Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Longevity of fragrance

    Anyone know the ingredient used to determine how long the fragrance lasts on the skin? I just dont get it, I have some very expensive fragrances that may last 2-3 hrs and I have cheap ones ie, (Lapidus/bogart) that last all day, so it`s not a cost issue, I would really like to know, anyone know???

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    77,452

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    I guess it's just the way certain fragrances react to one's skin chemistry.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    I dont know anyone who complains about Lapidus/bogart etc not lasting very long, but I know plenty that complain about the premium products not lasting, skin chemistry is only a small part of it, any more ideas?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    There are many molecules that last a long time on the skin (for instance, leather-type ones). Most of them are synthetic, there are very few natural substances that last a long time, and those few are now unavailable or too expensive (eg natural musk, sandalwood, ambergris). So ironically a perfume with a higher fraction of natural ingredients will usually last less.

    Also, long lasting molecules tend to be heavier, darker, sweeter (woods, leathers, and the like). Fresh smelling molecules tend to be very fleeting. So perfumes that smell "fresh" have usually more problems with longevity.

    cacio

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    Frunobulax.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    There is no one single magical chemical that imparts longevity upon a fragrance. A fragrance has great longevity because the Perfumer made it so. To create a Perfume requires blending various materials which show a variety of evaporation times; a good Perfumer is able to construct something that lasts as long as the client wants.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Russellneal View Post
    I dont know anyone who complains about Lapidus/bogart etc not lasting very long, but I know plenty that complain about the premium products not lasting, skin chemistry is only a small part of it
    Completely agree with you.

  8. #8

    Default

    I think the whole longevity issue is an easy fix. Perfumers know the client wants a frag to last and to project ie to be smelled by others and a reasonable distance. For some of these companys to produce frags that last 2-3 hrs is robbery...then to charge 80, 90, 200 bucks is an insult. Yeah I like the smell of some of these but im not gonna be taken advantage of. Bottom line is its a business and as the consumer we are now at the bottom of the decision making processes. I totally believe regardless of genre, a perfumer can create a frag that performs well. The fact that they dont clearly shows that they are more interested in making money opposed to making consumers happy.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    Somewhere down the line I picked up the following list. Granted, it mostly deals with naturals and I can't vouch for the accuracy but, by experience, it seems on the mark and perhaps might add to the discussion.

    A rough 'order' of evaporating speeds, starting from the fastest...
    1) Citrus Notes: e.g. grapefruit, bergamot, lemon
    2) Herbaceous Notes: e.g. mint, rosemary
    3) Green Notes: e.g. fresh cut grass
    4) Aldehydic Notes: e.g. synthetic soft florals
    5) Fruity Notes: e.g. apple, pineapple, melon
    6) Floral Notes: e.g. lavender, blossom, rose
    7) Spicy Notes: e.g. pepper, cinnamon, cumin
    8) Woody Notes: e.g. sandalwood, cedarwood
    9) Balsamic Notes: e.g. tree sap
    10) Sweet Notes: e.g. vanilla, tonka bean
    11) Mossy Notes: e.g. oakmoss
    12) Animalic Notes: e.g. musk, civet, castoreum

    In talented hands the whole can be made equal to much more than the component parts. More strength. More complexity. More sillage. More longevity. It's like magic.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

  10. #10
    Dependent The Smelly Scientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN (Japan in spirit...)
    Posts
    1,246

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    If you want longevity, spray on your clothes. That's the only surefire way
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)


    Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

  11. #11

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    If you want longevity, spray on your clothes. That's the only surefire way
    Even with this trick you can not beat the horrible longevity and projection of some very good smelling scents! (Millesime Imperial, D&G The One, ...)
    What a pity...
    Believe me, I've done this many times and for a long time!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    there's no magical chemical fragrances put in to increase longevity.

    the longevity is inherent in the ingredients themselves.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Somewhere down the line I picked up the following list. Granted, it mostly deals with naturals and I can't vouch for the accuracy but, by experience, it seems on the mark and perhaps might add to the discussion.

    A rough 'order' of evaporating speeds, starting from the fastest...
    1) Citrus Notes: e.g. grapefruit, bergamot, lemon
    2) Herbaceous Notes: e.g. mint, rosemary
    3) Green Notes: e.g. fresh cut grass
    4) Aldehydic Notes: e.g. synthetic soft florals
    5) Fruity Notes: e.g. apple, pineapple, melon
    6) Floral Notes: e.g. lavender, blossom, rose
    7) Spicy Notes: e.g. pepper, cinnamon, cumin
    8) Woody Notes: e.g. sandalwood, cedarwood
    9) Balsamic Notes: e.g. tree sap
    10) Sweet Notes: e.g. vanilla, tonka bean
    11) Mossy Notes: e.g. oakmoss
    12) Animalic Notes: e.g. musk, civet, castoreum

    In talented hands the whole can be made equal to much more than the component parts. More strength. More complexity. More sillage. More longevity. It's like magic.
    sounds about right

  13. #13

    Default Re: Longevity of fragrance

    Ok Guys, that just about covers it, thanks for your input.

Similar Threads

  1. longevity and projection of a fragrance
    By Russellneal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th August 2012, 07:04 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th October 2011, 08:15 PM
  3. A 'blue' fragrance with the best longevity
    By elbenja in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 14th September 2011, 09:15 AM
  4. Question about fragrance longevity
    By George P in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th October 2010, 01:06 AM
  5. Fragrance longevity. 2 questions..
    By Robert06 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th September 2007, 03:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •