Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are our skins really that different?

I actually think it's silly to assume all skins are the same. I mean, come on now. We can tell by sight that our skins are different. It's more than just white/black/brown. There are so many different shades of each. And anyone who pays attention can tell by touch that our skins feel different. Some people have very smooth skin that feels so soft. Others, not so much. Some are more hairy. Others have more birthmarks. Some have dry skin. Others, oily. There are other differences as well.

All of these factors play a role in how perfume wears on one's skin.

The idea that skin is just skin and it's all the same... well... that's silly to the point of being absurd.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned

I agree we have different skins,like different eyes, don't see much of an issue there.and healthy organisms are all more similar to one another then different , that is my idea as well.......

But when i read perfume reviews i don't notice that its the skin that makes a difference but the mind of a reviewer.....also i can sometimes get very clear idea of a perfume from reading reviews only....so i don't give that much emphasis on skin effect, nothing more then i give it to my own skin.....i know longevity on the skin is shorter and , that skin can mask some parts, esp at the beginning, make it a little less beautiful...so the most objective way for me is blotter....

Many perfume reviews are written so that it seems to me we have all similar skins:-) .......people just don't realize how much more similar they are then different:-)

When i put 6 sprays of something there is no such thing called skin :-) sorry

Also remember that our skin is completely covered at all times with billions of microbes--an estimated 1000 different species--which contribute to the skin's odor by producing chemicals, and different people may have unique combinations of microbes that influence their own smell and perhaps account for some of the differences in fragrance.

But in answer to the first post, yes I can see how it could also be a habit of politeness to say that something smells bad "on my skin" so as not to offend someone who loves the fragrance!

I'd love to know more about the genetic component. My parents, willing guinea pigs that they are, have tried several different fragrances at the same time as me. Inevitably, scents smell identical on my dad and myself. My mom smells completely different. Most noticeable have been citruses. My mom smells gorgeous in citrus - they are fresh and light on her. On me, and my dad, most of them turn into a Lysol stench. Somehow, I've literally inherited my skin from my dad.
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Frederic Malle also believes skin types play a very minor part (only in rare cases). For what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Luca Turin- whose solid scientific approach to perfume I highly appreciate!- claims that skin chemistry is not that relevant.......
    Although while making a fragrance they test it on a few assistants, most of the great perfumers apparently feel the same way.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th May 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Looks like a case of 'self preservation' to me. If perfumers support the notion that skin chemistry plays a significant role in fragrance development, they'll probably be out of jobs... or worse, made to work on multiple variations of a fragrance to cater to multiple skin 'types'.

That's why silage is good for some people, and with others' you can barely detect fragrances

I'm proving it today. Granny and I have both sprayed on the same amount of Tubereuse Criminelle and on me is the cough mixture and on Granny, the most delightful white floral bouquet. If I wasn't smelling this with my own nose having sprayed it on us both, then I would tell you we had two different perfumes on. They neither one relate to the other in the slightest. Even at drydown mine is a light floral vanilla and Grannies has vanished. Quite astonishing really.
    Currently wearing: Gilda by Pierre Wulff

I can spray on two sprays of Angel or Ambre Narguilé, and my fiancée had to come within 10-20 cm's to smell it properly. On her skin, the same amount fills an entire room or sometimes the entire apartment. I am pretty sure that our skins are pretty different

Therefore, when I write I wear 5-10 sprays of stuff, do not be so shocked

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I'm proving it today. Granny and I have both sprayed on the same amount of Tubereuse Criminelle and on me is the cough mixture and on Granny, the most delightful white floral bouquet. If I wasn't smelling this with my own nose having sprayed it on us both, then I would tell you we had two different perfumes on. They neither one relate to the other in the slightest. Even at drydown mine is a light floral vanilla and Grannies has vanished. Quite astonishing really.
    And my sister and I had a very similar result when testing Angel. We both sprayed from the same bottle and we both thought it was a fabulous scent on me, and we both loathed it for the sour and sickly smell that it turned out to be on her.

If it's not down to skin differences (whether that's temperature, hormones or other chemistry) then what is it? We'd even both showered before going out with the same shower gel and applied the same body cream.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'
    Currently wearing: Piper Leather by Illuminum

As our skin has the job of cooling, triggering the immune system to protect against harmful bacteria, alerting the brain to danger through pain and expelling toxins it's a pretty complex organ in it's own right.
    Each individuals skin will be different according to hydration, temperature, medication and health factors.
    Strongly flavoured/scented food emerges in sweat. Curry spices, Fish, Garlic, Coffee are all noticeable in not only sweat but breathe and other areas of mucus membrane.
    Put all the individuality of bodily odour together in each person and it's no surprise surely that perfumes will react differently per person?
    However it's not 'just' the skin but the interaction of all the lingering smells we carry: Shampoo, the leather jacket you're wearing or the onion you peeled an hour ago.
    We smell of everything we do, eat and where we've been. Any Perfume we apply just joins the dance.

If you smell a fragrance that you're familiar with on somebody else, you know what you're smelling. So it can't be THAT different. I think it's perception and brain trickery.