Code of Conduct

Default Sequoia, Artek, Kyoto, Wonderwood, and TdH Parfum

I've been out of the fragrance game for quite a bit. I peruse the blogs and basenotes every now and then, but i'm not maven i used to be 5 or 6 years ago lol. I'm actually down to 3 bottles when i had over 40 at one point, good grief! anyway, i've been looking to get back in the game.

so i've owned the aforementioned scents at one point or another. They are all wonderful, really. However, at the same time none of them have never felt like THE one. I've probably worn each one for a month or so and just got a bit bored. Needless to say cedar, woods, spice, dry, smoke and incense seem to be me. i dip into the citrusy more aromatic wood types, but they always have a dry base to begin with.

Sequoia - I had such high hopes for this one, but the boozy, spicy, sweet notes really dominate on me, and the woods/smokey woods/campfire notes are kind of just the backup singers and don't really shine. If i could reverse the effects i would be in love with Sequoia. I like a bit of spicy and sweet to round of the dryness of the woods but a little less of it would be nicer.

Artek - This one was a love of mine for a bit, albeit it took some adjusting. i think i even went through a very clean, ACNE (the Swedish brand) kind of wardrobe shift for the times i wore Artek. I found it really linear for the most part, but there would be days when it would come alive and i could detect some development and complexity, so i kept it around. i put it on the backburner bc i was looking for more layers vs simplicity.

Kyoto - Kyoto was the most versatile and most understandable, and the most liked by my peers. i still wear it, as an on the go, don't have to think about it kind of scent. Its the perfect amount of dry woods with tiny amount of aromatic incense to round it out. it's literally perfect, but only lasts 2 hours. Gucci Rush and Christian Lacroix Tumulte are my favorites (woa, flashback! i still have some actually.), and Kyoto was like the upgraded version in my mind. people always mention Azzaro visit but the cheap white musk and nutmeg are the only things i can smell.

Wonderwood - beautiful, aromatic, peppery sandalwood ... and then one day it just became nauseating and cloying and sour.

TdH Parfum - i dislike the mineral/flint feel of the EDT so this version was a nice change of pace. its probably the most "cologney" scent i've worn, but there is a very stately, formal presence about it to me. i like it a bunch, but i feel like i'm wearing a scent of someone who is a little older and much more successful than me. it doesn't feel very personal.

Clive Christian X - despite it's ostentacious marketing and that terrible, gawdy bottle, and how expensive it i ... i would probably own a bottle of this. i do think its a bit too rich, but if it was diluted to EDT i think it'd be perfect.

Strangely enough, I've also been attracted to more modern leather interpretations. i know Santal 33 is supposed to be sandalwood obviously but i get a leather note in there - it's a great scent but its just "too easy" and not as unique and thoughtful enough for me. I'd probably own Cuiron if i could find it (my friend has 2 bottles left and won't let me touch them, ha). and believe it or not, my nephew was wearing True Religion (the original) and if it weren't for the aquatic notes i think it's a great scent despite what i think about the brand in general.

others i've tried, but are out of the game for whatever reason: Gucci PH/2, Creed(s), CDG2Man, Palisander, Sartorial, Costes, can't think of any others for now.

i'm just really itching to try/sample decants right now, so throw some suggestions at me, based on the mish mash i've written.
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 4th April 2013 at 06:10 AM.

Default Re: Sequoia, Artek, Kyoto, Wonderwood, and TdH Parfum

Maybe you should try some Niche Perfumer's Work?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Perhaps Les Jeux Sont Faits by Jovoy Parfums.

Well, Timbuktu if you haven't already - still the definitve smoky, dry woods for me.

I'm a fan of Kyoto, BTW, and I agree with your assessment of X - I also own this one and the idea could be taken into something less dense quite nicely.

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete from Guerlain might be worth tracking down.
    Pascal Morabito Or Black might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Well, Timbuktu if you haven't already - still the definitve smoky, dry woods for me.
    ahhh! Timbuktu!

all these years i've been mixing it up with Dzing!

when Dzing! first came out someone described it as sweaty and elephants at the zoo, and i guess i associated elephants with Africa, and Africa with Timbuktu. glad i got that all cleared up, ha!

A few suggestions:

Tom Ford - Italian Cypress
    Lutens - Cedre (a wonderful cedar but it is quite sweet)
    Lutens - Santal de Mysore
    Annick Goutal - Duel (dry desert air)
    Diptyque - Tam Dao (beautiful sandalwood, maybe not dry and dark enough for you)

Have you tried the other scents from the CdG Incense series? Jaisalmer is on the sweeter side but Zagorsk and Avignon are fairly dry.

Sound Scents

These should be in the neighborhood of what you are seeking...

LiquidNight by A Lab On Fire (relatively sweet and smooth woody incense)
    Padparadscha by Satellite (a fiery spicy woody/sandalwood composition)
    Nemo by Cacharel (discontinued dry woody/incense composition that can still be acquired on eBay for reasonable money)
    Idole by Lubin (spicy/woody)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver by Mona di Orio (natural cedar and vetiver)
    Tzora by Anat Fritz (Peruvian Pepper and Bergamot driven citric/woody chypre with a base similar to Terre d'Hermes)
    Bursch by Acqua di Biella (a slightly boozy rhubarb and incense heart over an extremely natural cedar wood base)
    Costume National Homme by Costume National (occupies a similar space as X for Men but sans the jasmine)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frťdťric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driý) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacrť (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Slumberhouse Norne
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline
    Profumum Arso
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles

I second Slumberhouse's offerings, they're all quality niche products. You may want to test Slumberhouse Jeke as well, it's quite unique and from your tastes, I think you might like it. I would add Diptique Tam Dao and Chanel Sycamore to the list of fragrances you should try..

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline
    Profumum Arso
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles

If you're looking for wood scents you can't go wrong with D Squared2's He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood; this one goes well with Bath and Body Works Twilight Woods for Men, and Old Spice Fiji Deodorant.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26130583.html

I'll second Timbuktu, add Cartier Declaration (since you mention you like a little citrus and spice with your woods -- I think our tastes are similar), and then add my biggest recommendation: Amouage Memoir Man. The delicious blast of mint and wormwood at the start morphs into beautiful dry frankincense and ashy, brooding wood. Beautiful stuff.

(You may also like Jubilation XXV and Interlude Man if you haven't tried them yet.)

I'll third Timbuktu and encourage you to try Dzongkha (cleaner and leaner than Timbuktu) and Al Oudh (oudhless, actually, transparent animalic woody incense. Fantastic!)

In addition to some of the excellent recommendations above, I would add Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage and Divine L'Homme Infini. Both of these are excellent woody scents (and they smell similar to each other, to my nose).

Also, if you like TdH Parfum but want something a little lighter, less formal, and with a little incense, you might check out Byredo Sunday Cologne.

Maybe some Tom Ford Oud Wood

Try Costume National Scent Intense, Costme National Homme, Cartier Declaration and L'Essence de Declaration by Cartier.
    I'm sure you'll pick at least one after that!

Tom Ford Italian Cypress - i have a decant of this laying around somewhere. i really like the crackling wood fire aspect to it! it's like Polo with the herbal, 80's aspect toned down.

the Costume National suggestions are interesting. i had a thing with Scent Intense a few years ago, but i wasn't brave enough to wear it in public bc it seemed to feminine to me. from what i remember of Costume National Homme it was a bit too creamy from tonka or labdanum, but i'll check it out again. i'm curious what you guys smell in the CN offerings that are connecting them to my tastes. not that i dislike them, i just view them as two different completely different genres.

is Cartier Declaration an oriental? i know it's different than Chanel Allure Homme, but i put them in the same basket woody oriental. i think the Declarations are great but i'm looking for something a little easier wearing that won't have the possibility of becoming cloying in certain temps.

thanks for all the suggestions! they're fantastic! i'm going to be heading to Dallas in a couple weeks. They have a Barney's that carries CDG, Luten, Byredo, L'Artisan and a bunch of other niche houses you mentioned.

keep em coming if you've got more suggestions

I second Timbuktu and Dzongka.
    Declaration is a great scent, might be a bit on the sweet side for you.
    If you like smoky campfire incense, try the original Norma Kamali incense. Difficult to get and difficult to weaf, but worth owning a small decant to sniff from time to time...

I recommend sampling Puredistance M. It's not woods, but has a smoky spices and incense, a super smooth leather, vetiver and vanilla. So it has elements of some you have mentioned, but I suggest it because it has the potential to satisfy the OP's request on the level of being THE one. I have many fragrances, and I just want to wear M!

Quote Originally Posted by sbbbjm View Post
    is Cartier Declaration an oriental? i know it's different than Chanel Allure Homme, but i put them in the same basket woody oriental. i think the Declarations are great but i'm looking for something a little easier wearing that won't have the possibility of becoming cloying in certain temps.
    No, Declaration is not an oriental. Its base is vetiver and woods, with lingering cardamom, juniper, and citrus from the opening. I think if it as refreshing yet spicy and sensual (it has a sexy "sweaty" vibe). There's even some iris in the heart that softens things a bit and makes it that much more suave and delicious. I'd say its sweet in the sense that a gin and tonic can be sweet -- in the wider context of bracing and aromatic.

My further humble recommendation would be: Voyage d'Hermes EDP

Take Lubin's Itasca for a spin. The wood is dialed up here, and no booze, so it might be closer to what you wanted Sequoia to be.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Molecule 01 -a very awesome and natural smelling cedar

Memoir Man - very satisfying dark masculine

Jubillation XXV - fruit and incense, stellar!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

If you like Kyoto, I think you should give Loewe 7 a try Stands out, has good longevity and is quite versatile!
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 9th April 2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typo
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

According to Luca Turin, Luckyscent and many people in the know Sequoia is a top wood fragrance since 05 I believe, maybe just maybe, your personal preference is off the scale on this a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    According to Luca Turin, Luckyscent and many people in the know Sequoia is a top wood fragrance since 05 I believe, maybe just maybe, your personal preference is off the scale on this a bit?
    No. I have the same issue with it; the sweet, boozy component gets in the way. It may be a skin chemistry thing or a difference in how easily one picks up on sweetness, but neither the OP nor I are the first people to mention the booze interfering with the woody component. It's a very good frag, but especially as the day wears on and the coniferous notes inevitably give way to the base, nothing can overcome the rum absolute.

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

It's a matter of personal choice. One size doesn't fit all here. You can find hundreds of people out there who are not into holy cow - Aventus not to mention Sequoia.

CDG started as a tiny niche house back in 05 in NYC only CDG store and Barneys carried CDG Red Series.

Everything is connected in life, I believe that in order to appreciate something you have to have some life experiences.
    Sequoia reminds me forests of Brazil besides the fact that in 05-07 it was simply a ground breaking scent and for many people still is.

Quite a few people did liked it. See below

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...d/Sequoia.html

It's a matter of personal choice. One size doesn't fit all here.
    Exactly what I was pointing out. The OP's personal choice is to find something woodier. So why are you asking the OP to like it or change his personal preference? He wants something woodier and not as sweet as Sequoia. Suggest something. Don't just insist that his preference is wrong or "off the scale a bit."

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

CDG started as a tiny niche house back in 05 in NYC only CDG store and Barneys carried CDG Red Series.
    That's incorrect. Comme des GarÁons as a design house dates back to 1973, when the company was first founded in Japan, and their first fragrance was introduced in 1994.

tried Tam Dao and L'eau from Diptyque today.

Tam Dao was sooooooooooo dry and so literally 'lumber yard' for the first hour - it was like i had my nose up to a 2x4 which i kinda liked ... but then that creamy thing came in and it became more soapy/feminine/unisex. someone mentioned they thought it might not be dark enough for me, i think. i'm gonna go with that.

L'eau - yup, those spicy cinnamon notes got me at first, but then the rose, and the eau d' old lady basenotes settled in and i had to wash it off.

someone mentioned Voyage d'Hermes and i had written it off before bc my boss who is also a scent freak was trying to give it to me after he blind ordered it and said it was weak and synthetic. i saw the Parfum version, and eagerly spritzed it on. my god this stuff comes alive on me, which is crazy bc, my skin usually sucks up fragrance. i was reading the reviews and people keep saying it's "unique" - but i beg to differ. this is straight up Carolina Herrera 212 but the Hermes version, with a Hermes price, and better ingredients. i can never forget that unique musky, metallic, spicy but fresh at the same smell that is 212. i wore that stuff like it was going out of style in high school! i almost bought Voyage for the nostaligia, but held back ha.