Code of Conduct

Default sick with fever, any perfume to soothe my senses?

I am sick with fever today, staying in bed. Actually, i can't think of any fragrance at the moment that i would like to smell. Isn't this wrong? Shouldn't perfume work as a medicine as well? What do you think? Any ideas of a fragrance for the occasion? I remember Guerlain's apres l'ondee is a very
    trasparent and soothing smell but i have never tried it.
    "I have the sun in my pocket"
    http://www.ionportraits.gr
    http://www.facebook.com/ion.portraits

Default Re: sick with fever, any perfume to soothe my senses?

If you haven't vomited yet try Bond no 9 I Love New York For All!

Anyway... get well soon!

You poor thing. Fever and temperature? It of course depends why you have a fever as to what is right.

I expect your body doesn't need anything else to deal with except to heal you. For flu or cold, vitamin C may be a better consideration. Fever from pain may benefit from peppermint. Fever depends on what is wrong.

However, Lavender is the great healer, and/or anything with tea tree for anti bacterial effects. If it is a cold or flu then eucalyptus/lemon/thyme/rosemary are useful in an inhaling way. Congestion in the lungs? Frankincense/lemon is another healer. Make a mug of boiling water and put a little on the top in your sick room. A hot bath filled with essential oil and epsom salts is a nice thing if you are chilled too.

I hope this helps.

I have noticed that when I am ill my sense of smell changes radically; those things I like, I now hate etc. I also become much more sensitive to some things, whilst others are distorted. I usually prefer not to have any perfumes around, although if I am congested then Olbas Oil works for me; it is a mixture of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and other oils which clear the tubes (if only for a little while). Strangely enough, I'm just getting over a bad cold too, which as usual with me, turned to a chesty cough and painful sinuses. For a few days I lost my sense of smell completely; that is just coming back now. I really didn't want any Perfumes around me at all, for the last week or so.

Mumsy's suggestions all sound good to me, and pleasurable too. Hope you recover quickly.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hope that you feel better soon.

I for one can't stand fragrance if I'm that ill. Hopefully mumsy has recommended a good option with lavender but like I said it may depend on exactly how bad you are.

I would definitely avoid power house scents, citrus and also very sweet scents.

And yes, get well soon! Περαστικά!

I'd stay away from any fragrance until you feel better.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    this

Olbas oil always made me feel really sick after about 20 minutes when I was poorly with a cold. I then always wished I hadn't employed its use. I looked it up because I was curious for the childrens sake and found that it had a high percentage of Wintergreen oil at 3.7%. I now use more specific ingredients and jiggle them relating to each stage of a cold without using any wintergreen and find it much better.

For the later stages of a cold when the wretched germs have crept into the lungs, then the hot water in a mug trick with any of these, benzoin, fennel, frankincense, eucalyptus, thyme or sometimes cloves, can be nice. Then peppermint, pine or cypress, lemon, ravensara are useful for the coughing. Rosemary, peppermint, thyme, oregano and the eucalyptus sometimes help with sinuses. You can jiggle the balance to those that feel right for you. Bananas are something that can encourage mucus production so avoid or eat depending on where you are with a cold. Late at night there is the lemon, honey and maybe whisky hot toddy.

What really annoys me about that particular olbas product is that it has quite clear instructions to put it neat onto the skin which in aromatherapeutic use is not recommended for any neat concentrated oils. All neat oils should be diluted to at least 10% before applying to any skin. Imagine if someone didn't realise and just rubbed this neat on a childs chest like vicks rub.... yow.

For a sick room then just lavender is peaceful and the tea tree if you are still germy.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yep. I'm down with man flu today, and I've figured that it's probably for the best that I give my nose a break and time for my sinuses to heal properly.

My doctor cousin says stay away from BN, it'll bring little more peace of mind and might be gd to your wallet...

This may sound strange, but when I am feeling sick, or even just a bit under the weather, I find that the smell of peppermint makes me feel better. I have a small bottle of pure peppermint essential oil and I love to dab a tiny dab on my temples and on my chest. A tiny bit goes a long way, because its easy to over-do. It's just so "fresh" smelling and I love it!! I find that peppermint oil works even better when you have a headache; I suffer from "Migraines from Hell" and this scent, along with medication and heat or ice wraps help tremendously!

Although I tend to wear real perfumes most days, I also have a collection of fun, fruity-fresh smelling body sprays that I tend to use right before bed;( I also love to spritz my bedding as well...its wonderful!!) Some would be terrible to use when I am sick, because they are too sweet, but others are very "up-lifting" and "fresh" and these kinds of (light) scents make me feel better.
    **Examples:
    Victoria's Secret - Pear Glace body mist
    Victoria's Secret - Secret Charm
    Victoria's Secret - Sheer Love
    Lancôme - Aroma Tonic ***** My favorite one!! Also is perfect for summer! very refreshing...

I hope you feel better soon!! ***/sends get -well hug!***
    ****Making the world a better place One Scented Hug at a Time.... ****

Anything I smell when I'm sick or getting sick will just remind me of being sick. I'm with hednic- avoid fragrances till you're better.

Hope you get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Anything I smell when I'm sick or getting sick will just remind me of being sick. I'm with hednic- avoid fragrances till you're better.

Hope you get better soon.
    ^ My scentiments Exactly! Don't take the chance of ruining a favorite scent. Smelling a perfume while feeling bad might turn you aginst it. I'd stick with peppermint as recommended, or my favorite when I have a headache or sinus trouble, eucalyptus.

OOOOOOH!!! CB 93 trust me, this is the fragrance version of oilbas oil. Im starting to feel ill. If i get a proper cold i will bust this out.

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Bond 9 Hamptons
    Get well soon!!!

Yuzu bath
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzu

Yuzu is also known for its characteristically strong aroma, and the oil from its skin is marketed as a fragrance. In Japan, bathing with yuzu on Tōji, the winter solstice, is a custom that dates to at least the early 18th century. Whole yuzu fruits are floated in the hot water of the bath, sometimes enclosed in a cloth bag, releasing their aroma. The fruit may also be cut in half, allowing the citrus juice to mingle with the bathwater. The yuzu bath, known commonly as yuzuyu, but also as yuzuburo, is said to guard against colds, treat the roughness of skin, warm the body, and relax the mind.

Basenotes Member

Look no further than Gucci Pour Homme II, thank me later

At the border between the world of healing and the world of fashion your question!Fascinating subject on which our ancestors new SO much more than we do today.Thre is an irrefutable connection between scents and wellbeing I believe. Take for instance some smells/scents that make one sick,give one a migraine,etc Through a similar mechanism they can sooth, alleviate or heal.
    On the other hand the fact that you don’t feel like smelling anything should tell you something.
    Twayla is doing some work on that and I'm sure many others but I've stumbled across her site recently hence the recommendation. She has a flue 'remedy' scent. And also a migraine one. She is describing the scents briefly-some inspiration there.
    Also,what are your soothing scents? Do you know what they are?They would be your first port of call when you are feeling ill. AromaOfTacoma has got some brilliant ideas there!
    I personally found that Opium (no pun intended) helps me with my sleep. Anybody else having soothing scents?
    I hope I'm not confusing you even more!
    Last edited by Le Chat; 10th April 2013 at 04:05 AM.
    Nicole

I was in bed for a few days over the weekend with a horrible fever and illness. On monday i went to the Dr, and decided to wear Aventus to his office. Im not sure why, im really not a big fan if youve read my other posts. Anyway, for some reason it actually smelled amazing to me, the weather here is slightly cooler so maybe that was a factor.

Back to the story, i got my antibiotics and went home to sleep and get better. Fast forward to last night, I was having trouble sleeping, I pulled my blanket around me closer, and I could smell the Aventus in it that I had probably sweated out (lol gross i know). I found it really comforting and pleasant, finally getting to sleep.

I have a higher opinion of the frag now.

This area of crossover between smell and healing is where all my interests lie and all my frags are going. I love the idea that a fragrance can smell wonderful and heal at the same time. Fabulous. An aromatherapist will have the major concern for the application being relevant to the needs of the complaint and the perfumer with the major concern for the aroma only and possibly none for what effect it could have on the body. Coming from the aromatherapy zone, this is why I love all these ingredients. How fantastic nature is to hand us all these remedies.

The balance of nature can be a wonderful thing. The fever that many normally treat with pills to reduce, is actually natures method to burn the germs away. A night of hot fever is so often then ended in the morning with a sweaty, weak person who is actually cured of the affliction and can then gently mend. (I am of course only talking about very normal fevers due to colds and the like and not life threatening ones).

Banned

The nature is the biggest and the oldest laboratory:-) that's why i like what mumsy writes.

May I interrupt this wonderful discussion to ask how the OP is doing? Haven't heard back from him since the original post. Hope it's not some of those recommendations oops.
    ION hope you're feeling better.

Absolutely... I hope no news is good news. Hope you're feeling well now ION.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Wishing that you feel better very soon.

Banned

Btw i read here on basenotes that comme des garcons 1 st perfume was made to heal as well, headache and sinuses problems, when i read that it was easier for me to accept how it smells:-) , i thought it smells like fish oil capsules lol...now i like it much more...nice incense smell...and really smells like some medicine

Just let us know you have survived our suggestions,Ion.A wink will do!

What about Coty's Healing Garden? Anybody tried it and having any thoughts to share on it?
    Mumsy,what say you on the matter of this healing garden?Any other healing potions you would recommend?
    Nicole

I have a proper cold now. And i wore CB 93. Very herbal and medicinal, real time i properly tried this fragrance. Perfect for a cold.

Am nursing a nasty little cold and don't usually wear perfume on days like this but I thought of this thread and found myself wanting Les Néréides Opoponax. It was probably the lavender overtones in the opoponax that were calling, and as it turned out, it was just the right thing. I don't know how healing it actually was, but it made a great comfort scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Chat View Post
    What about Coty's Healing Garden? Anybody tried it and having any thoughts to share on it?
    Mumsy,what say you on the matter of this healing garden?Any other healing potions you would recommend?
    I've been meaning to answer you. It is quite hard to find a list of their ingredients. This line appears to not be Coty anymore but Calgon which i always thought was a hard water softener brand. The someone called Ascendia Brands bought them. I haven't time to do any more research today but could comment when i can find out what the ingredients are.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Btw i read here on basenotes that comme des garcons 1 st perfume was made to heal as well, headache and sinuses problems, when i read that it was easier for me to accept how it smells:-) , i thought it smells like fish oil capsules lol...now i like it much more...nice incense smell...and really smells like some medicine
    MORE INFO ABOUT THIS PLEASE

THIS IS RIGHT UP MY ALLEY

oh god ive already spent my monthly fragrance quota. oh well...