Code of Conduct

Cool If you had to be a one-cologne guy, which one? In other words;what is your most versatile fragrance

I recently bought some Dior Homme and wondered, surveying my collecion; if you had to have one frag for all occasions, what would that frag be?

In my case; I'd go Bleu de Chanel; it has detractors, but that fragrance goes anywhere!

Default Re: If you had to be a one-cologne guy, which one? In other words;what is your most versatile fragra

Dior Homme Intense

Default Re: If you had to be a one-cologne guy, which one? In other words;what is your most versatile fragra

Rive Gauche or Monsieur de Givenchy.

Gengis Khan

Since I'm on an Amouage kick at the moment I'll go with Epic Man.

Paco Rabanne XS.

Mugler or Rive Gauche.

GIT any other answer is wrong. End of thread.

Clive Christian X for Men
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

aramis bermuda tonic

Probably Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo

Basenotes Member

YSL L'homme - not really something, but instead, can be anything...

Tam Dao

Dior Homme

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Midnight In Paris, EDP.

Egoiste
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Bulgari Green Tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I disagree about the any other answer is wrong part, but that's my pick as well
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Member

Prada Luna Rossa. Not my absolute favorite in my collection, but probably the most versatile. I cannot open think of an occasion that I could not pull off in this.

Guerlain Héritage
    Smelling good on a budget!

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - anytime, anywhere...a true classic.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Without question, +1.

Basenotes Member

have to go with a fougere to be successful year round
    saying that
    amouage memoir man
    histoires des parfums 1725
    amouage reflection man
    montale fougeres marine

out of those
    i feel reflection man has highest versatility/complexity ratio so I'd stick with that

Git

Probably GIT.

Z-14 but WITH oakmoss!

Live Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Dior Homme Intense
    +1 There can be only one!

bottled boss - the normal version, not the night.

Guerlainista

And yet it's not in your top 10?

Habit Rouge for me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chanel EdC for me. I have dozens of fragrances that are versatile, but it's not the point. I would pick something that is never tiring or too much. I really can't see getting sick of this.

Hmm I would agree that something with a fougere type structure might be most conventionally versatile, so from what I have, maybe Platinum Egoiste? Also I never find my Bulgari Pour Homme inappropriate. Having said that, the frag that is most likely my favorite, I still feel I could wear wherever I like and that would be Nicolai Pour Homme.

Basenotes Plus

Patou Pour Homme.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Bois du Portugal
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Guerlain Héritage
    ...this [EDT/EDP]...!

Égoïste! To hell with versatility, I love the stuff and will never be without it.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

From my own collection, I'd choose Franck Olivier's Sun Java due to it's versatility in weather and the overall tameness of the actual scent. It has the subtle sweetness of watermelon and vanilla, fresh notes of several citruses and a nice mintiness, and just slightly woodsy. Longevity is good enough to last a work day, yet its projection is a good balance between office scent and night on the town.

From others I have tried, YSL's L'Homme suits all these needs quite nicely and is such a lovely fragrance that has garnered many a compliment from my sampling wearings. It's very high on my list of scents to purchase in the upcoming months. I'll also agree that GIT has fantastic versatility, and can hold its own against many other fragrances. To me, though, it's far too safe a fragrance, and for that I wouldn't wear it as my one and only. Another Creed that would suit my needs as a sole fragrance is Original Vetiver. There's something about the fruitiness of it combined with one of the cleanest vetivers I've had the pleasure of smelling that has had me going since I first tried it on. I've found that it also goes quite well with my skin, and the mild Florida winters make it worthy of year-round wear in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it (stick with just one), but if I had to, then I'd probably go with Givenchy Gentleman.

Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, my ever timeless nostalgic scent...

I'm down with GIT, yeah you know me

My signature, my love, my most complimented scent, and only one that I can trully call Me In The Bottle - Gucci Pour Homme II
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Dior Homme Intense, absolutely no hesitation whatsoever. It's the most etherial, gorgeous scent I've ever smelled, male or female.

Basenotes Member

It'd have to be GIT for me. I try to reserve it for special occasions and always makes me feel great.

As already mentioned by me on a few more or less similar threads: Armani Eau pour Homme.

Another vote for vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...this [EDT/EDP]...!
    another vote for heritage here....

I find GIT the most versatile, wear-anywhere-on-any-occasion cologne ever made.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Voyage D'Hermes. Great in both hot and cold weather, and works well for both casual and formal settings!

Eau Sauvage.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Creed Himalaya

For me, Terre d'Hermes.

Believe it or not, Curve. Curve is what I used to wear before starting on my fragrance journey. I owned a 6.7 oz bottle and wore it every day for years. Curve is one of the most underrated and misunderstood scents ever, partly due to Claiborne targeting teens with it, which makes no sense. Teens aren't looking for mossy scents! Curve isn't one of my favorites, but it gets me more compliments than anything else I own, including Aventus, GphII, Eau des Baux, LDDM, etc. And it's extremely versatile.

My 2nd choice would probably be Gucci Pour Homme II, or perhaps Tom Ford For Men.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

If I had to be a one cologne guy I would choose Comme des Garcons 2 Man. However, my most versatile fragrance IMO is the underrated Burberry for Men in which I feel is very inoffensive, versatile and could be easily worn throughout the year.

I would have to say Aventus. Very versatile - maybe not the most versatile I have (Himalaya, Chez Bond, Spice & Wood, and a few others may be a little more so), but if I could have only one... I would have to choose Aventus.