Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Bond No.9 - Take on Aventus?

Bond No. 9's new fragrance is named "HTTP://WWW.BONDNO9.COM". Releases June 2013.

The first thing that came to my mind when looking at the notes is how similar it is to Creed Aventus. Now I'm not saying they are identical, but share similar composition and direction. This one will definitely be hyped like crazy I'm guessing already and the fragrance "war" between the two will surely have fans on both sides. It's going to be a fun summer,

Notes are :
    Top - bergamot, pineapple and juniper berry
    Middle - apple, blackcurrant and cedarwood
    Base - patchouli, moss, musk and amber.

Aventus notes for comparison :
    Top - Finest blackcurrant, Italian bergamot, French apples and a burst of royal pineapple.
    Middle - Exquisite roses with a complement of dry birch, Moroccan jasmine plus a hint of patchouli.
    Base - Musk with a touch of oak moss for depth, then ambergris and a dab of vanilla.

Sorry for the superlatives, it is a copy/paste from Creed's website after all, haha.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 5th April 2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Default Re: New Bond No.9 - Take on Aventus?

What is the name?

It's a mystery to me.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    What is the name?

It is called HTTP:/ etc. etc., they are trying to be clever and calling it a "Virtual" perfume. The name of the fragrance is the URL, crazy as it sounds, I know. The bottle is also suppose to be a three-dimensional QR code.

This is from Cafleurebon's press article on it : "Here is how it will work; customers can snap their smartphones to purchase on the Bond No. 9 site, through ads, in person or via the Bondmobile, which will be covered in the design and buy it virtually."

I'm just going to call it Hyperlink personally.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Where's a link to the information?

Here's the link to the news on its release http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-fragr...rtual-perfume/

I'd just like to add that I am nowhere near tech-savvy enough for QR codes and other fancy-schmancy digital scanning stuff. Hate to use the term, but it does look like they are trying to appeal to the "hipster" crowd with this new Digital line.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

*BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

If it isn't, this sounds like it should be an April Fool's joke.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bond does have a history of copying... So...

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    If it isn't, this sounds like it should be an April Fool's joke.
    Trust me, that was my first thought as well, but it was posted today (April 5th). I even made sure to double-check that there wasn't an April 1st joke hidden somewhere on the webpage. This seems pretty legit, for better or worse.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Possibly the stupidest name for a fragrance I've ever seen.

"Ooh you smell great, what's it called?"

"Thanks, it's called HTTP COLON BACKSLASH BACKSLASH WWW.BONDNO9.COM"

I think Aventus has a nicer ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jivehippo View Post
    possibly the stupidest name for a fragrance i've ever seen.

"ooh you smell great, what's it called?"

"thanks, it's called http colon backslash backslash www.bondno9.com

i think aventus has a nicer ring to it.
    lol!!!

Bond really tries to compete with Creed, but always fails. They are like an overpriced Montale but with tacky bottles, and most of their fragrances are so synthetic they border on cleaning supplies.

I don't even know what to say, I never thought they'd venture in that territory

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    For sure.

Why on earth would a house do a 'digital line'?

The only thing digital about this fragrance is the fact, that you can only purchase it online.

Sounds like Bond is running out of gimmicks and neighborhoods.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Sounds like Bond is running out of gimmicks and neighborhoods.
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well. QR Codes are annoying enough, but to have it on a bottle? Wow. Just tacky.

Having the website hyperlink as the name doesn't do it any service either.

I have a decant of Chicago, I remember it resembling Aventus but I haven't smelled it in ages. I have a cold currently, so I can't test it right now. Maybe this is just an official release of it.

Looks like Aventus is about to get some really strong competition. Problem is that it's going to probably cost $100 more than what you can get Aventus for on the gray market. The bottle looks ridiculous.

I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke when I first saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Absolutely. It's the dumbest name I've ever seen. I get that they want to do a so-called 'digital collection' but sheesh. Have they completely forgotten how things work in the real world? Just as JiveHippo said... what would be the answer to this question:

"It's by Bond Number Nine. It has a URL for a name, and the bottle has a giant QR code on the front."
    "What's a QR code?"

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

...that being said... I'll definitely try it. Bond is a hit or miss house for me, but they create some excellent scents.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

If this doesn't sell, the new name will be HTTP://WWW.EBAY.COM or HTTP://WWW.MARSHALLS.COM

Here is what i was able to find:

Announcing our new fragrance launching June 30 that celebrates the BIGGEST neighborhood ever: THE DIGITAL VILLAGE. That's right, we created a fragrance for all of you out there on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the World-Wide-Web: It's called HTTP://WWW.BONDNO9.COM/. The bottle design is a scannable QR code that will take you RIGHT to the Web. Available online only (of course) starting June 30th. This one of a kind scent, spanning virtual to reality, features yellow bergamot, pineapple, juniper berry, apple, blackcurrant and cedarwood

3578_10152337093005961_1086724112_n.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    The bottle looks ridiculous.
    All BN9 bottles do.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    If this doesn't sell, the new name will be HTTP://WWW.EBAY.COM or HTTP://WWW.MARSHALLS.COM
    Nice.

Zing,

Seriously though, with the new information that this will be an online only fragrance, it just makes it even worse.

Unless samples becoming readily available, a lot of people who have interest in this fragrance may end up buying it completely blind.

- - - Updated - - -

Another update, straight from the mouth of Laurice Rahme, the owner/founder of Bond No.9, on this latest creation :

"“The fragrance business is always doing the same thing and the same thing and the same thing. We wanted to really capture what is going on in the world. Everybody is online. Everybody is mobile. So we have to do a fragrance for that world. It’s a different world. What I love about the packaging is that for all of us in this industry talking about how difficult and expensive it is to train and retain sales people, to have a bottle that speaks to the consumer, directly, is the dream. It’s not a department store [distribution]. It’s not Sephora. It’s beyond that. It’s the most direct way to buy that you could ever have.”

Not sure if serious, haha
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Laurice Rahme's pseudo intellectual explaination does not justify the ridiculous name and concept.

They have run out of neighborhoods , next thing you know she will be naming bottles after video games.

The pineapple is not Royal so it'll smell completely different.

sound like another fail from Bond No.9

#failonceagainBondno.9
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke when I first saw it.

Absolutely. It's the dumbest name I've ever seen. I get that they want to do a so-called 'digital collection' but sheesh. Have they completely forgotten how things work in the real world? Just as JiveHippo said... what would be the answer to this question:

"It's by Bond Number Nine. It has a URL for a name, and the bottle has a giant QR code on the front."
    "What's a QR code?"

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

...that being said... I'll definitely try it. Bond is a hit or miss house for me, but they create some excellent scents.
    then again, i don't tell people i'm wearing bleecker street either, i just tell them im wearing bond number 9. and usually they won't ask any further.

prepare for "is this a good batch?" threads...sigh, lookin' forward to the actual frag though, thanks for the heads up

Basenotes Plus

Everyone may say what they want. You may like their fragrances or hate them. You may like their bottles or hate them. Bottom line, Bond is an extremely successful company and continues to be such.

Time will tell if this is a silly concept or a winner.

Dependent

Love the 2D barcode on the bottle! That takes the everyday kitsch of Bond and ups it to Überkitsch.

I think this will be come to be known as simply Bond No.9 Virtual Perfume

I'm neutral on Bond No 9, I have a few of their fragrances - but this is just pure stupid.

The worst part? The note breakdown suggesting a potential Aventus ripoff. If that's the case - two fails, one bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Everyone may say what they want. You may like their fragrances or hate them. You may like their bottles or hate them. Bottom line, Bond is an extremely successful company and continues to be such.

Time will tell if this is a silly concept or a winner.
    Put me down for a spot in the split if you get one going the first week it's release....

Quote Originally Posted by scentologist View Post
    sounds like bond is running out of gimmicks and neighborhoods.

lol

- - - Updated - - -

lol

I have no problem with Bond...somewhat neutral on them actually...own 4 bottles but rarely wear them...I actually find some of their bottle designs very cool. I don't mind the gimmick as long as it smells good.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    prepare for "is this a good batch?" threads...sigh, lookin' forward to the actual frag though, thanks for the heads up
    Batch v2.0 in .xml is the best.

Basenotes Member

I want to try this so bad but at the same time my expectations are so low. Can't say I've ever felt that way about a fragrance release in the past

Basenotes Junkie

As for the Aventus comparison...time will tell when we actually get to smell it out...in my book, if it's similar to Aventus then it will probably be better as I consider Chez Bond better than GIT (Blasphemous, I know).

As for the name...oh I know, it's embarrassing to say that you are wearing a neighborhood name and or a place, but not to tell people that you are wearing Green Irish Tweed (Green Irish Clothing-even when you aren't wearing green Irish clothing) or Portrait of a Lady (And you're a man) or Virgin Island Water (not only are you a place, but you are the water in that place...or, maybe people might consider you a virgin...and you're not) or Five O'Clock Gingembre (and it's actually only two o'clock and you aren't ginger, you're a human being)...yep, you got it, saying that you're wearing "The Digital Village" is shockingly embarrassing and so out there it's unheard of...can you sense my sarcasm?

And as for the bottle...I know, I would be far more embarrassed to have a yellow bottle with a QR code on display than a bottle with a male torso with a man bulge (Le Male), or a bottle with a bust of a roman guy (Invasion Barbare), or a big ol' brick of gold(One Million), or a bunch of bottles with big stars on them (Amen everything)! Yep, Bond no 9 is the only house that makes extremely embarrassing bottles...again, can you sense the sarcasm?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just too popular to hate on Bond no 9 here on basenotes and most of the time the things that people make fun of it for or bash it can be said for just about every other house.

I personally think the bottle is awesome...and I'm not joking, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it, and I look forward to sniffing the fragrance even more. I feel like too many people take themselves way too seriously on this forum...lighten up, it will be ok, no one is forcing you to smell this frag, and even more so buy it, and thus you'll never have to tell people that you are wearing a fragrance that comes from such an embarrassing bottle that has such an embarrassing name.

If you like it, get it, if you don't....then....don't. Yeah, I went on a rant, but it's always the same story when it comes to Bond bashing, and it gets a little old. I really like the house of Bond...and let the fingers of mockery and scorn point at me always.

Well they caught attention didn't they.

Yea, I agree with you on some parts Kybid. I won't judge this Bond No.9 fragrance until I actually try it. I can get past the bottle and even past the silly name, in time. I actually do like Bond No.9's take on certain fragrances and New Haarlem is one of my faves during the brief winter we get in Phoenix.

But, I have serious concerns if Bond No.9 truly intends this to be an online only fragrance. I'm not a fan of every SA I meet, many of them have come off pushy on occasion honestly, but I still enjoy the human interaction discussing fragrances, getting to sample a bunch of different fragrances, holding the bottles, seeing how they spray, and even taking home tester strips to see how it smells the following day.

None of that is possible with this "Virtual" collection as it currently stands, there does not seem to be even a sure-fire way to even test this fragrance if for some reason Bond No.9 doesn't make the samples available on their website. It just seems...not sure of the right word..."tacky" (maybe)...that Bond No.9 is requiring all of us to purchase this fragrance on a whim without sampling just because it is their interpretation that seemingly resembles Creed's Aventus.

I'm not a fan of this streamlining vision that Bond No.9 is following, to be honest. It's like trying to be the fast food version of gourmet food, it just doesn't work.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah...the fact that they are making it an online purchase thing isn't so cool, I agree with that. I just don't like it when people just bash the house because it's the popular thing to do...or when people hate a few of a certain houses frags and thus call the whole house crap, especially when they mention that they do like 3-4 of their frags. There are, I'm sure, many other houses that they like even though they only like 3-4 of their fragrances, yet hate Bond for only liking the same amount of frags. There is just quite the double standard when it comes to Bond.

By the way, I'm not indicating that you are guilty of what I just said, I just notice that, in general, a lot of people here on basenotes do.

My problem with Bond fragrances is it just seems like they have no creativity. Its almost like they take a good designer scent and make it slightly better by using higher quality ingredients, or they look at something like GIT then rip it off with Chez Bond.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Those of us who are in the Bond Facebook Community are actually really excited that the House has made a fragrance specifically for us. Many of us have formed lasting friendships on the Bond Facebook page, and for there to be an actual scent that dedicated for or designed for our "little" on line community...well that it just amazing.

I do see some similarities in some fragrances...GIT, Cool Water, Chez Bond...but remember, that just because the notes listed are similar, that does not mean that the fragrances will be even remotely similar. I've tried scents from Creed and Killian that have OUD, Rose, and Amber, and non even smell remotely close to each other. You all can certainly have your fun being critical of the Bond No. 9, and how dumb the name sounds. So what...don't buy it if you think it sounds stupid. We we who are part of the community that this was made for...well you can't take the happiness and honor that we feel away from us.
    Last edited by gatorNY; 7th April 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorNY View Post
    Those of us who are in the Bond Facebook Community are actually really excited that the House has made a fragrance specifically for us. Many of us have formed lasting friendships on the Bond Facebook page, and for there to be an actual scent that dedicated for or designed for our "little" on line community...well that it just amazing.

I do see some similarities in some fragrances...GIT, Cool Water, Chez Bond...but remember, that just because the notes listed are similar, that does not mean that the fragrances will be even remotely similar. I've tried scents from Creed and Killian that have OUD, Rose, and Amber, and non even smell remotely close to each other. You all can certainly have your fun being critical of the Bond No. 9, and how dumb the name sound. So what...don't buy it if you think it sound stupid! We we who are part of the community that this was made for...well you can't take the happiness and honor that we feel away from us.
    Where did you come up with the idea that this fragrance was made for the Bond no 9 Facebook group?

And, since you work for Bond No. 9, have you had a chance to sample it yet?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Actually I don't think "URL" is a terrible name but digital villiage seems more likely a name. And its quite appropriate as a name if it indeed is their take on Aventus given its internet hype machine status.

Someone earlier mentioned the name of "Virtual Fragrance". I think that's a more fitting name than an entire URL. I'm still on the fence as to if this is just some joke by Bond or if it's actually going to end up being released.

On a side note, after wearing quite a few bond fragrances, I realized that they remind me more of a well done designer fragrance; not of a high priced niche. And that's regarding the few that I enjoy. I'm not fond of most of their releases.

I actually really like the bottle too; at least it's different (look at how many new niche houses are popping up day by day doing more of the same).

I LIKE the notes list, but then I like the notes list for Aventus, too. I'm just hoping there's sufficient deviation from Aventus to justify its existence. If it's nothing more than an Aventus clone, I'll be disappointed.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

ooh, juniper

This is from Bond's post on their facebook page:
    Announcing our new fragrance launching June 30 that celebrates the BIGGEST neighborhood ever: THE DIGITAL VILLAGE. That's right, we created a fragrance for all of you out there on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the World-Wide-Web: It's called HTTP://WWW.BONDNO9.COM/.
    Also, I work at an animal hospital. I am a veterinarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    ooh, juniper
    Going to be interesting to see how they use juniper for sure.

Also the jasmince, birch, and rose in Aventus is missing and instead there is cedwarwood and amber. The amber will definitely lend it more sweetness, which is pretty common in most Bond No.9 offerings, but how they use the cedarwood and juniper may lend the fragrance a more spicy vibe as well.

Whereas Aventus is pineapple/smoke, this may lead more towards being pineapple/sweet-spicy.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

RunSun, I was thinking the same thing. I doubt this will end up smelling like Aventus. It'll probably be sweet/spicy and more feminine than Aventus (unisex, really).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gatorNY View Post
    Those of us who are in the Bond Facebook Community are actually really excited that the House has made a fragrance specifically for us.
    It's more likely that they made a fragrance and had a marketing meeting about how to sell it. At the meeting, someone said "Since we're only selling it online, what if we say the neighborhood is the internet or something like that?"

All of the "biggest neighborhood ever" mumbo jumbo is just silly marketing. It's basically ad copy.

whats wrong with Bond being creative with their marketing? I dont see why people should be up in arms about their attempts to find new angles to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    whats wrong with Bond being creative with their marketing? I dont see why people should be up in arms about their attempts to find new angles to make money.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I do wish they'd put this one in stores rather than just online, but that's only because I live near a Nordstrom that carries Bond. Frankly, I won't be surprised if this one turns out to be pretty good.

It does seem rather silly to me, but then again, Bond tends to put so many scents out each year that they seem to be willing to try any concept. As far as smelling similar to Aventus, I actually think the drydown of Bond's Bleecker St. already resembles the birch/musk drydown of Aventus. (granted, the topnotes are different).

I wonder if their limited distribution plan will keep it out of the hands of discounters. Most of what they offer is an easy pass at 230-330 dollars, but becomes much more tempting when you can get it cheap on the grey market. Unfortunately for me, the last few Bonds I have really like have never really shown up at the discounters for much of a discount, so it has been a long time since I have even been tempted by their stuff.

Oh come on everyone...

I love Creeds, have 7 bottles - but holy shit do I make fun of them when they deserve it! Same with most houses. But come on, this is really tacky shit here. I have three Bonds and might add more soon, but let's call a spade a spade, this is laaame.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the few frags on earth I'd rather have a decant of than a FB!

why is it lame jamwires? its a gimmick to sell more product. if it works, then it is a success.

chanel paid bigelow big money to do a commercial of a guy surfing for ahs eau extreme. chanel had pitt do that commerical that makes no sense. this is no more lame than those marketing efforts..