Code of Conduct

Default Tom Fords Italian Cypress - So Impressed I Purchased It On The Spot

Well I went out to the shops intending to buy the new Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir and ended up testing out half a dozen fragrances sprayed onto the provided cards as you do and this one stood out as really good.

It smells fantastic and it made the other scents I was trying look one dimensional and boring. It's very green and refreshing with citrus notes to start with then the stunning cypress notes on a resinous woody backdrop follow closely.

It has a combination of fresh green notes with the warmth of woodsy notes, it's hard to find the words to describe it but I love this fragrance that I just had to have it. Happy Days

Default Re: Tom Fords Italian Cypress - So Impressed I Purchased It On The Spot

Congrats! I've been wanting to check that one out.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

I will have to go to Bergdorf and check it out. Enjoy!

Glad you liked it. Unfortunately, personally didn't care for it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I own 2 back-up bottles: this and Creed Aventus.

I love how it's refreshing and green but also warm with the spicy woods. I have nothing like this in my wardrobe so it is a good edition.

Grabbed a bargain on eBay for this one, and I'm very glad I did. Highly underrated fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it. It is definitely unique . I hope I can buy it in the near future . It is on my long list of fragrances to purchase

Post Thanks / Like

It's very nice.

Tom Ford just does it right.

I'm not a fan of everything he does but can recognize the effort in the blend.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised at all you like it so much. I like the dry down.

I got a bottle from a basenoter had sample it beforehand a few months ago. For some reason I thought it would be summer scent(was thinking of Lavander Palm which I now dislike since it smell like BO imo). I love Italian Cypress to me it has a catholic church smell to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is a great frag for me. Very classic with a contemporary spin...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

This is one of my absolute favorite fragrances. It's barely minty, spicy, woody, green and the quality is clearly high. It smells reminiscent of older times yet doesn't have a dated feel like many of the older scents do. I've received plenty of compliments from younger and older women and its always nice to have someone tell you "You smell like a man should." Not that I care too much about compliments, it just showing it's well received and isn't your run of the mill fragrance either which is often a separate pair.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

I too enjoy it. I find it very smokey and green. One of my favorites from the Tom Ford line. Got this one for a bargain on ebay. I would say this is more of a winter/spring fragrance as it can get over powering if worn during the warmer months.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, I don't get smoky from it.

Have you tried pre-2012 Halston Z-14 Jack?

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

I like it very much and wanted to purchase the large size for $495. The problem is it comes as a splash bottle with an atomizer. I will never purchase another splash bottle again. The scent loses potency IMO.

Eventually I will break down and buy the 100ml spray bottle for $280 but the larger size is a way better deal per ml.

The 1.7oz spray is a rip off for the price.

Enjoy. I am somewhat jealous of you !

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it when I tried it, but I knew it reminded me of something and I couldn't determine what it was. I finally read a post on here where someone said it smelled like the old Polo green. Bingo...that was it! I think it smells very much like Polo, only smoother. But the comparison to Polo totally ruined it for me. Maybe it shouldn't have, but it did.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Batucada, Balle de Match) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-L-Artisan-PdN

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Selection Verte, Bois de Santal, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel, L'Artisan, Parfums de Nicolai) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Post Thanks / Like

I need to revisit this one. I kind of established my top 5 Tom Ford's early on and should go back and retry some of them. I recall it was good, but reminded me of original Halston Z-14 (but it was so long ago they could be farther apart that I recall). Also Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir is a winner. I might have to get a bottle.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Monkeybars: I have not heard of Halston and never tried any of their frags, I'm gathering that it smells like IC.

thatmakesscents: I agree with you on the price they charge and I could not justify the eye watering price for any bottle over 50ml.lol And thanks I will enjoy as I really love the cypress notes in this which I really have not experienced before. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I may be excommunicated from the Tom Ford Fan Club for saying this, but Italian Cypress is my favorite from his line that I own. The cypress note just "clicks" with me and my skin and it smells absolutely wonderful, glad to see it has quite a few fans as it means it may be less likely to be discontinued,
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I really like it too. In fact I'm heading back to my office from Saks and just smelled it again. My faves in his line changed today. IC, Oud Wood and a new contender Azure Lime...won't last but seems nice for Summer. I couldn't stop sniffing the lime. Also tested some Bonds. Glad you got the IC Jack
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th April 2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you enjoy this one, JH. It's one of my favorites from the TF line. The cypress note is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I liked it when I tried it, but I knew it reminded me of something and I couldn't determine what it was. I finally read a post on here where someone said it smelled like the old Polo green. Bingo...that was it! I think it smells very much like Polo, only smoother. But the comparison to Polo totally ruined it for me. Maybe it shouldn't have, but it did.
    Totally agree with the above. What Chanel did to vetiver to create Sycomore (smooth out the rough edges), Tom Ford did to Polo Green . I see it as a "Chanel-lified" Polo Green. A very good fragrance., I just wish it was more affordable.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Monkeybars: I have not heard of Halston and never tried any of their frags, I'm gathering that it smells like IC.
    Halston is a classic designer that had some big hits in the 70s. One was Z-14, which is a terrific classic masculine (Turin gives it 5 stars) from '74 and was the clear inspiration for IC. It was reformulated disastrously some time in 2011, but the older juice can still be found very cheaply online. I find it slightly more complex and interesting, but less deep and rich, than IC. The reformulated juice is missing oakmoss from the ingredients on the box (only lists treemoss), so it's easy to determine which you've got.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a favorite of mine from Tom Ford. Still trying to sell off my blind-bought decant. It reminds me too much of Halston Z-14 which I don't particulaly enjoy.

I sampled this in Montreal in December and as soon as I got back to NYC, I bought it in Bergdorf Goodman. It has great longevity and projection - I smell it 24 hours later when I get up. I got a small bottle sample of Tuscan Leather when I bought it and enjoy that too. Italian Cypress is an extremely classy fragrance.

Interesting that you mention (a) Cartier Declaration (flanker) and Italian Cypress in the same post...

Cartier Declaration was our 'romantic scent' until Mrs JTB got a whiff of Italian Cypress. Now IC is our 'romantic scent'...

Post Thanks / Like

Id like to buy a 10ml decant of this. Or should i get the halston? Does it smell old school though?

Quote Originally Posted by NenMaster View Post
    Id like to buy a 10ml decant of this. Or should i get the halston? Does it smell old school though?
    It depends if you have smelled the Halston before and have past associations. For me I have never smelled the halston or any other cologne like this so I have no past associations with older colognes from other era's. To me the fragrance is like they took the smells of a Mediterranean garden and bottled it. The cypress note is amazing in this though I will say the frag is very masculine in a way most of todays scents are not though most definitely not dated, too me anyway.

I don't find this smokey. I find a bucket of cinnamon with some woods and musk in the background. I love it but still deciding if its too much cinnamon.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I don't find this smokey. I find a bucket of cinnamon with some woods and musk in the background. I love it but still deciding if its too much cinnamon.
    I have only worn it once and I'm going to make it my SOTD tomorrow but I found it to be really green and piney, must be the cypress note. I did not get a lot of smoke but the woods did feel a little smoky like smouldering woods that have been in the direct sunlight for to long. I don't remember picking up on the cinnamon, must have been focused on other notes.

It's great when you come across a frag that wows you and you experience something new, and before this scent I had not really smelled a good cypress based scent before. I love this stuff!

I don't get any smoky aspects of the fragrance either. It's green, barely minty, spicy and very woody. It's more of a dark heavy green than anything light. Absolutely fantastic and I hope Tom Ford keeps it permanently in his line and even comes out with a 100 ml because all my others are 100 ml while Italian Cypress is the sore thumb in the 50 ml.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The first time I tried Italian Cypress I was immediately reminded of Aramis Devin.
    I think the reason why the similarity is so strong to my nose is that I am very sensitive to cinnamon (which I love).
    Devin strikes me as a "green cinnamon" fragrance.
    If it is the green cinnamon aspect of Italian Cypress that most appeals to you, then you should definitely sample Devin.
    Devin is a little darker and more masculine than Italian Cypress which may also give you a pleasant alternative.

Perhaps vintage Z-14 is even closer, but I have not had the opportunity to try it to experience how they have done their cinnamon note.

I find the closer and more superior to Halston z-14. I find Devin similar and in some cases better than Polo Green. I must admit to JH that I can see the smokiness he alludes us to. I had to be consciously looking for it. I do detect the coniferous pine and cyprus. I love this stuff as well. Very timeless and classy. I will be ordering a full bottle soon!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?