Code of Conduct

Question Suggestions/Authors Needed For Blog Post About Homemade Fragrances

Hey Guys!

I am thinking about writing a blog post about Homemade cologne and aftershave, but I have very limited experience in the field. Do you guys have any good recipes or perhaps want to do a guest post for my blog?

The recipe I had in mind was for a summer fragrance using essential oils and distilled water. The oils I want to use are Patchouli, Orange and Lemon. Anyone know if they are a good combination?

Any help you can give me at all would be much appreciated!

If anyone would like to do a guest post for my blog please fill out the contact form here: http://naturallymetrosexual.co.uk/corporate-contact/

To the moderator:- I'm not sure if this is in the right area if not please move it
    www.NaturallyMetrosexual.co.uk - The Mens Lifestyle Blog That Likes To Wear Body Butter

Default Re: Suggestions/Authors Needed For Blog Post About Homemade Fragrances

So, now you have moved to the right area; what you want is not possible as Patchouli, Orange and Lemon Oils are not soluble in water. Look on the stickies to help you get going. Assuming, of course, that you want to do the work yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Last edited by lpp; 4th April 2013 at 03:02 AM.

With such limited experience, what kind of article will it be? What topics do you want to cover? Or is it a simple "make your own ___" piece with a list of ingredients and throw them all in and voila! Instant gratification?

For starters, mixing oils and water will require an emulsifier. Unless you just want to shake it up everytime you use it and have it look murky, cloudy and ugly in the bottle. You may also need a preservative and the right amount of dilution can be important. There are other bases to consider instead of water, such as oils, alcohol and hydrosols. And you don't have to spray, there's solid which is easy.
    Patchouli, orange and lemon aren't bad ingredients to throw together, provided they're in complimentary quantities.
    The best way to write an informed piece, is to inform yourself. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, just let your fingers do the walking

So, Probably NOT EO's and water, that dog won't hunt.

EO's and Alcohol, and a TINY bit of water will work, and you could sub out some of the alcohol with some DPG, or maybe a slight amount of Cyclomethicone too. This is all about the carriers of the fragrance materials.

For the actual fragrance elements,... colognes, as a class of fragrances, maybe written as Colognes, are a classic fragrance type. For EO's, you could consider things like Rosemary, Coriander, Lavender, Sage, Artemsia's - etc, blended with some, *some* citrus EO's, backed up with some citrus synths, and then some cedar, or a blend of cedars, and some other woods, a bit of Hedione for a floral side and longevity.

And there's a basic structure for a Cologne, of sorts... But since you are the perfumer, you'll have to conduct your own experiments and trials, to perfect your formulation. And please, ***PLEASE*** don't call it a "recipe", use the word, "Formula".
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I could do you a guest post if you like.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.