Code of Conduct

Thread: Rose 31

Default Rose 31

I noticed there hasn't been much discussion on this scent in a while and i decided to revisit the decant i had and give it a full wearing to work today. I use to own the bottle but ended up selling it since it wasn't getting much use, but i really am enjoying it today and considering picking it back up. The longevity/projection have always been a bit spotty with me on this one, which is a concern of mine.

Do you guys still wear this frag and what type of feedback have you received from others. I had one comment from a co-worker that i smelled like a dentist's office...not sure what that means lol

- - - Updated - - -

Can a admin please move this to the Male Discussion section. Sorry about that

Default Re: Rose 31

Projection & sillage are stellar with this if you spray more than 1 spray.

Its very popular here. Its a rose but the added cedar , olubanum & vetiver give the rose a sharp finish and a huge dose of ISO E Super to round it off.

I don't see the dentist office reference. There is no clove nor is it reminiscent of cloves.

for swap/sale:

I know many people on this forum like this scent. Unfortunately I tried this and personally found it quite unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    There is no clove nor is it reminiscent of cloves.
    Although I don't pick up on it, clove is listed in the pyramid.

Grasse rose, cumin, pepper,
    clove, nutmeg, olibanum,
    cedar, amber, gaiac wood, oud, cistus, vetiver and animalic notes

In the opening I mostly get rose and cumin, lately I've been noticing the Oud in the drydown. Love it, great fragrance!

I was wearing it side by side (different hands to test) with Portrait of Lady and actually prefer the later as it is more spicy and masculine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I know many people on this forum like this scent. Unfortunately I tried this and personally found it quite unpleasant.
    I had the same experience. Found it too sharp and "prickly". I prefer the smoother, Lumiere Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I like Rose 31, but I prefer Labdanum 18, Patchouli 24, Iris 39 and Santal 33.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

This is one scent I am curious about.

One of the best Rose scents out there IMO, I do not have sillage and longevity issue with it. However, I find people might smells different things when they smell Rose 31. To my nose, the rose is very strong but some tells me they can only smell musk (we all smell/wear the juice from my bottle)

I do not get a lot of rose from this one to call it a "rose" fragrance, which is also OK for me because I wouldn't like that. Mosst is about slight florals, (cedar) heavy iso, and some musks. A gentle, elegant fragrance, wears like a cashmere sweater.

This is one of the few fragrances that got me compliments every time I wore it. Granted I only had a 2 ml sample, I got about 6 good wearings out of it, and got a compliment every time. Would probably buy a bottle if I had the money.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I like it but wear it rarely. OP, I would not buy it again if I were you because you will just end up not wearing it again. Or just buy a small decant, like 10ml.

Banned

this is not Rose at all......its amazing becasue the rose shows up at the begining, and fades away completely half way....thats why i think it appeals to men so much! if this was real rose scent men would not rave about it

to me it feels very synthetic and thin, its nicely balanced, its some oud smell, something airy, very longlasting, and good sillage, i learnt by now it points to synthetics.....
    and should be given credit becasue it works! giving phantasy of smelling Roses ...

i have heard many people comparing some clean medicinal oudhy smells to dentist office, so no wonder you got that compliment ...i like it too
    Last edited by iivanita; 4th April 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    this is not Rose at all......its amazing becasue the rose shows up at the begining, and fades away completely half way....thats why i think it appeals to men so much! if this was real rose scent men would not rave about it

to me it feels very synthetic and thin, its nicely balanced, its some oud smell, something airy, very longlasting, and good sillage, i learnt by now it points to synthetics.....
    and should be given credit becasue it works! giving phantasy of smelling Roses ...
    The rose lasts all the way to the end. At least in my experience.

I'm pretty sure the men who do not embrace rose are not targeted with this perfume and probably never ever got to even try it anyways.

for swap/sale:

Yes this scent used to be a basenotes favourite with much discussion at one point now you hardly hear it mentioned. I disliked it when it first came out, have got to like a bit better than I did but it comes across to synthetic for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Yes this scent used to be a basenotes favourite with much discussion at one point now you hardly hear it mentioned. I disliked it when it first came out, have got to like a bit better than I did but it comes across to synthetic for my tastes.
    I don't mention it anymore because we've discussed it. By we, I mean the perfumistas who weer active on BN at the time.
    We all bought it and wear it (check the SotD lol).

So the only time it'll come up again is if it can be recommended otherwise its history.

for swap/sale:

I go real light when doing the florals, even while at home, because that's just the way I like it. Following great bn recommendations made back when, Rose 31 is a favorite to wear on the core paired up with a dollup of oud oil spread about on the outer forearms and lower beard. Not for those that don't get along with cumin imo.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

It's a beautiful synthetic dark rose fragrance... i do like it though
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The rose lasts all the way to the end. At least in my experience.

I'm pretty sure the men who do not embrace rose are not targeted with this perfume and probably never ever got to even try it anyways.
    I have similar experience. The rose on me is front, center, stays all the way and smell really rosy. The rose in this one actually puts the rose in those "I have rose but it's well hidden" fragrances target to men like Lyric Man, No 88, Black Aoud, etc to shame

Basenotes Plus

This one's a beastly performer. I wore it for the first time last night (from a sample I got a couple of weeks ago), and made the mistake of applying three sprays. It was lovely but too much. I get the harshness others have commented upon, but I feel it was due to over-application.

That said, I think a decant should be enough. I would not wear it too often.

It was a rose day for me yesterday. Wore Voleur de Roses during the day (loved the rainfall-wet-earth feel of it, but it lacked a bit in the longevity department).

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    if this was real rose scent men would not rave about it
    Thanks for the sexism.

I like it a lot. My wife likes it more.

I bought 2 5ML testers of Rose 31 last year. I have very mixed feelings about this fragrance. One time I like it, the next, I'm scrubbing it off. Recently, I find myself doing the later.

There are synthetic fragrances that are done much better than this. All I smell is dirt and rose. Like a tractor came in and dumped moist, midwestern dark soil into the middle of a flower shop.

I love Rose 31. I have real problems with longevity of fragrance but Rose 31 lasts a good 12 hours, with the rose strong right through to the end. I get a very strong cumin scent initially, which some find quite offensive, but this settles down and adds to the general spiceiness. Couldnt be without this one.

I love this fragrance. Rose is an ethereal fragrance note, but can be very penetrating. I smell the rose here, incense too. There is an ethereal, smoky, elusive aspect to the blend of: rose / gaiac wood / iso e super. Cumin leaves noticeable stubble for a masculine feel.

My favorite rose fragrances are: Rose Nacree du Desert, Rose 31, Black Tie, Noir de Noir, Lumiere Noire PH, Lyric Man, Portrait of a Lady, Rose Anonyme, and Domenico Caraceni PH. I think these are all about equal in quality but there is room for many different uses of rose in fragrance.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 4th April 2013 at 05:54 PM.

I love it and longevity and projection are great for me.

I mostly reserve it for special occasions so I don't wear it very often. But whenever I wear it I enjoy it tremendously and often in the dry down stage wonder who/what smells so good before realizing it's me LOL.

I really did not know that it had rose untill
    a friend told me so. He even went on to say
    it has Jasmin, my most hated fragrance note!

I can not agree more with what hedonist said above.

A resemblance (not in terms of smell) is Laura Mercier Amber Passion Elixir
    It is amber but is so well balanced by geranium.

The more I hear about this one, the more I want to get a sample.

I love this fragrance, girls seem to love it more! A great compliment getter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I like it a lot. My wife likes it more.
    Yes, women really love it I have noticed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I noticed there hasn't been much discussion on this scent in a while and i decided to revisit the decant i had and give it a full wearing to work today. I use to own the bottle but ended up selling it since it wasn't getting much use, but i really am enjoying it today and considering picking it back up. The longevity/projection have always been a bit spotty with me on this one, which is a concern of mine.

Do you guys still wear this frag and what type of feedback have you received from others. I had one comment from a co-worker that i smelled like a dentist's office...not sure what that means lol

- - - Updated - - -

Can a admin please move this to the Male Discussion section. Sorry about that
    Your coworker is a moron, it does not smell remotely like a dental office lol. I recall, you had sent your bottle to Le Labo, because of longevity issues, what happened after???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post

It was a rose day for me yesterday. Wore Voleur de Roses during the day (loved the rainfall-wet-earth feel of it, but it lacked a bit in the longevity department).

Thanks for the sexism.

Lol, no problem

Not even that i think i mixed this up with Rosam, i was trying this on the same day as Rose 31......and remember Rose 31 was very light, hardly noticable, something spicy a bit, so longevity issue may be a problem there!! Was thin as well....but no oudh lol.....sorry for my mistake, apologies......i was writing of Rosam lol......

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I love this fragrance, girls seem to love it more! A great compliment getter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, women really love it I have noticed!

- - - Updated - - -

Your coworker is a moron, it does not smell remotely like a dental office lol. I recall, you had sent your bottle to Le Labo, because of longevity issues, what happened after???

They were great and shipped me a new bottle. And I agree, not sure where that dentist comment came from..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone's comments. I will try to get my hands on a decant since I do enjoy it and would like to give it more wearing to see if a bottle is needed. For now it's noir D noir, mfk lnph as my go to roses. Own lyric but just can't seem to wear this one
    . Bit too much for me.

I'm wearing Rose 31 today and I am loving it. I like it in warmer weather.

I can't wait to try this out. I go back to the UK in a couple of weeks so rather than getting a sample online I'm just going to pop into the Le Labo boutique when I get back.

I've heard such good things on here about it.

I didn't like this at all when I first got hold of a sample, but I've come to love it. The opening - salty, nacreous and cumin-loaded - is addictive and it becomes a deep, enveloping wood fragrance. There isn't an awful lot of rose for me but the vetiver is lovely. I think that was my problem with it: once I'd let go of my expectations of rosiness, the whole thing made sense.

I am really interested in possible adding this back to the wardrobe. One of the ones i sometimes regret selling off. I need to try portrait of a lady first since i've heard a lot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I am really interested in possible adding this back to the wardrobe. One of the ones i sometimes regret selling off. I need to try portrait of a lady first since I've heard a lot about that one.
    Got PoaL for my wife via a split. She absolutely loves it and got a compliment from it as well. It has stellar longevity and projection. I can't picture myself wearing it though as I find it too feminine for me.

Curious to see how it and other rose frags compare to Rose 31. It's on my to sample list.

Can't beat Une Rose for day and Noir de Noir for evening imo!

I really enjoy Rose 31, but I have to admit, I'm kind of fascinated by it. It smells great and lasts for ages, but I'm not convinced it's something I want to smell like. I almost blind bought into a split, but I bought a sample from Le Labo instead, and I'm glad I did. Rose 31 is a weird one. It's unisex, but in a way I've never experienced before. It begins on the feminine side and evolves into a masculine scent.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I found that Lumiere Noire pour Homme and Noir de Noir is all you need for a Rose based scent.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

How does it compare to HAMMAM BOUQUET?

I really like Rose 31, but it is way overpriced for what it is, rose + cumin + ISO-e super .

I found it to be one of the better Le Labo offerings, but inferior to other scents that i already own- Lumiere Noir pour Homme, Lyric man, Opus 1870. Opus 1870 is probably the closest in style, and is in my opinion far superior.