Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Timbuktu by L'Artisan (my impression and my thoughts)

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    " The truth " lies somewhere in between describing a fragrance as a cheap product and an environment???

You mean this particular fragrance or any fragrance?
    i guess both

Chopwet, mate you more like swiss now, get with the program. Seem like you got tired of few things yourself if you decided to move. Yes noirs description of scent is a bit awkward, but speaking for the continent from Lausanne is a total disgrace in my book. Obviously in your book Lausanne Switzerland is at the heart of Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    You do know that some of us here are Africans, right?

While I find your review interesting your above comment is unnecessary. Timbuktu the place and the fragrance has nothing to do with jungles. As an African I am very tired of these images of Africa that people keep perpetuating. Please check some facts before attempting to add incorrect imagery to your review.

Having said that, I think the fragrance is wonderful. Although I don't wear it, I bought it for my girlfriend who happens to be Beninese and I think the combination of vetiver and incense suits her very well. So on those two points I fully agree with you. It has a dry feeling to it which I think is more appropriate to the place after which it is named.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The sweaty notes come from Cumin and Ambrocenide. I do not detect either Chamomile or Karo Karounde.
    The Karo Karounde note in Timbuktu is very binary for me: it is either loud and over the top or nonexistent. You might be able to pick it up on paper.
    Currently wearing: Kiss me Tender by NicolaÔ

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    And it has nothing to do with any Fougere, Royale or not.
    Quite right, David - in any literal, structural or olfactory sense . . . but since I'm the only person here to use the F word I assume you are referring to my earlier post, so I repeat, for the sake of clarity:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The thing from the Turin review that really intrigued me was his comment that Timbuktu had a similar Ďeffectí as the grand-daddy of menís fragrances, Fougere Royale.

I think this is where the Fougere Royale comparison is apt Ė itís compellingly, consistently satisfying but never shouts.

Where itís different from a fougere, of course, is that Timbuktu has a singular intensity about it as opposed to a three-tiered structure, (unless Iím missing a sleight of hand in the composition Ė which is quite possible).

Great fragrance in all respects.

Smells like liquid gold. "Weightless yet deep, it is not so much a perfume as an outlook on the world." Have someone else wear it and smell the sillage. Like most fragrances, that's the best way to know what it's about.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th April 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Basenotes Member

I get this really interesting note, about three minutes into it, that occilates between coffee and dung.

Then it disappears, and I mainly get sharp green mango cologne and smoky black incense.

Really beautiful.

I enjoy it, I think it's one of the most versatile L'Artisan scents for sure. I don't know if I'd buy it though, I tend to sway away from many niche fragrances. Possibly if I had the money I would. If I had to pick their best fragrance to represent their house though, I'd say Timbuktu for sure, because it's got a little bit of everything in it. It's sort of like what Sartorial is to Penhaligon's.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Basenotes Member

Coincidently the nose behind Sartorial and Timbuktu is Bertrand Duchaufour.

^ exactly my first thought, and yea they each do project the brand image quite well despite the uniqueness

Great thread, everybody (though you've made me add Artek to me "to try" list, so thanks for nothing. ) -- I just got a sample of Timbuktu, and find it so interesting. It's too early for me to think anything else -- but it's a really good start.

I saw today that Sephora sells a 0.5 oz bottle of this for US$30 -- a nice option if your bank account is a concern. (And by "your" I mean "mine.") They don't sell any other L'Artisans at that size, and even the L'Artisan website doesn't show them, that I could find anyway. Wonder where this came from?

Anyway, cheers everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Chopwet, mate you more like swiss now, get with the program. Seem like you got tired of few things yourself if you decided to move. Yes noirs description of scent is a bit awkward, but speaking for the continent from Lausanne is a total disgrace in my book. Obviously in your book Lausanne Switzerland is at the heart of Africa.

What on earth are you talking about?
    What do you know about anybody's reasons for living in a different country ?
    Are you seriously suggesting that because this guy no longer lives in africa he forfeits the right to point out the fact that Timbuktu is not in the jungle?
    "Obviously in your book Lausanne is at the heart of Africa"
    Have you any idea how stupid that comment is ?
    Astonishing.

One would think a lot more people would know where Timbuktu is by now - since the city (and the country of Mali) have been in the news almost constantly for the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by grasslands View Post
    Coincidently the nose behind Sartorial and Timbuktu is Bertrand Duchaufour.
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware. I'll have to check out more of Bertrand's fragrances for sure.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Thanks for making me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?
    What do you know about anybody's reasons for living in a different country ?
    Are you seriously suggesting that because this guy no longer lives in africa he forfeits the right to point out the fact that Timbuktu is not in the jungle?
    "Obviously in your book Lausanne is at the heart of Africa"
    Have you any idea how stupid that comment is ?
    Astonishing.
    Thankfully you took most of the words out of my mouth. Clearly us Africans have to remain in Africa otherwise everything one says is invalid including commentary on the places one might come from.

Since the fragrance is named after an African place and since the OP brought geography into his post, I felt I had to say something because all too often negative and downright incorrect images of Africa are circulated. I don't want to derail the thread by making it political, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    One would think a lot more people would know where Timbuktu is by now - since the city (and the country of Mali) have been in the news almost constantly for the past few months.
    To get back on track: I feel that the dryness of the fragrance better reflects the images of Mali and Timbuktu than descriptions of jungles do. And no the fragrance doesn't smell like "...the ambiance of Africa...." you could never capture such a thing in anything so simple as a fragrance. As if the whole of Africa were some homogenous mass.

I feel that a bit of politics is unavoidable given the current situation in Mali and the fascinating ways in which words and the world of luxury goods relate to serious things happening as we type. Just goes to show how one or two small choices of wording can make such an impact.

I wonder if the creators of the fragrance ever thought it could create political discussion. That's when fragrances get really interesting.

I think we should stick with threads about Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I think we should stick with threads about Aventus.
    Until some of the kids here pay more attention in Geography class, anyway

Aventus is in Italy, not Africa.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Are we seriously still on that subject?

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Are we seriously still on that subject?
    Yeah you're right. I shouldn't 've started about Aventus again

Timbuktu is a fantastic scent that is able to depict an image in my head; not many fragrances do that. Eagerly trying to find this for a good price, a unique one from L'Artisan.

Trying this for the first time today and this one has a weird opening. Berries, vetiver and musty incense with a hint of citrus. I find it rather interesting in the opening (where I'm at right now) but it smells dated, very musty, like my grandpas old lake house with 70s carpet and strange paintings. I hope this one progresses into something better. Anyone else picking up on the weird mustiness?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Trying this for the first time today and this one has a weird opening. Berries, vetiver and musty incense with a hint of citrus. I find it rather interesting in the opening (where I'm at right now) but it smells dated, very musty, like my grandpas old lake house with 70s carpet and strange paintings. I hope this one progresses into something better. Anyone else picking up on the weird mustiness?
    certainly wierd yes.

I'm into the middle notes now, which are lovely...but that opening...blah.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    certainly wierd yes.