Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 66
  1. #1

    Default Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    So I'm a relatively new frag head but have been coming to basenotes frequently as my main source for reviews and information. You guys are all great! Youtube reviewers Marc (robes) and Dan (mymickers) have really made this hobby a lot of fun for me.

    So as I said I just started last summer and am already pushing 40 bottles of cologne. Not too shabby and have decided to try and start collecting bottles of my favorite designer houses. Right now I'm really interested in YSL. My first was La Nuit de L'homme which I really enjoy. I purchased Body Kouros last week and I absolutely love it. I just wish it was a little stronger and had better longevity.

    Lately been looking for a real good incense cologne and I heard from numerous sources that kouros by YSL is a great incense cologne and I just got it today. I did a quick test before I went to work today and sprayed it on my arm (I think i may have done a little too much, 2 sprayish) and omg..... wow. Was not expecting that smell at all.

    First impression was a really dirty urinal cake smell almost and than as time went along and I would get whiffs of it, it almost reminded me of walking into a barn on a farm or something? Almost like urine but not really? It's hard to explain. I'm not sure if it's just having a bad reaction to my skin or did I spray too much? Could it be the bottle is too new and needs time to age a little cause I've heard that too. A fresh fragrance off the line needs time to blend. Btw I've purchased this from fragrancex.com so I'm not worried about it being a fake....

    I was really hoping for more of an incense based frag.

    My question is, is there a certain way to wear this? Am I smelling what I should be? and lastly are there any good incense fragrances in the designer game? I live in a small town in Canada and fragrancex has free shipping and no duties so it's a great site to deal with for me. Can you guys recommend a good incense frag that is on fragrancex.com?

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    Btw I've purchased this from fragrancex.com so I'm not worried about it being a fake....

    Thanks guys!

    Yep. They sell nothing but 100% authentic original toilet water and money back guarantee if it doesnt stink

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Yep. They sell nothing but 100% authentic original toilet water and money back guarantee if it doesnt stink
    I'm sensing sarcasm but I've had only amazing experiences with them? And that's after 15 plus transactions..... but thanks for the reply

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,253

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    So I'm a relatively new frag head but have been coming to basenotes frequently as my main source for reviews and information. You guys are all great! Youtube reviewers Marc (robes) and Dan (mymickers) have really made this hobby a lot of fun for me.

    So as I said I just started last summer and am already pushing 40 bottles of cologne. Not too shabby and have decided to try and start collecting bottles of my favorite designer houses. Right now I'm really interested in YSL. My first was La Nuit de L'homme which I really enjoy. I purchased Body Kouros last week and I absolutely love it. I just wish it was a little stronger and had better longevity.

    Lately been looking for a real good incense cologne and I heard from numerous sources that kouros by YSL is a great incense cologne and I just got it today. I did a quick test before I went to work today and sprayed it on my arm (I think i may have done a little too much, 2 sprayish) and omg..... wow. Was not expecting that smell at all.

    First impression was a really dirty urinal cake smell almost and than as time went along and I would get whiffs of it, it almost reminded me of walking into a barn on a farm or something? Almost like urine but not really? It's hard to explain. I'm not sure if it's just having a bad reaction to my skin or did I spray too much? Could it be the bottle is too new and needs time to age a little cause I've heard that too. A fresh fragrance off the line needs time to blend. Btw I've purchased this from fragrancex.com so I'm not worried about it being a fake....

    I was really hoping for more of an incense based frag.

    My question is, is there a certain way to wear this? Am I smelling what I should be? and lastly are there any good incense fragrances in the designer game? I live in a small town in Canada and fragrancex has free shipping and no duties so it's a great site to deal with for me. Can you guys recommend a good incense frag that is on fragrancex.com?

    Thanks guys!
    IMO you are smelling exactly what you should with Kouros - a great scent IMO.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Sounds like you may be looking for something like Encre Noire, though I detest it due to its chemical/synthetic aspect.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Kouros...it's not for everyone, including myself. I too prefer Body Kouros. Dirty English might be on Fragrance X...I can't tell their site is down right now.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO you are smelling exactly what you should with Kouros - a great scent IMO.
    How do you usually apply it? Very lightly? Do others smell the same thing when you wear it in your opinion? cause I've noticed some colognes that I may not like tend to get different positive reactions from others.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like you may be looking for something like Encre Noire, though I detest it due to its chemical/synthetic aspect.
    Funny you should say that, this has been on my short list for a while but have never gotten around to buying it. robes08 swears by that stuff haha. I also hate chemical/synthetic colognes with a passion. Do you find it has an incense vibe to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Kouros...it's not for everyone, including myself. I too prefer Body Kouros. Dirty English might be on Fragrance X...I can't tell their site is down right now.
    I really was excited to try kouros after body kouros. For some reason I had in my head it was going to be like Body Kouros only with a stronger incense base...... boy was I wrong. I've heard good things about dirty english. Do you get an incense feel from this?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Dirty English is somewhat of a woody/spicy incense from what I remember when I tried it. It's super cheap. I've seen it lower than $20 at some discounters. Also, as you well know now...Kouros and Body Kourous share a name and that's just about it.

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,253

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    How do you usually apply it? Very lightly? Do others smell the same thing when you wear it in your opinion? cause I've noticed some colognes that I may not like tend to get different positive reactions from others.
    I'll be very honest. When I wear it, I apply it exactly the same as I would apply any of my other scents - three sprays. Also I really don't pay attention to how others might react to what I wear. I wear it because I like it and it pleases me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'll be very honest. When I wear it, I apply it exactly the same as I would apply any of my other scents - three sprays. Also I really don't pay attention to how others might react to what I wear. I wear it because I like it and it pleases me.
    Amen! me too

    Only thing I usually am careful of is how powerful it is cause I don't wanna offend people at work haha but as far as pleasing others. I could care less. I just find it interesting on how others can smell something completely different from the person wearing it sometimes. Maybe this is one of those colognes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Dirty English is somewhat of a woody/spicy incense from what I remember when I tried it. It's super cheap. I've seen it lower than $20 at some discounters. Also, as you well know now...Kouros and Body Kourous share a name and that's just about it.
    interesting. I think I may give that one a go!

    I've come to a conclusion after thinking about it that I'm probably not going to find an incense fragrance along the lines of commes de garcon in the designer house because it's more of a niche type of smell. It's not something that is going to come across to a mass market like my designer houses usually keep in mind while making new frags.

    and yes, wow, kouros and body kouros. Not similar in anyway lol

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    What you describe sounds like Kouros as other people describe it, and what it smells like to me on filter paper. On my skin the urine (honey) and dirty (probably civet) notes don't come through very strongly, but I do get the urinal-cake smell. I have a '90s version of Kouros and I'm surprised that the current version still gives off such strong urine and dirty notes because those notes are not used as often nowadays. I can't really speak to what your current version of Kouros smells like, because it's been reformulated a couple of times in the last 20 years.

    With Kouros I wear only one spray to the chest; it projects and lasts strongly, and it certainly doesn't smell at all like Body Kouros because it comes from an entirely different era: Kouros came out in 1981 while Body Kouros was developed in 2000.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Kouros is like beer...when you first try it, you may not like it at all... some will acquire the taste and will love it...others will not
    My Top 10

    1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui



    "A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

  13. #13
    Basenotes Junkie SirNosebleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I do not think of Kouros as being an incense fragrance at all...to me it is a masculine floral chypre. It is super strong, so I would just do one spray on the arm(not too close to the nose). I think it is best worn with suit/tie.

    Amouage makes a lot of good incense frags, such as Interlude and Jubiliation XXV.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    You might want to try the latest reformulation of Kouros that comes in a clear bottle. It smells nothing like the original, more like a generic spicy aquatic scent.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    I'm sensing sarcasm but I've had only amazing experiences with them? And that's after 15 plus transactions..... but thanks for the reply
    yea it was sarcasm

    I love fragrancex

    good company

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    kouros, at least in this century, is more of a work of art than a utility. Smell it, but please don't wear it.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Kouros is like beer...when you first try it, you may not like it at all... some will acquire the taste and will love it...others will not
    I agree and same follows for Fahrenheit.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Never wear Kouros outside your house. You have been warned. This is a dangerous fragrance. It might hurt you.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Kouros is a classic fragrance with some incense, but I would not wear it if I was looking for an incense hit.

    Sadly, Kouros was a victim of its own success and cleaning products such as urinal cakes did copy its notes.
    As such, many people now have a mental association of Kouros and public toilets, which is a shame for such a remarkable fragrance.
    The other problem with Kouros was that it is became so recognisable... which may be fine for you... but some Basenoters prefer a little created a little mystery. This problem diminished as the aquatic generation took over. In fact... perhaps it is now no longer a problem?

    Given that you like YSL Body Kouros (a wonderful fragrance), I would suggest you try Azzaro Visit.
    It is a spicy wood with a solid hit of incense and a musky base.
    Visit is also available at fragrancex.com at a good price.

    If you are open to niche fragrances, the suggestions will pour in because there are many excellent incense fragrances in the niche world.

    My 2 cents

  20. #20

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I've never heard of Kouros described as an incense scent - I certainly can't detect any in it. If you can find it, Gucci Rush is my favourite incensey scent.

    For me Kouros is a warm weather scent - and wear a lot of it. It's too fresh for cold weather wear.
    Regards,
    Renato

  21. #21

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I don't know, Kouros certainly isn't an "incense" frag in anyones book.
    Neither does it smell like a farmyard, nor is it dangerous (certainly not in it's current formulation), nor does it have anything whatsoever to do with Body Kouros.
    You could try one spray under your shirt and see how that goes. I often need a few wearings of a scent to get the measure of it properly.
    Otherwise, get something else (but don't blind buy it if you can possibly help it :-)

  22. #22

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    A difficult task to find an authentic smelling incense cologne at the designer level, some options (available on fragx) are Azzaro Visit, Dior Fahrenheit Absolute, and although I don't see it on the site, the original Tommy Bahama has a nice incense smell. There are much better options if you can stretch your budget a bit. The Comme de Garcons incense line can be had for around $80, and I see Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles on fragx for $120. Also there's l'artisan Timbuktu, Heeley Cardinal, Montale Full Incense, Etro Messe de Midnuit etc, these are more likely to give you the authentic incense smell you're looking for.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I don't get any incense from Kouros. It's probably just about the most polarizing scent in existence, though. After acquiring a vintage bottle, I like it quite a bit, but don't wear it much because of the number of people who don't like it on me. Haven't tried the current version.

    Don't have any incense suggestions since those scents are not my cup of tea.

    I've used fragrancex a lot and never had a bad experience.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  24. #24

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Kouros is one of the strangest scent ever produced: someone smells it, and think it's a masterpiece, a sight of the heaven!
    Other people smell it, and think at ....urine.
    (BTW after 25 years I still can't understand how someone smell urine in it )

  25. #25
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,637

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Kouros is a classic fragrance with some incense, but I would not wear it if I was looking for an incense hit.

    Sadly, Kouros was a victim of its own success and cleaning products such as urinal cakes did copy its notes.
    As such, many people now have a mental association of Kouros and public toilets, which is a shame for such a remarkable fragrance.
    Completely agree, in fact I wrote a whole post about it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/280...oom-Deodorizer

    Your comment makes me wonder how it smelled for those first few years in the 80s, before its character hadn't been co-opted by the functional fragrance guys down the hall from Pierre.

    I definitely get the urine thing, and would say it's from the honey predominately, amplified by sage, musk and civet. I get an incense effect for sure, but I find it predominantly an animalic floral. The sweetness played against the animalics is one of the big reasons I find Kouros horrifying. Nevertheless, a friend is sending me a sample and I will try it on skin, just because I love animalics and can't get that memory out of my mind. Not looking forward, but it will be good research.

  26. #26
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    near Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,499

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Let's be fair to Kouros. It's not just about urine. There is also some barnyard/cow pie notes in there too.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

  27. #27

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I do get incense out of Kouros. But it's certainly not the main player. It's very complex.
    It's spicy, slightly floral, smokey, sweet, slightly animalic, it has a ton of musk and a touch of civet.
    It's amazing that such a clash of notes can blend together smoothly in the drydown.
    The biggest issue most people have with Kouros is the opening.
    I own a 50ml of Kouros and I don't want to be without it.
    I don't wear it monthly but there are times that I crave to wear it.
    I love my "compliment getters" like HM and Fierce, but I need my "Kouros" moment from time to time.
    I need that moment when something is on my mind or when I'm unhappy about something or need to reflect on certain things.
    It's brutal. Super masculine. Uncompromising. Kouros doesn't care. It gives me a rush.
    I mostly wear it when I'm at home. I have worn it a couple of times while shopping.
    I remember 1 old guy literally staring at me in the bus. Not in disgust though.
    It was like he was hypnotized. I have never seen that look on anyone's face.
    They might not expect such a fragrance on a guy who is in his twenties, lol.

    If you don't give Kouros a test on your skin, you should be banned from this forum.

    Oh BTW, my mother says it smells soapy.
    I never asked her if it smells soapy, as in urinal cakes.
    Because I don't care.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I do get incense out of Kouros. But it's certainly not the main player. It's very complex.
    It's spicy, slightly floral, smokey, sweet, slightly animalic, it has a ton of musk and a touch of civet.
    It's amazing that such a clash of notes can blend together smoothly in the drydown.
    The biggest issue most people have with Kouros is the opening.
    I own a 50ml of Kouros and I don't want to be without it.
    I don't wear it monthly but there are times that I crave to wear it.
    I love my "compliment getters" like HM and Fierce, but I need my "Kouros" moment from time to time.
    I need that moment when something is on my mind or when I'm unhappy about something or need to reflect on certain things.
    It's brutal. Super masculine. Uncompromising. Kouros doesn't care. It gives me a rush.
    I mostly wear it when I'm at home. I have worn it a couple of times while shopping.
    I remember 1 old guy literally staring at me in the bus. Not in disgust though.
    It was like he was hypnotized. I have never seen that look on anyone's face.
    They might not expect such a fragrance on a guy who is in his twenties, lol.

    If you don't give Kouros a test on your skin, you should be banned from this forum.

    Oh BTW, my mother says it smells soapy.
    I never asked her if it smells soapy, as in urinal cakes.
    Because I don't care.

    Good post.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Junkie FullCollapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I usually wear 2-3 sprays of Kouros, and Body Kouros is the incense based frag not the other way around. If you want another good designer incense frag, check out Fahrenheit Absolute. One of my favorites.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Others have challenged me in the past and given me good reasons relating to chemicals with long names, BUT,
    to my nose, urinal cakes do not remotely smell anything like urine.

    Yes, the two by definition are very often found together.
    But they don't smell remotely alike, one is trying to mask the smell of the other. The OP started off saying Kouros smelled like urinal cakes (I agree, as I was the first to make that observation here years ago), and mentions something almost like urine with a question mark.

    But within the discussion, people start talking about Kouros smelling like urine - the exact opposite of urinal cakes.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  31. #31

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    You will smell like someone who has soiled himself, then stuffed some urinal cakes down his pants to disinfect himself and to cover up the odour. Can't get much manlier/sexier/more awesome than that.

    I do sometimes smell it on other people and am tempted to congratulate the wearer on their great choice of perfume.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    You read things about spicy scents such as "it smells like pumpkin pie" or "it smells like Christmas." If you keep sampling and studying the scents you start to recognize the notes and your mind begins to "deconstruct" the scent when you spray it on, rather than your mind just making a snap decision based upon previous experience with smells that are complex (as opposed to something like an orange). The original Kouros has a clean musk/smoke quality that "cuts" the animalic elements, providing balance and dynamism. That version is basically a niche scent today, not for the "masses," excerpt for those who are seeking something very different from what's at the local dept. store. There are many dry wood scents with an incense feel, but you really should sample several to see what works. Some can seem great the first couple wearings but then they may make you feel ill or dizzy at some point. I suggest Trend Lui by Les Copains because it's softer and less "chemical" smelling than something like Encre Noire.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    A masterpiece of technical brilliance...scent art if you will! But for me not wearable.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ...to my nose, urinal cakes do not remotely smell anything like urine...
    Agreed.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Nope, you are not missing anything. Its smells like crap to some people (myself included) and good to others. For an incense scent, track down Gucci Pour Homme 1. It is a bit hard to find in stores but It will suit your needs.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    So I'm a relatively new frag head but have been coming to basenotes frequently as my main source for reviews and information. You guys are all great! Youtube reviewers Marc (robes) and Dan (mymickers) have really made this hobby a lot of fun for me.

    So as I said I just started last summer and am already pushing 40 bottles of cologne. Not too shabby and have decided to try and start collecting bottles of my favorite designer houses. Right now I'm really interested in YSL. My first was La Nuit de L'homme which I really enjoy. I purchased Body Kouros last week and I absolutely love it. I just wish it was a little stronger and had better longevity.

    Lately been looking for a real good incense cologne and I heard from numerous sources that kouros by YSL is a great incense cologne and I just got it today. I did a quick test before I went to work today and sprayed it on my arm (I think i may have done a little too much, 2 sprayish) and omg..... wow. Was not expecting that smell at all.

    First impression was a really dirty urinal cake smell almost and than as time went along and I would get whiffs of it, it almost reminded me of walking into a barn on a farm or something? Almost like urine but not really? It's hard to explain. I'm not sure if it's just having a bad reaction to my skin or did I spray too much? Could it be the bottle is too new and needs time to age a little cause I've heard that too. A fresh fragrance off the line needs time to blend. Btw I've purchased this from fragrancex.com so I'm not worried about it being a fake....

    I was really hoping for more of an incense based frag.

    My question is, is there a certain way to wear this? Am I smelling what I should be? and lastly are there any good incense fragrances in the designer game? I live in a small town in Canada and fragrancex has free shipping and no duties so it's a great site to deal with for me. Can you guys recommend a good incense frag that is on fragrancex.com?

    Thanks guys!

    Nothing wrong with your nose...this stuff stinks. And I never understand why people recommend it to newly interested frag heads looking for something nice to wear. It's a terrible recommendation.

    For a few decent designer incense frags you may want to look at Zirh Ikon, Carbone de Balmain, or HeWood Rocky Mountain Wood. But if you're really interested in incense, you should look toward niche fragrances: Comme Des Garcons 2 Man, L'Air Du Desert Marocain, Avignon, Kyoto, Memoir Man...the list goes on and on and on.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    Lately been looking for a real good incense cologne and I heard from numerous sources that kouros by YSL is a great incense cologne
    Your disappointment isn't surprising as I've never heard Kouros described as an incense. Try Chanel Coromandel or Heeley Cardinal.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    So I'm a relatively new frag head but have been coming to basenotes frequently as my main source for reviews and information. You guys are all great! Youtube reviewers Marc (robes) and Dan (mymickers) have really made this hobby a lot of fun for me.

    So as I said I just started last summer and am already pushing 40 bottles of cologne. Not too shabby and have decided to try and start collecting bottles of my favorite designer houses. Right now I'm really interested in YSL. My first was La Nuit de L'homme which I really enjoy. I purchased Body Kouros last week and I absolutely love it. I just wish it was a little stronger and had better longevity.

    Lately been looking for a real good incense cologne and I heard from numerous sources that kouros by YSL is a great incense cologne and I just got it today. I did a quick test before I went to work today and sprayed it on my arm (I think i may have done a little too much, 2 sprayish) and omg..... wow. Was not expecting that smell at all.

    First impression was a really dirty urinal cake smell almost and than as time went along and I would get whiffs of it, it almost reminded me of walking into a barn on a farm or something? Almost like urine but not really? It's hard to explain. I'm not sure if it's just having a bad reaction to my skin or did I spray too much? Could it be the bottle is too new and needs time to age a little cause I've heard that too. A fresh fragrance off the line needs time to blend. Btw I've purchased this from fragrancex.com so I'm not worried about it being a fake....

    I was really hoping for more of an incense based frag.

    My question is, is there a certain way to wear this? Am I smelling what I should be? and lastly are there any good incense fragrances in the designer game? I live in a small town in Canada and fragrancex has free shipping and no duties so it's a great site to deal with for me. Can you guys recommend a good incense frag that is on fragrancex.com?

    Thanks guys!
    Nah, you don't have a fake; you prefer sweeter ones. Try VCA Midnight in Paris for a incense you might like: woody and sweet.
    Kouros is an animalic, strong one, therefore you smell as "farm" (fecal, urine, whatever) some of its notes, that's all.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Just curious - who told you or where did you read that it smelled like incense?
    Regards,
    Renato

  40. #40

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Just curious - who told you or where did you read that it smelled like incense?
    Regards,
    Renato
    You've never read this? I do agree that it should not be called "an incense scent," as there are so many ones that have a very clear dry, sandalwood/incense quality and are also at least as complex (such as vintage Zino). I don't think the OP is seeking a complex scent, incense or otherwise, so Kouros is a bad recommendation, it seems.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Def not an incense frag. Exactly how incesey do you want?
    Comme's Kyoto is a great and wearable choice that's not too expensive. Also Avignon is good but more straight up incense than Kyoto.
    Black Cashmere is also good and totally unisex. Worth checking out also if you can get it cheaply.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    You might want to try a walk-through-the-mist application. This has helped me to appreciate 'difficult' frags. Or try light sprays on knees or trouser cuffs. That way, you get only the wafting atmospheric puffs rather than sharp blasts of the scent.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    You might want to try a walk-through-the-mist application. This has helped me to appreciate 'difficult' frags. Or try light sprays on knees or trouser cuffs. That way, you get only the wafting atmospheric puffs rather than sharp blasts of the scent.
    Good point here, but let me mention that I had no issues spraying on the original; no sharp edges with that one. That's also why I say that the second formulation (still with all the chrome trim but with Eau de Toilette moved on the bottle) is closer to Sung Homme, which is heavier, sharper, and denser.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You've never read this?
    No, never read it.
    I've just sprayed some on my hand - it reminds me as much of an incense scent as it does a citrus scent or an ambery oriental scent, i.e. zip.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  45. #45

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    No, never read it.
    I've just sprayed some on my hand - it reminds me as much of an incense scent as it does a citrus scent or an ambery oriental scent, i.e. zip.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Google Kouros incense and see the results. If you go to the Kouros page at Fragrantica you can do a page search and see a huge number of references. But as I said, I do not understand why someone would call it an incense scent. I don't remember detecting any dry, sandalwood/incense type note clearly.

  46. #46
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Excellent post. Brilliant and honest.

    It is, undoubtedly, one of the most polarizing scents ever made. However, important to note - it is also WAS YSL's best selling men's fragrance for years (I will not comment on L'Oreal and the latest reformulation, as that is NOT what Kouros truly embodies). I tried to stay in the "middle" with it over the years (liking it, wearing it on occasion and having some great memories earlier in life with it...including toga parties!) I've known it and worn it at times since the late 80's/early 90's (high school/college for me)...but, it is impossible to be 'in the middle' with something so polarizing. Especially scent - and, especially...Kouros! One either connects with this scent or they don't. I don't question those who don't or put them down. Kouros is just not for everyone. But, it is also not about urine, urinal cakes or anything fecal in nature. It embodies raw sexuality, sensuality and smells as good now (or even better after we've been lulled to sleep with the endless stream of mainstream synthetic fresh scents). And, I don't mind smelling "fresh" and have admiration for some of the classics in the genre - but when one puts on Kouros, you make a bold statement. And...like Suppressor, I too find that I must be in the mood. It is not an everyday scent. But, every day of my life that I wear it is...different, special and something transcendent. It is, in true Vintage form, a timeless masterpiece of masculine beauty with gorgeous animalic notes swirled into the Greek pillar of Pierre Bourdon's genius, that embodies everything so many other fragrances attempt to do.

    It combines fresh aromatic notes with florals, herbs and spices (aldehydes, bergamot, clary sage, cloves, artemisia, jasmine, orris root, coriander, cinnamon, vetiver & carnation with the rich animalic notes of incredible musk, civet (later, synthetic civetone - what later formulations have...still excellent) and deep, powerful base notes of leather, Oakmoss (Vintage), honey, patchouli, tonka bean, amber and vanilla.

    Is there incense in Kouros? Yes - but it is an accord (not an actual note) and found in the rich, gorgeous, smokey and amazing dry down of a fragrance that is on a short list of masterpieces that are, dare I say, only to be worn by those who truly appreciate them. While it may sound a bit overly-simplistic, there are two types of men who exist in this world - ones who WILL wear Kouros, and those who WILL NOT.

    Freud, Jung and others explored the vastness of the human mind. But, so did Pierre Bourdon with this creation. Psychologically, it defines us. Perhaps more than our religious beliefs, political affiliation, ethnicity, nationality, or any other way people try to categorize fellow human beings. It challenges us. It is uncompromising. While we are all human and I do not believe that any of the "defining" items listed prior make any difference whatsoever - we are part of the same race, the human race. Faith is personal to each and every one of us. Politics - we all want our governments to be honest and help the people who elected them. We all bleed the same. Countries are defined by lines on a map - we are all part of the same biosphere and live on the same planet...One Love. All men are equal.

    For those of us who share in this passion of olfactory art, we can honestly say that we either wear Kouros, or we don't. We shouldn't judge others. More importantly, it is how it makes one feel when they wear it. Personally, I have found an association with it later in life even more so than early. I have always connected my sexual energy and sensuality to it. After all, human beings are animals as well - with pheromones. We just happen to 'apply' scent so we can draw others closer to us - while other species sometimes release a natural hormone that has scent, display their fan of feathers or make mating calls...we do the same. Kouros either works with our body chemistry and we are comfortable and confident while wearing it dressed in everything from haute couture down to nothing at all (only Kouros)...and we certainly all know a pick-up line when we hear it. In the end, it is just another scent. Another fragrance. But, it is one that defines us...and our ability to perhaps relate to our own sexuality and confidence. I believe that at certain stages of life, we come to fully understand things that, while enjoyable, we didn't understand the full context of. Kouros, for me, is one of those things. I can no longer say that Kouros is a scent that, "I like". I absolutely love it. I crave it. It is a scent that makes me feel fantastic when I put it on...alive! It creates a feeling, unto itself, within me.

    A final point - during ALL the times I've worn Kouros since the late 80's/early 90's...I have never once been told that it smells "bad", "urinal" or "fecal". I receive compliments all the time when I wear it, and have for decades.

    In fact, this forum has inspired me. My Scent of the Day - Vintage Kouros.

    I hope others who don't like Kouros find what I find in another bottle of fragrance for themselves. While Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is still my 'soul mate' in life who I love & am deeply committed to, Kouros is my 'secret lover' - who I can share moments of incredible passion with...and explore things that I would not dare with Paco.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I do get incense out of Kouros. But it's certainly not the main player. It's very complex.
    It's spicy, slightly floral, smokey, sweet, slightly animalic, it has a ton of musk and a touch of civet.
    It's amazing that such a clash of notes can blend together smoothly in the drydown.
    The biggest issue most people have with Kouros is the opening.
    I own a 50ml of Kouros and I don't want to be without it.
    I don't wear it monthly but there are times that I crave to wear it.
    I love my "compliment getters" like HM and Fierce, but I need my "Kouros" moment from time to time.
    I need that moment when something is on my mind or when I'm unhappy about something or need to reflect on certain things.
    It's brutal. Super masculine. Uncompromising. Kouros doesn't care. It gives me a rush.
    I mostly wear it when I'm at home. I have worn it a couple of times while shopping.
    I remember 1 old guy literally staring at me in the bus. Not in disgust though.
    It was like he was hypnotized. I have never seen that look on anyone's face.
    They might not expect such a fragrance on a guy who is in his twenties, lol.

    If you don't give Kouros a test on your skin, you should be banned from this forum.

    Oh BTW, my mother says it smells soapy.
    I never asked her if it smells soapy, as in urinal cakes.
    Because I don't care.
    Last edited by ericrico; 8th April 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  47. #47

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    There is no civet note in Kouros, and never has been. Kouros is an aromatic fougère. Also, civet does not smell like urine.

  48. #48
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Actually, real civet was used in early Vintage Kouros. Later, civetone was created as a synthetic note to replace it (animal rights related). It was an excellent effort and we should be grateful. Correct - civet does not smell like urine. It actually has a strong musky smell. Calling it an Aromatic Fougere is correct as a classification, but loosely (as Kouros is not a fern-like scent). It has oakmoss and coumarin (tonka bean)...but is FAR more than that - and it should be noted that lavender is not a listed note in Kouros. So, loosely, a "fougere".

    A final point - the definition of "kouros" - A sculpture representing a standing nude young man, especially one produced in Greece before the fifth century b.c.

    In my opinion, it was Bourdon's idea to create a scent that would strip us down to our raw masculine, animalic, sexual beings. Borrowed from, "From Pyrgos" blog: Initially, it was the brainchild of Monsieur Saint-Laurent while visiting Greece. It's said that he wanted to bottle the pure essence of sun-baked Mediterranean life, and the result was a fragrance named after the male statues that guard Apollo's shores. The smells of ancient dust, fresh lemons, wildflowers, and salted stone inspired a perfume of epic proportions, something that was both classical and unrestrained, pristine, but of the earth.

    Wonderfully written...

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    There is no civet note in Kouros, and never has been. Kouros is an aromatic fougère. Also, civet does not smell like urine.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  49. #49

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Body Kouros remotely -I repeat:remotely- could remember something of incense.
    But Kouros "classic" absolutely not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Google Kouros incense and see the results. If you go to the Kouros page at Fragrantica you can do a page search and see a huge number of references. But as I said, I do not understand why someone would call it an incense scent. I don't remember detecting any dry, sandalwood/incense type note clearly.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I really recommend: Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Amouage Epic Man.

    I heard so much about Amouage Jubilation XXV, but to me it smells like fresh baker's yeast and sour dried fruits.

    Did you try the current Kouros formulation with white shoulders, which really is but a mere shadow of the true Kouros experience, or did you get lucky enough to get one of the older formulations in the bottle with the chrome shoulders?

    Looking forward to try Montale Full Incense.
    Last edited by Rubirosa; 8th April 2013 at 08:27 PM.

  51. #51
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,637

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    There is no civet note in Kouros, and never has been. Kouros is an aromatic fougère. Also, civet does not smell like urine.
    Cool that you know this. How long have you worked in the labs at Symrise?

  52. #52
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Hello Andre -

    I won't discuss Body Kouros, but to me, there is a definite smokiness (an incense "accord", not a note) - in the dry down of Vintage Kouros that comes from the rich Oakmoss, deep patchouli, leather, amber, tonka bean, and vanilla. The warmth from the oriental base notes under the other notes with the radiant musk and civet...there is something powdery but dense and further enriched and smoothed with the honey. It is an effect truly unique that I have not found elsewhere in fragrances.

    No, Kouros is NOT an incense fragrance...absolutely not. But, there is a blend of notes on my skin that takes on an incredibly warm and rich, smokey vibe. I've burned thousands of sticks and cones of incense - none can recreate the smell of what Kouros has. The animalic notes create an even deeper and more seductive aroma. Something incense doesn't even go into the realm of.

    Try a layered wearing of Vintage Kouros over a period of time...allowing it to dry down and then reapplying onto the same places on your skin. I tend to reach the point of smelling the accord more clearly after layering it at least once (or even twice). I believe extended wearings of Kouros (over 24-48 hours) with layering the scent is how it best reveals the incredible depth. If you shower, simply rinse but do not wash your neck or the back of your hands (wherever you applied) and it will stay. A little water actually can awaken scent. I usually reapply after a shower. It also smells incredible on fabric, although the smokiness is something I get more from my warm skin than the florals, spices and incredible base notes that stay on my shirt. Once again, an accord, not an actual note...one that also shows in warmer weather (or more body heat).

    Vintage Kouros is one of the most dynamic scents, which makes it only seem more 'alive', as it smells very different with temperature and humidity variations.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Body Kouros remotely -I repeat:remotely- could remember something of incense.
    But Kouros "classic" absolutely not.
    Last edited by ericrico; 8th April 2013 at 11:15 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  53. #53

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    All this prose about one of my favorites is making me want to douse myself in it even though I'm wearing two other scents already. I know the King will eclipse them handily.

  54. #54
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,070
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    You are one of the many missing the ability to appreciate one of the most intriguing fragrances ever created.

    Pity.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  55. #55

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Google Kouros incense and see the results. If you go to the Kouros page at Fragrantica you can do a page search and see a huge number of references. But as I said, I do not understand why someone would call it an incense scent. I don't remember detecting any dry, sandalwood/incense type note clearly.
    I Googled it as you suggested and saw a couple of references to it, though there were more to Body Kouros. On the Fragrantica page there is one chap claiming it's an "incense beast", several others saying "incense" and several others saying "Frankincense" - which doesn't make the notes list in the description. One chap talks about two of the notes not being incense, but seeming like incense to the nose, even though they aren't really.

    Most of the reviewers, however, seem to be like me and don't mention incense. The paucity of people smelling "incense" would make me feel skeptical.

    Curiously, one reviewer says it's a great scent for winter - where I find it at it's worst.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  56. #56

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    ericrico,

    you must be inspired today. 3 posts, and the one tying together politics, philosophy, biology, perfumery and possibly many other things besides. Phewy...

    Well done sir.

  57. #57
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Thank you Paul -

    Definitely inspired! I appreciate the kind words - my pleasure.

    Just a day in the life...

    Cheers,

    ericrico


    Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    ericrico,

    you must be inspired today. 3 posts, and the one tying together politics, philosophy, biology, perfumery and possibly many other things besides. Phewy...

    Well done sir.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Hey Renato -

    I hope you are well, my friend. No Frankincense in Kouros...the incense "accord" that I get is a warm, smoky blend of the base notes wafting up as plumes to my nose. Smelling the back of my hand now (with 80's Vintage Kouros layered on 90's Vintage). Yes, it is truly amazing. Incredibly rich.

    Needless to say, I've had immense olfactory pleasure today...

    Surprised you don't enjoy it in winter. I used to wear it less in cold weather as well, but this winter - I wore it frequently. The cool weather really lifted some notes and actually emphasized the warmth of some base notes. It stayed on me very well and projected wonderfully. I find spring and fall to be ideal for Kouros, but I've also enjoyed its raw sensuality on a hot, balmy night with the animalic notes mixing with my body chemistry. Incredible. Just apply less.

    I think the reality is that we all have our own associations with Kouros. Times, places, memories...it's part of what makes it special. To wear Vintage Kouros today is a bold statement - that is one point I think all of us can agree on. I do so...often, with a sly grin on my face.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I Googled it as you suggested and saw a couple of references to it, though there were more to Body Kouros. On the Fragrantica page there is one chap claiming it's an "incense beast", several others saying "incense" and several others saying "Frankincense" - which doesn't make the notes list in the description. One chap talks about two of the notes not being incense, but seeming like incense to the nose, even though they aren't really.

    Most of the reviewers, however, seem to be like me and don't mention incense. The paucity of people smelling "incense" would make me feel skeptical.

    Curiously, one reviewer says it's a great scent for winter - where I find it at it's worst.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  58. #58
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,863

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    I still like it today, but I couldn't get enough Kouros thirty years ago. It was as wild as I was, and it helped me wake up on hundreds of days when it seemed impossible.

    "When in the end, you appreciate Kouros, then you know that you really love perfume."

  59. #59

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hey Renato -

    I hope you are well, my friend. No Frankincense in Kouros...the incense "accord" that I get is a warm, smoky blend of the base notes wafting up as plumes to my nose. Smelling the back of my hand now (with 80's Vintage Kouros layered on 90's Vintage). Yes, it is truly amazing. Incredibly rich.

    Needless to say, I've had immense olfactory pleasure today...

    Surprised you don't enjoy it in winter. I used to wear it less in cold weather as well, but this winter - I wore it frequently. The cool weather really lifted some notes and actually emphasized the warmth of some base notes. It stayed on me very well and projected wonderfully. I find spring and fall to be ideal for Kouros, but I've also enjoyed its raw sensuality on a hot, balmy night with the animalic notes mixing with my body chemistry. Incredible. Just apply less.

    I think the reality is that we all have our own associations with Kouros. Times, places, memories...it's part of what makes it special. To wear Vintage Kouros today is a bold statement - that is one point I think all of us can agree on. I do so...often, with a sly grin on my face.

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    Hi,
    Long time no talk. I've got a couple of summer Kouros flankers - Ete and Sport - and the main problem I have with them is that when I wear them in summer, they remind me of Kouros which smells even better in summer.

    It must be a difference in our noses. I first bought Kouros in winter, and after three or four wearings was really unimpressed with it and put it aside for quite a while until a spur of the moment summer wearing.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  60. #60

    Default Re: Kouros Question (Am I missing something?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I Googled it as you suggested and saw a couple of references to it, though there were more to Body Kouros. On the Fragrantica page there is one chap claiming it's an "incense beast", several others saying "incense" and several others saying "Frankincense" - which doesn't make the notes list in the description. One chap talks about two of the notes not being incense, but seeming like incense to the nose, even though they aren't really.

    Most of the reviewers, however, seem to be like me and don't mention incense. The paucity of people smelling "incense" would make me feel skeptical.

    Curiously, one reviewer says it's a great scent for winter - where I find it at it's worst.
    Cheers,
    Renato

    We've been here before Renato, and as I said (on another threat) a "note" can be just an impression. It could be intended by the perfumer or it could be something that a lot of people think they smell. Clearly, a lot of people feel that way about "incense" in at least one formulation of Kouros. That's why I was specific, saying that I could not imagine a lot of people thinking there is a dry, sandalwood type of incense note in Kouros, such as in the CdG Incense series (Avignon, Kyoto, etc.). You can't tell other people what their impression of a scent is, but you can say you think you are better at detecting notes apparently intended by the perfumer than they are (based upon note pyramids), for whatever that is worth. As I've said more than once on my blog, I write for those who think I have something to offer them. For those who think my perceptions are often not consistent with theirs, the usefulness of my thoughts may be quite limited.

Similar Threads

  1. question about kouros
    By Stayclose in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th August 2012, 03:22 AM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 22nd December 2011, 03:55 AM
  3. Newbie question - fragrances missing from directory
    By drutt in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd May 2011, 08:24 PM
  4. Question about Kouros Eau d'Ete
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 02:18 AM
  5. Kouros-What have I been missing??
    By Thrax in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 8th March 2008, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •