Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you think Givenchy Pi smells old/mature?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 4.65%
  • No

41 95.35%

Default Givenchy Pi smells old and mature - Yes or No?

I've been told by a lot of people that Givenchy Pi is the ultimate vanilla fragrance for high schoolers and for collage kids, as far as designer fragrances goes. They say that it's sweet and sugary warm and creamy vanilla.

Other people says that it smells like an "old ladies perfume" or like a mature/old man cologne. I haven't smelled it yet, so I don't know. But I'm planing on blind buying it since it's pretty cheap and that Givenchy fragrances aren't available anymore here in Sweden.

How would you describe it as? Young or old?

Default Re: Givenchy Pi smells old and mature - Yes or No?

Versatile for all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Versatile for all ages.
    But does it smell old? That's the question!

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, no, but can be indeed pulled off by someone more mature. It's just that I discovered it first during the early 2000s, when it was one of the most recent releases on the market, thus I am probably biased enough to associate more with a younger target audience.

Post Thanks / Like

For goodness sake no!
    Last edited by TLS; 7th April 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No it doesn't fall in "old people" category.

I think anyone can wear any fragrance. I think Pi is very contemporary.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not at all. Very versatile fragrance.

Pi doesn't smell old, but it does seem to wear very differently on different people - more so than other scents I'm familiar with, anyway. I really like it, and I noticed it on someone who smelled fantastic. And I do mean FANTASTIC! ...but on my skin, Pi smelled terrible. I was shocked. I was ready to buy it, but I figured I'd give it a test wear just in case and I'm glad I did because I really hated it on my skin... but on the right person, Pi can be magic.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

very modern.great sillage and longevity. can be worn by all ages but not an old man's scent.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

No.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Pi doesn't smell old, but it does seem to wear very differently on different people - more so than other scents I'm familiar with, anyway. I really like it, and I noticed it on someone who smelled fantastic. And I do mean FANTASTIC! ...but on my skin, Pi smelled terrible. I was shocked. I was ready to buy it, but I figured I'd give it a test wear just in case and I'm glad I did because I really hated it on my skin... but on the right person, Pi can be magic.
    You make a very good point. I should really sample it then, rather than blind buying it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily a mature scent, but I'm honestly not particularly fond of it. I personally don't get the strong vanilla most talk about. At least it's not my idea of the type of vanilla I like. I've never really thought benzoin or tonka smell like vanilla. Yes, they are sweet, but when I think of vanilla, I think of that custardy, foody, French Vanilla type scent. And I don't get that at all from scents like Pi that rely heavily on benzoin. So it kind of depends on what type of vanilla scent you are looking for. If you like the more gourmand/literal foody type vanilla, then I wouldn't recommend Pi. In other words, Pi smells "perfumey" in a traditional sense of what a sweet base would smell like in older style scents. But it's not a literal, edible type vanilla note to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I own it, but think it more a younger person's scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Not old man-ish at all. Very sweet. Very creamy. Very delicious.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I think anyone can wear any fragrance.
    This...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not.

This is very subjective but to clarify what does old and mature smell like?

Is there a set of notes that are set aside by the fragrance houses to put into scents that are aimed for people over a certain age?..lol

Or is it that your father/uncle used to wear similar fragrances, if so then it's not the scent that is old or mature but the association you have with it on someone who is mature. Thus it's not the scent but your perception.

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere between young and dead Pi can be worn. It's easy to wear and can suit anyone who enjoys vanilla style fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This is very subjective but to clarify what does old and mature smell like?

Is there a set of notes that are set aside by the fragrance houses to put into scents that are aimed for people over a certain age?..lol

Or is it that your father/uncle used to wear similar fragrances, if so then it's not the scent that is old or mature but the association you have with it on someone who is mature. Thus it's not the scent but your perception.
    Well as I said, I've never smelled Pi. However, I've heard and seen many people that claims that it does smell old. Like a "old ladies perfume"

No. Very versatile IMO.

Imo it does have a old lady smelling vibe to it, it is a very powdery vanillia. As Jack Hunter stated it is perception that leads an individual into associating one thing with something else. And for me Pi reminds me of old ladies I used to smell when I was a child going to church.

Once again just my opinion, because the overall consensus seems to be that it isn't old and mature but very versatile.

I love vanilla in a fragrance so with that being said I would definitely say sample first.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted "old" just because that is what I get when I see the bottle and smell the juice. Never have liked this stuff at all. Not even close. But as some of you know, you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because my skin can turn many masculines into "perfumey" and "old lady.".(LIDGE, Eau Savage among others)
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Somewhere between young and dead Pi can be worn. It's easy to wear and can suit anyone who enjoys vanilla style fragrances.
    I think it would suit a dead person better.

There are some tremendous vanilla based fragrances out there -- this isn't one of them imo. Check out 'Vanilla Marble' by Agonist as a [slightly] cheaper version of Guerlain's SDV.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IMO, Pi is quite good. Sweet as it is, it turns quite woody after a while and this is where the frag "ages", if one can say so. Honestly, the idea of scents and age is a bit silly to me but i realise there is no accounting for tastes and perceptions. Today, i would wear Pi with confidence, and was 25 the same number of years ago..
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

givenchy's pi doesn't smell old. it's a little on the sweeter side, but i'd say young and old people alike can wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    THIS! How many fragrances are marketed specifically to senior citizens? These men were most likely not "old" when they wore the scents now associated with them.

Pi does not smell like a scent that I associate with a senior.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think it would suit a dead person better.
    One of my guilty pleasures. I never really took to these kind of sweet scents (Pi, Lolita LAM, Le Male, Body Kouros, Altamir, etc) and every single one had one foot on Ebay already but then again I do enjoy them sometimes in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    This.. I smells good on other people sometimes, and I think on paper especially it smells fantastic.. But it really can mix weridly.. I think its the tonka bean. Any time I put this, or anything else with tonka bean on my skin it can end up smelly really funky and off putting. Its one of those kinda feelings you smell something good but then the closer you get.. The worse it actually smells. Its strange like that. It actually sucks because I have a new harlem bottle as well that seems to have more tonka bean in it then ive had before and I have a hard time wearing it now. =/

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't smell old, if by old you mean more mature, then no. Doesn't smell too youthful either. I'd say a perfect age for this scent would be 20's or 30's; but it's all about personal preference. One thing is for sure, must love vanilla for this one.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

pi went sour on my skin..kind of like a sweet sickening smell.....it was almost a full bottle of a hand me down from my brother back around 2000
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I don't find it to be an "old" or "mature" scent. Pi is a very sweet scent that could be pulled off by a male or female, old or young. Personally, I like the EDP version (hard to get in the U.S.) the most because the sweetness is toned down and it has a woodier, nuttier vibe to it. Get the EDP if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I don't find it to be an "old" or "mature" scent. Pi is a very sweet scent that could be pulled off by a male or female, old or young. Personally, I like the EDP version (hard to get in the U.S.) the most because the sweetness is toned down and it has a woodier, nuttier vibe to it. Get the EDP if you can find it.
    If the EDP has a toned down sweetness then I don't want it. I love overy sweet fragrances. And the fact that the EDP is woodier is also a negative thing to me since I don't like woods. Thanks for the heads up tho