Code of Conduct

Thread: Narrow shoes

Default Narrow shoes

My feet are narrow and I have a very hard time finding shoes that fit well. Unless I go way upscale, I can't usually find narrows. I wind up buying lace-up shoes just so I can cinch the shoes tightly onto my feet. It would be nice to find slip-ons, mules, heels, etc. that would actually fit me. Somebody told me that I have a European foot and that finding narrow width shoes is much easier in Europe. The three pair of shoes (isn't that pathetic) that I wear for dressier occasions are made by a company called Fidji, out of Portugal. I had to order them from Zappo's. So, does anybody have a recommendation? I'm not averse to shopping online.

Default Re: Narrow shoes

Your ancestors were gatherers not hunters lol.lol.

for swap/sale:

Italian/Spanish might work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Your ancestors were gatherers not hunters lol.lol.
    I realize you're teasing me, but is there a kernel of truth in your statement? Looking at foot width and ancestry would make an interesting anthropological research topic (maybe).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Italian/Spanish might work as well.
    Any particular brand?

Hunters had wider feet for extra grip/traction for fleeing from or chasing prey.

for swap/sale:

@ curly11 "Any particular brand?"

Sorry, the guys will be more help here, but remembered that Mexican also come up fairly narrow - they used to make amazing boots.
    Shopping online for shoes can be difficult until you know the fit & quality of a brand imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Shopping online for shoes can be difficult until you know the fit & quality of a brand imo.
    Agree

My feet are narrow too, so I feel your pain! Most shoes just want to slip right off of my heel. Luckily, the Florida weather allows me to wear sandals for most of the year!!

We have a store here that's known for their large inventory of hard to fit sizes & they also sell online. Maybe you'll have some success with them. Good luck!

http://www.peltzshoes.com/

@genie jeanie. Will look at peltzshoes.

Everybody, thanks for the comments/suggestions.

I have the opposite problem, but you should check out allenedmonds.com for shoes. they have narrow to extra wide available in all of their styles. The shoes run about 300 bucks a pair, but you can call their shoe bank and see if they have a pair of "seconds" in the style and size you require. The seconds are practically identical to the "firsts", and approximately half the price.

Curly11, my feet are narrow. And long. Like the rest of me. I feel ya. I think there are 3 qualities in good shoes, holding quality even - fit, look, and price, and with narrow feet you can get two of the three, but not all three.

Generally speaking what i do is just go upscale, and don't have many pair of shoes. Pumps and heels seem to fit better than flats, have more trouble finding athletic shoes, and flats. shoes that lace up are worst because they have to be laced all the way closed and look stupid.

Online shopping works well because you can filter the results by size and avoid disappointment when all the cute stuff is not available in your size. Cole Haan makes narrows, as does Donald Pliner, these are actually comfortable and fit (the Cole Haan seem to be getting wider though). And no, I can't pay full price for these. I have literally "stalked" a pair of heels for a year, waiting for them to go on sale so that i could afford them, and hoping my size would still be available. Sofft brand, don't bother, they say they have narrow but the narrow is not, it is about a B. Stuart Weitzman, good but not as comfortable; BCBG just runs a little narrow, their M is about an A, so those sometimes fit. Vaneli, Trotters, Softwalk, Naturalizer - all good fit but not usually good looking, sort of grandma shoes.

For the spendier shoes i like these sites (not in any order)

nordstroms.com
    6pm.com
    zappos.com

For wider price selection:
    bamason.com
    Peltz, as previously mentioned.
    And again, zappos.com and 6pm.com
    amazon.com can work, and ebay, they get the tail end of stock and sometimes you can get really good shoes for a really good price, interesting ones that you don't see in stores, it's just luck of the draw, but worth keeping an eye on.

Good luck.

@ Robin-in-FL. Thanks for your recommendations. I agree about the upscale issue. That's the only place to go if you want a good fit, but the prices...OUCH! I think it's worth it if you want your feet to remain healthy and relatively pain free, however sometimes coming up with the money is very difficult. As far as athletic shoes go, I just buy New Balance.

Basenotes Member

If you are looking for narrow shoes, Asian shoes would fit you well. Good luck in finding them though. It’s pretty costly to have them shipped.
    www.luvessentials.com

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    @ Robin-in-FL. Thanks for your recommendations. I agree about the upscale issue. That's the only place to go if you want a good fit, but the prices...OUCH! I think it's worth it if you want your feet to remain healthy and relatively pain free, however sometimes coming up with the money is very difficult. As far as athletic shoes go, I just buy New Balance.
    New Balance are narrow but too deep for my feet, the shape is wrong somehow. I can wear their B, actually, but have to put inserts in the bottom to fill them up. Asics seem to work ok. Nike runs narrow, but I am not sure they actually go up to my size, LOL - I'm a pretty reliable 9.5 for work shoes but usually 10.5 for athletic shoes. My daughter wears the Nike though.

My feet don't grow and I am light on them so work shoes last a loooooong time, I have some going on 10 years, just get the heels re-tapped. So I sort of don't worry about how much they cost. Nothing older than 10 years only because our dog is ten. I lost my entire shoe wardrobe to his puppyhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    New Balance are narrow but too deep for my feet, the shape is wrong somehow. I can wear their B, actually, but have to put inserts in the bottom to fill them up. Asics seem to work ok. Nike runs narrow, but I am not sure they actually go up to my size, LOL - I'm a pretty reliable 9.5 for work shoes but usually 10.5 for athletic shoes. My daughter wears the Nike though.

My feet don't grow and I am light on them so work shoes last a loooooong time, I have some going on 10 years, just get the heels re-tapped. So I sort of don't worry about how much they cost. Nothing older than 10 years only because our dog is ten. I lost my entire shoe wardrobe to his puppyhood.
    Wow, your feet really are thin. When I wear New Balance, I use the extra lace hole to create a firmer cinch at the top, and I always wear relatively thick socks.

Aren't dogs wonderful? You must've been distressed when your shoe wardrobe became nothing more than scraps of leather & such. Your thinking about the expense is very practical. I just get too annoyed when I look at prices, especially of shoes. Some are so cheaply manufactured that I resent spending the money on them. I've thought about bespoke shoes. Expensive, but I bet they'd fit well.

it must be bad