a planned meet-up between BN members would be a great idea, would not be able to attend since I'm just about to leave. Sigh.