Code of Conduct

Thread: Chanel Sycomore

Default Chanel Sycomore

Is awesome! Warm, cozy, woods, fireplace, comfort, hugs <---- That's as eloquent as this review gets. Just wanted to share my excitement for my "new" discovery! The only of the Les Exclusifs that I like, no LOVE. Must. get. me. some.

Highly recommend ladies and gentlemen!

Default Re: Chanel Sycomore

Agree. It's a wonderful scent.

Banned

I m not that impressed. I think the Vetiver in it kills it for me.

Sound Scents

It is a superb composition indeed, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I really like the association of this fragrance with "woods and fireplace". It's quite a unique association in my opinion.

Unfortunately the aldehydes have spoilt this one for me. But that dry down is soooooo luscious!!

Agree, to me Chanel's best Exclusifs along with Coromandel...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sycomore, next to Platinum Egoiste, are my two favorites from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I really like the association of this fragrance with "woods and fireplace". It's quite a unique association in my opinion.

Unfortunately the aldehydes have spoilt this one for me. But that dry down is soooooo luscious!!
    It really is luscious. I still have the card I sprayed it on a few days ago and it still smells good. Hopefully that is an indicator of it's longevity?

I keep walking by and taking random whiffs... sweet, earthy wood. Makes me feel grounded and happy. Therapy. I haven't worn this on my skin yet, though. I hope it smells just as good ON. I'll be so sad if it doesn't. Going to test this weekend!

Route du Vetiver & Fumidis should be tried.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    It really is luscious. I still have the card I sprayed it on a few days ago and it still smells good. Hopefully that is an indicator of it's longevity?

I keep walking by and taking random whiffs... sweet, earthy wood. Makes me feel grounded and happy. Therapy. I haven't worn this on my skin yet, though. I hope it smells just as good ON. I'll be so sad if it doesn't. Going to test this weekend!
    Longevity is good especially if you spray liberally, but that usually causes the aldehydes to project more. I got complimented on this one by a lady at my work whilst I was walking up the stairs. I didn't expect it from such a smoky scent. I think I might just return to a bottle soon....

adore this stuff

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    If you don't like vetiver, I think the trick is to avoid vetiver based frags!

Banned
    Blog Entries

i enjoy sycomore a lot.

I really, really like it, but it doesn't last long on me. 10 or 15 minutes at most. Probably I'm not liberal enough. However, I like how it moves through its phases of aldehyde, incense & sandalwood, smoky cannabis/herbal (must be the vetiver). It is special. Perhaps I'd do better if I sprayed it on my hair or clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Given that it's overwhelmingly vetiver-based fragrance, if you don't like vetiver, that only makes sense. As a vetiver lover, I love Sycomore. Fantastic stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Yup, one of the very best vetiver fragrances out there. A must-have.

Awesome, isn't it???! I wear it almost every day. Only full bottle I've gone through in years. Love how it smells, love how it makes me feel, love the compliments I get wearing it.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Love it, too!

This fragrance is magnificent. I'm not sure as to why this isn't promoted under the Chanel pour homme products, it would make a killing...but I digress.

A cypress forest is stuck by lightning, fire sets in a small portion of the forest. Where the ash of the slightly burnt trees lies, new grass and vegetation has begun to grow in the now slightly damp forest. The smell of ash and new vegetation wafts though the forest from miles away and finds your nose.

Longevity is good especially if you spray liberally, but that usually causes the aldehydes to project more. I got complimented on this one by a lady at my work whilst I was walking up the stairs. I didn't expect it from such a smoky scent. I think I might just return to a bottle soon....
    I think you should!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
    Awesome, isn't it???! I wear it almost every day. Only full bottle I've gone through in years. Love how it smells, love how it makes me feel, love the compliments I get wearing it.
    It is pretty awesome! Although, I'll know how I really feel about it this weekend after trying it on my skin. I so hope this works on my skin chemistry. I get so mad when I love a scent on paper and it doesn't work on my skin. Grr. Happy to see that other women wear this too, though. I've been gravitating towards men's fragrances lately, which is fine, but find this to be gender neutral. I love the androgyny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    A cypress forest is stuck by lightning, fire sets in a small portion of the forest. Where the ash of the slightly burnt trees lies, new grass and vegetation has begun to grow in the now slightly damp forest. The smell of ash and new vegetation wafts though the forest from miles away and finds your nose.
    Awesome. I just pictured that whole scene in my head. Chanel should totally pay you to do their ad campaign.

Something along those lines is what I picture. But I also associate the scent with the sea too. A log fire on the beach is how I first heard this scent described and it wasn't far from what I remember.

I think you should!!!
    Oh no, don't tempt me again!!

I'd go as far as to say that Sycomore is the best of all Chanel fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I'd go as far as to say that Sycomore is the best of all Chanel fragrances
    The only one I've been tempted to own!

Buy a splash bottle on eBay. They last a long time, plus it's only 1/4 of the price.

The only one I've been tempted to own!

I love the androgyny, too. I enjoy the contrast, since I'm otherwise pretty fem. Makes me feel kinda sexy & avant guarde.

And I, too, am drawn to men's fragrances, I'm finding. The other fragrance I'm really enjoying on me is DH's Aventus.

I think you should go for Sycomore!! Totally FBW.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
    I love the androgyny, too. I enjoy the contrast, since I'm otherwise pretty fem. Makes me feel kinda sexy & avant guarde.
    And I, too, am drawn to men's fragrances, I'm finding. The other fragrance I'm really enjoying on me is DH's Aventus.

I think you should go for Sycomore!! Totally FBW.
    FOO! You are a woman after my own heart. I could have written that myself, everything you said is exactly what I FEEL. And, guess which scent I am wearing/wore today? Aventus!! (My new fav).

As long as it smells good on my skin, which I will know after this weekend, I am going for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a splash bottle on eBay. They last a long time, plus it's only 1/4 of the price.
    Thanks for the tip, rynegne. Will check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I tried it on skin my today. I don't know if it was the intense heat and humidity here or the fact that I went to the beach right after testing it out (weird, I know but it was the only chance I had this weekend to test Sycomore and I have absolutely no patience to wait another week ) but I didn't love it as much on my skin as the other day on paper. Ugh, that is so frustrating. I still liked it but I just wasn't feeling it today, however I am 99% convinced it was the scorching heat and humidity that made me feel this way. The difference in the weather here in the course of a week is remarkable. Going to test it again when I'll be in the AC for the day. I'm not giving up on this baby without a fight!

On the up side, I got two free carded samples of VIW at the Creed counter without even asking. Yay for me! Saks customer service really is excellent.

What in particular did you not enjoy about Sycomore in the heat? If you're outside, strong vetiver fragrances, especially those aldehydes with a can be a bit sharp to the nose. Try it as a night fragrance, when the weather has cooled down a bit. I think you'll find the results to be more pleasing.

Yes, it was a REALLY hot day and it just seemed all other notes burned right off the skin except the vetiver, which I don't dislike but it did come off as a bit sharp to my nose. I also think I just wasn't in the mood for such a dry, smokey fragrance... I mean, the beach is not where I'd normally wear Sycomore. In such intense heat, I was craving something tropical, fruity or refreshing. I'm definitely going to take your advice and try it again at night when it's a bit cooler!

Wear it on a night out. I know it doesn't get super cold in South Florida, but you'll notice a significant difference. Also, if you plan on being indoors, at work or school give it a try then. Multiple factors could have effected the "smell" of the fragrance at the beach...sweat, lotion, salt water...plus I'm sure there's many smells around you that may have contributed as well.

Yes, it was a REALLY hot day and it just seemed all other notes burned right off the skin except the vetiver, which I don't dislike but it did come off as a bit sharp to my nose. I also think I just wasn't in the mood for such a dry, smokey fragrance... I mean, the beach is not where I'd normally wear Sycomore. In such intense heat, I was craving something tropical, fruity or refreshing. I'm definitely going to take your advice and try it again at night when it's a bit cooler!

It's the aldehydes that spoil this fragrance for me, but luckily they're in the openning so nothing too much.

I agree this fragrance shines in cool weather, especially at night. It's an elegant scent but works equally well in casual situations and I can see myself wearing it at the beach quite easily.

Wear it on a night out. I know it doesn't get super cold in South Florida, but you'll notice a significant difference. Also, if you plan on being indoors, at work or school give it a try then. Multiple factors could have effected the "smell" of the fragrance at the beach...sweat, lotion, salt water...plus I'm sure there's many smells around you that may have contributed as well.
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it another try. At night. Though, nights can be brutal down here this time of year too. I am going to be in NY in a few weeks so maybe I can try it there where the weather should be at least slightly less brutal.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the aldehydes that spoil this fragrance for me, but luckily they're in the openning so nothing too much.

I agree this fragrance shines in cool weather, especially at night. It's an elegant scent but works equally well in casual situations and I can see myself wearing it at the beach quite easily.
    I have read about aldehydes but I really don't know what they smell like yet. I know they are in frags like Chanel No.5, but I don't find a correlation between Sycomore and No. 5. I need to smell more perfumes with aldehydes when I have the time so I can become familiar with them.

Yeah, I agree it can be more formal or a casual scent. I just think it was the vetiver that wasn't quite right in the heat for me. As the day went on and the scent bloomed on my skin it seemed like the rest of the notes (which were present the first time I sprayed it) disappeared only to leave a sharp vetiver note. Which I actually didn't dislike...but it just wasn't right. I guess I'll only know by testing again in different conditions. Which I intend on doing. I'll report my results!
    Last edited by Infinity; 17th April 2013 at 05:34 AM.