Code of Conduct

Default Patou Pour Homme to be reissued?

Check out the first review over at Fragrantica.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/J...omme-3532.html

Who knows. I wouldn't hold your breath though.
    If by some miracle it is, I'm sure it will only be a shadow of its former self.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme to be reissued?

I'll take the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to this one.

Whens the last time this house put out any fragrances anyway??

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Same here.

Anyway, I am curious to see what they will "re-issue" , considering the restriction laws and high-cost of some ingredients....

Thumbs up Re: Patou Pour Homme to be reissued?

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    + 1
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

It makes no difference as I can't imagine that it wouldn't smell different to me (largely due to regulations, perhaps) that I probably wouldn't pay $10 for 100 ml of it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 8th April 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quick, someone start the reformulation of Patou PH real soon...That's what we are eagerly waiting for!!!

Curious to test it, as the original one is not accessable for me...

Sound Scents

As others have mentioned due to IFRA restrictions of Oakmoss and other initially utilized ingredients, any reformulation of this Jean Kerleo masterpiece is not going to smell the same. I am happy to own the original release and certainly would try any re-issue, but I am not holding my breath.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The amount of vintage bottles on ebay lately indicates that it will probably be reissued soon. Supposedly the people who own the rights to the fragrance want to make it as good as possible, and supposedly Jean Kerleo was asked to help out. He's old know, but I'm sure he had some good input if so.

The older fragrance formulas (mostly designer) are generally more intricate, and have a hard time accommodating the current IFRA regulations, but if they did everything imaginable it could be decent. It will be interesting anyway. Looking forward to it!

And a good thing to remember is that while it smells good close up, it's complexity can be deceiving. You judge Patou pour Homme on it's sillage. He was a master in all respects, but producing fragrances with great sillage that had tenacity and the right trajectory was Jean Kerleo's specialty.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th April 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Maybe it's time we start a kickstarter/fundraiser for the development of a proper oakmoss replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The amount of vintage bottles on ebay lately indicates that it will probably be reissued soon. Supposedly the people who own the rights to the fragrance want to make it as good as possible, and supposedly Jean Kerleo was asked to help out. He's old know, but I'm sure he had some good input if so.

The older fragrance formulas (mostly designer) are generally more intricate, and have a hard time accommodating the current IFRA regulations, but if they did everything imaginable it could be decent. It will be interesting anyway. Looking forward to it!

And a good thing to remember is that while it smells good close up, it's complexity can be deceiving. You judge Patou pour Homme on it's sillage. He was a master in all respects, but producing fragrances with great sillage that had tenacity and the right trajectory was Jean Kerleo's specialty.
    Thanks for the info.
    My fingers are crossed.
    Here's to hoping for the best.

I will buy a bottle, with or without the real oakmoss. I think you guys sometimes exaggerate the effects of reformulations. M7 is an example.

I already have two miniature bottles of Patou Pour Homme, both full, and I will be able to make the comparisons MYSELF.

Hope this all comes to fruition. I'd blind buy a bottle in a heartbeat. I've read about the legend for so long now. Just hope it does not retail for like $200 or more...

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Maybe it's time we start a kickstarter/fundraiser for the development of a proper oakmoss replacement.
    Finding a replacement will be very expensive, and I think Kickstarter has a limit to how much you set your goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I will buy a bottle, with or without the real oakmoss. I think you guys sometimes exaggerate the effects of reformulations. M7 is an example.

I already have two miniature bottles of Patou Pour Homme, both full, and I will be able to make the comparisons MYSELF.
    Same here.

Basenotes Plus

I am holding my breath (so that I won't smell it when it comes out).

A wonderful gentleman gifted me a mini of the vintage.

For that I am grateful.

for swap/sale:

Thanks to sables for these links. Not a replacement, but a different angle: "oakmoss low atranol"

http://www.biolandes.com/ouverturepd...0724.pdf&lg=fr

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...k_tree_mo.html

http://www.biolandes.com/biolandes-m...ttre-71-fr.pdf

But oakmoss is now just a small part of reformulations, especially for things like Patou pour Homme whose original formula is made up of of so many naturals which are now regulated or banned. Looking forward to it either way!

-
    Last edited by pluran; 11th April 2013 at 09:22 AM.

I have smelled Jean Kerleo's own effort at reconstruction of PPH which he did in 2011. In his words, there are many many ingredients which cannot be used or are not available anymore. Oakmoss and sandalwood are not real problems, however as the current "safer" oakmoss smells pretty good (in my opinion one of the reasons that the latest batch of guerlain's are superior to their immediate predecessors) and sandalwood is present in very small quantity.

The reconstruction is definitely recognisable as PPH and is a very good fragrance but it lacks the smooth richness at the beginning and particularly down below in the base. The vintage is much superior.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I have smelled Jean Kerleo's own effort at reconstruction of PPH which he did in 2011. In his words, there are many many ingredients which cannot be used or are not available anymore. Oakmoss and sandalwood are not real problems, however as the current "safer" oakmoss smells pretty good (in my opinion one of the reasons that the latest batch of guerlain's are superior to their immediate predecessors) and sandalwood is present in very small quantity.

The reconstruction is definitely recognisable as PPH and is a very good fragrance but it lacks the smooth richness at the beginning and particularly down below in the base. The vintage is much superior.
    To me the richness is the major reason to seek out a scent like this. If that is missing, but you can obtain a similar vintage one (even the original version of Bijan for Men) at a low price, then it makes little sense to seek out even a "good reformulation," IMO.

Oooh, fascinating and exciting bits of information, pluran and hirch_duckfinder.

Regarding the reconstruction of PPH: any idea what those restricted/banned could be? From the published pyramids, I can see Bergamot, Civet and Coumarin. Smooth richness points to sandalwood and oakmoss, imo.

I'm pretty sure that even if, by any chance, it will smell just as good as the original formula, there will always be someone saying the vintage was better...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

That much is certain but the question for me is, if I will like it enough. I'm usually all about getting the real deal but with prices that exorbitant, I'd be willing to compromise if it comes close enough.

That much is certain but the question for me is, if I will like it enough. I'm usually all about getting the real deal but with prices that exorbitant, I'd be willing to compromise if it comes close enough.
    ^^^ exactly. There are several Guerlains that while being pretty different from their original formulas, they're still absolutely outstanding composition-wise and quality-wise (e.g. Sous Le Vent, Vega, Jicky EDP, Vol De Nuit Parfum...). Sous Le Vent vintage, beside being extremely rare, doesn't go for any less than $1000 but you can have a terrific rendition of it by buying the current formulation for something like $300...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Oooh, fascinating and exciting bits of information, pluran and hirch_duckfinder.

Regarding the reconstruction of PPH: any idea what those restricted/banned could be? From the published pyramids, I can see Bergamot, Civet and Coumarin. Smooth richness points to sandalwood and oakmoss, imo.
    The formula list for PPH is long and complicated. It doesn't closely relate to a note list.

Yes, I thought so but what's your guess / perception?

This is very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Is this version of Patou Pour Homme available anywhere now for sampling ?

But why not go for a scent like Missoni Uomo, which is still available at non-crazy prices on ebay, for example?

I own a bottle of Missoni Uomo but (in my opinion) it smells totally different from PPH - close to Fahrenheit actually.

Maybe the reissue could be different but good anyway...

Lol@ this thread. Hate to be a "troll", but man...perhaps my relatively inexperienced nose (at the time) couldn't quite appreciate the complexity and quality of this fragrance when I first tried the Patous years ago, but I definitely was rather unimpressed by them. I was rather surprised that this understated, unimpressive, older gentleman aftershave lotion smelling fragrance was so revered by so many.
    This fragrance is definitely not for me.

It is not aftershave smelling, at least not to my nose. It is a very complex fragrance, very masculine, formal, warm, green in the beginning, with delicious smoking/burning notes in the middle, woody, with creamy sandalwood in the end.

I for one can't wait to try it, in any of its permutations. I have never tried the vintage, and maybe if this new one is any good, I'll just keep it that way.

I prefer to measure reformulations by how much pleasure they give me in the moment, not how much better or worse they are than previous iterations.

I mean, if the current Derby is as good as it is (to give an example), I see no reason why the nose / noses couldn't do something just as good for this one if they really did make their very best effort.

I have a 1.5ml sample of the 2011 reconstruction, as well as a 5ml decant of the vintage. I haven't compared them yet, as I decided to let the reconstructed sample age a bit. I'll have to test them side-by-side within the next couple of weeks...

Please do and report back! May I ask how you guys aquired the reconstruction samples?

Please do and report back! May I ask how you guys aquired the reconstruction samples?
    Mine was acquired from a generous UK Basenoter, who managed to get some of the 2011 juice from Jean Kerleo himself.

I got my vintage Patou (2 mini bottles) from Ebay Deutschland. Ebay.de. I paid very little and the bottles are original.

Didn't care for the vintage much, nice but just smelled..... old. I dunno like some of the older ones I have, good stuff but rarely anything I would wear and not very interesting.

Maybe the new one will be.... newer.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Been waiting for a while, looking forward to the re-release of PPH.

Thanks for this - encouraging, all things considered. I picked up a 60ml vintage a few years back and some minis and I can imagine it would be hard to reproduce the same depth these days, but if Mr. Kerleo is involved then we should at least get close as long the new owners don't screw with it - i.e. "updated for the current market" - or scrimp on budget.

If they are re-releasing PH I wonder if Prive has a shot as well?

Apologies for the tangent, but regarding this view of Guerlain's improved batches, when did this start? That is, if I am interested to get a good batch wth the current 'safer' oakmoss option, how do I find it?

does anyone know when, where and whom will carry PPH?

really looking forward to this
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I hope it's better than the sample I got from TPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I hope it's better than the sample I got from TPC.
    Of the original version? If you didn't like that one, why even bother with a reissue? That's like ordering apple pie and whishing it won't have apples in it. Makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 29th April 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Of the original version? If you didn't like that one, why even bother with a reissue? That's like ordering apple pie and whishing it won't have apples in it. Makes no sense to me.
    Because I wonder if the sample was past its best, given the rave reviews PPH gets. It may be worth trying some 'fresh' juice.

I see. But don't hold your breath because I doubt TPC would sell spoiled PPH (which I have never came across a spoiled one so far) and also because a reissued version has a high chance of failure.

I think PPH is actually one of the best masculines in existence but a hype like that blows expectations out of proportions.

Just to compare would be interesting.

Gentlemen, please have a look: the new Jean Patou website with Patou pour Homme listed!

http://www.jeanpatou.com/heritage/?lang=fr

they did it w Havana.

Thanks, sables.

It's a beauty. So many great fragrances. Looking forward to finding out which ones we'll be smelling. :-)

News/interview about the reissue of Jean Patou heritage scents:
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html

Promising news really keep coming up now. Very nice!

From the fragrantica-article:
    Then, at the end of May 2013 we're going to relaunch three other perfumes—Jean Patou pour homme, Eau de Patou and Chaldée will be on the market again. The bottles will be of the same simple design that recalls Ma Collection Jean Patou. The first salespoint will be here, in our flagship boutique at 5, rue de Castiglione, and then these perfumes will be presented in a very limited number of selected department stores worldwide. Like Bergdorf Goodman in the USA, maybe Harrods in London, and we are going to choose places in Dubai and Russia.
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 15th May 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Gentlemen, please have a look: the new Jean Patou website with Patou pour Homme listed!

http://www.jeanpatou.com/heritage/?lang=fr
    Thanks for that sables.

On my browser, the "e-boutique" button is not working - is Patou Pour Homme available for sale now ?

See my post above. It will be released by the end of the month but only in their own boutique and a handful of selcted higher end department stores worldwide.

e-boutique isn't working for me either, I guess it's "under construction".

Basenotes Plus

Wow, this is excellent news indeed. Can't wait to see if the new formulation of PPH smells the same as the original.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?