Code of Conduct

Default Dress shoes vs dress boots

Sorry...I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I've been doing a lot of reading, and that leads to questions.

I see that it's stylish to wear dress boots. My question: When? Does it matter when you wear dress boots vs when you wear dress shoes? Which looks better in general? I need to buy something dressy and black, but only have the money for one right now--shoes or boots? Will that be all I ever need, or should I own both?

Okay...multiple questions. Sorry.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Default Re: Dress shoes vs dress boots

If it is a rather formal office environment (e.g. suit), dress shoes are the proper footwear.
    If it is a casual dress code (e.g. jeans or chinos), you can wear both.
    If it is more formal than jeans/chinos but less formal than a suit, go for the dress shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    Which looks better in general? I need to buy something dressy and black, but only have the money for one right now--shoes or boots?
    Dress shoes.

Unless you live in Texas, or want to pretend you're from there, dress shoes. Period. Boots are of course great for the purpose for which they were designed. Which is not for formal occasions.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Unless you live in Texas, or want to pretend you're from there, dress shoes. Period. Boots are of course great for the purpose for which they were designed. Which is not for formal occasions.

cacio
    I'm not talking cowboy boots. The kind I'm seeing go just above the ankle. Leather. Look exactly like dress shoes, just go up a tad higher.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Indeed, dress shoes are a slight bit more versatile but also more appropriate for formal wear at the same time, yet classically designed, understated dress boots should be fine too, even if (most likely) just as a second option to more or less diverse selection of dress shoes.

Chelsea boots, like RM Williams Craftsman, work in practically any situation.

So...I think I'm going to stick with shoes with suits, but would like a nice pair of boots with my jeans. Again--nothing cowboy-ish. Something just above the ankle. What looks better: boots that you tie, or the slip-on kind?

Tie, if they are just a bit above the ankle. No-tie for the cowboysh variety. I am always opinionated here...

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 15th April 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    What looks better: boots that you tie, or the slip-on kind?
    It's really more of a question of what's more comfortable for you.

Theres plenty of nice dress boots (Allen Edmonds, Carmina, Loakes/Herring) out there that work quite well with suits and office wear and for the most part short of when you are sitting they appear as regular dress shoes. To be honest if boots and suits can get SF approved, then you guys shouldnt have much of an issue with them, we're not talking cowboy boots here.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Loakes do have some nice offerings, but I've never ventured beyond the bovver when it comes to boots.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Boots are of course great for the purpose for which they were designed.

- - - Updated - - -

but the boots is not fit for the formal ocassion

Basenotes Member

Black dress boots look fine, and I feel as they would be great for formal occasions. Only as long as you pick out a good pair. Dress boots can fit the look of an oxford, but be more "daring" in a sense.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_

I don't know your budget, but those are two nice looking dress boots, in my opinion.