Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Olfactive Studio

Has anyone had a chance to try any of these.

Looking at the notes, some of these look rather good. I especially like how Flash Back looks.

Interested to hear from anyone who has tried the line.

Default Re: Olfactive Studio

I tried four of them a week ago - they didn't have Flash Back, unfortunately.

Chambre Noire was the best that I tried, in fact I was tossing up which of Chambre Noire and Cuir Velours to buy. I ended up going with the latter, but it wasn't an overly simple choice.

Still Life is a really good yuzu fragrance; I traditionally dislike yuzu in perfumerie, but Still Life smells so realistic and doesn't smell sour in the least. Projection seemed rather low.

Lumiere Blanche is a little soft for my liking, and somehow smells simultaneously unique and bland. It seems to be one of those fragrances that will react differently with different peoples' skin. On me it's inoffensive and starts off smelling like laundry detergent, but then dries down to a mix of flowers and woods. Nothing remarkable.

Autoportrait is a fragrance for those that really like elemi, and although I give credit for trying something different, as they've taken what's normally a supporting note and put it centre stage. It dries down into a very soft wood fragrance. It's my least-favoured scent out of the four.

I was given a sample set of the four, so I'll give them more of a try over the coming weeks.

I bought the entire line of 5 fragrances last week. All very nice.

lol hednic

for swap/sale:

how is the longevity on these ?

I have not tried the new one, but sampled the first four. Didn't care for any of them... It's been a while since I smelled them so I can't say with precision why I didn't like them, but they all smelled odd and off-putting to me.

Found the entire line (minus their newest one in the blue juice) at Sephora out of all places. Generally, they all seem to have terrible longevity. After an hour or so they vanish and that seems to be the general consensus with the line. My least favorite was Autoportrait which smelt really sharp, I swear I smelt amber but it isn't listed as a note. Chambre Noire smelt like a half-baked smokey incense but there's just way too many of those out there, done better. Still Life was a sweet tea lemon/yuzu scent. Not bad, but not worth it. Flash Back is a Terre d'Hermes clone - earthy, dirty sort of zesty grapefruit/vetiver. Lumiere Blanche was my favorite - sweet, milky, soft...transparent oriental.

Overall - the whole line was a pass for me.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd July 2014 at 05:52 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I found Lumiere Blanche intriguing but I just got frustrated by the longevity and lack of real oomph in an otherwise wonderful scent that you could easily compare to classics like Apres l'Ondee and L'Eau d'Hiver if it had more 'presence'.

I found Still Life instantly forgettable, but then again I feel that way about most yuzu prominent scents.

I have samples of the others but I haven't smelled them yet.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Found the entire line (minus their newest one in the blue juice) at Sephora out of all places. Generally, they all seem to have terrible longevity. After an hour or so they vanish and that seems to be the general consensus with the line. My least favorite was Autoportrait which smelt really sharp, I swear I smelt amber but it isn't listed as a note. Chambre Noire smelt like a half-baked smokey incense but there's just way too many of those out there, done better. Still Life was a sweet tea lemon/yuzu scent. Not bad, but worth it. Flash Back is a Terre d'Hermes clone - earthy, dirty sort of zesty grapefruit/vetiver. Lumiere Blanche was my favorite - sweet, milky, soft...transparent oriental.

Overall - the whole line was a pass for me.
    Sephora? Are you sure? And Chambre Noire is a patchouli scent. Are we talking about the same line?

P.S. I think this thread's a bit out of date.

tried them all, not impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Sephora? Are you sure? And Chambre Noire is a patchouli scent. Are we talking about the same line?

P.S. I think this thread's a bit out of date.
    Yup. Sephora. They also had the Atelier line and a few of the Tom Ford Private Blends there.

Default Olfactive Studio

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Yup. Sephora. They also had the Atelier line and a few of the Tom Ford Private Blends there.
    What a trip! Atelier's been there for some time, but the PBs and Olfactive are new. So new, they've yet to list them on their website. Olfactive's a pretty weak line though, so they'll be right at home at least!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    What a trip! Atelier's been there for some time, but the PBs and Olfactive are new. So new, they've yet to list them on their website. Olfactive's a pretty weak line though, so they'll be right at home at least!
    I've also seen the odd L'artisan or Serge Lutens at Sephora. I don't think they ever get listed on the official site, it all depends which location you go to...there's just a market in some urban spots...

I tried Lumiere Blanche several times, was initially unimpressed but have come around to it. It is light in the projection department, no doubt, but that can be a desirable trait, shared by some scents I like very much. Projection is not at the top of my priority list, and indeed, big projection is a limitation for me. Projection aside, Longevity is not bad at 6-8 hours. I wore it the other day in hot weather, and thought it was a good choice.

As for the scent itself, I found it a very nice mix of floral notes, anise, mint, iris, almond and sandalwood, each of which I like individually, and they work nicely together here. Lumiere Blanche is now on my Buy List.

Chambre Noire is also one I enjoyed. Patch & amber mix as I recall it. I've only tried it once. Will try it again.

There was a third one I tried, don't recall if it was Flashback or another. This one didn't move the needle for me.

I think the line is probably overpriced, but the list of overpriced fragrances is very long indeed.

Of the 6 I own, Ombre Indigo is the most unique smell wise IMO (not to mention color)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of the 6 I own, Ombre Indigo is the most unique smell wise IMO (not to mention color)
    Yes, Ombre Indigo is amazing... I tried to get a full bottle right after I got my split but was told it'll be available sometime in August in Canada and the US. That "unique" blue color will stain white clothes for sure!