Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Montale watered down??

I've recently bought a 100 ml bottle of Montale's Black Aoud and Blue Amber directly from their website .I don't get the same strenght as in the samples I own , the juice in the 100ml bottles has poor longevity on my skin and clothes, they project less and I have to use more sprays .My samples are stronger .
    Have you had any similar experiences with your recent purchases form Montale?

Default Re: Montale watered down??

With all the weird stuff going on at Montale, it wouldn't surprise me that they changed their formulas.

Thumbs up Re: Montale watered down??

Quote Originally Posted by KillerScent View Post
    I've recently bought a 100 ml bottle of Montale's Black Aoud and Blue Amber directly from their website .I don't get the same strenght as in the samples I own , the juice in the 100ml bottles has poor longevity on my skin and clothes, they project less and I have to use more sprays .My samples are stronger .
    Yes, that is true. I follow MONTALE on facebook and everybody is complaining.
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 4th April 2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Disappointing news if true. Paging hednic...

As per MONTALE post on facebook

Dear customer,
    For information for our regular buyers:

As you know, the concentration of our perfumes buying in the shop can be controlled as desired.
    But this option is a shop exclusivity.
    On our website, perfumes are concentrated between 28% and 35%.

For regulars buyers (45%): The fragrance doesn't have the same "power" as your previous purchases, but we wish to specify that the quality remains the same!

Sincerely,
    Montale Team

UNQUOTE
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post

Dear customer,

As you know, the concentration of our perfumes buying in the shop can be controlled as desired.

For regulars buyers (45%): The fragrance doesn't have the same "power" as your previous purchases, but we wish to specify that the quality remains the same!

Sincerely,
    Montale Team

UNQUOTE
    Wow.

At least 10% less oil for the same price.

Sad.

I have a back up bottle of Black Aoud, Sweet Oriental Dream, A C'd A, Full Incense but I was looking to acquire a few more, since Montale has some amazing scents with some nuclear strength.

I hope it's temporary and they come back to normal.

This is ridiculous. I wanted Dark Aoud to be in my rotation for a long time.

I am starting to wonder about samples myself. I had a similar experience recently with Patchouli Intense by PD Nicolai. The sample was great but when the bottle came it was noticeably different.

Bummer.

Basenotes Plus

I don't get it. They can control the concentration in their shop, which BTW doesn't exist anymore, but they cannot control the concentration on the manufacturing line? I say . . . HOGWASH. Why the heck can't they control?

I did notice that my recent purchase of Black Oud was quite noticeably weaker than it used to be... Rather disappointing.

Have never had an experience like the OP thankfully.

To all of those that hated Montale before that complained about it being too stong or too artificial...now we will get weaker scents from them any you might be happier. Not sure what to say here but those of us that liked Montale before are now also disapointed. Too bad. But Montale was good for me while they lasted. Just wish I had purchassed a couple more bottles by mail last year when I could with extra concentration and a free 20ml bottle. Now they will not ship to the US. Bought Aoud Ever last week at a discount from a retailer and like it a lot but he strength was not there. As for me I will likely never buy another Montale bottle, a shame really...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

It is sad , I remember Black Aoud to be a beast , it lasted many many hours , it sticked to your skin and clothes like glue , it was oily , and now .... I've also read comments in the same line about Sweet Oriental Dream and Red Aoud .
    Montale watering down .Shame .
    Last edited by KillerScent; 4th April 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Well for those lucky enough to swing by Dubai, the Tanelli fragrances are better made and stronger, from what I have heard .
    I don't know what basement Montale is running their shop from. Tanelli is offered through Al Jazeera Perfumes, owned by the guy behind the concept of Montale originally ( Ammar Atmeh) .
    http://aljazeeraperfumes.com/tanelli.html

Also the Mancera fragrances are better composed and come in more attractive bottles .
    Last edited by vinramani09; 4th April 2013 at 11:13 AM.

The following statement is so self-contradictory that it borders on insulting:

For "regular buyers," one would think that "power" is important in what goes into the perception of "quality." I highly doubt that habitual buyers will agree that if it is 10% weaker, the quality remains the same.

There is a way to protest this joke: simply boycott the house.

Banned

the same thing happened to Amouage.........thanks for posting!!! its good to observe those trends and be aware of it

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    The following statement is so self-contradictory that it borders on insulting:

For "regular buyers," one would think that "power" is important in what goes into the perception of "quality." I highly doubt that habitual buyers will agree that if it is 10% weaker, the quality remains the same.

There is a way to protest this joke: simply boycott the house.
    I will boycott the house i have posted my position on MONTALE facebook page
    Perfumes

I bought black oud lately and to be honest it was not like the sample I got from luckyscent . It is not just the concentration. It is definitely affecting the fragrance itself. It smelled synthetic and I had to wash it off. I went back to the sample and enjoyed it again. I am sure they will notice a decline in their sale, but by that time it will be too late . It is hard to change people's opinion , especially when it comes to niche fragrances.

All my Montale fragrances (all 76 of them) are just fine with no problems whatsoever.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    All my Montale fragrances (all 76 of them) are just fine with no problems whatsoever.
    76! Holy ish!

Have you bought recently from Montale's website? Where and when did you buy your last bottle? Have you compared recent bottles with the 1 year (at least) ago ones?

Last purchases were received last week. Compared to ones purchased years ago, they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    To all of those that hated Montale before that complained about it being too stong or too artificial...now we will get weaker scents
    I keep reading reviews from people who are offended by "strong" scents. Is this something that is common with younger members ? I've been told by one person that it isn't "hip" to have on strong cologne. Then why not wear a body wash and can the cologne ?

Also mines are fine. But i own them before reformulations.
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I keep reading reviews from people who are offended by "strong" scents. Is this something that is common with younger members ? I've been told by one person that it isn't "hip" to have on strong cologne. Then why not wear a body wash and can the cologne ?
    I think it depends on each person's nose. I am young but love stronger stuff (Tobacco Vanille, LIDGE). Montale always was in this category, though to me not nearly as nuclear as some posters swear by. Anyway, the too strong cologne comment only has applied to me with old school stuff: Opium Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed opening, Ralph Lauren Polo, etc. These choked people out big time and with only 1 spray. I haven't worn Montales out in public so idk how others might feel, but the various aouds from small sample dabs haven't been well received to people around me when testing at home, even the supposedly pleasant stuff (Red Aoud for example). I think it also also depends on the fragrance...I can overspray the shit out of Dior Homme Intense, La Nuit, 1 Million and only receive positive feedback, never too strong idk why.

I dont know if this is true but I own three Montales for almost a year. I can say if this is true this is completely contradictory to the brand itself. I believe most consumers of Montale goods not only enjoy the scent but want longevity and projection. THIS could ultimately begin the dimiss of this house.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have 12 Montales, all extra concentrated, you honestly don't need more than 3 or 4 bottles from this house, most of the fragrances are repetitive or overtly synthetic. Montales use to be very popular 2-3 years ago, but have fallen out favour, because of their shady business, other niche lines doing Oud fragrances , also Tanelli and Mancera fragrances are better composed.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 7th January 2014 at 08:58 AM.

I took the Facebook post to say "We used to do it before for you, but don't ask for extra concentration unless you're buying in person from our (future) Paris store".

Dear customer,

Sincerely,
    Montale Team

UNQUOTE
    - - - Updated - - -

Regarding the concentration of their normal (non concentrated) line, I hope that it hasn't changed. I pay the extra money for their fragrances because of the quality. I love that a little goes a long way & it makes me want to buy more from Montale,

If the quality diminishes I will be spending my money elsewhere. I have already had an issue with a leaking Velvet Flowers bottle which has made me a little wary of their quality control.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

I think the only way is down for Montale from now on since they literally cut off all of their selling points/appeals
    1/ The power of the juice
    2/ The extra concentration
    3/ The free world wide shipping
    4/ The 50ml bottle with affordable price (about $75ish)

I personally do not think the quality and craftsmanship of majority of Montale offerings is on par with other niche houses' (they do have some good fragrances though). Therefore I doubt that people will care for Montale now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Tanelli and Mancera fragrances are better composed.
    FYI, what Tanelli sells is basically what Montale sells and Pierre Montale has both of his hands and foot deep in Mancera plus Mancera is marketed to be "the cheaper Montale" so I do not think those brands are any better than Montale

Quote Originally Posted by KillerScent View Post
    How old are your samples? This could be a simple case of the juice in your vials oxidising over time. It's worth considering but there has been the odd comment, in the past, about Montales now smelling weaker.

Yes, that is true. I follow MONTALE on facebook and everybody is complaining.
    I've only seen a couple of complaints and one was with regards to performance on the skin. Another was about there being no boutique to visit and sample their offerings. That just leaves your comment...

Dear customer,

Sincerely,
    Montale Team

UNQUOTE
    I think people are misunderstanding what's being said here (and even I had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it).

Montale is stating that their fragrances are 'weaker' because the extra concentration option isn't currently being offered (45%). In other words, the standard concentration is all that's available (28-35%). The 'regular buyers' are probably those who have purchased previous Montales with extra concentration. Hence why they say, "The fragrance doesn't have the same "power" as your previous purchases..."

Someone please let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

GREAT! Just as I was getting interested in them Oh well, I'll look at the bright side as I've only experienced one Montal so far and won't know what I'm missing.

Basenotes Plus

Compliance issues again?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    How old are your samples? This could be a simple case of the juice in your vials oxidising over time. It's worth considering but there has been the odd comment, in the past, about Montales now smelling weaker.
    My samples are from April 2012, acquired through First in Fragrance .I'm absolutely sure (not my nose playing tricks) that these samples are stronger, they were stronger since the first time I used them .In fact I made a direct comparison with the few drops remaining in the samples and I could clearly see the difference in strenght .The rose and oud in the BA sample are super-strong, almost choking, while in my bottle are tamed , like 4 hours ahead in the dry-down of the sample .I can say the same about the amber and vanilla in Blue Amber .
    I think this watering down is hard to confirm unless more users say a word in the same sense , but I'm totally sure my bottles are weaker .

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I think the only way is down for Montale from now on since they literally cut off all of their selling points/appeals
    1/ The power of the juice
    2/ The extra concentration
    3/ The free world wide shipping
    4/ The 50ml bottle with affordable price (about $75ish)

I personally do not think the quality and craftsmanship of majority of Montale offerings is on par with other niche houses' (they do have some good fragrances though). Therefore I doubt that people will care for Montale now

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, what Tanelli sells is basically what Montale sells and Pierre Montale has both of his hands and foot deep in Mancera plus Mancera is marketed to be "the cheaper Montale" so I do not think those brands are any better than Montale

FYI, actually Mancera fragrances are better composed than Montales, I own 2 bottles of Mancera and several Montales. Even one seasoned member compared Mancera as a Lexus in comparison to Montale as a Toyota. Also the Mancera bottles are far more attractive than aluminum cans of Montale.

With regards to Tanelli Black Aoud, I find it similar to Montale's Black Aoud, but more deeper and well rounded, with a much deeper drydown.

Well to be frank,
    I have cut off montale long time ago
    But I still adore black oud.
    I did notice that it has been watered down

Bought lime oud, just received it Monday it is weaker.

- - - Updated - - -

45%? 35? 28? Aventus is 19-20% and they can't enough of it

Dear customer,

Sincerely,
    Montale Team

UNQUOTE
    - - - Updated - - -

Also the Mancera fragrances are better composed and come in more attractive bottles .[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by stuigi; 28th April 2013 at 12:59 PM.

No , Outline lol ,its Al Jazeera Perfumes hahah, not the tv station lol

If you quickly search ebay, there is a guy from Oman he can get any Mancera. $95+$13 shipping 120ml

Wow, poor longevity with Blue Amber ?

You *know* they must have changed something if that's the case.

I think I am officially done with Montale unless they open a stand alone store where I can get the concentrees, Montales without their sillage and longevity do no warrant their 100+ price tags.

I was just going to get into Montale,
    and now i read this !
    Im staying away.

Default lost Huddler discussion - new crop of Montales watered down or not?

We had a discussion on whether people thought that the recent stuff from Montale lasted as long or not. My bottle from Fragrancenet of Red Vetyver only lasted like 4 hours. I had a bottle of it before that lasted 6 to 7 easily and that was not the prior bottle with extra concentration that lasted over 10 and projected great the whole time.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: lost Huddler discussion - new crop of Montales watered down or not?

The data should be back here soon, finsfan, so we can merge this thread with the previous ones when they arrive.

I remember that discussion. Horrible news. Been thinking of buying a bottle of Red Vetyver. I think I like it more that TdH.

Will be holding off on that for sure now.

Basenotes Plus

Wasn't there some kind of split between the people involved with the brand?

From what I understand, there was a split, and the other half went on to become Mancera. I could be mistaken, but the resemblance between the fragrances can not be.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    From what I understand, there was a split, and the other half went on to become Mancera. I could be mistaken, but the resemblance between the fragrances can not be.
    I think it was the same individual who split from his Middle Eastern business partner Attmeh, and maintained the French corporate based Montales that started the separate Mancera line - Piere Durrani.

(1194)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I hate to hear it really because I love my Red Vetyer and it lasts far into the evening from a morning spray. I thought all the Montale weakness was all poppycock and old wife's tales. But with more people experiencing the differences there seems to be something to it. Such a shame.

I heard a different story, Montale ME partner who is behind most of the scents,

Went on to establish his own line, Tenali in very same bottles and using same names ans scents,

I do not know whether this is true or not, but I heard it from one retailer who used to carry Montale

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    I heard a different story, Montale ME partner who is behind most of the scents,

Went on to establish his own line, Tenali in very same bottles and using same names ans scents,

I do not know whether this is true or not, but I heard it from one retailer who used to carry Montale
    Yes I have heard whispers on Taneli being a off shoot from Montale also targeting the Middle East. So it seems we have a triumvirate with Montale, Mancera and Taneli. One of these days the truth will be revealed but something has happened to Montale and it sounds discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post

Went on to establish his own line, Tanelli in very same bottles and using same names and scents,

That's true I believe from what I've read.
    (1210)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My Red Vetyver in the summer came from Fragrancenet. I think it did not last as long as stuff I got three, four years ago directly from Montale via ordering by email from the shop in Paris

I had my nose set on Black Musk. Now I read this :/

Sent from my HTC One

Is there a red vetyver scent I the Tanelli or Mancera lines?

Is there a red vetyver scent I the Tanelli or Mancera lines?

Basenotes Plus

Just linking this thread with this one
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...s-and-thoughts
    and this one
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/344...e-watered-down

We'll merge the two 'watered down' threads in order to avoid cross-posting.
    Last edited by lpp; 12th January 2014 at 02:35 PM.

I guess this house still has some nice stuff to offer. Intense cafe which was released in 2013 stays close to the skin but is very potent and gives 8 hrs+

Over half a year later bump.

Since this is of concern to me... can people comment on longevity of NEWER Montale's that have seemingly been reformulated?

For example... Black Aoud. What kind of longevity have people been noticing compared to before? Red Vetyver? Etc.

Sillage?
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Over half a year later bump.

Since this is of concern to me... can people comment on longevity of NEWER Montale's that have seemingly been reformulated?

For example... Black Aoud. What kind of longevity have people been noticing compared to before? Red Vetyver? Etc.

Sillage?
    I have bought about 10 Montales in the last 2 years and I have no longevity or projection issues. In fact, the Montales are among the most long lasting of my fragrance correction. So their performance is very good. I can't compare with Montales released 10 years ago but if they are watered down now, they must have been unwearable then.

I recently bought Aoud Nepal (which is just amazing) , I get more than 15 hours on my skin and huge projection.