Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Thumbs up Terre d'Hermes...

WOW!
    Just smelled this at Sephora for the first time today and now I know what all the hype is about. Needs about 15-20 minutes to settle in but after that this thing is a beast! I'm thinking about getting this and wearing as my signature scent. Are there a lot of guys that wear this?

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes...

Welcome - yes, it's very popular. I'm not sure we needed yet another new thread about it though. Use the search bar at the top right and you will find endless talk and dozens of samey threads about TdH.
    Smelling good on a budget!

It's a good one for sure.

I prefer Chant De Bois by Le Labo for Anthropologie.

Smells the same, and I don't have to feel like one of the sheep lol.

TdH is a wonderful frag w/o any doubt, do note that the EDT is well known, but try the EDP as well, both are very different IMO...

+1 for House Hermes

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    TdH is a wonderful frag w/o any doubt, do note that the EDT is well known, but try the EDP as well, both are very different IMO...
    Now that i think about it, I'm not sure if the tester was the EDT or EDP..I did see the sign for the parfum version. Great, now I'm back to square one. Are they totally different?

Nice frag IMO.

Sound Scents

Certainly this one does. A masterpiece for sure, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Very nice. I tried Montale Red Vetyver first so I'm partial to that one...

It is very nice for sure. Can be worn year round day or night.

I agree, it's a very good scent

This one can be worn all year round... i wish it was not widely available...so less people will wear it
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

My 5 years on this website is worthwhile just because I discovered this. I went from not liking it, to craving a sniff again, to wearing it probably 75% of my days now because I'm so confident in it. It is perfect for my office and smells exceptional...the EDT for me. Just love it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by cwu View Post
    Now that i think about it, I'm not sure if the tester was the EDT or EDP..I did see the sign for the parfum version. Great, now I'm back to square one. Are they totally different?
    Sorry, its Pure Parfum and not EDP. and yes, they are different - check out the link below...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=terre+d'hermes+pure+parfum&rlz=1C1ARAB_en CA440CA440&aq=0&oq=tere+de+hermes+pure+&aqs=chrome .1.57j0l3.6373j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&rlz=1C1ARAB_enCA440CA440&tbm=dsc&q=+site:b asenotes.net+terre+d%27hermes+pure+parfum&sa=X&ei= KDdiUdyuL8S82wXOp4HQCQ&ved=0CDkQrQIwAA&bav=on.2,or .r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.b2I&fp=b215d0e57f439907&b iw=1366&bih=643

I wore it today and it's a little boring. I'll have to give it another try some other day but the price isn't worth it for me. Good scent though.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

TdH both EDT or PP are both hella nice. It took me a minute to come around but when I did I did in a big way. Not for nothing, but check out Kinski, Montale's Red Vetyver and maybe even CdG Wonderwood for interesting variations on the theme.

A dependable, classy workhorse. Yes, there is a difference between the EdT and Pure parfum but that is another story.

Almost gagged when I smelt it..
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Emospence View Post
    Almost gagged when I smelt it..
    There is an acrid quality to be sure, but it seems like the iso e super gives me a headache after a while. I wonder if bad reformulations and discontinuations are part of the appeal of scents like TdH, because what remains is genetic dept store fare, drug store dreck, and expensive niche that few even know about, let alone sample. One example is Lapidus Pour Homme. The original version had uplifting juniper and pineapple, whereas the new one is a heavy, muddled mess. Yes, I would go for TdH rather than the new LPH if that iso e super (or some other chemical) didn't bother me as much as it does (I can't wear either of these two).

You can trade in the acrid note for earthy with Cartier Declaration, or with clean and fresh with Malle Bigarade Concentree. All three created by Jean-Claude Ellena. TdH is good - but these other two represent the theme taken to another level altogether imo.

It's a fab frag. I have the Pure Parfam in my wardrobe, rather than the EdT.

Try both, but make sure you buy at least one of them!

Please wear it more than once on your skin before you buy full bottle. This one makes lot of people sneeze.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Like it also a lot and finally this Hermes lasts on me for many hours.

----------------------------------------
    My Favorites:
    1) Serge Lutens (EdP Ambre Sultan)
    2) Andy Tauer (Edt l'Aire du désert Marocain)
    3) Boadicea de Victorius (Complex & Provocative)
    4) Artisan Parfumeur (Tea for Two)
    5) Amouage (Edp Epic)
    6) Amouage (EdP Interlude)
    7) Davidoff Classic (Edt Classic) - vintage
    8) Lorenzo Villoresi (Edt Piper Nigrum)

Banned
    Blog Entries

terre de hermes is a fragrance that has its good qualities, but i don't like it enough to buy a bottle.

i don't think a lot of guys (under 35 and outside of basenotes) wear it.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    terre de hermes is a fragrance that has its good qualities, but i don't like it enough to buy a bottle.

i don't think a lot of guys (under 35 and outside of basenotes) wear it.
    I'm 24 and bought a bottle last week. Love it. Smells very unique and fresh.

A real masterpiece for me! This is a designer frag easily with niche quality! One of my ever scents...

People talk about an acrid note and I don't get it at all. As I said above I didn't start out liking it but it is an all time fave now. All I get is a citrus type blast followed by woods and a super smooth Iso/woods with a hint if that earlier citrus. One of the best dry downs out there.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Get the SA at Sephora to make you a bottle or two before you buy it.

I am still torn on this fragrance, sometimes I like it a lot and sometimes I dislike it. I personally feel that it does better in the Winter on my skin, yet I rarely wore it this Winter.

As some above posters have said it can get boring, the acrid note is in there (not for the entire duration of the fragrance).

Also a lot of guys don't wear this fragrance so you don't have to worry about that. Understand that here on basenotes, we are a minority in the world, so things in the fragrance world that we know about the common man has no understanding of (i.e. top, middle and basenotes).

Had a bottle ever since it came out, in 2006. I am now liking the Parfum a lot more than the EdT, so I can see this EdT being my last bottle...

One of the few scents trendy right now where, in my opinion, popularity is actually justified. Haven't had it in my wardrobe so far nor would I wear it as an exclusive signature scent once owned, but still, quite a priority on my fragrance shopping list and, as soon as acquired, will probably be used relatively frequent in my rotation.

Basenotes Member

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the version I smelled was the Pure Parfum. I will go check out the EDT and report back.

The EDT is very weak on my skin, Montale Red Vetiver is far superior in terms of sillage and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

Love Chant de Bois. But they discontinued it.

i like it. It is so classy and casual at the same time.

Like it and enjoy it once in a while.

I blend my PP and EDT version 2:1 (own 200 ml PP and 100 ml EDT)
    i can also recommend blending it with Encre Noir - smells great !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by onaluna View Post
    Love Chant de Bois. But they discontinued it.
    Really? I was just at Anthropologie at Old Orchard Mall in Skokie IL and they had a table with about 5 or six of them.

I guess i should go buy another bottle then...Or maybe they'll clearance them out like they usually do lol.

For anyone that likes Td'h you really should try to sniff out this one. Maybe an anthropolgie near you has a bottle left! It really does smell the same, except lasts longer.

Really? I was just at Anthropologie at Old Orchard Mall in Skokie IL and they had a table with about 5 or six of them.

I guess i should go buy another bottle then...Or maybe they'll clearance them out like they usually do lol.

For anyone that likes Td'h you really should try to sniff out this one. Maybe an anthropolgie near you has a bottle left! It really does smell the same, except lasts longer.
    Well, it's discontinued on their website, so I assume they're phasing it out. I love when Anthro has clearance! Did you find the solid Chant de Bois different from the spray? I could only afford the solid, so I'm curious. If all of the discontinuing stuff is true, maybe we can start a letter campaign to Le Labo.

My impression of TdH was that it was nice but overrated, and in terms of citrus-themed fragrances, I found Declaration and L'Essence to be more interesting. I eventually bout L'Essence. But a few months ago, I smelt Tdh on a friend, I was rather impressed with it. It was smoother and less sharp than L'Essence. Ever since then, I've been considering adding it to my collection. I'll have to get another sample of it and give it a few full wearings before I make that decision...

Learning about Iso E Super ruined this fragrance for me.

Enjoy. this is one of the few highly raved fragrances on BN that I have to agree with. It just smells good.

I get the 'acrid' note with this. I want to try the Pure Parfum version though, to see whether I still get the acrid note I get in the EdT.

While I love TdH, for me the citrus lasts about 45 minutes and then it dries down to very dry cedar. Like standing in a pile of port orford cedar shavings. This isn't a bad thing, but wasn't quite the citrus scent I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by cwu View Post
    WOW!
    Just smelled this at Sephora for the first time today and now I know what all the hype is about. Needs about 15-20 minutes to settle in but after that this thing is a beast! I'm thinking about getting this and wearing as my signature scent. Are there a lot of guys that wear this?
    Yes, many use it as a signature scent. Particularly the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
    Like it also a lot and finally this Hermes lasts on me for many hours.

What the heck is this? Same juice different bottle?

Terre d'Hermes has all kinds of limited edition bottles!

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    What the heck is this? Same juice different bottle?
    It's just a limitd edition special bottle. Juice is the same.
    But it sure is one gorgeous looking bottle
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I wear my mates TDH whenever I'm around there. Love the juice...need to get my own bottle!

At first sniff I liked it, bought 100ml, wore it a few times, got sick of it, gave it to father, couldn't wait for him to finish it and spare my nose...

Quote Originally Posted by onaluna View Post
    Well, it's discontinued on their website, so I assume they're phasing it out. I love when Anthro has clearance! Did you find the solid Chant de Bois different from the spray? I could only afford the solid, so I'm curious. If all of the discontinuing stuff is true, maybe we can start a letter campaign to Le Labo.
    Just one, sad bottle of Poudre d'Orient at my local Anthro. It was on clearance for $20. Damn. Also, sniffed Terre d'Hermés —only on paper. They are definitely siblings, but something's different. Chant de Bois seems to have a more piquant, green edge to its citrus opening, a bit more spice and a bit less earth. But I haven't worn T d'Hermes yet.

EDIT: Ugh. OK. My apologies. Chant de Bois was discontinued at my local stores, but they appear to have restocked it online:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...ag/C093506.jsp
    YAY!
    Last edited by onaluna; 18th April 2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: correction

Basenotes Junkie

I can really recommend stacking the EDT with the body wash and deodorant. All that grapefruity earthy goodness all day long -it's amazing! And yeah - jesus tits this is good juice. I sort of forget from time to time, then do the whole shower gel - deo - edt routine and it just leaves me in awe of the perfume. LOVE IT!

This is such a ridiculous sentiment. What's wrong with just liking what you like?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I digress from my previous post, the more I wear it the more I like it. It is growing on me more and more. Glad it is a part of my collection.

Basenotes Member

Ok. I have determined the version I smelled originally was the Pure Parfum. Just got a sample vial of the EDT and wore it for the last two days, definitely not as impressed. The orange note lasts maybe 30 minutes and after that it is a dry cedar/iris smell (similar to DHS)

I know which one I'll be getting, Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum!

I laughed. Sorta like Fierce or AdG for grown-ups?

I discovered a small travel size of the EdT in a cupboard (it's a 30ml square sized spray and came in a TdH travel puch). It smells differently to the current formulation of the EdT. I will be using it up soon to compare the differences. It dates back to 2007.

Just finished my 50ml bottle; it's taken 4 years. Very nice, powerful scent but I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing it again.

I own the EDT and it's very versatile. Nice fragrance for sure.

sexy summer frag not for everyday use like all other scents!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    This is such a ridiculous sentiment. What's wrong with just liking what you like?
    Agree and honestly I know no one that wears TdH. Heck, I don't even get SAs that know much about it. Sexy everyday stuff for me
    --Ben Hogan