Code of Conduct

Default Grail Samples on the way...Invasion Barbare and Pure Distance M

It's hard to believe, but I have never smelled either. Part of me worries I'll be disappointed, part of me worries I'll be smitten!

As a longtime basenoter, I figure it's my obligation to at least sample these legends. I ordered two samples of each from luckyscent.

Default Re: Grail Samples on the way...Invasion Barbare and Pure Distance M

You are in for a treat, enjoy those samples and ready your wallet for a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It's hard to believe, but I have never smelled either. Part of me worries I'll be disappointed, part of me worries I'll be smitten!

As a longtime basenoter, I figure it's my obligation to at least sample these legends. I ordered two samples of each from luckyscent.
    Nice!

I'm in the same boat as you. I just had to finally order samples.

I ordered a sample of '1725' based on some of the comparisons to IB but that was just way too over the top powdery for me.

A sample of Santorial is also on it's way to compare to IB.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Nice!

I'm in the same boat as you. I just had to finally order samples.

I ordered a sample of '1725' based on some of the comparisons to IB but that was just way too over the top powdery for me.

A sample of Santorial is also on it's way to compare to IB.

Sartorial is very nice. I sold it and I regret it. I used a handsoap in a restaurant the other day that was a dead ringer for it and now I'm missing it!

Thanks to a formidable BNer PalmBeach I have my dear vintage Norma Kamali Incense(1982) on its way.
    Still ahven't tried Puredistance though.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Sartorial in my mind is another Duchaufour masterpiece. And Invasion is pretty special as well. Never smelled Puredistance, but plan on buying the smallest size bottle blind by the end of the year.

Max

My bet is that you will love Invasion Barbare.

Both nice fragrances. Neither are in my top 10 or anything, but they are both very nice. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Certainly a must-try for anyone in the hobby.

Count me in as another one who has not tried these yet. Have to get a sample of these.

The two best scents on the planet in current production IMHO.

They are both worth sampling for sure. IB is very nice, though it's a little too light for my personal taste. M on the other hand has a nice richness to it, though the specific scent profile doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a big leather fan though.

I got both in my last sample order and they are terrific (and expensive!)
    I also got Sartorial and will buy it soon.

Puredistance M is excellent, just beautiful. I need to revisit IB as I didn't fall immediately in love like everyone else seems to. First sample of IB was a dab so I need another sample to decant into a 3ml atomizer. I'm not giving up on it just yet.

Invasion Barbare is my SOTD. While it is a very nice scent, my first impression is that I'm a bit underwhelmed. For it's price tag, I expected more. I used a lot from a sample vial, so we'll see how it progresses today.

My comparison scents: When I put it on, KL Homme came to mind. Two hours in, I get Spazio Krizia Pour Homme. Last night, it actually smelled like Bond No. 9 Central Park on my hand. It does seem to morph a lot.

First impression of M was that it is very close to Bel Ami, but I have not given it a proper wearing.

So far, I think my wallet will be quite safe. They're nice scents, but not ones I would go out of my way to drop a lot of dough on.

I have the vintage Bel Ami and M and I do get the resemblance, M though is more plush and opulent, leathery and floral. Though I find Bel Ami more versatile and I like the leather note more, it smells like a leather jacket/ leather cowboy boots where M's leather is more dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    You are in for a treat, enjoy those samples and ready your wallet for a purchase.
    Couldn't have said any better - both are amazing, with IB being my probable best purchase of this yr (Slumberhouse's frags comes 2nd, but IB won, but just by a nose)...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Invasion Barbare is my SOTD. While it is a very nice scent, my first impression is that I'm a bit underwhelmed. For it's price tag, I expected more. I used a lot from a sample vial, so we'll see how it progresses today.

My comparison scents: When I put it on, KL Homme came to mind. Two hours in, I get Spazio Krizia Pour Homme. Last night, it actually smelled like Bond No. 9 Central Park on my hand. It does seem to morph a lot.

First impression of M was that it is very close to Bel Ami, but I have not given it a proper wearing.

So far, I think my wallet will be quite safe. They're nice scents, but not ones I would go out of my way to drop a lot of dough on.

I had the same impression of IB.

I was expecting way more.

Very nice indeed but just not worth the price tag for me at the moment, maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm sampling M today!

OTE=1280adam;2922588]I had the same impression of IB.

I was expecting way more.

Very nice indeed but just not worth the price tag for me at the moment, maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm sampling M today![/QUOTE]

I think I'll give M a go tomorrow.

First thing I'd suggest is slow down!

Your olfactory system is far more complex (and often deceptive) than the fragrances. Try them off and on for the next few months and then report back. I can't even begin to count the number of 180's I've done on fragrances. Sometimes it's years before the the thing hits you. There's no denying the quality of IB, but it wasn't something I wanted to wear. Irritated the hell out of me actually. But now I like it a lot. Give the things (and yourself) some room. :-)

Of course you're right. I tend to make snap judgements. I'll give it a few wears. I'm not in a hurry anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Your olfactory system is far more complex (and often deceptive) than the fragrances. Try them off and on for the next few months and then report back. Hell, I can't even begin to count the number of 180's I've done on fragrances. Sometimes it's years before the the thing hits you. There's no denying the quality of IB, but it wasn't something I wanted to wear. Irritated the hell out of me actually. But now I like it a lot. Give the things some room.

A very generous SA siphoned off some IB for me and that was enough really. It's very nice, but I didn't feel it bottleworthy at that pricepoint.

I think this Holy Grail pursuit is a myth for fragrance lovers -- there's always something nicer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    A very generous SA siphoned off some IB for me and that was enough really. It's very nice, but I didn't feel it bottleworthy at that pricepoint.

I think this Holy Grail pursuit is a myth for fragrance lovers -- there's always something nicer out there.

I agree. I was using it jokingly in the thread title. I could never have just one "grail" scent. I can't have less than 30!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Your olfactory system is far more complex (and often deceptive) than the fragrances. Try them off and on for the next few months and then report back. I can't even begin to count the number of 180's I've done on fragrances. Sometimes it's years before the the thing hits you. There's no denying the quality of IB, but it wasn't something I wanted to wear. Irritated the hell out of me actually. But now I like it a lot. Give the things (and yourself) some room. :-)
    No truer words typed. I wrote IB off as a joke and I now get it. Can I wear a full bottle? Doubtful. My small decant will run dry at some point. Starting to enjoy chypre palatin more. Never smelled M
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

In case if you like Invasion you can get it direct from MDCI 10ml bottles. 5 bottles 90 euro delivered. good deal

After wearing it all day, I will say that at least "initially", I prefer Sartorial and YSL Rive Gauche. But to be fair, I will give it multiple wearings.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Couldn't have said any better - both are amazing, with IB being my probable best purchase of this yr (Slumberhouse's frags comes 2nd, but IB won, but just by a nose)...
    Slumberhouse? He's got 4. Wich one?

Great stuff OP! Another one to consider if you haven't already to complete a "holy trinity":
    Clive Christian C for Men

Enjoy your samples

And you're not missing much. I mean, they're both decent, but I would put Divine L'homme Sage and Amouage Interlude against Pure Distance, and Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM against Invasion Barbare. If you haven't tried those, try them alongside the ones you're sampling and let me know what you think...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Pun intended (by just a "nose")? Lol

Chuck, I haven't sampled either and not sure i need to but I'll probably jump in to see what the fuss is about. Given your thoughts so far though I have a feeling I won't love them either.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Chuck, I haven't sampled either and not sure i need to but I'll probably jump in to see what the fuss is about. Given your thoughts so far though I have a feeling I won't love them either.
    I'm in the same boat, as well. I keep postponing sampling these two, but I really need to smell what these two have to offer. I think I will finally just get some ordered to share in the experience, though I have a feeling I will be a little let down given my high expectations.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    My 2 cents: Pure Distance M: Really nicely made. User friendly. I could never be passionate about it and I think it's just that little bit of cinnamon in there. It's a quibble, I know, but when you have a quibble you're not gonna come up with something you want to wear let alone a holy grail.

Invasion Barbare: The first time I sampled this I was surprised at how much I disliked it. Then I looked at the pyramid: VIOLET LEAF! duh! I could have saved myself the trouble if I'd looked at the pyramid before I ordered. Violet Leaf is the note that makes popular fragrances like Grey Flannel and Bleecker Street such horrors, at least to me. I definitely smell Grey Flannel in IB. Many users actually like violet leaf or at the least they don't dislike it, (note how much love GF receives among frag users after so many years) but it's my personal fragrance kryptonite.

I'm sampling M again just as I finish writing this. Smells pretty good.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 10th April 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Avoid!

Just look at the people above - EVERYBODY is wearing these things

Question: I sampled Invasion Barbare from luckyscent and did not like it. Should i get another sample, but this time test it with a sprayer? I didnt completely dislike it, and i have found since that frags do tend to smell differently when applied as they should be.

On Monday, I told my wife that I got some Grey Flannel out of it! Must not be my favorite note. My wife likes IB a lot on me, but my extended wear yesterday did not wow me. I'll see how M fairs today.

QUOTE=Dernier_Cri;2924145]My 2 cents: Pure Distance M: Really nicely made. User friendly. I could never be passionate about it and I think it's just that little bit of cinnamon in there. It's a quibble, I know, but when you have a quibble you're not gonna come up with something you want to wear let alone a holy grail.

Invasion Barbare: The first time I sampled this I was surprised at how much I disliked it. Then I looked at the pyramid: VIOLET LEAF! duh! I could have saved myself the trouble if I'd looked at the pyramid before I ordered. Violet Leaf is the note that makes popular fragrances like Grey Flannel and Bleecker Street such horrors, at least to me. I definitely smell Grey Flannel in IB. Many users actually like violet leaf or at the least they don't dislike it, (note how much love GF receives among frag users after so many years) but it's my personal fragrance kryptonite.

I'm sampling M again just as I finish writing this. Smells pretty good.
    [/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

OK, about and hour and a half into M. Goes on like Bel Ami, then became a skin scent on me. I can't detect much of it, maybe others are getting more. I dabbed it on to both sides of my neck, once to my belly and twice to my chest. I really like to enjoy more of a scent for myself. Again, I'm trying to be patient and give it a chance.

IB was an all day wear for me yesterday. This morning, I slipped on the same t-shirt I wore last night after reapplying for a concert. So I wore IB for a good 14 hours yesterday. I'll say this, it had more presence on my skin than M does. I could smell it easier.

Just based on my initial one time wearings, for the same types of scents I prefer Bel Ami and Rive Gauche.

I'll also say this: in this world, some people are connoisseurs. They savor fine dining, enjoy art at high levels. That's probably not me.

While I'm too picky for low-end scents, I am a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Jos. A Bank Suits, Lower End Niche Scent (Creed and Bond) type of guy. I'm not McDonald's, I'm too snobby for meat and potatoes, but I'm not fancy enough for the Spagos of the world.

I don't think I have the appreciation for notes and subtleties in scents that these cologne require. I may just require simpler scents that are much more straight-forward.