Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Coromandel by Chanel (Review and First Impression by noirdrakkar)

This is my first review in the female forum, but I did get a sample of this (because of all the praise it's been getting). I generally don't wear, sample or review feminine fragrances, but this can be an exception.

I've tried this for the whole day. Just one day, so it's an impression. In a week or so, I'll go back and add more.

Fruit, vanilla-benzoin, incense, floral notes, light wood notes, and patchouli.

Opens fruity, but soon after fruit takes a backseat. The benzoin is apparent throughout, but the patchouli develops more and more as well as the woody basenotes, but nothing dominates the benzoin. Yet, the benzoin doesn't overwhelmingly dominate anything either. Nothing is dominant in this fragrance, which is good, especially since it's well composed and not muddled.

Scent - 3.5/5
    You've smelled vanilla scents before, they are a dime a dozen. But the quality of this scent is well above most vanilla scents out there. Since there is more benzoin than vanilla, it has a smooth woody feeling to it. There are darker elements to it like incense. The patchouli is much smoother than I thought it would be. It's noticeable, but it's doesn't dominate the fragrance (which is something I'm happy about). Overall, a quality blend of quality ingredients.

(On a personal level, if a woman wore though, I would think she smelled good, but I wouldn't be any more drawn to her. But don't wear it to attract the wonderful charming amazing and humble noirdrakkar. Wear it because you like it.)

Versatility 4/5 - I see this pretty versatile. It's not overpowering. Perhaps it's sweetness may not make it the top choice in extremely hot weather, but I don't see any problems for wearing it. It's on the feminine side, so I doubt many men would want to wear this (but there are always exceptions). Very wearable. It's both mature and modern. Classy and elegant. It's sophisticated enough for a woman in her 40's to wear, but inoffensive enough for a woman in her 20's to wear.

Originality 3/5 - There are subtle differences between this and a lot of what's out there, but overall, I've smelled similar scents. Subtlety is the key here. It is a little different, but it doesn't stand out. It's safe without being a generic cliche, but still for a niche, it's not inventive and creative enough.

Projection and Longevity 4/5 - I still need more time to test, but overall, it has good projection and longevity. It doesn't leave me wanting in those category.

Value 3.5/5 - $130 for a 2.5 oz fragrance is a bit more expensive for the average consumer, but if this is you're type of fragrance it's a steal. Niche fragrances often come much more expensive than this and this is certainly great quality. I'd say an overall good value, though it depends on your tastes.

So far, I am inclined to give this 7.5 out of 10 (on a niche scale, which is stricter than a designer scale). I am a tough critic though, so take my rating kindly. I have to keep the average consumer in mind that has a limited budget, as well as the niche lovers who have high standards and so many other options.

Compared to Sycomore, I like them both and there is no clear indisputable winner, but personally I prefer Sycomore because it is much more creative and distinct.

I don't think sampling this is mandatory, but if you are a woman interested in this genre of fragrance, I would recommend it.

A lot of people say this is an amazing fragrance, and I have a lot of respect for it myself. For me though, I like it. It's just that the like never turns into a love.

Maybe it will. I'll update this sometime.

Your thoughts on Coromandel and this review?

Default Re: Coromandel by Chanel (Review and First Impression by noirdrakkar)

Welcome NoirDrakkar. Thanks so much for taking the time to put up this review over here. I've enjoyed reading your comments in the Mens Forum since I joined BN last year. This is a well-done write-up and I like the way you've broken it down by practical subject. I hadn't thought of including versatility, originality and value in my previous write-ups, but will consider doing so from now on.

Coromandel has been on my To Test list because I'm currently moving through a dirty patchouli appreciation phase thanks to BN'er Cacio. However, I wasn't a big fan of Sycomore, as I felt as if I were leading a smudging ceremony while wearing it. I prefer my greens fresh, to smoked.

Personally, if I enjoy a feminine fragrance on myself, I'm going to enjoy it equally on a man, if not more, due to the magical transformation it goes through when hit with a little XY DNA. Like many, I support gender-bending wardrobes and enjoy wearing several mens colognes, but I think it takes a confident man to wear those found more frequently on this side of BN. Rigid Mars and Venus guidelines don't make much sense when there are so many beautiful fragrances on both sides of the yin yang.

Keep visiting and sharing your thoughts on the Ladies side. You'll be in good company with many great, thoughtful and experienced male (and female) sniffers.

Wonderful review, only pt to add - perfectly unisex...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the support Schilling. I understand your concern about Sycomore. It is a bit smoky and grainy, but much less so than many other vetiver scents.

Badarun, yeah it can be unisex, but I do think it's a little feminine on a man. Not saying that a man can't wear it. I'm just saying many guys will think it's too feminine and that's too bad for them because the men who aren't afraid to wear it will like it.

Nice review, Noirdrakkar! I enjoyed reading your impressions of Coromandel. That's one I haven't tried yet myself but I have a pretty good idea of it now from your review. Welcome to the FFB.

Very nice review. I've heard Coromandel is the patch of all patch scents from some users around here. I haven't sniffed it yet but would like to. The Sycomore was too smoky for me, just wasn't for me. Nice quality but wasn't for me. I may re-sniff it to see if I still am as opposed to it. Thanks again for the review!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Banned

Nice, detailed review, thank you!!!

As for me Coromandel did not seem all too original as well, because of that vanilla sweetness you mention, and i completely ignored it but later, i discovered it has one of the most beautiful olibanum notes that make it luxurious, that olibanum, patch mix......and i love it in the end,was even flirting with the idea to buy it...but then i dont like it that much to must have it
    As for the price worth buying for me are only few from the line,this one included, but it is EDT only, many of them are just too "light", or very synthetic.......and extremely expensive:-) here where i live small bottle costs 170 usd in a shop
    Sycomore was love at first sniff for me, in the end i don't own it, because friend persuaded me to go with 31 rue cambon :-) .was acting rational there lol
    Last edited by iivanita; 6th April 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It gets much more interesting in the drydown as the base notes develop, I agree iivanita.

I enjoyed your review. Easy to read and nicely organized.

I have a sample of Coromandel and like it, but I don't love it. It is original and the patchouli is well integrated, an important aspect for me since I'm not crazy about patchouli. Overall, I think it is an interesting fragrance and probably worth the price if you really love it.

Nice review, Noirdrakkar—you really broke it down. I think the high quality, yet subtle floral notes really set Coromandel apart from other patchouli centered compositions. It also has the trademark Chanel elegance that smells like wealth to me. Coromandel is a good fragrance, but I’m not as in love with it as I was when I first tried it and this is just because my tastes are changing and I’m not on a patchouli kick anymore. I agree: Coromandel is a must try for patch heads only.

Banned
    Blog Entries

gmstrack, i largely agree