Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    I know lots of you guys to similar things and I think it's a really good idea to a.) get some control and b.) make purchasing more exciting and aspirational (i.e, if you have to work/wait for things they always feel better)

    So my new budgeting system is to set a £75.00 ($115) budget per month for fragrances and no exceptions. I cannot go over this amount! If I only spend £25.00 in one month, £50 gets rolled over to the next month, giving me a total of £125.00. I have drawn up a spread sheet with my 10 most wanted fragrances in order of when I want to buy them, along with the price. The sheet is all formulated so that I can see how long I have to wait to get what I want. Some months I cannot buy anything as £75.00 won't cover it and therefore I have to wait 2 months for some of the frags I want.

    For me this is really important, because whilst I have not compromised anything to buy my frags, I do have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, 2 cars etc etc, so I need to pull the reigns in a bit. I am by nature a very impulsive and 'All or nothing' person and get carried away wanting everything NOW! In the 6 months that I have been collecting I have bought (imo) too many fragrances and have sold a lot that I blind bought and ended up not liking. I currently have 38 full bottles and I am comfortable with that, but I see myself as not wanting to ever go over 50. My rule is to not have any fragrance that is less than 8/10 in my collection and I can say that all 38 that I have kept are at least an 8/10. Being that I do not intend to blind buy and more and have started to sample instead, this should be much easier to stick to

    Thanks for reading my ramblings :-)
    Last edited by Dailey; 5th April 2013 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,270

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Good for you, Dailey. I wish I had your self-control. :-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  3. #3

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Good for you, Dailey. I wish I had your self-control. :-)
    Well mate, I've only just decided to do this, so I haven't actually exercised any control yet :-)

  4. #4

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    I knew this was coming up!

    When I replied to you in an other thread stating I bought my 40 bottles in 15 years... well I have to give you some more info!

    Years and years ago I only had Le Male and A*Men. Then when One Million came out I bought it too. So 40 - 3 = 37.

    From the 37 bottles I got 5 as a present.

    Well... I end up buying about 30 bottles in 6 months!

    Sometimes I say it's too much... but then I end up saying that I only live once and that I could do a lot worse with that money!

    Still threads like this are useful... from time to time... ;-)

    Good luck buddy!!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I knew this was coming up!

    When I replied to you in an other thread stating I bought my 40 bottles in 15 years... well I have to give you some more info!

    Years and years ago I only had Le Male and A*Men. Then when One Million came out I bought it too. So 40 - 3 = 37.

    From the 37 bottles I got 5 as a present.

    Well... I end up buying about 30 bottles in 6 months!

    Sometimes I say it's too much... but then I end up saying that I only live once and that I could do a lot worse with that money!

    Still threads like this are useful... from time to time... ;-)

    Good luck buddy!!!
    Yes mate, it was after your posts that I thought I would share. When you said you had 41 frags and I saw your join date was Dec 2012, I thought you were probably buying at the same rate as me :-)

  6. #6

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quite a good and efficient system, in my opinion, also quite easy to apply on a fixed budget and/or in the case of fixed monthly amounts, almost irrespective of the actual value of these amounts.

    - - - Updated - - -

  7. #7

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Quite a good and efficient system, in my opinion, also quite easy to apply on a fixed budget and/or in the case of fixed monthly amounts, almost irrespective of the actual value of these amounts.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks dude

  8. #8

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Good plan. I had to give up my other hobby due to a bad back (golf). Don't drink, don't smoke, two kids, two cars, mortgage, etc.
    I like nice clothes, but I try to buy everything at big discounts.

    I'm a CEO so I have to dress nice, but I also hate to just spend frivolously.

    Cologne is really my only hobby. So I don't feel too bad about buying scents. I do sometimes try to sell one off to raise cash for purchases I intend to make. Just did it yesterday by selling a Prada Luna Rossa set to get cash to buy Sartorial. I try to keep my wardrobe at around 30 bottles so I use everything on a fairly regular basis.

    I'm going to Charleston, SC in two weeks and I'm bound to buy a couple colognes while there. It's what I do!

  9. #9

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Good plan. I had to give up my other hobby due to a bad back (golf). Don't drink, don't smoke, two kids, two cars, mortgage, etc.
    I like nice clothes, but I try to buy everything at big discounts.

    I'm a CEO so I have to dress nice, but I also hate to just spend frivolously.

    Cologne is really my only hobby. So I don't feel too bad about buying scents. I do sometimes try to sell one off to raise cash for purchases I intend to make. Just did it yesterday by selling a Prada Luna Rossa set to get cash to buy Sartorial. I try to keep my wardrobe at around 30 bottles so I use everything on a fairly regular basis.

    I'm going to Charleston, SC in two weeks and I'm bound to buy a couple colognes while there. It's what I do!
    Sounds very similar to me mate. No other vices, like smoking, drinking, gambling, so don't feel bad about my frag hobby.

  10. #10

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Yes mate, it was after your posts that I thought I would share. When you said you had 41 frags and I saw your join date was Dec 2012, I thought you were probably buying at the same rate as me :-)
    Would it help if I said that I started collecting a few months before I joined this site?

  11. #11

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Would it help if I said that I started collecting a few months before I joined this site?
    Haha

  12. #12

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Good system. Hope it works for you.

  13. #13

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Good system. Hope it works for you.
    Thanks buddy

  14. #14
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,742
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Very sensible plan, Dailey. l also resolved to keep my collection under 50 bottles, & l've managed to stick to that, by loosely imposing a "one in, one out" rule. So l try to only buy new bottles when l've either used one up or decided to sell it. l have recently gone just over 50, but there are a couple on the chopping block that need to go.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  15. #15
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,071

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Love the OP's commitment. Would never work for me at least at this time in my life.

  16. #16

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    One of the things that I do is use credit wisely and cash in the rewards. I always always always end the month with a zero balance on my credit cards, but I use them for everything I buy, and the rewards points pile up. I'm pretty close to $90 in rewards on my Discover, which means I'll be able to trade $90 in rewards for a $100 gift card. Last year, I traded $45 rewards for a $50 gift card to Sephora, which means a 100ml bottle of Gucci Pour Homme II ended up only costing me $22 in real money, shipped.

    This only works if you can maintain a zero balance of course. If you carry a balance on credit cards, you lose money in interest. But if you always pay off the card each month, there's no interest, which means they end up paying YOU to use their card.

    Also: by using a credit card instead of a debit card for purchases, it's easier to track monthly spending. When I pay off the card at the end of each month, that's exactly how much I spent on stuff that month.

    I know it's silly, but I look forward to cashing in those rewards. It feels like getting something for nothing.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  17. #17
    Basenotes Junkie Wheatstraw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Sounds good. Makes sense. I went on sort of a two-year ocd binge and, thankfully, I get as much pleasure out of wearing as I do from the hunting and gathering phase.

    iiii t thhhhii iinnkkk i''''mm gggggonnnnnaaa b b b beee fffiiiiine nn n nn nn nnnnotttt t bubububuyyyi ying annnyyyttthhiinngg fufuforrr nnnunu nunnowwww

  18. #18

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Good for you Dailey,

    where as for many of us basenoters, we adopt the system of buy-now-regret-later
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

    Currently splitting:

    Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

    and many more niches up for split...

  19. #19

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Well, I have always liked fragrance but did not use regularly and did not own much. I also felt bad about spending without having used up. 1 had sort of 1 for 1 rule. Which was sort of difficult as I sometimes got bottles as a gift that I ended up not liking. And I ended up feeling obliged to use up these frags that I did not like. What did I miss....

    Somehow I got into the hobby of fine wines and started buying lots of wines, going to tastings etc. I even started buying subscriptions. But then I could not really drink that stuff any more due to some sort of histamine intolerance. Took me a while to accept that fact but then I stopped buying from one day to the other. I gave away stuff, and still I enjoy a good glass from time to time, but rarely as it does cause probs (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the day and the actual bottle). Made me feel somehow sad as I had enjoyed it a lot being a sensual hobby.

    Then one day coming back from a vacation I was like in post vacation blues, did some research on internet about I don't know - probably a frag. I stumbled upon parfumo. I started reading with fascination still thinking 'no, no, turn back, exit that page immediately' knowing that there would be not return. And the rest is history hahaha. Perfume being a hobbie for the olfactora sense the same as wine, it has become a perfect substitute for fine wine tasting

    So, no regrets!

    I have tried to do some sort of budgeting. Well, not really applying a strict budget system, but just document my perfume expenditures in an excel spreadsheet and monitoring the monthly expenditure as a KPI. I do not do this with other spendings, just perfume. I don't have 2 kids, cars and mortgage. So, it is not really necessary for other things, but for perfume I think it is reasonable in oder to keep some self-control at least.

    During the last months however I have been a bit neglecting about this. I am now a delegate to a country with poor access to perfumes (and much more expensive). So there is some restriction anyway. However I do participate in sharings, order bottles online and pick up during business trips back home (and buy at duty free). So I don't have the feeling my expenditure has become less, but should not have become more, either.

    As I do not test so many new things, I am in a sort of consolidation phase - what are the bottles, I love so mich I think I need a backup (scared of reforms)? What are the decants I love so much I want do upgrade to a full bottle? Only getting rid of bottles is not my strength. Somehow I love all of them. And with a collection of 60 to 70 bottles and same amount of decants, using 'regularly' cannot be a criterion.
    Of course I get some new frags to test through parfumo friends back home, and I have already some purchase plans for new frags as well

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    smart budgeting advice. personally, i keep a 4 week waiting rule. anything that's not a necessity, i put on a 4 week waiting list.

    if it's good, it will be good in 4 weeks.

  21. #21
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,672

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    I have drawn up a spread sheet with my 10 most wanted fragrances in order of when I want to buy them, along with the price.
    Now I'm curious, want to share your list?

  22. #22

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Now I'm curious, want to share your list?
    Lol, here is the wish list mate

    L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Encre Noire
    Egoiste
    Platinum Egoiste
    Eau De Nuit
    Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Erolfa
    Duro
    Black Afgano
    Pardon

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Well, I have always liked fragrance but did not use regularly and did not own much. I also felt bad about spending without having used up. 1 had sort of 1 for 1 rule. Which was sort of difficult as I sometimes got bottles as a gift that I ended up not liking. And I ended up feeling obliged to use up these frags that I did not like. What did I miss....

    Somehow I got into the hobby of fine wines and started buying lots of wines, going to tastings etc. I even started buying subscriptions. But then I could not really drink that stuff any more due to some sort of histamine intolerance. Took me a while to accept that fact but then I stopped buying from one day to the other. I gave away stuff, and still I enjoy a good glass from time to time, but rarely as it does cause probs (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the day and the actual bottle). Made me feel somehow sad as I had enjoyed it a lot being a sensual hobby.

    Then one day coming back from a vacation I was like in post vacation blues, did some research on internet about I don't know - probably a frag. I stumbled upon parfumo. I started reading with fascination still thinking 'no, no, turn back, exit that page immediately' knowing that there would be not return. And the rest is history hahaha. Perfume being a hobbie for the olfactora sense the same as wine, it has become a perfect substitute for fine wine tasting

    So, no regrets!

    I have tried to do some sort of budgeting. Well, not really applying a strict budget system, but just document my perfume expenditures in an excel spreadsheet and monitoring the monthly expenditure as a KPI. I do not do this with other spendings, just perfume. I don't have 2 kids, cars and mortgage. So, it is not really necessary for other things, but for perfume I think it is reasonable in oder to keep some self-control at least.

    During the last months however I have been a bit neglecting about this. I am now a delegate to a country with poor access to perfumes (and much more expensive). So there is some restriction anyway. However I do participate in sharings, order bottles online and pick up during business trips back home (and buy at duty free). So I don't have the feeling my expenditure has become less, but should not have become more, either.

    As I do not test so many new things, I am in a sort of consolidation phase - what are the bottles, I love so mich I think I need a backup (scared of reforms)? What are the decants I love so much I want do upgrade to a full bottle? Only getting rid of bottles is not my strength. Somehow I love all of them. And with a collection of 60 to 70 bottles and same amount of decants, using 'regularly' cannot be a criterion.
    Of course I get some new frags to test through parfumo friends back home, and I have already some purchase plans for new frags as well
    Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff.

  23. #23
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Nice plan actually. I like your 8/10 idea, although I have a bit of a sliding scale based on price/ml. Like, if it's under $.25/ml I might go for a bottle that's 7/10, etc. Above $1/ml it probably needs to be 9+.

  24. #24
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,352

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    It's a good system to build up any wardrobe be it fragrances or clothes. By practicing self-restraint you'll see your 'fragrance fund' growing to a level where price is no longer a major consideration, allowing you to focus solely on quality. By focusing on quality, you'll buy much less frequently but all your purchases are quality stuff.

    And I agree with LBI - that's exactly how I would use a credit card.

  25. #25
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,800

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    I just make peace with abundance and buy what I want.

  26. #26

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Samples let you go mad within a budget. You could have a mini budget within that for just samples too and it will save you in the long run on many a wrong bottle. Swapping and games are another fun way to enjoy frags without any family damage.

  27. #27

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    So my new budgeting system is to set a £75.00 ($115) budget per month for fragrances and no exceptions. I cannot go over this amount!

    Any self regulation is sensible. Well done.

    Mine is much more severe: under 15 bottles. One in one out. Don't buy them just for the sake of it or the novelty. I must not cross the line!

  28. #28

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    I hope some newbies read the post, as it is valuable...

    For me, I have control, so have no issues so far with rgds to frags. My ulcers stopped me from my old addiction - scotch and collecting it as well, oh how i miss it...

  29. #29

    Lightbulb Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    My rule is to not have any fragrance that is less than 8/10 in my collection and I can say that all 38 that I have kept are at least an 8/10. Being that I do not intend to blind buy and more and have started to sample instead, this should be much easier to stick
    this is the real and last thing that I have come to, but awfully somewhat late! As now I have nearly 150 bottles! But recently I've decided to go with this valuable rule and also minimize my collection.
    May God help me....

  30. #30

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I hope some newbies read the post, as it is valuable...

    For me, I have control, so have no issues so far with rgds to frags. My ulcers stopped me from my old addiction - scotch and collecting it as well, oh how i miss it...
    Your wardrobe says you got 190 bottles. You say to have it "under control". Well my 40 bottle wardrobe is no problem then!

    Cheers!

    TLS

  31. #31

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    So my new budgeting system is to set a £75.00 ($115) budget per month for fragrances and no exceptions.
    Don't forget you can also boost you budget by reclassifying some of your 8/10 as 7/10 and selling them!

  32. #32

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Great system! Are you willing to share a blank copy of your spreadsheet? Sounds like it could be very useful!
    Smelling good on a budget!

  33. #33

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Try sycomore before committing to encre noir.

    for swap/sale:





  34. #34

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Great system, guys. I remember after buying Amouage Reflection in '11 I believe, I put a freeze on buying bottles. I would buy samples here and there, and swap every now and then, but I didn't buy any more bottles. Besides, I wanted to return to school, and I felt like I needed to get my priorities in order. In fact, I sold several of my fragrances, and now, I'm down to about 10 or so. Within the last 6 months, I've purchased tons of samples, and only 1 full bottle: Azzaro Pour Homme Night Time. I also just bought 10 1.5 ml samples of By Killian's Rose Oud and 5 2 ml samples of Amouage Interlude.
    But like someone else said, right now, I'm lookin for 8/10s, or fragrances that I REALLY like. At one time, I was just getting fragrances that I thought were "nice". Now, I need to REALLY like them or be intrigued to make a purchase...

  35. #35

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love the OP's commitment. Would never work for me at least at this time in my life.
    Yep, a bit too late I'd say Hednic! You may be the poster child for this one bubba.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well, I'll own up. I've bought 13 since Christmas. I need an intervention I suppose. I still have around 50 as I sell a few to somehow justify myself. I actually even like collecting the bottles as well as the scents, there little works of art to.

    OP you have a great idea. Giving the time needed to buy a more expensive frag, you'll be more selective and inclined to truly love it, before spending two or thee months of wait time, let alone the cash. Much encouragement to you Sir! Now pray for me

  36. #36

    Default Re: My new Budgetting system for buying Fragrances (not revolutionary :-) )

    Good System. I need to do this, too.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10th April 2013, 04:36 PM
  2. New Fragrance: Aigner Revolutionary
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th September 2012, 05:46 PM
  3. Revolutionary Road
    By Candy Perfume Boy in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th February 2009, 06:42 PM
  4. Revolutionary Releases in Perfumery
    By jenson in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14th June 2008, 01:45 AM
  5. Fragrances you've put off buying
    By myaccolades in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 26th October 2006, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •