Code of Conduct

Exclamation l'Air du Desert Marocain Improves With Age!

It's my SOTD and I saw this review on Youtube by the FragranceBros.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpORovifj5s

I bought a sample of LDDM some years ago.
    I loved every aspect of it. From the opening to the drydown.
    So I decided to buy a bottle.
    The problem I had, is that the perfume in the bottle wasn't identical with the sample.
    I loved the sample a lot more.
    The perfume in the bottle had an insanely harsh chemical opening, like the FragranceBros are experiencing.
    The sample didn't have this problem.
    So I thought it was reformulated.
    Today, I was absolutely blown away.
    I applied 1 spray on my arm and 1 on my chest and my God, the harsh chemical opening is completely gone.
    This smells identical to the sample! I'm in heaven.
    The perfume seems to improve with age, like a wine.
    It took at least 3 years to get to this sublime concoction.
    It may be a batch thing, I don't know, but what I do know is that the FragranceBros are not smelling what they are supposed to smell.

Default Re: l'Air du Desert Marocain Improves With Age!

Wonder if Mr. Tauer will find this thread and provide his thoughts...My sample & the FB are smelling the same, got no issues.

An excellent parfum...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Wonder if Mr. Tauer will find this thread and provide his thoughts...My sample & the FB are smelling the same, got no issues.

An excellent parfum...
    It is indeed an excellent parfum.
    At least at this stage.

I know it sounds crazy, but I guarantee for 100% that what I am smelling now, is different. The change is undeniable. A huge improvement. I don't know how this is possible. The LDDM with the harsh, chemical opening does indeed not smell anything like cookies in the drydown, like the FragranceBros are saying. What I am smelling now smells indeed like cookies, it has a gourmand vibe. Ofcourse paired masterfully with the wonderfull incense, cedar and a touch of vetiver. Amazing.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 8th April 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Where did you get your sample and bottle from ?

I recently threw away a bottle that I purchased a few weeks ago. The longevity was laughable and it did smell very synthetic.

I bought mine from LuckyScent.

I remember enjoying my sample also from LuckyScent much better and it seemed to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Where did you get your sample and bottle from ?

I recently threw away a bottle that I purchased a few weeks ago. The longevity was laughable and it did smell very synthetic.

I bought mine from LuckyScent.

I remember enjoying my sample also from LuckyScent much better and it seemed to last longer.
    I bought my sample and my bottle from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/.
    If the bottle smelled very synthetic, you probably experienced the harsh chemical opening.
    What I experienced today is that the harsh opening morphed into an orangy aroma.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    [..]The longevity was laughable[..]
    The longevity seems to be weak because the harsh synthetic opening gives instant nose fatigue.
    I remember 1 time that I felt a burning sensation in my nose after applying it.
    Today, I have no nose fatigue at all and I get constant whafts of this amazing perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    The longevity seems to be weak because the harsh synthetic opening gives instant nose fatigue.
    The only nose fatigue I've experienced with fragrances is when I wear something as a signature scent for too long. I am often told that I put too much on. This was back in the day though. Nobody in the past 10 years has said this to me (unfortunately) and I do spray heavily.

I had the same feelings with his other "winner" Lonestar Memories...a brilliant opening that fizzles out like a match and to be honest his other creations that I sampled at MIN did nothing to excite me.

I had two friends try LDDM and they agreed with me that it dies rather quickly...brilliant opening though.

The sample I had was purchased at least a year ago so the formula could have been changed since then. I remember my sample lasting a good amount of time on my skin...enough to keep LDDM in the back of my mind as a future purchase.

I am starting to re think if samples are a good indicator or not of what you will receive when you purchase a bottle. I'd rather get my samples from other fragrance aficionados at this point. My instinct tells me it would be more true to what I would be buying. Just a hunch.

My 3-4 year old bottle has always been nuclear in every way. I find it difficult to wear to be honest. It's a beast. It's in the old packaging.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 8th April 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i enjoy the opening personally.

My experience has been that it hasn't changed in any way over the years.

I have mine stored away in it's box, in a dark location.

Why So Serious?

The decant that I got from TPC and the bottle that i have smell very slightly different as well. Very interesting.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I personally don't believe that it changes over time, BUT, I absolutely believe that different fragrances are more enjoyable to wear in different conditions. They even seem to smell a little different. I bought L'air on a crisp sunny winter day and it blew my mind. AMAZING. But if I wear it on a warm and humid day, it isn't the same. Actually, of course it IS the same, but I perceive it differently, just as I love drinking a stout on a winter day but don't enjoy one in the summer heat, or how I crave lemonade in the summer, but not at all in the winter.

Have you ever smelled a rose in summer?
    Have you ever smelled a rose in winter?
    It's the same flower, and yet, there's nothing quite like the smell of a rose in late spring/early summer. And, in my opinion, there's nothing quite like the smell of L'air on a cool dry day. L'Air du Desert Marocain is a masterpiece.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I personally don't believe that it changes over time, BUT, I absolutely believe that different fragrances are more enjoyable to wear in different conditions. They even seem to smell a little different. I bought L'air on a crisp sunny winter day and it blew my mind. AMAZING. But if I wear it on a warm and humid day, it isn't the same. Actually, of course it IS the same, but I perceive it differently, just as I love drinking a stout on a winter day but don't enjoy one in the summer heat, or how I crave lemonade in the summer, but not at all in the winter.

Have you ever smelled a rose in summer?
    Have you ever smelled a rose in winter?
    It's the same flower, and yet, there's nothing quite like the smell of a rose in late spring/early summer. And, in my opinion, there's nothing quite like the smell of L'air on a cool dry day. L'Air du Desert Marocain is a masterpiece.
    ^ Yes. I believe this exactly. It's more about our environment and perception by far, than fragrances changing. Although I do feel a frag can change over large spans of time, I feel most often, it's us that do the changing.

All Tauers creations gets better with age. Andy never cuts back on quality that's the reason for the juice to get more potent with age.