Code of Conduct

Default Is it okay for a guy to wear a woman's scent - HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE!

Hello,

I have recently fallen in love with Womanity and I think it smells great. A few days ago, I wore it to a formal event, and everybody knew I was wearing women's perfume. I was extremely embarrassed and I think I should not wear it again.

What do you guys think? Is it okay for me to wear a woman's scent?

Default Re: Is it okay for a guy to wear a woman's scent - HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE!

This topic has been done to death in numerous threads, over and over, and the general consensus is yes; wear what you like regardless of who it is marketed at. In niche perfumery, most fragrances are ungendered or 'unisex' anyway. Womanity is a good scent if you can get past the caviar thing...

If, however, you are not comfortable or even embarrassed when wearing a scent, then don't. Simple.

Welcome, by the way!
    Smelling good on a budget!

Default Re: Is it okay for a guy to wear a woman's scent - HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE!

Depends what it smells like. I dont know anyone that would and i'm more likely than anyone i know to do so.

I'm wearing Frederick malle musc ravenger.

I doubt id wear something popular, id rather someone like the smell and think its sweet than know im wearing a womans fragrance. I have wanted to wear my girlfriends nina ricci, the apple one..... No other scent on a woman makes me want to follow in the scent trail.

Thank you everybody!

My belated reply: in my opinion, yes, especially since some female fragrances have an almost unisex composition, and while still officially feminine, with notes that technically could be easily worn by both genders.

Sure is ok. The one you picked is far too popular, therefore people realized what you were using. The same will have happened if you have been wearing DHI instead, and is male-targeted. If you like it, suits you, go for it. If you feel ashamed, enjoy it at home or with friends IMO.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Of course.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If you like the fragrance enough to wear it, than why not?

Wear any fragrance you like! If people get hung up over male/female fragrance it's their problem not yours!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

queen of the universe

Absolutely, wear what you like, like what you wear!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Yes, and I can't believe this question still needs to be asked.

The very frequent comment "...and could be easily worn by a man...." tells us that this is still very much an issue. Otherwise, that comment would never show up - it would be presumed! We see it all the time on blogs and on this forum. The Perfume Guide is absolutely full of these sorts of comments! Just to hit it home, if gender wasn't an issue, we would not be seeing this explicit emphasis on "...and would be great on a guy as well....".

I do think there are scents that would be odd to smell on a man, but that's entirely my issue, not theirs. I also don't like seeing guys in skirts. Again, that's my issue - I just look away. He can wear whatever he wants, but I don't have to embrace it - he does!

If you are not comfortable wearing Womanity - please don't wear it. You will be self-conscious and uptight for the entire event and THAT is what will turn people away.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bobochu View Post
    A few days ago, I wore it to a formal event, and everybody knew I was wearing women's perfume.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you overspray? I didn't know Womanity is so easily recognised at a formal event...

While many (not all) fragrance aficionados find it OK to wear a female-marketed fragrance, the general population is not quite as enlightened and trying to convince them otherwise is an exercise in futility. The real question therefore is: are you prepared for any less than favorable reaction from the people you hang out with?

And if you do get caught, you could have reacted better instead of getting all embarassed or awkward.

"Are you wearing Womanity?"
    "No. But the lady I was with was."

(cue a change in topics as TBH nobody is that interested to pursue your fragrance wearing habits.)

I'll only answer this bcoz you wanted honest answers. Yes, you can wear feminine frags...I guess all the other threads on the same topics on BN are "dishonest"...
    Can you let us know how you will differentiate between an honest and a dishonest answer on a forum where anyone can be who they want? You are not Manti T'eo are you???

Overcome By Fumes

A mature person does whatever he or she likes and believes is right, and does not let others' prejudices guide his or her actions. Wearing a fragrance you like, rather than what anyone else suggests you should like, shows you are willing and able to think for yourself. How is it manly to follow, like a sheep, what you are told you should like, instead of what you know you like?

It's not.

Only you can know what's best for you. Nobody is going to be harmed by your wearing a fragrance that may be marketed to women.

It doesn't matter what we think any more than it matters what the people at the formal event thought. What matters is what YOU think.

Be yourself.
    Last edited by docluv45; 8th April 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobochu View Post
    Hello,

I have recently fallen in love with Womanity and I think it smells great. A few days ago, I wore it to a formal event, and everybody knew I was wearing women's perfume. I was extremely embarrassed and I think I should not wear it again.

What do you guys think? Is it okay for me to wear a woman's scent?
    Everyone is different, and we all have our own social context. Some find it very easy to say "wear whatever you like - fragrance has no gender." We don't all live in a world where it's easy to do that without it having some negative consequences.

Some feminines are easier to wear than others for a man that lives in such a world. I've come to realize that I can more comfortably wear vintage L'Heure Bleue or Mitsouko than many modern unisex frags. They're even more butch than something like Dior Homme, I think.

I wouldn't wear Shalimar or Chanel No. 5 though. Everyone has an aunt that wears one of those, and you'd get spotted a mile away.

Ultimately, its what you feel comfortable with. If you'd be embarrassed to be "caught" wearing a feminine, then you probably shouldn't do so in public. As someone else mentioned, enjoy them at home (do enjoy them though - all of the most amazing fragrances have been developed for women). Once you get the the point where you can comfortably admit that you are wearing women's perfume and not be embarrassed about it, take it out of the house.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once I was in the beautiful Altemps museum in Rome when my nostrils were suddenly struck by a green, luminous, radiating (feminine!?! ) jasmine scent. I followed the perfumed trail to its source- being a young, elegant man, the perfect wearer of that fragrance.

If one feels comfortable with a fragrance one should wear it and be intrigued by other people's reactions.
    If a fragrance makes one feel uncomfortable- one should, IMO, try and understand the reason for the uneasiness: it's what others can think- and to what extent it does matters; or it's the idea of oneself underlined by that fragrance that clashes with one's idea of oneself?

I don't know if other people are fond of psycho-perfumery as I am, but I personally think that our scented choices are extremely useful tools for our self knowledge.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll put it this way: Is it okay for a guy to wear womens clothes and make-up?

Absolutely. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

But you run the risk of leaving bad impressions on some people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    You are not Manti T'eo are you???
    A close friend of mine went to school with Manti T'eo, same football team. I hear he was kind of bad at football, but he worked hard and surpassed everybody. Anyway, based on all that I know of him, I doubt he's a liar.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to the forum!

It's perfectly OK for anyone to wear any scent. In theory.

In practice, it's another matter entirely.

If wearing a particular scent makes you uncomfortable or unsure - for whatever reason - you probably shouldn't be wearing it. Only you can decide, nobody else can decide for you.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Sure, if you enjoy them.

If it is wise to wear them everywhere (work, date, etc) depends on your job/date, etc. In my experience, whilst women are generally open minded and have no issue with it, they wouldn't want their man to smell too feminine. Women can smell what's a woman's scent. Yes, even Bandit :-/ so, personally, I enjoy them in my spare time mostly.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

It's perfectly OK for anyone to wear any scent. In theory.

In practice, it's another matter entirely.

If wearing a particular scent makes you uncomfortable or unsure - for whatever reason - you probably shouldn't be wearing it. Only you can decide, nobody else can decide for you.
    yes i agree

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I happily wear just about any women's perfume I like because I wear them with confidence and no care for what others think. It has expanded my scent journey tremendously, not being tied down to just masculine frags and I wear all of them for myself not anyone else. Be yourself, everyone else is taken!
    If you ask this same question in the men's forum you will get the opposite reaction. Some will say it fine, but I bet you would get that most are too insecure to wear a feminine frag.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Did you overspray? I didn't know Womanity is so easily recognised at a formal event...
    It's probably horrible to say, but "everybody knew I was wearing women's perfume" made me suspicious of the OP's post. Shalimar? Maybe. Chanel No 5? Maybe. Womanity? Mmm, not sure.

Maybe there's more to the story, but it reminded me of all those posts a while back by someone who kept creating new user names just to try and convince everyone that Dior Homme/Intense was the worst fragrance ever and not to be worn by men.

Just tell 'em you are wearing Womanity pour Homme.
    If they asked what's that? Just answer it: huh you didnt know? where have you been?!

Of course it's ok -- there is no law against it. However, and I am probably in the minority here, if I know that a fragrance is categorised as a 'feminine' I would normally give it a miss -- unless it is obviously unisex -- Bandit, Memo, etc. I just don't feel comfortable wearing an overtly ' women's' fragrance. As others have said, that says more about me though.

I wear plenty and it's never been a problem.

I hate to use the old Cliche, Bobochu. BUT I WILL, ANYWAY. There's no right or wrong here, Bobochu. Just be clear on your motives and don't back down. For example, award winning New York Giant Rosie Grier loved to needlepoint in the 1970s when it was primarily a woman's craft. He didn't do it to be like a woman. He did needlepoint because he found it relaxing and creative. And maybe you find Womanity the same. Two other ladies' fragrances you might like are Creed Acqua Firoentina and L'Heure Bleue. They smell great on guys!

Dear Bobochu,

Men should only wear manly fragrances like gasoline, motor oil, grass clippings and sweat. Any kind of fragrance that they have to "apply" is girly (like skin bracer, cologne, lotion, etc....). Men also should not wear girl colors. Like red, pink, blue, purple, green, yellow, black ......

Ok I guess by now you know that I am kidding!

I am to the point where I wonder why people (well men) even feel the need to start this thread anymore! Have you ever smelled Davidoff Cool Water? Have you smelled Hillary Duff's "With Love"? I bet if you gave someone who had never smelled either fragrance a vial of each and asked them to test the fragrances on their skin for a couple of hours, most people would guess the Cool Water to be the female fragrance and the With Love to be the male fragrance.

We as a society associate some notes more with female fragrances and some notes more as male fragrances. But these lines are not carved in stone. They are associations that differ from person to person. As scent fashion changes (and it does change) you do not know when the tide of the average associations will change. Think Mitsouko. To me it smells equally of old man and refined woman.

I can guarantee that if a large tough man smelled of sweat and roses I would not for one second in time think "girly". Some people think body chemistry alters scent and others don't believe this. But no one will argue that a person smells of their own natural "ode" and of scent. The scent of a human body does not disappear with scent. It is only partially masked. And no matter how "girly" (in terms of associations a scent is), the scent when worn on a man will not smell like the scent. It will smell like a mixture of the scent and the man. I can imagine many female scents smelling very good on a mans skin. Unfortunately my husband hates scents and refuses to be my guinea pig.

Experiment with all scents that you like.

How did the people at this event even know what fragrance you were wearing? If someone "accused" me of wearing a woman's scent (well I'm a woman but you know what I mean) I would (as others have suggested) say something to the effect of "oh it's "something" per Homme." an old gift (freeby, thrift store find, whatever fits your lifestyle) that you had forgotten about. Then if they pursued it I would tell them that I would check when I got home and then if they kept after me I would pick something obscure. And tell them I threw away the bottle because everyone made fun of me.

Ok now I sound like a long involved detailed liar! But it's really none of their buswax!!!!

When it comes to scent, enjoy what you like. Scent is not a sin!
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vmarshmellow View Post
    I am to the point where I wonder why people (well men) even feel the need to start this thread anymore! Have you ever smelled Davidoff Cool Water? Have you smelled Hillary Duff's "With Love"? I bet if you gave someone who had never smelled either fragrance a vial of each and asked them to test the fragrances on their skin for a couple of hours, most people would guess the Cool Water to be the female fragrance and the With Love to be the male fragrance.

before i discovered git , i wore cool water all the time. go so many compliments, cuz i feel like CW was made for me haha

Well it really all comes down to your social circle and how much you conform to it (them).

for swap/sale:

Why the hell not?
    Do happy

as long as you like the fragrance, I don't see why you shouldn't wear it...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

It's perfectly Ok. What alfarom said ^^^

queen of the universe

Rubegon's post was thoughtful, too. bobochu, I have a thought coming on. I could send you 4 unlabeled samples, you could sniff and see which ones you like, and I'll reveal their identities after. Blind sniffing in general is a good way to find out what really appeals to you when the hype, advertising, and genderization is removed. pm if interested.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Rubegon's post was thoughtful, too. bobochu, I have a thought coming on. I could send you 4 unlabeled samples, you could sniff and see which ones you like, and I'll reveal their identities after. Blind sniffing in general is a good way to find out what really appeals to you when the hype, advertising, and genderization is removed. pm if interested.
    I love your thinking, jujy. Good show!