Code of Conduct

Default Help at the Duty Free - Newbie looking for advice for buying a new frag...

Ok,

So this is my first post, i need some advice as i am new to the world of fragrances...

The scenario -
    I travel a lot with work, in and out of airports; in and out of duty free shops. Flumoxed by all the different fragrances, price points, bottle, adverts and pocket full of scented pieces of card - i never walk out with a bottle.

So help me -
    I want to buy a fragrance which i can wear more biased for a night out than being in the office, but my nights out don't revolve around dancing in a sweaty dark club, trying to pull a girl in white stillettos - but i do want a smell which may turn a head. Fresh and citrusy smells just remind me of soap - so i think i an looking for more smoke, musk, spice - am i right?

Price is also important - many times i have picked up Chanel Bleu but not bought it because of the price - i am willing to spend it, but i want to know if it is right. Also i want the fragrance to be not to obscure that i will not be able to find it in the airport duty frees of Europe and USA.

Over to you...

please ask for any clarifications..

Default Re: Help at the Duty Free - Newbie looking for advice for buying a new frag...

Go with Bleu de Chanel the next time you pick it up and buy it.

Default Re: Help at the Duty Free - Newbie looking for advice for buying a new frag...

Dior Sauvage Extreme will do the job (smell only at your wrist and forget the notes that are listed). Bleu if you like it so much, as hednic said: don't hesitate. Don't try more than two each time.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Thanks for the advice hednic and Virtue&sin - i probably will pick up bleu and get my wallet out next time... even if it just for the magnetic top...

there seems a lot of positive vibes over YSL la nuit on this site.. is this one that should be on my radar - maybe more of a night time scent (i am trying to translate it's name..ha!)

- - - Updated - - -

just looking through the reviews there seems to be 2x dior sauvage extreme - one which is 1982, one which says 2010 with 'new' in parenthesis.

silly question but is the 2010 a reissue? an update? is the 1982 discontinued, or will i also find it on the shelf... sorry if this is a daft question.

At airports you will find the "new" one Dior SE which means: "reformulated". Try on your wrist to check if you like it.
    YSL-LNuit: is ok and you can use it day or night, sweet, quite popular.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

I think Guerlain Shalimar is a nice option. Even though it is marketed at as a women's fragrance, I think that the sandalwood and vetiver give it a nice touch of masculinity, IMHO. Get the EdT if you want to be subtle, or the EdP if you want to broadcast your scent to the world.

Nice suggestion - new to the game and starting off in the women's section...

I'll check it out...

In Europe, you will also probably find Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste), which is a very smooth and warm sandalwood.

cacio

Overcome By Fumes

Boucheron Jaipur Homme

Egoiste is a good suggestion. I find La Nuit de l'Homme pleasant but boring. I would stay away from Shalimar - it is one of the most well known feminine fragrances in the world. Not something most guys can pull off easily, IMO.

Other ones to check out:

Dior Homme Intense
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Eau Extreme
    Eau Sauvage Parfum (totally different than the other one)
    Opium Pour Homme Eau de Parfum
    The core Guerlain classic masculines: Vetiver, Habit Rouge, and Heritage.
    A*Men Pure Havane
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you all for your help -

so many choices now - I will check a few out next week as I am flying back and forth from Florence (no time for shopping in the city)

One last question - is the duty free the best place for me to be buying from. I am presuming they will be selling the popular, non-obscure fragrances at the best prices?

I'm not going not find Chanel Bleu, or Dior Sauvage Extreme cheaper - right?

Banned
    Blog Entries

you won't bleu de chanel cheaper, but honestly, while BDC is a good fragrance, you can probably find better.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    you won't bleu de chanel cheaper, but honestly, while BDC is a good fragrance, you can probably find better.
    Thanks noirdrakker - I haven't made my mind up which fragrance to buy, but the choices I have been given on this thread are a good starter for ten. I am glad that the dutyfree will ensure I get a good deal - but if you have any more fragrance suggestions they will be appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In Europe, you will also probably find Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste), which is a very smooth and warm sandalwood.

cacio
    Great choice!

Especially in Europe, taxes on perfumes are high, so it will be cheaper than in regular stores. However, the choice is more limited, only the best sellers are found at duty free stores.

cacio

Cartier Declaration Essence
    Dior Fahrenhiet Absolute
    Gucci pour Homme II
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    YSL Body Kouros

Banned
    Blog Entries

also for night jean paul le male, xs black,1 million,ultraviolet man...

The last thing I almost bought at the airport was Five O'clock Au Gingembre...

I like the suggestion of Egoiste, but year, Bleu de Chanel isn't that expensive, and if you like it why not take advantage of the duty free discount.