Code of Conduct

Default Mugler Cologne - why can't I smell it!?

I've read the hype. Many times. With that in mind I've often taken myself off to a stockist in order to give it a sniff and, each time, I face the same disappointing result: I can barely smell it!

I get a bit of leafy fresh green citrus for a few seconds and then... it's pretty much gone! Admittedly, more often than not, I've sniffed it after sampling a number of other heavier frags, but I've never known a fragrance to register so low on my olfactory sense, no matter how many others I've sniffed previously.

Come to think of it - I have had the same issue before with Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules - that just smelled faintly of alcohol to me. Could they have an ingredient in common that I'm simply anosmic to?
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 3rd April 2013 at 02:17 AM.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Default Re: Mugler Cologne - why can't I smell it!?

It doesn't have the greatest longevity admittedly although on my skin it's OK.

It's that type of fragrance. Quiet and subdued.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 3rd April 2013 at 03:13 AM.

i do agree it is quiet and subdued however i get amazing longevity out of mugler colonge......literally last all day on me..probably because i over spray lol.....you should smell it for a couple hours......as far as i know most/all thierry mugler scents have great longevity

As others were saying, it's not the boldest of the frags, but one should smell it - a sort of steamy iron type of scent. Perhaps you are anosmic to the main material creating that effect. We are all anosmic to some material, this one could be one for you (together with Iso E for molecule 01. Indeed, there could be iso e also in the mugler, but there's something else as well).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by NYTID View Post
    i do agree it is quiet and subdued however i get amazing longevity out of mugler colonge......literally last all day on me..
    I agree with NYTID - three sprays (two to the chest and one between the wrists) lasts me 8 hours. I think it's quite strong, and projects comfortably for at least a foot for the entire life of it.

I can't smell Molecule 01 but I can definitely smell Mugler Cologne. That's not to say you're not anosmic to both, though.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    I can barely smell it!
    I have the same issue with Mugler.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others were saying, it's not the boldest of the frags, but one should smell it - a sort of steamy iron type of scent. Perhaps you are anosmic to the main material creating that effect. We are all anosmic to some material, this one could be one for you (together with Iso E for molecule 01. Indeed, there could be iso e also in the mugler, but there's something else as well).

cacio
    That was my suspicion. I need to sniff Molecule 01 again to test out the ISO super E theory (my nose was VERY fatigued by the time I got to that one). I think I need to sample Mugler again with a fresh nose and go for a decent skin application too - most of my sniffing has been on cards up to now.

I'd hate to think I had selective anosmia!

I don't know what the deal with Mugler Cologne is, but I have a pretty good sense of smell and sometimes I have a hard time smelling it.

The first reason is probably that, for whatever reason, habituation happens pretty quick with Mugler Cologne.

The second, I'm assuming, is just the molecules used in it. Some days I can smell it loud and clear, it smells like a green and musky alien plant that was disinfected with steam and friendly futuristic chemicals. Other days all I smell is white musk. I guess some of us just smell it better than others.

What I'm really trying to say though, is that you're not alone

Everybody has selective anosmia - this has been proved by scientific research too. They subjected people to many smells, and found that, save for a few molecules like citruses (if I remember correctly), for every material, there were at least a few people who couldn't smell it much. And also, everybody had different anosmias.

This happens most frequently with musks. This can lead to funny outcomes, for instance, I know a few people who found vintage Kouros, or even Oud 27, clean and soapy (!!!).

cacio

Don't go by the smells on a card, that never works very well. If you want to know what Mugler Cologne smells like, go to your local store and spray it on your wrist. Never rub your wrists together. Give it a few seconds to blend into your skin.

To me (and another BN'er) Mugler Cologne smells 100% exactly like a soap that was called Cashmere Bouquet. We had this hand soap all the time at home and it was identical.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    I don't know what the deal with Mugler Cologne is, but I have a pretty good sense of smell and sometimes I have a hard time smelling it.

The first reason is probably that, for whatever reason, habituation happens pretty quick with Mugler Cologne.

The second, I'm assuming, is just the molecules used in it. Some days I can smell it loud and clear, it smells like a green and musky alien plant that was disinfected with steam and friendly futuristic chemicals. Other days all I smell is white musk. I guess some of us just smell it better than others.

What I'm really trying to say though, is that you're not alone
    Good to know! I particularly enjoyed your description of MG - that kinda sums up what I smell too. Faintly. For about fifteen seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Everybody has selective anosmia - this has been proved by scientific research too. They subjected people to many smells, and found that, save for a few molecules like citruses (if I remember correctly), for every material, there were at least a few people who couldn't smell it much. And also, everybody had different anosmias.

This happens most frequently with musks. This can lead to funny outcomes, for instance, I know a few people who found vintage Kouros, or even Oud 27, clean and soapy (!!!).

cacio
    That's really interesting stuff, quite a bit of new info for me there! Maybe that goes some way to explain why I can't smell what all the damn Aventus hype is about!

(I know, for a minute there I thought we were actually going to achieve a thread where no-one mentioned the 'A' word too...)

It is subtle on me, though I got reasonable longevity out of it the few times I've worn it.
    On the other hand, I find it quite pronounced when my wife wears it.
    Regards,
    Renato

As others have suggested, you probably can't smell some of the musk which is a big part of this scents smell. Not unusual; many people, including myself, can't smell Galaxolide, for instance.

Its not strongest smell but does last more than 6 hours (in winter, have not tried it in summer) on my skin which is good for a summer fragrance. Its only fragrance on my wishlist right now because it is so easy to wear and hard to dislike.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Mugler Cologne is kind of bizarre. I like the smell when I apply it, but it disappears quickly to my nose -- within an hour or so. But then out of the blue people tell me I smell great, long after I thought it was gone. It's the only cologne that I experience this issue with.

Try Creed Original Vetiver if you like Mugler. To me they smell very similar (I like OV a shade more), and I don't have this problem with OV.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I received a small sample spray of this with a recent Mugler order and I sprayed the whole lot on before going out. After an hour I couldn't smell any trace of it! I like the smell - I get the whole 'futuristic green' vibe - very fresh and clean. Just can't get it to last which is odd for me as Guerlain Eau du Coq lasts a good half a day on me...!

It is not only citrus. I smell melons in it too. Average longevity.

Never had the problem mentioned in the thread staring post, however, far more often and likely (at least in my case) with its longevity.

When I had it I had to use unscented soap if it was going to be my SOTD. I was using a body gel and it was actually stronger than Mugler's cologne. You basically have to douse yourself in this. That's why I prefer the splash version.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

try this one, (untitled) Maison Martin Margiela perfume

i get that odd green fresh smell

I had to use unscented soap if it was going to be my SOTD. I was using a body gel and it was actually stronger than Mugler's cologne. You basically have to douse yourself in this. That's why I prefer the splash version.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I had to use unscented soap if it was going to be my SOTD. I was using a body gel and it was actually stronger than Mugler's cologne. You basically have to douse yourself in this. That's why I prefer the splash version.
    I think the Mugler bottles are all splash -- they have a sprayer attachment included in the package, but once you attach it there's no cap (the cap fits the bottle, not the top of the sprayer). At least, that's how the bottles I've bought have been packaged.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I think the Mugler bottles are all splash -- they have a sprayer attachment included in the package, but once you attach it there's no cap (the cap fits the bottle, not the top of the sprayer). At least, that's how the bottles I've bought have been packaged.
    I had a 2.5 oz splash and a 3.4 oz spray. Never thought to try to unscrew it. Lol..But I bought it used. I have 2 bottles that have the sprayer attachment that can be remove, but they're too strong for splash application. One is CK One Shock and the other is Aqua Fahrenheit.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Consider yourself lucky.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I had a 2.5 oz splash and a 3.4 oz spray. Never thought to try to unscrew it. Lol..But I bought it used. I have 2 bottles that have the sprayer attachment that can be remove, but they're too strong for splash application. One is CK One Shock and the other is Aqua Fahrenheit.
    Just pulled mine out to check. Looks like I have the 4.1 ounce size. Interestingly enough, the box says on the front it's a "spray and splash" and "rechargeable refillable." Guess that explains it for the 4.1 ounce version.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Try Creed Original Vetiver if you like Mugler. To me they smell very similar (I like OV a shade more), and I don't have this problem with OV.
    Yep, I would suggest the same. Original Vetiver smells very similar to MC, but it's less sweet and lasts much longer. I prefer OV.

I put some on my wrist an hour an ago and can barely smell it now.

Its a great light fragrance when its the absolute peak of summer/flaming June
    Top 5:

1. Chanel - Platinum Egoiste
    2. Creed - Millesime Imperial
    3. Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    4. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    5. Bond No. 9 - Signature

Duplicate post.

I have to spray many times to get some effect. People around me usually detect the smell of it more than me. I don´t care much for mugler cologne, the dry down is so neutral, like a faint cedar.

If MC lasted more than the 2 or 3 hours it does on my skin, I would def wear it more often. As it is, since I need a work fragrance (it's great for work if only it lasted!) to last at least 6 hours minimum, MC although very nice, just doesn't cut it for me.

I'm resurrecting this old thread with an update. Having stumbled across a discounted bottle of MC in a department store recently, I impulse bought it in the vain hope that I could teach myself to smell it. Well, the gamble paid off! I can now detect it very easily after spraying and for hours afterwards! I don't know what happened but I'm glad it did because I'm a big fan now and have just bought the hair and body wash to match.

It was also on offer.

I have no problem at all smelling it. I've tried samples (twice) and on a card (Pure Malt). I have a bottle of Pure Malt coming, and after the 2nd time trying A* Men I like it now, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    I have no problem at all smelling it. I've tried samples (twice) and on a card (Pure Malt). I have a bottle of Pure Malt coming, and after the 2nd time trying A* Men I like it now, lol
    OP maybe meant Mugler Cologne, the fragrance, not Mugler fragrances in general or whatever.

Look up Mugler Cologne.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    ... Having stumbled across a discounted bottle of MC in a department store recently, I impulse bought it in the vain hope that I could teach myself to smell it. Well, the gamble paid off! I can now detect it very easily after spraying and for hours afterwards!
    It's one of those weird scents, which one can easily fall anosmic to, especially in the summer.

The musk behind it just starts to play tricks on you, if you start to wear it regularly. Wear something else for a few days when this happens, and come back to it anew. Don't fall into a trap of over-spraying, it's projection is quite present with just a couple of shots.

I've also suggested in another thread, that those who really like this scent should look out for the original wide bottle, which IMHO has a higher concentration of musk. This probably coincided when they slashed the price-point of this fragrance a few years ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is a good scent..
    Nice for warm weather..
    Fresh Clean Lime