Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD: Friday 5th April 2013

Good morning all !. Joining in todays synch with ELDO Tom of Finland.

Seemed pretty medicinal and aldehydic at the outset but mellowing out into a fairly pleasant saffron / suede affair with a little vanilla gradually coming into play. Quite enjoyable overall, but there is still something underlying that is slightly rubbery and just a tad off-putting. OK, but probably not for me ultimately.

Both off work today so shortly headed for our favourite local coffee spot.

Not only is their stem ginger cake the stuff of legend, they also stock Creed and Trumper in their main shop (a stunning converted barn) so some sniffing may follow. Why change the habit of a lifetime
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 5th April 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Default Re: SotD: Friday 5th April 2013

Hello all. A sample of MPG Cuir Fetiche
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

L'Artisan Séville à l'Aube.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Jon, l know what you mean about that slightly off-putting rubbery note; it reminded me of latex medical gloves! Have a lovely day out.

l'm wearing 1000 Kisses by Gorilla Perfumes for work today. Roll on the weekend, it's been a long week!

Have a great Friday, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Today I'm a golden boy in Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue. So gorgeous! I just got a decant and I foresee a bottle in near future

Being on a Prada kick today I reviewed Prada Candy L'Eau at Chemist in the Bottle. If someone's interested, you can read it here.

Caron French Cancan from a sample.

Good friday to everyone
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Cool Water Frozen Fragrance.
    Pretty beautiful opening and horrible longevity and projection!
    Nice scent for just uplifting!
    Therefore maybe I'm going to have several scents of the day!!!!!

Good morning everyone! Friday is here

I get so busy during the day, I don't usually have time to get back to the SOTD thread til I catch up the next day. And yesterdays was a doozy!! Q with her wine phone, fabulous! Mike and Q in the closet, S-P-R-A-Y-I-N-G. Can you imagine the cloud of scent in there tho, wow, I want a whiff!! The line about Mike being bludgeoned by Jeeves with a Manhattan had me in stitches Evangeline! I love that you're getting the Pivoine Rose! That was so kind of you ExtremeK. Basenoters are truly the best! PerfumedLady, I had never thought of the aldehydes creating a sense of being in the salon and getting glamorously done up for the evening. That's brilliant, and exactly how they make me feel now that you say it.

Beautiful pictures, lovely music, kind and thoughtful people sharing their treasures and encouraging each other. What is not to love and be charmed by. I just want to give you all a giant hug! Every day you people make me smile, so thank you!

I'm wearing my Amber Oud from Kilian today. Darn it all, I still like it, maybe love it, and it is sooooo expensive. I'm holding my sample and stroking it, and going all "my precious" on it. The only thing worse is if I get like that on the Mona di Orio Oud after a couple more wears.

Basenotes Plus

Jon, what wonderful photos. Ginger cake!! My mouth watered at reading that, I'm not even kidding. Enjoy your day. xx

SOTD is Love, Chloe. If you are a fan of powdery scents, like I am, you'll love this. It's beautiful, a modern take on the nostalgic smell of face powder.

Notes include orange blossom, pink pepper, iris absolute, lilac, hyacinth, wisteria blossom, heliotropine, powdery musks, talc and rice powder.

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Bonjour Mesdames!

Knize Two is my favorite of their whole line, not Ten. It was also one of my fragrant discoveries last year, with a kind BNer's help.

Random sample sync? OK, my hand just had to grab Penhaligon's Artemisia (Ellenisia is my favorite, remember?) and it is all right, nothing to write home about though.

Now I've put on Zino by Davidoff.

Hello everyone!

I'm playing tennis this morning, so I'm in Chanel Bel Respiro, my current on-court bff.

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    The line about Mike being bludgeoned by Jeeves with a Manhattan had me in stitches Evangeline! I love that you're getting the Pivoine Rose! That was so kind of you ExtremeK. Basenoters are truly the best!
    Here's how it works - I already have it, but I'm almost out so I'll need more soon. ExtremeK wants it but has never smelled it, so I told her if she blind-buys it and doesn't like it then I'll buy it from her or swap her for it, so she said she'd do it - hooray! I don't know if she took the plunge yet - she said she might last night, so we'll have to wait and see, but it's really a win-win deal for both of us.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Good morning everyone! Friday is here

I get so busy during the day, I don't usually have time to get back to the SOTD thread til I catch up the next day. And yesterdays was a doozy!! Q with her wine phone, fabulous! Mike and Q in the closet, S-P-R-A-Y-I-N-G. Can you imagine the cloud of scent in there tho, wow, I want a whiff!! The line about Mike being bludgeoned by Jeeves with a Manhattan had me in stitches Evangeline! I love that you're getting the Pivoine Rose! That was so kind of you ExtremeK. Basenoters are truly the best! PerfumedLady, I had never thought of the aldehydes creating a sense of being in the salon and getting glamorously done up for the evening. That's brilliant, and exactly how they make me feel now that you say it.

Beautiful pictures, lovely music, kind and thoughtful people sharing their treasures and encouraging each other. What is not to love and be charmed by. I just want to give you all a giant hug! Every day you people make me smile, so thank you!

I'm wearing my Amber Oud from Kilian today. Darn it all, I still like it, maybe love it, and it is sooooo expensive. I'm holding my sample and stroking it, and going all "my precious" on it. The only thing worse is if I get like that on the Mona di Orio Oud after a couple more wears.

Oh! I miised all of that. No way. I'm going to have a look!

Jon, your favourite coffee shop looks and sounds great! Enjoy yourselves.

SL Ambre Sultan for the surprise sample synch today.

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Friday 5th April 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Jon, l know what you mean about that slightly off-putting rubbery note; it reminded me of latex medical gloves! Have a lovely day out. Have a great Friday, everyone!
    I know what you both mean! I get that note in Don't Get Me Wrong, Baby, Jasmine et Cigarettes, and their notorious Secretions Magnifique. I kind of like it, but not in JeC which spoils the jasmine for me, I think.

Got my first US paycheck today, woohoo! Will be taking Mr. to dinner tonight

I don't want to shock impressionable people at work with lucky sample dip, (which might not be so lucky after all), but the Indulgence that is Friday calls for tuberose -

HdP Tubereuse 1 - Capricieuse

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    This is excellent - I'll bet the Mr. is mighty proud! Y'all have a fantastic dinner - I'll be sure to raise one to you this evening!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Creed Original Vetiver

Thank you, Evangeline, we will .

Good afternoon.

Sotd is Enchanted Forest, from a sample.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Pegasus by Parfums de Marly

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Ambre Canelle this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Afternoon All,

Congrats, Whitefluffy ! Enjoy your special meal tonight with the Mr.

House twins with Foustie today: Chergui.

Best to all.

Basenotes Institution

In Sync in:

Wood & Absinthe by Marc Buxton (a sample I think I got from my buddy petruccijc)

Nothing special going on here. Lot's of synthetic woods and absinthe notes floating here-and-there. Strongly forgettable.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm in synch! A random decant grab of vintage Niki de Saint Phalle. Good lord, is this ever a power fragrance! I always loved the bottle with the colorful snakes, but I never owned this back in the day. It has that 1980s mint/melon thing that doesn't work today for me, but otherwise it is still gorgeous. Just not for me. I'll be scrubbing later.

Love to everybody. ♥

Whitefluffy, how wonderful! Enjoy your evening celebration!
    Mrs. E, go kick some butt on the court, cause you smell fabulous and they have no chance against such formidable confidence

I totally missed the synch, and I have been sampling alot lately. I just wanted to hold a bottle and spray

Delrae Bois de Paradis won out on a rather random bottle grab, but I always love this one.

L'Instant Extreme

elizrj-Amber Oud is nice and yes, expensive!

WF-Congrats!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Evangeline, I must have gotten all turned around in all the peony fields you all were generating yesterday My flowers should be coming up soon and I adore them. So I guess you both are just awarded the "too sweet!" crown. If you're right, she won't pass it on to you, but fall in love with it herself. I think I really need to smell this peony fragrance.

Kaili, I'm planning on buying one bottle when I'm on vacation of something I typically wouldn't. However, I was thinking "well I should set aside $150 or so for that". Rats! Oh, and then this week I tried Mona di Orio's Oud. Wow... on my skin that just smelled heavenly. Like attach-my-wrist-to-my-nose heavenly. Double Rats!

(((elizrj))), thank you! It's so nice having you back here, you have such a wonderful and cheerful presence! We really are lucky to have some very special people here!

It's a rare occassion-Twolf and I share a perfume love! Knize Two may just find it's way into my home someday. It's fantastic. I think your Briar Rose was the last time our noses were in sync, also lovely.

Whitefluffy, how exciting! You've worked so hard to be where you are and I know how much it means to you. Very happy for you and proud of my friend! Have a great time treating Mr. W tonight! Btw, you smell bee-yoo-ti-ful! But I bet you knew that.

CdG Vettiveru was my blind sample grab. Mike keeps coming up with phrases I want to steal; this time, "Strongly forgettable". Vettiveru is nice enough but is on the verge of boring me to tears. And there's no crying on TGIF!

Hugs all around!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    This is excellent - I'll bet the Mr. is mighty proud! Y'all have a fantastic dinner - I'll be sure to raise one to you this evening!
    Beat you to it Mrs E !. Delightfully crisp bottle of Italian Pinot Grigio on the go here accompanied by a bowl of assorted olives - just the job for a lazy Friday afternoon.

SotE - Portrait of a Lady.

Wishing everyone a great weekend .

Hilarious, Jon! Now that is something. You're cracking me up!
    The nose wants what it wants!

elizrj- I haven't tried any Mona scents yet. I too would like a full bottle of that Amber Oud. Santa? LOL..Christmas in July anyone?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

In sync with my sample pick - Laurence Dumont Vanille Violette.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Delrae Bois de Paradis won out on a rather random bottle grab, but I always love this one.
    Cello, this is probably just me, but when I sampled Bois de Paradis the other night, it strongly reminded me of Ava Luxe Bois Exotique. (Scent cousins, perhaps?) Unfortunately, BdP did not develop well on me, so I'll be happy in my BE.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    I know what you both mean! I get that note in Don't Get Me Wrong, Baby, Jasmine et Cigarettes, and their notorious Secretions Magnifique. I kind of like it, but not in JeC which spoils the jasmine for me, I think.

Congratulations, Whitefluffy! Positivity and determination can take a person far. Well done -- and enjoy your supper! You're the first person I've encountered who also detects that rubbery note in Jasmine et Cigarettes. It ruins the scent for me, too. Except I call it "vinyl shower curtain accord."

PerfumedLady, thank you so very much for the offer! I did in fact order the EDP last night, so, Evangeline, we'll see what happens. Elizrj, please PM if you'd like a sample; PerfumedLady, you, too, if you want to check the difference between the extrait and the EDP.

I owe a couple of people some packages, including Quarry for the Peoneve sample pass, so I'm hoping to get those posted tomorrow.

Today is Histoires de Parfums 1804 George Sand. Juicy, pineapple-y awesomeness.

Scrubbed Artemisia off. Next!

PL, not true, we have several more that we both like.

WF, congratulations. You will always remember it as your first, I am sure. Get yourself something indulgent, no matter the price, even if at the moment it seems sheer folly.

Awww, thank you PerfumedLady!

Kalli, did you notice you can buy a refill of it for $185 vs. the $395 for the bottle? Hmmmm, I think I could find a pretty bottle to put it into for less than $210 ;P Oh, and that Mona di Orio oud is well worth sampling. I only have 1/2ml sample or I'd send you some. But beware, it's lovely and $500

ExtremeK, thank you so much for that thought! See, exactly what I said, Basenoters are the best I look forward very much to hearing your thoughts on the scent. I may have to take you up on that if you turn into a raving fan as well. This stuff must be special

Elizrj- Thanks, though I wasn't trying to sound like I wanted a sample from ya!. $500?? No thanks. I didn't know one could get a refill for cheaper. And yes, I would put it in whatever bottle to save that much money! Or perhaps if there was a split, that might be worth looking into.

Oh Kalli, please don't worry, you didn't at all. I just wanted someone else to feel my pain ;P I'm like a perfume pusher. Get you hooked on the juice, then drop the crazy price on you ... *insert evil laugh here* muahahahaha

Matin Calin for me. It is something I never wear any more.

Basenotes Plus

Whitefluffy, Congratulations, enjoy your evening out tonight!

Wore Aquolina Chocolovers this morning. Fun fragrance and better
    than some other chocolate fragrances out there. Wearing Creed
    Aubepine Acacia
    , this afternoon, very nice citrus opening. Both
    samples from wonderfully generous BN members.

Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert for this morning/afternoon. Ooh, it's finally feeling like spring.

Good afternoon, all. I'm wearing another Estee Lauder today - Azuree. Splendid scent for a splendid day!

Blog Entries

Evening all!

Lovely post elizrj, hugs back atcha!

SOTE is Habanita, & l'm looking forward to a weekend off!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bal a Versailles this afternoon. My earlier fragrance was a scrubber. It's getting very close to wine o'clock here, too!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

L'Antichambre ~ Le Chocolat Ambre.

Samsara, EDP from a mini bottle. Smells so much like Tuscany Per Donna, not sure if I would need a fb.

Hey y'all -

Well, Happy Hour started a bit early here, but not as early as yours Jon, lol. That 6-hr. time difference gives you a bit of an advantage, wouldn't you say? Things are finally winding down after a rather hectic day ...you were absolutely right gandhajala, the first drink of a Friday afternoon is the sweetest after all. We've got some fancy dinner plans later, so for now we're just chillin' ...already dressed for the evening, Duke Ellington's playin' and Tony's mixin' the cocktails, so I'd say we're set for a while. And I'm in L'Heure Bleue, vintage-80s parfum. Have a wonderful night everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Mrs. E, go kick some butt on the court, cause you smell fabulous and they have no chance against such formidable confidence
    Thanks - I did! It was a very good day out on court.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I did in fact order the EDP last night, so, Evangeline, we'll see what happens.
    Oh good - now we just have to wait 3 months or so for it to arrive, lol! I really think/hope you'll love it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, Whitefluffy! Definitely cause for celebration!

Wow, thank you so much, oh kind and generous BN folk, for such sweet words. It means a world to me . (Joining PerfumedLady in the "hugs all around" activity). You truly are a beautiful thing, BN firends: with you sad days are less and good days are much more.

Twolf - I would have taken your advice first thing this morning, but I already treated moi with slew of perfumes in anticipation . My most notable acquisitions included YSL's sadly discontinued NU with matching body cream, and very little known but no less beautiful Jinx by Tommi Sooni. The last one was particularly special because a) I waited year and a half; b) got very lucky at Luckyscent when they, I suspect by accident, slashed the price in a half; and c) I have a sneaking suspicion (might be wrong) that Australian perfumers are not held back by IFRA restrictions, hence lots of oakmoss and other goodies in their perfumes.

Your evening, Evangeline, sounds very posh

ExtremeK - I am going back and forth on JeC. I had 20 percent coupon at Parfum1, but that note made me hesitate.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

SOTD: Jicky EDP
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Samsara- for the workday and maybe an evening out, too.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

summer means fireflys

In synch with Le Labo Santal 33 ... reached in my one of my many sample boxes and pulled out this. Oh my, it is NOT sitting well on my skin today. yuck. I think I might be on the verge of sick or something and this is certainly not helping. According to the fragrance directory, I wore this in December. I don't remember having such a bad reaction to it then, so it's probably not the Santal, it's me. I don't think we will be spending any more time together.

Happy Friday, eveyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Caron Pour Un Homme tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Every muscle hurts this PM, blame the changing wind? moving in humidity? old age?

Sonia Rykiel Le Parfum.