Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Gold Man Blind Buy

Sorry for another Amouage thread.

I just blind bought Amouage Gold Man for a pretty good price. I've never smelt this. What should I expect when I get it? From all the reviews I've read its pretty polarizing.

I do like Amouage Ciel Man, Interlude Man, Tribute Attar and Epic Man. Probably going to purchase Interlude Man in the next week or two.

Thanks

Default Re: Amouage Gold Man Blind Buy

You're brave, lolz. Keep your expectations low for this one.

You will love it.

It's awesome but completely different from the others you mention. It's the best that I've tried from Amouage but I can see why some wouldn't like it. It's an incredibly rich, floral, heavy, projection beast.

This smells grand and expensive.

Gold Man is about the only one I find questionable. I have had a sample for years and still not sure I would wear it. Just not my kind of thing, extremely floral. Think baby powder + floral.

Gold man is my favorite Amouage, and I love it. It is an enormous, rich floral. Think the power of Tribute, but with a floral-incense-resinous structure. And by flowers I don't mean the rose of Epic, but a big bouquet of narcotic flowers, from jasmine to tuberose to rose to what else.

But, as you state, it is a polarizing frag. Many people are turned off by florals for men; also, it has (or at least my version had) plenty of dirty animalics like civet, which again turns some people off.

cacio

Baby powder intensed like 10 times plus a very rich floral note... i keep thinking of the lion character from the wizard of oz for some odd reason when i think of amouage gold?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Baby powder intensed like 10 times plus a very rich floral note... i keep thinking of the lion character from the wizard of oz for some odd reason when i think of amouage gold?

Right

Might depend if it's recent or old stock, if the female one is anything 2 go by - compliance & all that.

I sampled the amouage line and gave them all full wearings on different occasions.

I bought Amouage Gold Man after that challenging journey. It doesn't mean that it's the best from that line but it's the only one IMO that is worth the money as it is that rich and powerfull.

I love it. If you like Boucheron Homme Jaipür EDP then this one should be your taste too.

I don't find it to be a good idea - just from my own experience. Just like someone above, I have a sample for about 4 years, once one a quarter-year I spray it on my wrist, just to see if I've changed or the juice did so. Never any of us

Floral and rich, total opposite from other amouage line. If you like jubilation and epic you will love interlude.

It's a bold blind buy, to be sure.
    The opening blast is the most acrid I've ever smelled - it quite literally causes a burning sensation in my throat.
    Even though I consider myself to be a big fan of floral, powdery and animalic fragrances, Gold Man just smells too powdery and floral for my liking.
    TLS is right in saying that it's an opulent and deep fragrance, but it just smells awful to me.

But hey, when we blind buy we often force ourselves into liking the fragrance at first instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Agreed ;-)

Basenotes Plus

The stankiest rose imaginable. It smelled almost rotten to me.

Agree.

Uh oh. You done goofed my good sir.

You'll love it.

Its so complex and energizing & everything Cacio said.

for swap/sale:

The worst blind buy EVER. Brace yourself.

My bottle of it should arrive in a few days. Based on everyone's opinion it sure seems like a love it or hate it no middle ground.

I was so not impressed by this. Johnson's Baby Shampoo with a little baby powder is what I got from it. I was expecting something far different than what I received.

If V Putin wears this then good for him but If I was his stylist I would have advised him against it.

I was hoping for an opulent ANNUCI when I read that it was a heavy hitting floral but that was not the case.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 5th April 2013 at 02:55 AM.

Hey

What is "good price"?

Exactly!

My advise to u is dont through it at the first sniff
    Because that what I did and i regret it later.
    A truely amazing scent
    But you need to be patient to understand it
    and later appreciate it.
    Dont over spray though

I strongly against buying blind Gold Man. The drydown is very very bad, I mean it stink, imagine you do not brush your teeth for a week then you spit on you hand. The smell of that dry split is Gold Man. The opening is powdery/floral/soft but the drydown is extremely ugly. The worst I've ever smelled

I love to blind buy. But when it is such an expensive fragrance, so old, and so strong, I simply cannot bring myself to do it. If it were considered a classic like Shalimar, I would risk blind buying it. But it is not.

I am trying to get a sample of it. Someday I will try it and will decide.

IMHO Gold is a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Hey

What is "good price"?
    About $160 shipped for a 100ml.

That is impressive. Might I ask from where?

It's in my top ten for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    That is impressive. Might I ask from where?
    Fragrancenet. They only put one up for sale with a few other Amouages.

This is for only the brave, i respect and like it alot. Pure class and quality...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Gold Man looks like it should arrive today. I ordered a 100ml bottle of Interlude Man last night.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It is an enormous, rich floral. Think the power of Tribute, but with a floral-incense-resinous structure. And by flowers I don't mean the rose of Epic, but a big bouquet of narcotic flowers, from jasmine to tuberose to rose to what else.
    This...

Basenotes Member

Blind buying Gold Man is risky business. It was one of the fragrances I've been wanting to try out in my big sample pack that arrived yesterday.

My verdict: it smells very strong, anussy (animalic) and reminds me of a cheap shower gel i used to have long ago when i didnt know anything better. If it wouldnt have been an Amouage I'd thrown the sample into the bin.

But it might be a gem to you. Let's hope so.

I hope you enjoy gold man, because it took me many wears of my samples to understand gold man... pretend you are a Sultan living in a royal palace and you will comprehend gold man...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Gold Man looks like it should arrive today. I ordered a 100ml bottle of Interlude Man last night.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Did you end up enjoying your purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Did you end up enjoying your purchase?
    Package did not arrive yesterday but is showing on schedule for tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my bottle of Gold Man arrived today. Unfortunately I'm battling a sinus infection at the moment so my sense of smell is pretty much gone.

I did one spray to chest and one to my wrist. Mostly what I'm getting is a powdery smell maybe some frankincense can't really pick any notes out. From what I barely can smell of it I think I'm going to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Rev320; 8th April 2013 at 10:44 PM.

L
    Package did not arrive yesterday but is showing on schedule for tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my bottle of Gold Man arrived today. Unfortunately I'm battling a sinus infection at the moment so my sense of smell is pretty much gone.

I did one spray to chest and one to my wrist. Mostly what I'm getting is a powdery smell maybe some frankincense can't really pick any notes out. From what I barely can smell of it I think I'm going to enjoy it.
    You must have one hell of a sinus infection to not be able to smell GOLD ;-) I know you will enjoy it!

Take care!

TLS

I wore it again yesterday but still battling a sinus infection so my sense of smell is still very low. I'm mostly getting a powdery incense smell with the civet making itself more pronounced hours later.

Gold was my first Amouage and although my taste has changed a bit,
    I still wear it regularly and I don't find it powdery at all. You'll like it.
    ----------------------------------------
    My Favorites:
    1) Serge Lutens (EdP Ambre Sultan)
    2) Andy Tauer (Edt l'Aire du désert Marocain)
    3) Boadicea de Victorius (Complex & Provocative)
    4) Artisan Parfumeur (Tea for Two)
    5) Amouage (Edp Epic)
    6) Amouage (EdP Interlude)
    7) Davidoff Classic (Edt Classic) - vintage
    8) Lorenzo Villoresi (Edt Piper Nigrum)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amouage-Go...item1c31a84e19

5 minutes left to snipe a bargin. I wont risk a blind buy on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
    Gold was my first Amouage and although my taste has changed a bit,
    I still wear it regularly and I don't find it powdery at all. You'll like it.
    My smell still isn't back yet but I did enjoy it each time I tried. I think I'm going to purchase Amouage Silver today.

Glad to hear you like it (and that it's still good). I like Silver too, but remember that it is quite different. It is supposed to be a fresh, almost eau de cologne type of smell, except that it's based on rose, and has a strange, but interesting, metallic edge. And it lasts much more than a regular fresh eau de cologne.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Glad to hear you like it (and that it's still good). I like Silver too, but remember that it is quite different. It is supposed to be a fresh, almost eau de cologne type of smell, except that it's based on rose, and has a strange, but interesting, metallic edge. And it lasts much more than a regular fresh eau de cologne.

cacio
    I ordered a 100ml bottle of Silver today along with Interlude Man shipping today. Should also be receiving samples of the Opus line with my order.

Now I own Gold, Silver, Ciel, Epic, Interlude, and Tribute attar.

Banned

Curious to know how you like it now? Do you think it smells soapy?:-) .......and do you wear it regularly:-)

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Curious to know how you like it now? Do you think it smells soapy?:-) .......and do you wear it regularly:-)
    I've been really enjoying Gold Man. I mostly have been wearing it in the evenings. There's no soapiness that I'm picking up but there is definitely a powdery smell.

Glad I purchased it.

I've been really enjoying Gold Man. I mostly have been wearing it in the evenings. There's no soapiness that I'm picking up but there is definitely a powdery smell.

Glad I purchased it.
    It's a KING IMO! Glad you like it. It deserves some more love here on BN.

Good lord, I would NOT blind buy this. Only Amouage that I cannot stand. Possibly the worst fragrance i've ever smelt. Maybe tied with Kouros.

Smells like the cheap soap & cheap air freshener you find in a public toilet... While IN a public toilet. Couldn't wash it off my skin quickly enough.

I love Amouage Gold. Its a masterpiece to me.
    I love Civet and on my skin this is a Civet-Floral-Incense bomb.
    On other skins it does turns powdery, on mine though its musky Civet sandalwood.
    Its a scent which for some, will require a learning curve to be appreciated.

It also has 1930s and 40s rich man vibe. A loud yet introspective fragrance. It does quiet down after 2-3 hours.
    If you like Kouros, Jicky, Ungaro II, MKK, this is a great addition.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm really getting into florals, so I gotta try Gold. Love the Wizard of Oz lion reference. Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since purchasing Gold Man last year it has probably become my most worn Amouage. I wore it a lot during the summer and thought it worked great.

Amouage Gentlemen's EDT and Cologne are also great if you can find a bottle.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Since purchasing Gold Man last year it has probably become my most worn Amouage. I wore it a lot during the summer and thought it worked great.

Amouage Gentlemen's EDT and Cologne are also great if you can find a bottle.
    Great you were able to find it at that price Rev and have enjoyed it so much. Gold like Dia turns to powder on my skin so I it's not for me, but Amouage is by far my favorite house. Have you gotten into any of their other fragrances?
    Last edited by rouj; 22nd March 2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Great you were able to find it at such great price Rev and have enjoyed it so much. Gold like Dia turns to powder on my skin so I it's not for me, but Amouage is by far my favorite house. Have you gotten into any of their other fragrances?
    I own 19 fragrances from Amouage at the moment. Top three probably are Epic, Gold, and Tribute. My least favorite is Reflection.

Best place to sample is ParfumsRaffy. Official samples cost around $6.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV