Code of Conduct

Default Why are female scents so much more expensive than male?

(Apologies if this breaks forum rules- the only thread I could find that covered this was from 7 years ago.)

I've noticed whilst looking around that the women's versions of very similar scents are a good 20% more expensive than the men's versions in the UK from most suppliers.

Now, I know that someone will say that the men's version is an EdT and the women's version is an EdP and I understand that, but if you only produce the men's version in the EdT and the women's version in the EdP then that automatically means that women are going to have to spend more.

I also understand that with some scents they are naturally more expensive than others because of the ingredients, but if you look at, for instance Tom Ford, all of the scents that I can find online which are either unisex or intended as a women's scent are more than 20% more expensive than the same sized bottle of men's scents.

Are the ingredients really that much more expensive in women's scents, or is it to do with someone putting in more development costs with flashy bottles and packaging, or is it just good old image and pricing based on what you want to charge and husbands being easier to part with their money in the run up to Christmas?

Default Re: Why are female scents so much more expensive than male?

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Are the ingredients really that much more expensive in women's scents, or is it to do with someone putting in more development costs with flashy bottles and packaging, or is it just good old image and pricing based on what you want to charge and husbands being easier to part with their money in the run up to Christmas?
    Perhaps a combination of these and still other factors.

Basenotes Plus

Flowers are expensive.

The cost of materials only accounts for a minimal part of the cost of the frag. So most of it is simply to extract as much as they can, and evidently, as for most beauty products, they can still charge women more. (not that there's a lack of areas where to overcharge men - sportscars, golf accessories, blue pills, etc etc)

In the past, female frags were indeed of higher quality, using richer and more expensive materials. Men were simply supposed to smell like they had good grooming skills. But now most mainstream frags, for either sex, are mostly synth cheap stuff. But in any case, even back then, the materials weren't the reason for the price difference.

cacio

Agreed, I was wondering the same thing while picking out a scent for my girlfriend's birthday. My thought was, the EDP vs. EDT concentration. However, after smelling some of the EDPs...I am not sure why as they didn't seem to be of higher quality of concentration. As stated by cacio, I guess it's all to do with the name on the bottle as I she was testing all designer Choo, Chanel, HM, Narsisco Rodriguez...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The cost of materials only accounts for a minimal part of the cost of the frag. So most of it is simply to extract as much as they can, and evidently, as for most beauty products, they can still charge women more. (not that there's a lack of areas where to overcharge men - sportscars, golf accessories, blue pills, etc etc)

In the past, female frags were indeed of higher quality, using richer and more expensive materials. Men were simply supposed to smell like they had good grooming skills. But now most mainstream frags, for either sex, are mostly synth cheap stuff. But in any case, even back then, the materials weren't the reason for the price difference.

cacio

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    (Apologies if this breaks forum rules- the only thread I could find that covered this was from 7 years ago.

Yes xmas time counts for 2/3 of yearly sales!......recently there were several threads that covered the cost of perfumes topic in general,that have these words in the subject:
    Most natural and most synthetic perfumes
    Cost of a cappuccino or a coffee

You can look it up:-)

Same reason sports cars , high end watches are expensive.

It is in the human nature for a being to pay much more for a luxury than a need.

for swap/sale:

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. Getting men to buy and use Perfume has been an up hill struggle for a very long time; I think it is only recently that the men's market has approached the female. The men need to be encouraged.

Are they? I've only bought a few (older) women's scents or unisex niche, didn't really notice that one gender's fragrances are more expensive. Perhaps cause they're mostly EDP? It is a bit surprising as my theory was, at least when it comes to clothing, that women get the better deal as there's a bigger market and more competition. Perhaps it is the attempt though to get men to purchase beauty products (whereas they have to purchase clothing)?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Higher concentration may have something to do with it, but it may also be because perfume is much more popular for women than it is for men. Culturally speaking, in the United States, it's an unwritten rule that every woman has a perfume she wears.

Better marketing & advertising being a main reason...

This is very true. Every girl from pre-teen up in America has at least one scent. Even if it's just a cheap $14 bottle from Victoria's Secret, Walgreens $3 fruity "body" spray or a $100+ bottle of Flowerbomb. Most women I know have at the very least 5+ bottles of something whether it's expensive or not. The same can't be said for men. Most men that wear fragrances seem to receive them as gifts or they're frag heads like we Basenoters.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Higher concentration may have something to do with it, but it may also be because perfume is much more popular for women than it is for men. Culturally speaking, in the United States, it's an unwritten rule that every woman has a perfume she wears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Are they? I've only bought a few (older) women's scents or unisex niche, didn't really notice that one gender's fragrances are more expensive. Perhaps cause they're mostly EDP? It is a bit surprising as my theory was, at least when it comes to clothing, that women get the better deal as there's a bigger market and more competition. Perhaps it is the attempt though to get men to purchase beauty products (whereas they have to purchase clothing)?
    I've only noticed it since starting to compare prices of scents in the last few months when making sure that I'm not being ripped off with my bargain scents (compared to more respected and predictably genuine retailers).

Take, for instance, Guerlain scents.

La petite robe noire 100ml EdT £70.00
    Samsara 100ml EdT £74.00
    L'Instant 100ml EdT £76.00

Guerlain pour homme 100ml EdT £51.50
    Heritage 100ml EdT £60.00
    L'Instant pour homme 100ml £62.00

All prices picked off Debenhams website today.

It's not a HUGE amount, but it's definitely there and I'm even anal enough to have compared 50 random female EdTs and 50 random male EdTs off the same website and when I did that there was 17% difference in price, so it's clearly there on mainstream scents as well as Guerlain, Tom Ford etc.

It also won't put me off buying scent, but I was just interested in finding out if there really is a good reason, rather than because the companies just think it's a better way to make profit.

Thanks everybody- your responses have confirmed that it's not because ladies' scent is inherently a more expensive thing to produce.

Basenotes Plus

Women, naturally, smell worse than men so they need higher concentrations.

But seriously, I think another point that could be considered besides the ones previously discussed here is that women would be more "loyal" (speaking in general terms, not the ladies from BN, obviously) to one perfume that they love whereas men have that whole search for the "lady-killer" fragrance complex thing, so the prices have to be more competitive to catch their attention.

The same reason why women shoes are more expensive than men . Cause they are impulsive buyers (hope not to get lots of hate for this)

I must not be female then, cos I've got 8 pairs of shoes and one handbag.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'