Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur: Whats the hype about?

Well, i recently have been watching alot of MR reviews as it intrests me how lots of people say its a 'panty dropper' but alot of people say it smells like old man, and woman hate it?

I might get a sample to see what it smells like as its got alot of hype around its famous dry down?

I am really turned off by the thought of clove at the top though, as the smell of clove makes me feel sick.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

1. How long does it take to dry down, and what does it smell like.

2. Are there any other frags that smell like MR drydown.

3. Do women actually LIKE this frag?

Default Re: Musc Ravageur: Whats the hype about?

Eh, hype is always annoying. I try to avoid it and make my own judgements when I can, but I'd be lying to say that I don't seek out certain fragrances if they have good reviews.

As for your questions:

1. The drydown comes about an hour or so into the fragrance, at least the one time I wore it. It smells to me like cloves, some other spices, and the vanilla that later becomes the drydown. I love the opening, others tend not to.

2. According to a lot of people on YT and Facebook, Meharees smells like it a fair bit.

3. I can't generalize 3.5 billion people.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I have never paid attention to the hype associated with this or any other fragrance. Musc Ravageur is just a very fine scent IMO and glad I own a large bottle. Get the sample and make your own unbiased judgment.

I don't know all of the answers to your questions, but I think Musc Ravageur is great. I even like the opening that a lot of people have said they're not a fan of. I have had both men and women tell me they like it on me.

To my nose, the opening is not clove, it's dirty musky, which is another reason why it's famous. This is probably the controversial part - some people are turned off by the dirty smell, though others love it. However, it doesn't stay dirty for long. As others said, it soon turns into a smooth spicy drydown. How long it does so depends on skin and temperature, but shouldn't be more than 1 hr. If you like supersmooth, slightly spicy, and modern in feel, you should be ok; while it may not be love, it's hard to think anybody will dislike this part.

Meharees is in the same neighborhood, but it's not a substitute. It is more woody-incensy. Still, it can work too, and, at least in Italy, it costs little. A much closer perfume to Musc Ravageur was Helmut Lang Edp. however, it has been discontinued and now fetches high prices on ebay.

cacio

If clove makes you feel sick, then avoid this one like the plague.

1. Its an extremely longlasting cologne, on me it continues to develop well into the 6-8 hour range.
    2. None that immediately come to mind
    3. You can be sure that some women do, while others do not. What really matters is that you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Musc Ravageur is just a very fine scent IMO and glad I own a large bottle. Get the sample and make your own unbiased judgment.
    IMO, Musc Ravageur, along with Carnal Flower, POAL & French Lover are the best frags from the house of Malle.

If you want a dirty/animalic scent that lasts a very long time, go for first formulation Kouros. A spicy drydown is easy enough to find at a low price, for example, vintage Jacomo de Jacomo, which is still selling cheap on ebay.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

1. Show me an old man who smells like Musc Ravageur.
    2. Do you let people tell you what to eat or drink?
    3. Do you believe everything you read?
    4. If a woman likes you it doesn't matter what fragrance you wear.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

1. Its an extremely longlasting cologne, on me it continues to develop well into the 6-8 hour range.
    2. None that immediately come to mind
    3. You can be sure that some women do, while others do not. What really matters is that you like it.
    +1's on 1 & 3. I've heard that Meharees L`Erbolario is similar to Musc Ravageur without the clove. I can't vouch for it though.

I don't really understand hype around any fragrance. Inevitably some people will love it, some people will hate it, and many more will be in the middle. Smell it and judge for yourself.

I can't speak for all women, but I like it very much and wear it myself.

I get more cinnamon than clove with MR, along with a very approachable musk (much more approachable than MKK - which I also like very much), and vanilla. Having said that though - there is clove...

I experience Meharees as similar but light on the musk - still very nice.

MR is at it's best when someone near you is wearing it - the silage is just beautiful. I used to get a former girlfriend to spray some on before we went out, and I was in heaven

Other than that OP - you'll just have to sample it! As much as I love it, not recommended as a blind buy.

1. An hour or so...still it doesn't smell pleasant even in the drydown
    2. Mehaares smells similar a bit less disgusting
    3. In my experience, a big Hell No!!

People will have different opinion about a specific fragrance. While some don't like the opening , I tend to love it and dislike the vanilla in the drydown. It is a nice fragrance. Never received huge compliments on it, I still like it though. The best is to sample it. They do make small 2 ml spray vials of it.

As to number three, I've never dated a woman who really like MR. A few thought it was okay, and several thought it was disgusting. I was always on the fence about MR, so that kind of iced it for me and I sold my bottle. Why bother with something so polarizing that I only sort of like when I can wear New Haarlem or The One (both of which I like a lot), and both of those have been uniformly adored by women I've dated?

I don't let women make my decision for me, but in this case, their thoughts parallel what I like, too.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

THIS! Why would you even consider buying a very expensive scent that prominently includes something you say makes you sick? ...because of the hype? Don't fall for hype.

THIS! Your scent should be part of your personality. Choose something you like. Something you think smells good. I guarantee that some women will love Musc Rav, and some will hate it. That happens with niche scents since they tend to be more challenging. If your only goal is to turn women on, then your fragrance should be Acqua Di Gio - not because it's the best thing ever, but instead, because it's a safe crowd-pleaser.

If you're going to spend top dollar for a scent like Musc Rav, do it because it's something you love, not because a bunch of strangers on the internet tricked you into it through hype.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

AHS: So did you get a sample?

Basenotes Plus

This is a certified panty dropper: I put a bottle of it in my panties and they dropped due to the weight.

This is the only frag i have and the sample has lasted me a long time. When i apply to my hand, until the last second it has left i am sniffing.

Decant will be purchased this month.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Why would you even consider buying a very expensive scent that prominently includes something you say makes you sick? ...because of the hype? Don't fall for hype. ...Your scent should be part of your personality. Choose something you like. Something you think smells good.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Ditto.

I've never smelled Musc Ravageur on a guy. However, I adore it and wear it myself. But, yes, it's impossible to generalize across "women."

Panty dropper, or dropped panties? Eh, like the super late dry down after most of the cloves have subsided. Like others, it's the heavy clove that kills it for me. It's certainly quality by every means though, you can tell at first whiff.

To me, the best thing about Musc Ravageur, is the way it transitions. There aren't many that can go from one thing to something completely different, before your very nose. It's mind boggling really. But I guess that is what you get when you give a master perfumer an almost unlimited budget to do what he's known to do.

As for personal taste.. it isn't special for me. Of course, my biggest thing is price, price is always an issue when you're not wealthy or you don't have plastic. I think it's very possible to budget yourself with any hobby, including this one. So I just buy what I can afford. I cannot afford MR, nor can I afford many of the hyped fragrances on BN, and YT. But I can afford to sample them. That said, after sampling MR, I don't really care for it, but I do find it remarkable. Granted, I have never been a musk fan, and musk is pretty heavy in this one. The cloves in the opening over-dominate everything, and it's a good few hours before the base notes take effect. But the base notes are quite good. A vanilla/woods dream for many. Combinations of some of the highest quality woods, vanilla, and tonka notes I have ever smelled, make for this luscious and gorgeous base. Major props on projection as well, as the base projects quite as good as the opening. Lasts forever, up to 24 hours on me. Although, in my case, this is not a good thing, as I do not like many fragrances that last this long, because I like to wear 2 fragrances a day most of the time. (One for day and one for night.)

I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. But the top notes are quite off putting to many.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

It's got a decent stank to it, but its got an annoying cinnamon / clove smell that combined makes it smell sort of cheap to me. As in, i swear i've smelled this same thing at Walgreens in 1993....in the clearance aisle.

Carnal Flower and Portrait of a Lady are where its at if you're looking for interesting Malles.

I actually love the musky cinnamon splash.

Got a bottle of Mťharťes today, I'm wearing it now and damn if it isn't a dead ringer for the Musc Ravageur.

What the hype is about? It is good stuff!. But if the smell of cloves make you sick, do not buy it. That simple I have read many stating, that Meharees by L'Erbolario is a good substitute for MR without the cloves.
    Get sampling
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

The clove puts me off.

No hype.

MR smells like a big vase of angry easter lillies to me, well into the long drydown of a nice comforting vanilla. I like that.

No, I don't care to smell of it outside the house... so it is relegated as an in-house comfort scent. Those can be excellent and I can respect them as much as any other, just the same.

When there's hype, ignore it, and it ceases to exist.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    angry easter lillies
    That'd make a great band name.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Give me Ajmal's AA Pure Indian Musk Gazelle any day...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yes, and I especially like number 4

If the smell of cloves makes you sick then this is not for you. It's ALL cloves up top.

Decent scent but it didn't ravage my nose.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I am not a fan of cloves. The opening has a lot of cloves and cinnamon to my nose but I find the dry down to be very warm and sensual with the comforting creamy vanilla. Even sexy I dare say. I will always have this in my collection.
    Last edited by cannotavoidtrite; 13th April 2013 at 06:15 AM.

Well, I just wanted to bump this thread to say I bought my bottle of Musc Ravageur today after nearly a month of wanting it. I can't speak for the hype, but this fragrance has two personal memories to me. The first and longest one is that, for some reason, it smells like the upstairs of my Nana's old house before she died. Not in that "old person" way or anything, she always had vanilla candles burning in there and just always had the house smelling really nice. The other memory is much more recent, but I wore this for the first time when I was down on Cape Cod for my first family vacation in six years. I loved it at first sniff, and even loved the clove opening (I like cloves), though maybe it's subdued since this was all dab samples.

I tested it the other day and got ~17 hours of longevity, and near the end I still think it was projecting a little bit. Now that's impressive!

Glad to have a bottle and will enjoy it for year and years to come.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)