Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversee Du Bosphore - to blind buy?

I'm having a crisis. I've tried a number of L'Artisan fragrances and really liked the majority of them, especially the more oriental, spicy ones such as Safran Troublant and Al Oudh.

I'd love to own a L'Artisan but they've always been a tad out of my price range. The thing is, I have the opportunity to purchase Traversee Du Bosphore at a VERY reasonable price and am considering buying it blind based on the notes. This is not something I'd normally entertain, but I really can't think of a way to sample it beforehand - I live nowhere near a stockist and can't find anyone online selling samples. On top of that, I'm worried that if I wait too long, the price will go up or the stockist will sell out.

Has anyone tried it or know of somewhere I might be able to obtain a sample? Some of the reviews talk of criminally poor longevity too - can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

(I should add that the stockist will actually allow me to return it if I don't like it for a full refund, minus the original P&P and the cost of returning the fragrance, but I don't really want to go down that route if I don't have to.)
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 3rd April 2013 at 04:40 AM.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Default Re: L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversee Du Bosphore - to blind buy?

A great scent. IMO Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A great scent. IMO Yes.
    Any longevity problems for you? It's not too sweet as to be totally 'un-masculine' then?

turkish delight is very popular where i originate from.... this is too foody for me. if you are not so used and familiar with it, it may appeal to you... but i don't like smelling like this, the note is the central one here.

- - - Updated - - -

it does not smell 'un-masculine' otherwise. which gourmand smells towards certain sex... i am very sensitive on these things, so i believe in this sense it would be safe.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Basenotes Plus

I'd advise against it. I love turkish delight, but this is not something I'd want to wear (perhaps if it smelled more like the turkish delight one finds at Fortnum and Mason).

That said, I've only smelled it on paper.

I love Turkish delight: I've visited Turkey and eaten the real stuff - Lokum - there too. I'm struggling to picture how that might work on my skin, but I do enjoy the rose note that one tends to associate with the stuff. How does the saffron come across? I LOVE Safran Troublant - are there any similarities there?

Blog Entries

My sister and I blind bought one for $50. I have no problem with longevity and it has moderate sillage (I can smell it in wafts from her when she walks 3 feet ahead of me).
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    My sister and I blind bought one for $50. I have no problem with longevity and it has moderate sillage (I can smell it in wafts from her when she walks 3 feet ahead of me).
    Happy 100th post! Thanks for your insight - could you picture it on a man quite happily too?

Sampled it a few days ago (and have a sample at home that I've been trying out every now and then) and just bought a 50ml off a basenote member. I personally don't think it's a day-to-day (signature) scent, which is why I'm fine having a 50ml rather than the 100ml, rather I think you have to be in the 'mood' for this one. I'm ambivalent about the opening but the dry down (beginning a half hour to an hour after initial application) I really enjoy. I'd say moderate longevity and sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Sampled it a few days ago (and have a sample at home that I've been trying out every now and then) and just bought a 50ml off a basenote member. I personally don't think it's a day-to-day (signature) scent, which is why I'm fine having a 50ml rather than the 100ml, rather I think you have to be in the 'mood' for this one. I'm ambivalent about the opening but the dry down (beginning a half hour to an hour after initial application) I really enjoy. I'd say moderate longevity and sillage.
    Some of my favourites scents are those that people proclaim having to 'be in the mood for'. I'm really into big, heavy, spicy orientals - especially when they're dark and oudy (I know I can't really expect much of that last part from Traversee) so, based on that, am I perhaps in for some disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Some of my favourites scents are those that people proclaim having to 'be in the mood for'. I'm really into big, heavy, spicy orientals - especially when they're dark and oudy (I know I can't really expect much of that last part from Traversee) so, based on that, am I perhaps in for some disappointment?
    It's a possibility. I saw a reviewer on youtube who was in love with it but when I sampled it I wasn't that impressed. I like it for what it is, but I can't say it's anything dramatic. It's different and original. In terms of 'oriental' it is not the 'spicy' kind, and it's definitely not 'big' or 'heavy'.

Ok, mind made up. I've decided to order it and take advantage of the more than generous returns policy for a full refund if I don't like it. Thanks for all the input, folks: I don't think I can live with the turmoil of wondering whether or not I'd passed up on owning what could have turned out to be my favourite fragrance of all time, and for such a good price.

I'll report back with my findings.

Or possibly a listing in the 'Items for Sale' forum

I bought a small bottle and regret it. I never wear it. I find it far too sweet and cloying, like candied flowers rosewater and honey. This is nothing like a dark oriental - it's a pure confection.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, very sweet and sugary. A lot of iris and vanilla and honey - not nearly enough apple/leather/smoke, imo.

That said, I do hope you like it! I know some *really* love it - hopefully you will too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The first few seconds of it are really nice to me, then it dries quickly into a boring soapy floral scent mostly. The pistachio note is done so well though, it's a shame it gets blocked by all the boring floral notes, I wish they put it center stage. It's definitley a nice scent though, just note for me. I'm not a big floral fan, and to me all the great notes are hidden under it. Definitley a scent that sits closer to the skin too, longevity is stellar.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Hi voodoodanny. I really like it. Traversee de Bosphore is a great Iris and Leather with a lovely Saffron note, also sweet almond and of course roses and vanilla. Iris/Leather/Turkish Delight/Vanilla. Very interesting. A nice one for the collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Happy 100th post! Thanks for your insight - could you picture it on a man quite happily too?
    Thanks voodoodanny! I can see a man being happy with it. It starts off powdery and it's a sweet scent. It dries down spicy and it's really nice. Definitely an oriental, but not 'big' and 'dark'.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I can see a man being happy with it.
    +1 this one is pretty gender-flexible.

Sounds like you couldn't go wrong, what with the returns policy. Let us know how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Sounds like you couldn't go wrong, what with the returns policy. Let us know how you like it.
    I certainly will. Now that I've secured my bottle, I'm happy to share my secret - the 50ml EDP can be picked up on QVC's UK website for £39.96 at the moment. There were around 20 left when I ordered mine yesterday: http://tinyurl.com/cm7w9zj

Basenotes Plus

jealous- British QVC has L'artisan
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

For those of you who may be interested, it arrived yesterday and I am currently in the process of falling in love with it. I'm particularly fond of the drier, leathery iris in the top notes. It does become a little creamier and more sugary in the later stages but I'm not totally averse to that. The pistachio Turkish delight notes are prominent and very gourmand - delicious. For what I paid for this, I'm pretty sure it's a keeper - it's also very different to anything else I own. I just wish it projected a little better as it does seem rather soft in that respect. 8/10.

Glad you like it VD. Tbh, I have tried a lot of L'Artisans, and none have worked for me.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

You might be able to order a sample online at surrendertochance or luckyscent, but I have often been burnt buying something I didn't sample on my skin.