Code of Conduct

Question What is my collection missing?

Hi guys,

I know these threads flare up quite often with people asking what their own personal collection is missing but what better audience to ask than Basenotes, especially since the answers are always different. I find myself constantly drawn towards gourmand-like fragrances with the odd fresh, aquatic thrown in here and there too. However, I always find it hard to look at my wardrobe unbiased so always struggle to see where there are gaps that need plugged and what shape that plug should be.

So looking at my wardrobe, what sort of fragrances am I missing and what would be the perfect buy to help round off my collection?

As a side note, I think its important to point out that I realise i'm missing a proper vetiver but I struggle to like anything heavier than Mugler Cologne/Original Vetiver so the likes of Chanel Sycomore and Encre Noir are a no-go i'm afraid.

Thanks in advance!
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Default Re: What is my collection missing?

Oud prominent scent? Maybe a Montale.

your missing a leather, a citrus and a vetiver.

How about Cariter Declaration or Essence. Both are really good and would complement your collection well.

Looking at your wardrobe, it looks like Comme des GarÁons 2 MAN might fit snugly into your collection. It has both the leather and the vetiver Nersh thinks you are missing As well as a great snuffed out candle and incense note!

EDIT: Might second Sticky Threads' suggestion of Cartier Declaration.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Oud prominent scent? Maybe a Montale.
    I have bottles of YSL M7 and M7 Fresh on the way, I just can't bring myself to put them in my wardrobe until they make it here safely.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Looking at your wardrobe, it looks like Comme des GarÁons 2 MAN might fit snugly into your collection. It has both the leather and the vetiver Nersh thinks you are missing As well as a great snuffed out candle and incense note!
    Sounds good, i'll definitely check this out next time im in town!

Neither the Mugler nor Original vetiver smell of vetiver, so I assume it means you don't like vetiver. No problem, of course, just a matter of preferences.

I also think you're missing a serious leather (Knize Ten, Bandit, Rien, Azuree, or what else). And an incense. CDG2 man would be a good starting point, as said.

cacio

Nice collection! You need whatever you will be satisfied with. Only you will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
    I realise i'm missing a proper vetiver but I struggle to like anything heavier than Mugler Cologne/Original Vetiver so the likes of Chanel Sycomore and Encre Noir are a no-go i'm afraid.
    Try Vetiver Extraordinaire, Mona di Orio Vetyver and Sel de Vetiver.

No Amouage in your collection? Epic Man, Tribute Attar from the house of Amouage.

No Montale in your collection? Black Aoud, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Sweat Orienteal Dream, Full Incense

No Tom Ford in your collection? Private Blend - Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood

No Serge Lutens in your collection? Ambre Sultan, Chergui

No Egoiste in your collection? For shame, Mervin!

Maybe something from Cale or Acqua de Parma(Intensa) perhaps.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I think you might really enjoy Etro's Shaal Nur. It's a semi-gourmandish/oriental, ultra smooth vetiver. You also might enjoy some Slumberhouse offerings, especially SOVA or Rume. Both are quite sweet but are much, much more than just sweet.

Nice collection
    A great beginner Vetiver is l'occitane Vetiver .
    Sweet smokey woody very nice and easy.
    Affordable as well.
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Banned
    Blog Entries

something floral such as le labo rose 31. or a decent cheap veviter azzaro veviter. also a fresh/clean scent such as clean shower fresh by dlish

Looking at your wardrobe we share 15 of the same fragrances so it's safe to say we might have similar tastes. That being said I would check out my wardrobe.

I think the first thing that comes to mind are a few dark, winter type scents such as Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather or an Amouage such as Memoir Man, Epic or Jubilation XXV (sample).

I'd also recommend a fougere/"nugere" such as Invasion Barbare. If you don't have the budget for that try 1725 Casanova as it's quite similar.

I am also a fan of The Heeley house for fresh scents. So I would check out Sel Marin and Menthe Fraiche. Hope this helps.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

IT'S A GOOD COLLECTION AS IT IS, if you ask me.

+1 on Heeley's Sel Marin.

+2 (is it 2? ) on Comme des GarÁons 2Man.

edit: Also you don't have any by Diptyque. If you can find a retailer, try their Tam Dao. A sharp invigorating opening, then a nice, light, warm, creamy sandalwood.
    Last edited by DaveStPaul; 9th April 2013 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    No Amouage in your collection? Epic Man, Tribute Attar from the house of Amouage.

No Montale in your collection? Black Aoud, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Sweat Orienteal Dream, Full Incense

No Tom Ford in your collection? Private Blend - Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood

No Serge Lutens in your collection? Ambre Sultan, Chergui
    ^&

No Gantier - Parfum d'Habit

No Tauer - LDDM

No Kilian - Pure Oud

& by the time u get here,

No $$$ to buy - get another job

Perhaps more classic fragrances such as a citrus like Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Homme, Armani Eau, Monsieur Givenchy, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post

As a side note, I think its important to point out that I realise i'm missing a proper vetiver but I struggle to like anything heavier than Mugler Cologne/Original Vetiver so the likes of Chanel Sycomore and Encre Noir are a no-go i'm afraid.

Thanks in advance!
    I would suggest that you don't give up on vetiver until you're convinced you don't like it in any way shape or form. There are only about a million different takes on vetiver. One poster here suggested Sel de Vetiver. I think that's a great recommendation because it has a light vibe and is so interesting.
    I also agree with other posters that you could really stand to try an Amouage. If you can stand that A*Men stuff you can handle Amouage. Epic is representative of the house.

A nice incense like Jaisalmer or Jubilation XXV

Also 1725 by HdP! BUY IT!

Other vetivers you might check out are CDG Vettiveru and Atelier Vetiver Fatal. Both are light and fresh and might be more to your liking than most straight-up vetiver frags.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys! I'll try to address as many points as I can in this message.

In regards to the lack of Amouage, Montale, TF and SL fragrances, i've found it hard getting the chance to sample a lot of these due to the really poor lack of choice here in Northern Ireland. We have one large House of Fraser which stocks Creeds and SL and thats about as niche as it gets. Of those I have tried though, I love Amouage Reflection Man (weirdly reminds me of Piz Buin aftersun which is a nice summer smell :s), Jubilation XXV which is a fantastic incense, Black Aoud but I dont know if I could pull it off, Tobacco Vanille which I have a small decant of, Neroli Portofino although this has poor longevity on my skin and we rarely get warm weather worthy of wearing it, Chergui although I dont know when I would wear it and Une Bois Vanille which I feel is a little too sweet and feminine even for my tastes. On the other hand, those I don't like include Cuir d'Arabie which made me feel physically ill, Tuscan Leather which I can appreciate is a great leather scent but I simply wouldn't want to smell like that and Ambre Sultan which is one of the few fragrances i've had to scrub off :s I'll slowly but surely pick up the ones I love but taking into account the price of these houses, that may take quite a while.

In regards to no Chanel Egoiste...I do have a small 5ml sample bottle of this but I feel it is still slightly too mature for myself. I'm a 25 year old guy and while I can appreciate the fragrance for what it is, I find Platinum Egoiste much more enjoyable and easier to wear (yes I said it... :s)

Slumberhouse is a fragrance house I would love to explore more but its simply not possible to obtain samples where I live unless I can order them from the likes of LuckyScent. Sova and Rume sound amazing and I would also love to try Norne but its not possible to get them in any store here and eBay is also out of the question so maybe i'll try to include them in my next LuckyScent sample haul.

As far as the suggestions for a fougere/neugere go... I have ordered a sampler set from Parfums MDCI and Claude kindly allowed me to get 3x Invasion Barbare samples and 2x Chypre Palatin. Having already tried Ambre Topkapi and deciding it wasn't for me, I decided to opt for the other two fragrances in the men's line. I'm not really getting Chypre Palatin either so i'm hoping to offload the two 12ml samples and explore some other fragrances instead. Now...in regards to Invasion Barbare...I need to be very careful. I absolutely adore the stuff and would easily place it in my top 5 of all time. The only problem is the astronomical price associated with the 60ml bottles. However saying that, when wearing this I feel like a million bucks!! Its a beautiful scent which excludes class and confidence and one that will hopefully be in my wardrobe for the considerable future.

So what I have gathered so far is not to give up on vetiver and also to try out some of the more niche-niche brands. I'll hopefully get a LuckyScent order placed at some point which will hopefully contain the following. If you have any thoughts or further suggestions, please do let me know.
    -Slumberhouse combination to include Sova, Rume, Norne
    -Amouage Epic, Interlude, Beloved, Gold, Memoir Man
    -Heeley Sel de Marin
    -Sel de Vetiver
    -Vetiver Extraordinaire
    -CDG Man 2

Thanks guys!

Mervin - Go blind, if you don't like them I am sure one of the Basenoter's will oblige to a heavily discounted bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Mervin - Go blind, if you don't like them I am sure one of the Basenoter's will oblige to a heavily discounted bottle!
    Unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to make big losses on bottles I don't like. Nice try though lol

Go buy a Givenchy Xeryus Rouge blindly!!!!!!!!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Mervin, you've got yourself a good list there. I'd also add that some people (like here http://www.basenotes.net/threads/288...bare-what-else) think Parfums de Nicolai's NEW YORK is a lot like Invasion Barbare, and it's 1/3 the price of IB, and you can get samples from luckyscent. So consider throwing in a NEW YORK sample if you go that route.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Perhaps more classic fragrances such as a citrus like Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Homme, Armani Eau, Monsieur Givenchy, etc.
    Skip these and go straight to Eau de Guerlain.

Nice collection Mervin.........I have to recommend Solo Absoluto by Loewe. Solo original is good, very good, and for me Absoluto is even better.
    It is impossible for something to be almost unique

Puredistance M.

+ 1 oud for sure. I recommend Black oud if you like rose, White Oud if you like saffron and Dark oud if you like sandalwood.

Mervin,

I think you're missing a nice oud. I suggest the best of them - Pure Oud.

(I have yet to try the Francis K ouds though)

for swap/sale: