Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Scent of the Day, Monday April 8

Hello everyone, kicking things off with the one and only Habit Rouge. Tally ho!

Wish you all a great start to your week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent of the Day, Monday April 8

Draining my sample of Zeta by Tauer for work today.

Have a great week, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good morning ladies- and gentlemen that will join later!

Sampling two O.P.S.O fragrances, today, neither of which I like

Araia- a plushy floral- and Carminia, a red berries- rose- jasmin combo. Both of them are quite dèja- smelt!

Hoping to drop at Excelsior store, later, and do some quality testing.

Have a nice day
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

L'Artisan Dzing!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Undergreen Gold by Versens

Basenotes Plus

Good morning !. Wishing everyone all the very best for the working week.

SotD is Creed Virgin Island Water.

Bonjour Mesdames!
    vintage Pour Lui

Good afternoon everyone. Day off today so doing a little sampling.

Hello all. Robert Piguet Visa.
    DONNA

Dior Jadore edp before reformulation
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Afternoon All,

Twinned with Ms.Tdem today.

Tally Ho! indeed

Hello everyone -

I'm in 1932 this morning. Y'all have a good day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Good morning everyone! Bleh, it's Monday, but I'm wearing Amouage Memoir to try and warm up this cold and rainy day.

Hope you all are having a great day!

Aqua Fahrenheit

Thumbs up Re: Scent of the Day, Monday April 8

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning. Today I am in one of my own, Neroli-muguet. Notes are: Orange Juice, petit grain, Neroli, Muguet, ylang, opoponax, coffee, flatbread, coconut. It's quite interesting at the moment. Feels very beachy. I added some salicylates to add a slight suntan lotion effect. The neroli and petit grain give it a nice green freshness, while the bread and coffee give it some contrast.
    The angel trumpets are opening up, wish you could smell this, it's quite intoxicating.

I'm indulging myself with a few dabs of proper Miss Dior (that's the real stuff that was formulated a very long time ago, none of your new fluffy nonsense which smells all pink and girly). My parfum was from the mid 80s and is gloriously green and unfluffy.

My day will be spent trying to keep a large general forum in the very leftist north of England in check on the day that many of them are planning parties because Baroness Thatcher has died. I may need to inhale lots of Miss Dior and drink plenty of tea before the day is out.

Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense this Monday.

I haven't seen any news yet, sfmedusa. I didn't know Margaret Thatcher had died. R.I.P. How terribly offensive to have parties over it.
    I'm wearing Maja this morning.

Good morning, quite hazy here but will be warm, in the lower 70s only to drop back down to freeze tomorrow. Oh well, our spring can't make up her mind, sounds familiar.

I like the fact -- again and again -- that we are including facts of our daily happenings here into our SotD posts. A co-worker and I will go to the hospital to visit a friend after a stroke (?). Sad news about Iron Lady indeed --does not really matter if you liked her way of governing the nation or not, she knew how to speak and present herself in public. Much much respect.

As inspired by our southern neighbor SotD yesterday,YSL Paris, Jardins Romantiques version.
    Last edited by Twolf; 8th April 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Bonjour, easyfish

Wishing everyone to have a sparkly Monday, wishing the same to myself too

Chanel - Cuir de Russie - current EdT

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good Morning Everyone!!! SOTD: Apecur by Houbigant EDP
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I haven't seen any news yet, sfmedusa. I didn't know Margaret Thatcher had died. R.I.P. How terribly offensive to have parties over it. ...
    I suppose the idea might seem shocking to outsiders. Countless thousands (millions?) of people in this country have been talking about such a party for decades, so we're rather habituated to it. A wee insight into British culture.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! We received a few inches of snow yesterday and there's more in the forecast for today. Oh well, it's still a beautiful day, it's my daughters birthday today!!! She's starting her OB clinical rotation at the hospital this morning, so she'll be having a very busy day. I'm hoping we can get out to Duluth to visit her in the next couple of weeks.

Wearing Jo Malone Fresh Mint Leaf from a generous BN friend and it's terrific! I didn't know if I'd like it, because I wasn't too impressed with the other Jo Malone, jasmine and mint or whatever it was called. The Fresh Mint Leaf is so refreshing, it would be perfect for hot weather. Which will happen someday, right? lol

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 8th April 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've cut my hair, sprayed on Creed Aubépine Acacia from a sample, and it's off to run errands again.

Have a lovely day everyone!

queen of the universe

TWolf, you are correct; Margaret Thatcher would have been a perfect basenotes member—maybe she was (;

Lillybelle, I love vintage Maja, the modern not at all. I have the vintage, both Spanish and Mexican manufacture, as well as Nueva Maja, that carnation bomb with the dark green juice which sings in the summer nights.

Back to work this afternoon, first day of grading period. Ornery HS kids back from break. Do I beat them with an old-school aldehyde, or do I slap on some Ralph Hot? Hmmmn, mustn't waste treasures on them, not in the mood for Ralph Hot. Aha! Weil Kipling, and old, old-school masculine (cacio says aromatic mossy fougere), layered with Tea Rose.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I suppose the idea might seem shocking to outsiders. Countless thousands (millions?) of people in this country have been talking about such a party for decades, so we're rather habituated to it. A wee insight into British culture.
    Thank you for the wee insight, Dr. G. I knew of course that she was not loved by everyone (to put it mildly - I've had more than an earful over the years from British friends pro/con), but the party did seem shocking to someone who didn't 'know'. Funny, isn't it, that there's noise from the Falklands again.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Lillybelle, I love vintage Maja, the modern not at all. I have the vintage, both Spanish and Mexican manufacture, as well as Nueva Maja, that carnation bomb with the dark green juice which sings in the summer nights...
    Jujy, mine is a recent bottle that I won on the "free to a good home" thread. I think it's nice. It's fresh and spicy and fougère'ish, a perfect pick me up for a morning runnng errands. I sampled the edp in the black bottle, and that was completely different, a deeper and sexy chypre. I wish I had bought that one when I had the opportunity. I don't know the vintage Maja, though I love the black wrapped soaps. Those are on my soap wish list.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th April 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Good morning friends. Easyfish, you smell wonderful!

I played in a tennis tournament this weekend and lost fairly badly, so I spent Sat evening pouting until a friend came over and cheered me up. Yesterday, I spent a lovely day setting up my patio fountain and enjoying the sound of trickling water through the French doors all day. Of course, now it is supposed to turn cold again, so my luck

AG Neroli today from the last of a sample. I'll keep fighting for spring!

Aww, sorry, cello! You'll get 'em next time!

Back to gloomy and grey here but at least our temps are in the normal range now. For how long, we'll see. Sampling SL Fleurs d'Oranger today, it's a "no". Not a huge ob fan at all but do like the L'Artisan much better. And if I just had to have an orange blossom scent, MFK's APOM would have to be the winner.

Have a good Monday, all!
    The nose wants what it wants!

It's been all about Chanel lately. 1932 wearing and sotd is Coco M. I gave the 1932 a full wearing the other day..gotta say, yep, a fb would be nice! Though expensive. The only thing is I find the 1932 doesn't last as long on me as I would want. I don't mind spraying more though. My sample is going like cherry Pez candy though, thanks again to the very lovely BNer who let me try it!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Twolf, I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope s/he has good prognosis.

So, I'm compiling a list of fragrances that I need to sniff while in Las Vegas next month. Based on everyone's reactions, I'm putting 1932 at the top of the list, as well as LAP Seville a L'Aube. Any other suggestions? (And, yes, I realize what a sweeping invitation to comment that is -- which is why I'm posting it here and not in its own thread. I trust my SotD peeps! )

30Roses, did you find a new bed for your mom? How is she doing without the caregiver?

I'm scent sisters with Twolf today in YSL Paris.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Diptyque Tam Dao.

Good afternoon everyone. The day is absolutely stunning, the reason the snowbirds come down here.
    Neil Morris City Rain. The 8yo came into the bedroom and said "it stinks in here!"

In the weekend I wore Mure et Musc Extreme, and I have come to the conclusion that it must just smell different to men than it does to women. To me, still, happy safe kindergarten teacher work-friendly inoffensive beautiful smell.
    But it is the only scent I have gotten straight-up 'you smell good' compliments on from males, and again this weekend, universally they call it as 'sexy'. It's not a straight guy/gay guy split, either, they weren't all straight guys. No woman has ever noticed it. Is this even remotely possible? Or is it just coincidence? I don't have a huge sample size, but I think it's up to 7 or 8 man compliments on this one scent and a total of 1 man compliments on one other scent, once, but that was from a guy who was chatting me up, so I am inclined to discard that one as an outlier.

Oooo, Jon's sandalwood sounds nice... inspired, I'm going to wear Laboratorio Olfattivo Cozumel today. Haven't applied scent today, as I'm keeping an eye on the pup. We got a puppy! She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, 11 weeks old now, and her name is Matilda (we just call her Tilda).

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hugs all around to our multi-national BN family, with an extra pinch to Whitefluffy's cheek. You folks add so much cultural texture to my perception of life. Thank you for sharing your stories from every corner of the globe.

Thanks to a dear BNer, I'm smelling Jo Malone's Iris & Lady Moore. In a blind sampling, I would have categorized this as some kind of tea scent straight away. At the start, I caught a glancing impression of JM's Lemon Tart, which I sampled a couple days ago. (As it turned out, Kalli, while LT fortunately wasn't like cake or frosting, it's fresh juiciness just petered out without going anywhere good or interesting. Darn. I was hoping LT would dry down more like Iunx Eau Frapee, which nearly won my heart in the freshness category.) Back to I&LM—seems like this could be one of those don't-have-to-think-about-it fragrances that you could spray all over and walk out the door. It doesn't tug in any particular direction. Come to think about it, geranium, iris and vetiver can be neutral players, so perhaps this would make for a good diplomat's scent. Not the fragrance for Margaret Thatcher, I suppose. I've read that hers was Penhaligon's Bluebell.

Update: I&LM drydown is not unlike Vetiver Tonka.
    Last edited by Quarry; 8th April 2013 at 10:24 PM.

ExtremeK, we came back, he is in a worse shape than we hoped to find him, four of his five children are there. Sad today.

Basenotes Institution

((bear hugs to all that need them today))

Woke up in a 'vetiver' mood. Reached for:

Vetiver vintage EdT by Guerlain

Later on it will be:

Vetiver Front by Les Nez

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Miss Dior

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Haven't applied scent today, as I'm keeping an eye on the pup. We got a puppy! She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, 11 weeks old now, and her name is Matilda (we just call her Tilda).
    Congrats on the new arrival

Wolfie, really sorry to hear about your friend - I do hope he will be able to make a full recovery.

Blog Entries

Gigi by Ayala Moriel this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

(((T))) I hope your friends condition improves.

Wearing Shalimar Parfum Initial this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Congrats on the new arrival
    Thank you, Jon!

Twolf, I'm so out of the loop right now, but I do send best wishes to your dear friend and you as well. Hang in there.

Concentre d'Orange Verte
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Congratulations on the new puppy, Turquoisewater! Photo please!

I'm wearing Annick Goutal's La Violette this afternoon, from a sample.

Today I'm wearing Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake.

Congratulations to you and your sweet new puppy, turquoisewater - what fun!! A new puppy ...that's even better than new perfume!

I'm in Agent Provocateur for the afternoon.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you, Evangeline. lilybelle, thank you, and done! She's over in the 'Off Topic' section.

Twolf, I'm so sorry. At a minimum, he is surrounded by loving family and friends, and that is so very important.

Just applied some Ilum Dean Fresco before exercising, from a sample sent to me by Schilling (thank you!!) Right off the top, the lemony-woody Fresco reminds me of the bergamot-woody open to Halston Z-14. I like it, on that basis alone. Interestingly, I get zero pineapple from Fresco. Perhaps HdP 1804 has spoiled me.

Cuir & Styrax by Prada

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Montale Greyland tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I haven't popped in for quite some time and it's nice to "see" everybody in all your fragrant glory!
    I discovered Anima Dulcis by Arquiste in February and it has been a go to scent for me ever since. Something about the deep cocoa note balanced with the red chili and a sprinkle of cumin - well, I know it sounds like something to eat, but the effect is more of a lush oriental than a gourmand. It pushes similar buttons for me that Shalimar pushes, which says a lot!
    Kisses to all!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Thanks to all, he is still not responding and I do not think he knew who we all were. He is going to the nursing home tomorrow, on hospice -- for comfort, primarily.

Nice to see you, rtamara, you were missed here.