Code of Conduct

Default Avignon vs Sahara Noir: the censer swings...

I find these two scents to be very, very similar, in spite of their strikingly different pyramids. They are both perfectly linear expressions of frankincense as it is used in the Greek Orthodox mass. I love them both for that reason: though I've been an atheist for most of my life I was taken to Greek services a lot as a child and the smell of this specific incense brings back all sorts of pleasant memories.

The difference between them seems, to me at least, mostly to be about volume. Sahara Noir is very, very loud, and Avignon is subtle. SN is like the smoke from the censer, whereas Avignon is like opening the container of incense in the vestry. SN has a little more warmth from a hint of beeswax, while Avignon is sharper. It has the citric tang of unburnt olibanum, and something that suggests coolness - perhaps the elemi? On my skin they both stay almost perfectly linear, both warming slightly, tantalising with a Byzantine promise of amber that never quite resolves.

I would, bizarrely, probably buy them both, for different moods. SN is a public scent, Avignon more private. If I could find a scent that pulls off almost holographic recreation of an Orthodox service but manages to progress beyond the doors of the church, I'd be in (Orthodox) heaven.

Default Re: Avignon vs Sahara Noir: the censer swings...

Two wonderful scents. You've described the scents themselves, and their differences perfectly. My preference is for Sahahra Noir, as I find Avignon just a bit too straightforward.

There is also Norma Kamali's Incense, which is similar to SN, but much stronger, and just plain better.

I was also raised orthodox and used to attend church weekly when I was young. Now I only attend if there is a close friend's wedding etc..

Anyway, i can tell you that Sahara noir is a perfect rendition of that olibanum incense. You nailed the description. And I agree about the beeswax. It's definitely there and I love how it gives the scent an extra dimension.

By the way, the dry down of Sahara Noir is absolutely beautiful.

The thing about Sahara noir is that it never gets cold or sharp. The incense stays smooth. Every time I wear it, I wait for the moment when the incense will get sharp, and it doesn't, and I love that.

As you can see, I am a huge fan of this scent. OK, I'll shut the f*** up now.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

OdilonRedon, thank you so much for your post. I am really looking forward to trying this one out: in my quest for the ultimate (Orthodox) incense, I stumbled on Avignon and hated it. I eventually ended up with a full bottle of Epic Man by Amouage and have bathed in more than half of it over the last 12months. You can read about my journey here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/303...-(imagination)

I am so totally going to get Sahara Noir if it fits the bill. Does the fragrance progress throughout or is it fairly linear?

I am a bit mad for orientals these days - so anything sandalwood and incense excites me basically!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    OdilonRedon, thank you so much for your post. I am really looking forward to trying this one out: in my quest for the ultimate (Orthodox) incense, I stumbled on Avignon and hated it. I eventually ended up with a full bottle of Epic Man by Amouage and have bathed in more than half of it over the last 12months. You can read about my journey here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/303...-(imagination)

I am so totally going to get Sahara Noir if it fits the bill. Does the fragrance progress throughout or is it fairly linear?

I am a bit mad for orientals these days - so anything sandalwood and incense excites me basically!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SN is definitely linear, though as tdwctdwc says, the drydown is lovely: very subtle, really just an increase in warmth. There's a touch of vanilla, and the beeswax shades into dark honey, but the frankincense doesn't go anywhere. Avignon - which I've got on at the moment - has a slight sourness and an orange peel note up front which SN doesn't have.

I'll have to give Epic a go, and the Kamali.

Love the OPs description of Avignon which I find to be spot on. A wonderful scent.
    (1084)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Have not had the chacne to sample Avingon,

I like Sahar Noir, and I am considering a full bottle

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SN is definitely linear, though as tdwctdwc says, the drydown is lovely: very subtle, really just an increase in warmth. There's a touch of vanilla, and the beeswax shades into dark honey, but the frankincense doesn't go anywhere. Avignon - which I've got on at the moment - has a slight sourness and an orange peel note up front which SN doesn't have.

I'll have to give Epic a go, and the Kamali.
    I really liked the beeswax note in Antaeus which IMHO has now been totally spoilt. So it will be interesting to see the take of this note in this fragrance. Avignon to my nose was just too synthetic and came across as a medicine cabinet smell. Couldn't take it for much longer so it was a scrubber for me.

When trying out Epic, I would advise that you don't buy the marketing blurb about the oud in it and so on. I get much more frankincense with this one along with other under-rated Middle Eastern notes like cumin, cardamom, saffron, mace, myrrh and so on. It's highly exotic and very complex indeed. The oud (to my nose) merely plays a 'binding' role that holds everything together.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Sahara Noir is a classic example of where a fragrance must be enjoyed simply as a scent in a lab tube: the packaging and bottle both look great and are clearly aimed at women, but if it is being enjoyed by men alike, I see no reason for the marketing strategy behind it.

At parfumo I wrote a review about SN, also comparing with Avignon. Unfortunately in german also. I think of them as very different styles of incense. Avignon is rather the cold incense smell that you get in church after mass.'while SN is much warmer, more like still glimming and also got some resinous quality in the sense of fir tree resin or something. And yes, indeed, I get the similarity with Kamali. Very mild, wearable version of Kamali.

Managed to sample Sahara Noir at the weekend and I agree it is very much pure frankincense. Now I can truly appreciate what this scent is. I am 100% certain that I prefer it mixed with other ingredients, but for anyone looking for a [frank]incense scent, look no further than SN.

I have to say it is far from "Greek Orthodox" church incense as they usually come in different 'flavours' (rose, cypress, etc), but definitely how I see frankincense as told and recommended by others on these boards.

I have to say it is far from "Greek Orthodox" church incense as they usually come in different 'flavours' (rose, cypress, etc), but definitely how I see frankincense as told and recommended by others on these boards.
    That's interesting. My experience of the Orthodox Church is mainly through the Greek cathedral in London, and small island churches. SN catches the Moscow Road cathedral vibe (as it was in the past, anyway) perfectly.

I have to say it is far from "Greek Orthodox" church incense as they usually come in different 'flavours' (rose, cypress, etc)
    That depends. Some orthodox churches still use that straight Frankincense without any added "flavors".

Btw, SN does have cypress and i do detect it in the first hour.

Glad you enjoyed it.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    That's interesting. My experience of the Orthodox Church is mainly through the Greek cathedral in London, and small island churches. SN catches the Moscow Road cathedral vibe (as it was in the past, anyway) perfectly.
    Hmmm.... interesting. Got to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    That depends. Some orthodox churches still use that straight Frankincense without any added "flavors".

Btw, SN does have cypress and i do detect it in the first hour.

Glad you enjoyed it.
    I'll probably have to revisit it then as my skin sometimes 'drinks' top notes... I am a fan of cypress!

Interesting points here, but personally I do find Avignon and Sahara Noir to be quite different. They're of the same genre, have a similarly calming effect, but the similarity ends there for me. Now, put Bois d'Encens up against Avignon and you've got some parallels.

And yes, Norma Kamali, while different to both of these, is pretty much the holy grail (pun intended).

Hedonist should chime in here, he's the expert. He said SN perfectly replicates the smell of smoked frankincense. Avignon is also primarily a frankincense, but it likely has more stuff in it, bringing it closer to the regular incenses used in catholic churches.

cacio

I can see why people like Avignon, although it's a little too cold and stark for me to wear...but I understand the love. Just not getting the hype train for Sahara Noir though, it's far too heavy, extremely loud and obnoxiously rich...I didn't find there was much else to SN, just an absolute Frankincense blast. Not sure if there was any more complexity as I only wore this for 2 hours before scrubbing. In the same vein as Tobacco Vanille, the stuff would make a wonderful candle. But, not something I want to wear.

Sahara Noir & Bois d'Encens are pure frankincense whereas Avignon has frankincense in it but along with a lot of other notes.

Sahara Noir is more intense than Bois d'Encens. Otherwise they're the same.

We fumigate frankincense almost everyday here.

This is what it looks like while fumigating.
    Over here I'd just blown on it to get it to fumigate (as opposed burning).

Last edited by hedonist222; 28th December 2013 at 04:21 PM.

for swap/sale:

I do not know what it is called, but that cauldren you pictured with the frankencense fumigating is truly a beautiful object.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

Thanks Akahina.

This is a modern looking burner.

Traditionally they look like this:

for swap/sale: