Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default my trip to the mall, dior homme, gucci pour homme ii and more

I went to the mall to buy a few things and stopped in a few stores (like Sephora and Bloomingdales)that sold fragrances to sample the designers. I've sampled very little over the past 6 months, so this was largely a refresher.

My thoughts.

- I tried Dior Homme. People were talking about the reformulation and how bad it was. I can't confirm whether it's becuase of the reformulation or because of my changing tastes, but I do notice a big difference. It's much less smooth, a bit more drier and spicier. It was really high on my to-buy list but now it isn't. I'll have to revisit it, but I'm happy I didn't buy it now. It's probably 80% the same as i remember it to be, but it's certainly missing something.

- Of all the fragrances I tried (probably about 50 of them, i took breaks in between), I liked Gucci Pour Homme II the most, so I purchased it at the Sephora (my first purchase in months, as i'm a bit less crazy about frags as i used to be). It just stood out from all the rest I've tried and it stood out as the best one. I've worn it for a few hours, and I really love it. I think it will easily be in my top favorites in the designer game.

- I appreciated Angel Men a little more, and Platinum Egoiste a lot more this time around. I think those two are likely on my wishlist, after I get some Silver Mountain Water in a few months.

- I tried Havane again since it's limited edition (it's good, but i'd never buy it). As for the Chanels, I tried the Allure flankers again and I still don't like them. I still like Egoiste, but not nearly as much as I remember.

- I liked Dior Homme Sport, ADG Ezzensa and Bulgari Black a little more than when I tried it last time, but I still am not sure if I would buy it.

- Still not a fan of any of generic Pradas, John Varvatos, TDH, YSL Libre, LIDG, any of the designer Tom Fords. I tried Paco Rabanne Pour Homme for the first time, and didn't like it. It smelled like one of the awful scents that Cartier would make. And D&G The One, sorry, way overrated, at least to me.

- I like Spicebomb a little less, maybe because of it's mainstream exposure, but still. La Nuit (as with Bleu De Chanel), I'm on the fence and need to give more time, as my mood toward it changes frequently.

- I think I'm largely done with testing designer scents for a while. It was good to get a refresher, but most of the stuff there doesn't hold my interest (though there still is some good stuff). I am going to sample niche and going to write some brief reviews, but overall, I'm taking things a lot more slowly.

Default Re: my trip to the mall, dior homme, gucci pour homme ii and more

^^^^ Love reading fragrance shopping safari stories. Good one. I hit the local malls now and then, trying to uncover hidden gems. Big scores sometimes - M7 for $40, Cacharel pour Homme for $35, Gucci pour Homme travel size for $35 - those are some of my latest. But eventually you will run out of gems if you don't have a few quirky, out of the way fragrance shops to hit. Department store shopping can be pretty grim. Congrats on picking up Gucci Pour Homme II -- seems to me like it's being withdrawn from the market. Buy now, before it becomes rare and expensive. Sure would love to find a nice big bottle of Gucci pour Homme at non-premium price. The big, heavy, chunky bottle -- so cool and luxurious -- it's screaming "buy now, before corporate bean counters put it in some cheap, nondescript packaging." Of course the scent is great, too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

GPHII is one of the best looking designer bottles i've seen. It's not discontinued, but I have a feeling it may be in a few years. I get your reference at the end lol. YSL lol.

m7 is an amazing fragrance. nice find.

Sounds like you had quite a day. Talk about olfactory fatigue. La Nuit and Bleu are very nice, you should definitely revisit them on their own, if you got samples. Bleu especially.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I didn't really suffer from much olfactory fatigue since i took breaks. i would try 6 scents, and then take a 5 minute break and try 6 more. I've tried Bleu quite a bit, and ironically, I think I have a 1ml decant somewhere in my sample box. La Nuit though I'm more interested in.

I brought another bottle of GPHII a month ago. Haven't opened it yet. Still waiting until I finish the bottle I purchased two years ago. One of the better designer frags out right now IMO. I enjoy the older designer frags quite better than a lot of these new ones. A lot of these new ones are quite generic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    La Nuit though I'm more interested in.
    Get the Le Parfum version before it's out of circulation. A strong improvement over the original, IMO. Fairly inexpensive right now. Seems like a good candidate for price increase. Gets better with repeated wearings. Generally a big hit with women, I might add. . .

I have the EDT, which is a monster. I can't imagine how potent the EDP is. Also, I've never seen it in stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Get the Le Parfum version before it's out of circulation. A strong improvement over the original, IMO. Fairly inexpensive right now. Seems like a good candidate for price increase. Gets better with repeated wearings. Generally a big hit with women, I might add. . .

Interesting about the Dior Homme. I'm hoping I can find a tester locally and see if I notice any difference from my small decant. I'm actually not sure which version I have. Got it in a swap a few months back. The first time I tested it, I sort of wrote it off...the iris seemed a bit much and it just didn't impress me. Today, however, while reorganizing all of my samples/decants I gave it a quick sniff and this time it really drew me in. I wore it for most of the day, loved it, and am sold on purchasing a bottle now. I just want to make sure it's either the reform or that if I do smell the reform, I still like it as much.

Oh, & congrats on the GPHII purchase. I remember your thoughts on it from a while back when you seemed on the fence about it. Glad you now really like it. It's definitely a good one & I'm very happy to have that beautiful 100 ml bottle in my collection.

More congrats on the GPH II purchase. Great fragrance.

Nice reading. I agree with huge part of your post. Congrats on buying Gucci PH II, It is wonderfull.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

When I go to the mall I'll usually try 6-10 scents max. I don't mind using the cards but I find when I place them in a bag/pocket the scents would obviously mix thus trying them was a waste of time. Now I'll place each card in a different pocket and spray one each on either wrist then I'll leave the store for 30 mins allow them to dry down then I'll evaluate them.

Many frags are top loaded so this has saved me from bad purchases with frags that offer little more than a promising opening but of course it's true many improve after the top notes fade.

Dude, you skipped over the key to all stories taking place in a mall. Did you get an Orange Julius?

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    When I go to the mall I'll usually try 6-10 scents max. I don't mind using the cards but I find when I place them in a bag/pocket the scents would obviously mix thus trying them was a waste of time. Now I'll place each card in a different pocket and spray one each on either wrist then I'll leave the store for 30 mins allow them to dry down then I'll evaluate them.

Many frags are top loaded so this has saved me from bad purchases with frags that offer little more than a promising opening but of course it's true many improve after the top notes fade.
    Nearly the same way that I use to select and buy fragrances, and almost never misguided me!

Sound Scents

I went to the mall to buy a few things and stopped in a few stores (like Sephora and Bloomingdales)that sold fragrances to sample the designers.

My thoughts.

- I tried Dior Homme. People were talking about the reformulation and how bad it was. I can't confirm whether it's becuase of the reformulation or because of my changing tastes, but I do notice a big difference. It's much less smooth, a bit more drier and spicier. It was really high on my to-buy list but now it isn't. I'll have to revisit it, but I'm happy I didn't buy it now. It's probably 80% the same as i remember it to be, but it's certainly missing something.

I tried Paco Rabanne Pour Homme for the first time, and didn't like it. It smelled like one of the awful scents that Cartier would make. And D&G The One, sorry, way overrated, at least to me.

- I think I'm largely done with testing designer scents for a while. It was good to get a refresher, but most of the stuff there doesn't hold my interest (though there still is some good stuff).
    The problem is you are sampling designers from the wrong places, IMO... You are not going to have a good idea of most of the designer scents out there by going to Sephora, Bloomies and the like. They are selling current/latest flavor of the week or month releases, and sometimes carry reformulated classics (that rarely smell anything like their vintage formulations). If you want to get a good look at what the classics really smell like you need to seek out vintage bottles/samples and skip stores like Sephora for all but the latest releases, IMO.

Paco Rabanne is a good example of this.... You say you smelled it for the first time.... I say you still have not smelled it, because the current release smells nothing like it used to smell like when it was all the rage to my nose, at least...

All that said, congrats on your GpH II choice...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Great buying of Gucci II. Hope you enjoy it!. Also, Bleu de Chanel and YSL La Nuit deserve imo a second chance.
    Funny thing, just yesterday I bought a vintage bottle of M7 collecting dust in a local store and now I'm in the hunt for a big sized bottle of Gucci PH II, before it hits the ebay astronomical prices. These two beauties were, not long ago, in my 'undecided over dislike' list and now I'm craving for more.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Of all the ones you tested, I would've bought the same one that you did ;-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

drseid, i agree about the pattern of reformulations, however, we have completely different tastes. i'm generally not interested in musty animalic 70's powerhouses. i do prefer more modern scents.

Basenotes Junkie

Good read. It's interesting to hear about other peoples thoughts and experiences on shopping for frags somewhere other than online. I might just have to go to the mall this weekend and do some sampling of my own. GpH II has been on my "next to buy" list for some time now. I think it would be great for this coming spring weather.

Sound Scents

drseid, i agree about the pattern of reformulations, however, we have completely different tastes. i'm generally not interested in musty animalic 70's powerhouses. i do prefer more modern scents.
    We may indeed have very different tastes, but while I do love my 70s and 80s powerhouses (though I would not classify most of them as musty and/or animalic) I love my modern releases and non-powerhouse classics as well. Just for reference, 10 of the 15 scents in my signature below are from 2000 or later (and only Giorgio for Men and VIP for Men are powerhouses).

I just don't think one should dismiss a scent based on a reformulation that smells different than was originally released. The only way you know what *was* initially released is to seek out the original formulation for comparison purposes at minimum. That does not mean you will like "scent A" in its vintage/original formulation, but it at least gives you a solid foundation for knowing if what you are currently smelling is what was intended and whether the original ever meshed with your tastes.
    Last edited by drseid; 5th April 2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Tastes clarification language added to the end of the first paragraph.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I think I may slightly prefer the Dior Homme reformulation to the original juice.

(GASP! How dare he say such blasphemy!)

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    I think I may slightly prefer the Dior Homme reformulation to the original juice.

Like every reform of the Homme line, but this one. The vintage is a masterpiece. It's all about the iris in DH vintage and that's what they neutered in the reform. No thanks.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Dude, you skipped over the key to all stories taking place in a mall. Did you get an Orange Julius?
    Or a Cinnabon? Or Starbucks in my case? (see my tastes)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post

You're just sick, man.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Nice reading. I agree with huge part of your post. Congrats on buying Gucci PH II, It is wonderfull.
    me too.

The new version of dior homme is way different to me from the old
    version in terms of quality.

Congrats on the GPHII - definitely worth picking up!