Code of Conduct

Default Comme Des Garcons 2 Man - Anything Similar?

I really love the warm light incense of 2 Man that plays behind the light smoke, beautiful candle wax and frankincense. That mixture really evoked thoughts of a cold desert night near a campfire outside of a city in the Middle East.

I have done some research and found users that say Le Labo Vetiver 46 smells similar, I will be sampling it this weekend at the Barney's in Vegas.

Can anyone speak to Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain having a similar smell? I have read there are some similarities.

Also, are there any others within the CDG line that have a warmer kind of incense? The only incense series I've tried from CDG was Avignon, which I found too wet, sharp and cold for my liking. From picking notes, I would think Ouarzazate would be the one to try, but not much on it here.

Thanks in Advanced for all the help!
    Last edited by rynegne; 4th April 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Default Re: Comme Des Garcons 2 Man - Anything Similar?

Yes try Ouarzazate.

I love LADDM, but it the only similarity is that they have incense. Other than that, the feel is very different. The CDG is light, ethereal, snuffed candles, cold church. LADDM is very stark, spicy-resinous, and sweet ambery, with a spicy carnation and dusty feel. If you will, CDG feels cold, LADDM warm. Interestingly, I seem to have a different impression of CDG2 from you. I don't get any campfire feeling from CDG (not even at night), but I do get a campfire feel from LADDM (but a campfire in the day). In any case, worth trying if you have the chance.

As for the CDG incenses, they are all more straightforward and churchy than CDG2. Even Ouarzazate and Kyoto, which are spicier, dustier, and woodier than the catholic Avignon, are much closer to Avignon than to CDG2.

cacio

Thanks much for the input, both of you guys make such great contributions to this board. I do enjoy warmer and spicier scents, so I do think a testing of Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain and Ouarzazate is in order. As you said, cacio, Avignon to me is a cold Catholic or Orthodox church. Not my cup of tea. But I can definitely appreciate spice, dust and wood even without the light candle smoke of CDG 2 Man. Thanks for delving into the CDG incense line for me, I'm relatively new to the fragrance world and totally new to the line, which gets confusing in the marketing of their fragrances.

Cheers

Vetiver 46 is quite similar to my nose, perhaps a bit more green. Another one that is similar is Gucci PH I, but its been discontinued and tough to find at a decent price. I dont see LDDM as having much in common with these 3, but definitely sniff it out anyways, its great stuff. Another CdG to try is Kyoto, and while you're at Barney's this weekend, do try Le Labo Patchouli 24, that stuff is campfire bottled.

Thanks JiveHippo, I will most definitely try the Le Labo's while at Barneys. I have heard PH I is similar, as you stated it's insanely priced since the discontinuation. I'm hoping the SAs in Vegas are generous as I'll definitely be doing more fragrance purchasing than gambling while in town!
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Vetiver 46 is quite similar to my nose, perhaps a bit more green. Another one that is similar is Gucci PH I, but its been discontinued and tough to find at a decent price. I dont see LDDM as having much in common with these 3, but definitely sniff it out anyways, its great stuff. Another CdG to try is Kyoto, and while you're at Barney's this weekend, do try Le Labo Patchouli 24, that stuff is campfire bottled.

Le Labo Patch is wonderful, but it's a potent chemical fire. Do not smell it first at the store, or your nose will be unable to smell anything else. Keep it for last.

cacio

Noted, hopefully not as much of a chemical mess as Rose 31. I found the synthetic rose vibe of it to be off-putting. But I'm definitely will to give the others in the line a try. I'll save the Patchouli for last as I'm guessing it's not a smooth Coromanel-esque Patchouli fragrance from your description.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Le Labo Patch is wonderful, but it's a potent chemical fire. Do not smell it first at the store, or your nose will be unable to smell anything else. Keep it for last.

cacio

And as long as you're going to be smelling Ouarzazate give Jaisalmer a sniff. They're my two favorites from the incense series and they will have them at Barney's in Vegas.. Regardless of what LDDM might be similar to it is worth a sniff. Good stuff.

I didn't know they have CDG at Barney's, now I'm really stoked to go there! Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    And as long as you're going to be smelling Ouarzazate give Jaisalmer a sniff. They're my two favorites from the incense series and they will have them at Barney's in Vegas.. Regardless of what LDDM might be similar to it is worth a sniff. Good stuff.

Vetiver 46. Both made by the same perfumer.

Maybe kinski a bit.

for swap/sale:

I revisited a test vial of Marc Jacobs Bang recently. The opening of Marc Jacobs Bang seems to share similarities in CDG 2 Man in it's dry-down.

Funny you should ask this question cause I am also looking for a incense frag that is a little easier to obtain than commes de garcons. I've realized that finding it from a designer house is going to be almost impossible because it is more of a niche smell but if someone knows of any, I'd love to know too!

I will say the people who said Kouros was an incense frag.......... uhhh no. lol

While both CgG2 and LDDM are very good, both are very apart.

LDDM IMO is much better of the 2, projects very well and women follow it (& u)...

My mom was an incense stick addict (for religious reasons) and I grew up smelling wonderful expensive, Indian made incenses. To me Avignon & Kyoto of CdG Series 3 are the best of their house.

Do try these 5:
    1 - Norma Kamali Incense (if u can get it - linear of all all other incense frags I've tried but it has Montale's projection & longevity)
    2 - By Kilian's Incense Oud
    3 - Sonoma Scents - Incense Pure
    4 - Amouage's Epic & Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Vetiver 46. Both made by the same perfumer.

Maybe kinski a bit.
    Is Kinski similar to L'Air Du Desert Marrocain?
    Last edited by TLS; 6th April 2013 at 05:00 PM.

I am not really looking for a predominant and overpowering incense fragrance. For example, Avignon I am not a fan of. It's far too cold, bitter and sharp for me. I have tried both incense fragrances from Sonoma Scents studio, Fireside and Pure which are both quite nice. Sheppy99, you may want to check those out as I don't know where you "designer" search for a good quality incense will lead you.

What I am seeking in something like CDG 2 Man is a light woody fragrance, with possibly the snuffed candle accord or warm incense that are very much in the background.

If you want something similar to CDG 2 Man, the only real option is Vetiver 46, which is almost like an EdP version of it.

The frankincense note in Gucci Pour Homme I is similar to the one in 2 Man, which is why many folks associate the two, but really, they're different overall fragrances.

If you're looking for a similar incensed lightness, rather than the same actual smell, try L'Artisan Timbuktu (a crisp radiant cedar/incense/green mango/vetiver composition -- fantastic). If you're willing to ditch the incense, CdG's Vettiveru is a fantastic light, woody fragrance. It would sit well as a fresh, less avant-garde cousin to CdG 2 Man.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    If you want something similar to CDG 2 Man, the only real option is Vetiver 46, which is almost like an EdP version of it.

The frankincense note in Gucci Pour Homme I is similar to the one in 2 Man, which is why many folks associate the two, but really, they're different overall fragrances.

If you're looking for a similar incensed lightness, rather than the same actual smell, try L'Artisan Timbuktu (a crisp radiant cedar/incense/green mango/vetiver composition -- fantastic). If you're willing to ditch the incense, CdG's Vettiveru is a fantastic light, woody fragrance. It would sit well as a fresh, less avant-garde cousin to CdG 2 Man.

I am contemplating purchasing Vetiver 46 after reading up on here. Would it be redundant to have both CDG 2 Man and V46? Of course, I am looking for something similar in composition but not exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I am contemplating purchasing Vetiver 46 after reading up on here. Would it be redundant to have both CDG 2 Man and V46? Of course, I am looking for something similar in composition but not exactly the same.
    IMO yes, it would be redundant as they're quite similar.

They're not exactly the same, but certainly quite similar. CdG 2 Man has a lighter, waxier impression, whereas Vetiver 46 evolves into a more vanilla-and-woods base, and is an eau de parfum instead of an eau de toilette. If you really love the overall feel of CdG 2 Man but want something richer and more robust (not necessarily better, as part of 2 Man's appeal is its odd freshness, but at least different), then you could justify having both. I suppose "redundant" depends on whether you like this basic structure well enough to enjoy a variation on it.

Thanks onthinline. I was contemplating a blind buy, but I think I'll pick up a sample during the next LuckyScent purchase. I would indeed like something that shares similarities w/ 2 Man and carries some more power behind it. 2 Man is more seductive and sensual but it is indeed missing more robust qualities.

I haven't really run across anything quite like 2 Man, but given your take on Avignon, the new Tom Ford incense one feels a bit warmer. You should certainly try the Tauer as it has become somewhat of a contemporary staple scent. Personally, I don't like it nearly as much, but it's certainly warmer and heading a little more in the direction of Interlude Man to my nose.

.......I would indeed like something that shares similarities w/ 2 Man and carries some more power behind it. 2 Man is more seductive and sensual but it is indeed missing more robust qualities.
    Part of 2 Man's appeal is its genius of compositional balance. It's the right weight, has good durability and diffusive capacity. If you want it more robust then spray on more. It is unique enough that nothing else will take its place. For dry woods (which 2 Man is) I prefer Timbuktu and Sycomore, but 2 Man is excellent. Much better than something like Vetiver 46, which might make a good first impression but, among other things, lacks the genius of compositional balance.

I have only tried CdG 2 Man once. I think Tauer L'Air settles much warmer and slightly sweeter, although it is a gorgeous scent on its own, one I would perhaps prefer over 2Man. Other than that, "Kyoto" settles pretty dry.

I'd suggest also checking out Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum (for L'Artisan) by B.Duchaufour.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Amouage Interlute Man gives me a similar vibe but it's much much much more potent. Also much much much more expensive. Gucci PH1 gets compared to 2 Man but there's only a slight similarity.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I agree. There's a lot of people here that say they smell exactly the same and that GPH 1 evolves more over the life of the fragrance. However, I believe that to be true of 2 Man, not GPH 1. I found GPH 1 to be rather linear to be honest, mostly cedar and light incense...smells somewhat like Dr. Pepper actually. CDG 2 Man has the candle smoke and lemony incense that waft around after an hour of so, which is simply stunning. I haven't tried Interlute Man, I'll have to give it a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Amouage Interlute Man gives me a similar vibe but it's much much much more potent. Also much much much more expensive. Gucci PH1 gets compared to 2 Man but there's only a slight similarity.

I'm getting Timbuktu in a swap. How similar are CDG 2 Man and Timbuktu, if at all related?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

treeman5823

L'Air does not smell much like CdG2; L'Air is more of a spicy oriental, and an incredible one at that. Zagorsk is a nice incense by CdG.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm getting Timbuktu in a swap. How similar are CDG 2 Man and Timbuktu, if at all related?
    In my opinion, Timbuktu is not similar to CdG 2 Man. Timbuktu is a floral vetiver, while the Garcons is a straight up frankincense/odd number aldehyde.

Timbuktu is a really nice scent, I think you'll like it a lot! It shares incense and Vetiver with CdG 2Man, but it's really quite different. Higher quality and more complex.

I reading a lot of mixed reviews and different reads on Timbuktu in general. Some say it smells like the original GPHI, Sycomore and 2 Man. I'll just be happy enough if it's in the same ballpark to be honest considering I enjoy all three of the previous mentioned fragrances tremendously.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

Basenotes Plus

Keep us posted on your evaluation of Timbuktu! I'm in the same boat as you - I own and love GPH I, Sycomore and CdG 2 Man, and have been eyeing Timbuktu for a while. If it's "in the same ballpark", it would be blind-buy worthy for me, at least. I love dry(er) woodsy fragrances that have some supporting scents with them, warm in the feeling, but not sickly sweet or flowery/vanilla/powder based. In other words, I don't care much for the über-dry monotone scents like Le Labo Santal 33, Montale Dark Aoud, etc. Would love to hear your take on Timbuktu.

BTW, have you tried CdG Wonderwood? While it doesn't have that incense you are looking for, it is another great hit from the CdG house - very nice fresh woodsy scent, a little "cool" feeling, sort of like walking in an enchanted forest at night - another favorite of mine.

I love Wonderwood, I just received my blindly bought bottle last week and I need to get more wears in but first impression is that I will enjoy it thoroughly in my rotation. I will definitely follow up if the swap goes through! If you haven't already give Mauboussin M Generation (really good incense/wood) a sniff along with Diptyque Tam Dao (awesome dry wood).

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Keep us posted on your evaluation of Timbuktu! I'm in the same boat as you - I own and love GPH I, Sycomore and CdG 2 Man, and have been eyeing Timbuktu for a while. If it's "in the same ballpark", it would be blind-buy worthy for me, at least. I love dry(er) woodsy fragrances that have some supporting scents with them, warm in the feeling, but not sickly sweet or flowery/vanilla/powder based. In other words, I don't care much for the über-dry monotone scents like Le Labo Santal 33, Montale Dark Aoud, etc. Would love to hear your take on Timbuktu.

BTW, have you tried CdG Wonderwood? While it doesn't have that incense you are looking for, it is another great hit from the CdG house - very nice fresh woodsy scent, a little "cool" feeling, sort of like walking in an enchanted forest at night - another favorite of mine.

I would agree that Timbuktu does not smell like CdG 2 Man, Gucci Pour Homme I, or the others mentioned, but it does indeed belong to the same general category. It has a transparency and radiance which is quite remarkable, and similar to what Mark Buxton was achieving with his fragrances for CdG. The only fragrance that reminds me a bit of Timbuktu is CdG Kyoto, though I see Kyoto as "thicker" and more cedar-laden. Timbuktu to me bears similarities to Cartier Declaration and Le Labo Rose 31, in that it combines spice, woods, and vetiver into an composition which is multifaceted but radiant and "airy." Those familiar with all three of these scents will know what I mean, I suspect.

In any event, I think Timbuktu is fantastic, though it will likely require a little getting to know before it really makes its case.