Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Creed's Tabarome Millesime - such a disappointment

Seeing Creed's other fragrances that I like, I was expecting Tabarome (especially with some of the acclaim I've been hearing) to blow me away as a pleasant surprise. However, it was very much the opposite.

To be fair, it is mostly a well made fragrance. With the sandalwood, bergamot, and a little bit of musk, it does smell a little bit like Himalaya (and it reminds me a lot of Ungaro III, which I really don't like). The tobacco and vetiver leaves give it a dirty (but not too daring feel to it), but the tobacco note isn't the main attraction here. It's barely noticeable, despite it being the selling point of this fragrance. Honestly, I think the tobacco notes in Pure Havane and especially Tobacco Vanille are miles better.

In my opinion, what kills this fragrance is the overwhelming amount of ginger that is way overdone (and this is coming from a person who loves YSL L'Homme). The fragrance is way too sweet for what it is, and combined with the other grassy grainy notes, it's a nauseous headache. You can adapt to the ginger quickly, if you are constantly exposed to it, but as soon as you take a whiff after your nose is cleared, the initial smell is still overwhelming

As for performance, this projects very well, unlike some other Creeds. As for originality, it's not the most unoriginal thing out there, but if you've experienced the rest of the Creed line, you'll find that a lot of what's in Tabarome is nothing new and it really isn't creative or distinctive enough to evoke anything. It's not very versatile either. Older men might like this (but this isn't too dated0, but most people under 30 probably won't want to wear this for one reason or another. I don't see this as a special occasion scent either (there are much better options for whatever the occasion may be). If you are into old school masculine fragrances, there are much better options as well.

If you can avoid the dreadful ginger note, and get past the fact that Creed screwed up on the tobacco part, you can see what the rest of this fragrance is, the beautiful base notes. This really is a disappointment because it is mostly a great fragrance, that was ruined by a couple of careless missteps.

I can appreciate it for what it does right and overlook what it does wrong to see the positive qualities, but when it comes to the price, I'm won't pay triple digits for a fragrance that I'm nuetral on. I can just buy Himalaya and forget about Tabarome to be honest.

So, I really don't recommend it.

Default Re: Creed's Tabarome Millesime - such a disappointment

Not sure if you are aware of the difference between "Tabarome" and "Tabarome Millesime" - they are totally different frangrances and most positive comments I've read are in fact for the former one (which is discontinued and very hard to find).

Personally love this fragrance and wouldn't be without it in my collection.

I was initially a bit underwhelmed when I first got it too. I really like ginger scents like Bvlgari Blv, but the ginger in this one I don't think particularly stands out.

I've never had any positive comment from wearing it. I can't say I've ever fathomed a proper occasion for wearing it either, so lately I've just been wearing it to the supermarket and the beach. I'll be taking it over to Italy later this year, as I always have a classy Creed scent over there.
    Regards,
    Renato

I didn't care for it either. Swapped it for Himalaya.

Along with Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal, this is one of my favourites from the 'millesime' line.

Me too tried the Tabarome Millesime 3 days ago, and what I got was pass this one!
    Nothing new or original, hundreds of other scents are similar to this and nothing extraordinary was with it...
    Despite my respect for the Creed Brand, this was not my choice specially with this price tag!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I didn't care for it either. Swapped it for Himalaya.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've never had any positive comment from wearing it.
    I don't think this is a compliment getter either. To the average nose, it will smell like any other 80's cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Not sure if you are aware of the difference between "Tabarome" and "Tabarome Millesime" - they are totally different frangrances and most positive comments I've read are in fact for the former one (which is discontinued and very hard to find).
    I'm aware of the difference. I don't have Vintage Tabarome. I have Tabarome Millesime.

I've had it since 2009. After a few wears I was caught by how exact mr. robyogi's 2006 review captured my experience with it:
    "A bright, refreshing take on tobacco. The ginger certainly livens things up. It's also a fairly powdery scent, with a substantial floral sweetness to it. I could see this being unisex (but still mostly leaning masculine). If Vintage Tabarome is musty, wet, old-school manliness, smoked cigar tobacco, then New Tabarome seems to be crisp, tart, fresh tobacco leaves and flowers with an almost aldehydic powdery quality. It has lots of sillage and for me great longevity. My only complaint is that sometimes the base gets a little sour on my skin, and that combined with the powdery quality can be annoying. Most of the time I really enjoy wearing this one as it exudes a crisp, fresh, classy scent without the usual aquatic or fruity notes. I like it better in cooler weather, where it has less tendency to turn sour."<my emphasis>

"Tart" nails it. I appreciate the sour taste perception with this (as well as light, citrusy e.g. AdG), prefer it in mild weather, and hold it a few rungs above Himalaya. I find it unique. No deep regrets but, having a better idea of what's out there re tobacco, if I had a do-over I'd probably make do with samples/a decant.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 6th April 2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Haven't smelled it in a few years. Will stop by Saks and get a sample.

Basenotes Plus

+1!!!! Sorry you didn't find the connection with it, noirdrakkar.

I simply love this juice and find it to be truly exceptional! One of my absolute favorite bottlings (especially for the price) from the Creed house.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally love this fragrance and wouldn't be without it in my collection.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I loved it, I feel the ginger adds a lot of depth. Happy with my bottle.

I'm a huge fan of the house, but TM is one of the Creeds that I like the least (along with Royal Water). I get no tobacco in this at all and it just doesn't sit well on my skin. I agree in that the amount of ginger kills this fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I hear literally no good things about Royal Water lol.

The "vintage" Tabarome is the good one, but good luck finding any.

Ahh .. found my bottle again and cannot remember the last time I wore it. It's definitely a retro scent IMO and I can only wear it when in the mood for something retro. But when I am, I again forget to reach for it.

This good shit, y'all. You know what im sayin'?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    This good shit, y'all. You know what im sayin'?
    nah i dont lol