Code of Conduct

Default smokey, peaty - any recommendations

Ok,

So my first post was yesterday, thanks for all the advice...

but time to get a little more technical, a challenge for you all..

Two of my favourite smells are Whiskies from the Islay and also Lapsang Souchong tea - they are both very heady, heavy, smokey, peaty on the nose..

It is the peat and smoke and not the whisky which I am after.

Is there any frags which mimic this, is there ever a time to where them..?

Alec

Default Re: smokey, peaty - any recommendations

On peaty, Amen with the tar rules, but I wouldn't categorize it as smoky, for heavy smoky frags, look to any incense based frag, comme des Garçons incense series, Andy Tauer's incense rose or incense extreme, Norma kamali incense are gd ones in this category or try jacomo de jacomo or Amouage tribute attar

- - - Updated - - -

Also look up tom ford Tuscan leather

You can get a smoky scent like Chanel Sycomore which is a slightly sour scent.

But you can also get Aventus which (despite what people say) is a peaty/smoky scent owing to the patchouli dry-down. It is a little sweet though so it depends whqat you tend to go for.

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano.

G-Man by Gainsboro (1971)

Cumming. It has the booze and peat and is very earthy.

CDG Tea leaves smells very much like a smoky and peaty lapsang souchong. Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum is also quite peaty, but it is very smooth - while I think you probably want something edgier and sharper. The strongest and sharpest smoke thing is Le Labo Patchouli, but that's a chemical explosion.

cacio

Bvlgari Black's rubber accord is supposedly actually a lapsang souchong accord (because all Bvlgari scents use a tea accord?).

I find drinking some Lapsang Souchongs permeates my body with smokiness and I swear my sweat and breath smell smoky for a period afterwards.

CdG 2 Man is a good smokey scent, although I'm not sure it really captures any sense of peatiness.

oh yeah... I know that feeling.

You're going to want to try L'Artisan's Tea for Two (chai tea like) and also, if you can find it, Cartier's private collection I think it's #13, the smokey black tea / bbq one.
    Also try Le Labo's Vetiver or particularly Patchouli since they have smokey notes. Also Andy Tauer Lonestar memories
    and finally CB I hate Perfume... one of a few like Burning Leaves, or his single notes for which there actually might even be a whisky/scotch one or something related

+1 to Tuscan Leather
    Things like Bvlgari Black, Midnight in Paris or Aventus and various incenses are related to the theme but spin off in other directions
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Profumum Fumidus

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Slumberhouse Jeke is very reminiscent of a single malt.

Sonoma Scent Studio Fireside Intense -- amazing, smoky fragrance with zero booziness. It smells just like wood smoke.

+1 on Tuscan Leather, but to me it smells more like cigarette smoke than wood smoke.

(I think OP said he was after the smoke/peat and not the whiskey...)

Yesterday I tested Le Labo Patchouli 24- not a patchouli at all, but one of the smokiest openings smelt so far!
    Another smoky one nobody has mentioned yet is Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir- and it also has a boozy whisky note...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    (I think OP said he was after the smoke/peat and not the whiskey...)
    Jeke isn't exactly like whisky. But it's smoky/peaty in a whisky-like way -- with that syrupy brownness about it -- rather than in a Lapsang Souchong way.

I would also say (oh, yes, you know it) the Norma Kamali Incense, especially the vintage version, which also had when I opened it a lot of the qualities of opening a single malt (without, either, being at all Scotch-scented) except that I'd hate to send anybody on that kind of wild goose chase.

Smoky/peaty/single malt are some of my favourite things too.

As you're in London, you are perfectly placed to try Angela Flanders' "Aqua Alba" and then tell if it is as scrumptious as I hope it'll be! I'm really hoping that there is a good peaty element to it.

Her website says "Aqua Alba is the result of the celebration of the art of blending. In this case taking the distinctive flavours and aromas of Whiskey, and translating these aromatic notes into the components of an innovative, mysterious and intriguing fragrance." (http://angelaflanders-perfumer.com/h...aqua-alba.html)

I don't know why the copy opts for "Whiskey", the Irish spelling, rather than "Whisky" for a scent that references Alba but I'm still planning to try it myself.
    Last edited by kitsch; 10th April 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Yesterday I tested Le Labo Patchouli 24- not a patchouli at all, but one of the smokiest openings smelt so far!
    Another smoky one nobody has mentioned yet is Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir- and it also has a boozy whisky note...
    two very good suggestions.

Slumberhouse Norne comes to mind. Only very slightly smokey.

The opening of Annick Goutal's Vetiver has a smoky iodine accord that will remind you of certain Islay scotches. I get a bit of the same from Etro Vetiver, at least in the beginning.

I second recommendations of anything with birch tar -- Patchouli 24, Fumidus, Lonestar Memories. Also, Le Labo Oud 27 reminds me of whiskey a bit -- or maybe warm white wine.

+1 to Cumming.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford